• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Thankfully, it's not even a potential monopoly. There are still too many massive media corporations at play.

[quote[I still believe. President Warren is probably the only who can get this done.

lmao

She wouldn't do a damn thing. You don't know what you're talking about.
Ok that last part about president Warren was a joke. At best she'll be VP but that is for a different discussion.

Still wish people would take a step back and realize that idolizing a corporation like Disney, or any other corporation as being benign is not a good look. Disney clearly wants to dominate the industry, it's what all corporations want and people are just letting them get away with it.

OP
OP
jack_package_200
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't think one person in power spreading an idea like "this will make our audience uncomfortable" is something that can't spread, you might not be used to corporate cultures. One person says something that ten people hear that tell ten people and two more agree who let twenty people know they agree and so on. This isn't a strong reason to totally dismiss the topic.
Exactly, those from the top set the culture

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they have another studio brand to release these kinds of things under in the late 90s early 00s? Tf is the problem?

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll give Fox searchlight about three years before Disney shuts that down or turns them into fodder for Disney+

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Never said it was a monopoly. Just the fact that Disney now owns many multi billion dollar movie franchises including Star Wars, Marvel, Avatar , hell they also now own the Alien movie franchise. Their 20th century fox acquisition should have never been allowed to happen and people on this forum mostly defend it because "it brings the marvel movie rights back home". Now that to me is delusional.

Yes, unfortunately we've run out of new characters, stories and franchises, Disney owns them all now. It's not like someone can just come up with an original IP, like a movie with giant blue aliens, and have it become a huge success, it's just what Disney owns and that's it. Imagination is dead.

jey_16

Oct 28, 2017
I do wonder whether they actually did buy a entire film studio just for a bunch of Marvel IP, and is only grudgingly keeping the rest of the studio afloat now.

10 years from now, will Fox even exist outside a logo and some Hollywood real estate, once this acquisition fades into memory? At what point do they simply become a distribution label like Touchstone, something to be slapped on the front of pictures they feel are too mature for the Disney brand?

Did anyone really expect anything different? Disney bought Fox to mine the IP's and franchises with the bonus that Fox can be a label for anything too "risqué" to be released under Disney brand

Disney's original content output has been woeful recently and they are already cutting Fox films that don't fit inside the box, expecting Fox to retain some independence was a fantasy

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Never said it was a monopoly. Just the fact that Disney now owns many multi billion dollar movie franchises including Star Wars, Marvel, Avatar , hell they also now own the Alien movie franchise. Their 20th century fox acquisition should have never been allowed to happen and people on this forum mostly defend it because "it brings the marvel movie rights back home". Now that to me is delusional.
This is a mind boggingly stupid take

I'll give Fox searchlight about three years before Disney shuts that down or turns them into fodder for Disney+
They're already pivoting them to making streaming content, so that horse has already left the barn. All that remains to be seen at this point is if Disney bulldozes the barn or sets it on fire instead.

The one truly great thing Tom Rothman has been responsible for, and it's now in the hands of a studio that hasn't had any real investment in this kind of filmmaking in many years and was quite literally selling it off as far as Miramax was concerned.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Care to elaborate. I would be happy for you to convince me that I'm wrong to assume that a lot of users on this very forum only supported Disney's 21st century fox acquisition because it would mean that Disney would now own more marvel movie rights. That is the gist of what I'm saying in the post that you quoted.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Not wanting Disney to control the theatrical market gets you called an idiot around these parts. Less studios making original titles, less risks being taken -- even their streaming projects announced are whack ass remakes of old shit.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty amusing given the founder's predilections. Anyway it's literally one anonymous comment by one anonymous executive.

If they were yanking it from theaters then there'd be a story. And to be honest this movie tonally -- is going to have to land on a tightrope with one wheel during a thunderstorm. There's definitely precedent from stuff like The Producers but yeesh it's going to be an amazing test of Taika's ability as a director.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Care to elaborate. I would be happy for you to convince me that I'm wrong to assume that a lot of users on this very forum only supported Disney's 21st century fox acquisition because it would mean that Disney would now own more marvel movie rights. That is the gist of what I'm saying in the post that you quoted.
Because Fox was going to be sold no matter what and Disney was always the least evil of the options available, by far, and was also the smallest company that realistically could acquire Fox. This isn't even a subjective opinion if you do any sort of research at all.

Basing your whole hatred of the merger around the opinion of some nerds on a video game forum who focused on the one the one aspect of the merger that benefited their consumer interest the most is dumber than them supporting it for that reason.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
These are the natural growing pains of a new parent company where they are stuck to their core, winning principles and it is hard for a lot of people to adjust and be open to different things or change.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have a Disney avatar, a Disney cover picture, am a member of the Disney Movie Club, have a 3D puzzle replica of Cinderella's Castle, and three Funko Rock Candy figures of Mulan, Moana and Rapunzel in Ralph 2, so, yeah.
giphy.gif

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Because Fox was going to be sold no matter what and Disney was always the least evil of the options available, by far, and was also the smallest company that realistically could acquire Fox. This isn't even a subjective opinion if you do any sort of research at all.

Basing your whole hatred of the merger around the opinion of some nerds on a video game forum who focused on the one the one aspect of the merger that benefited their consumer interest the most is dumber than them supporting it for that reason.
Ah yes the good ol'argument of Disney being less evil than Comcast who already happen to own Universal Pictures. Both companies are aqually evil, there is no lesser evil in the corporate world. I can understand you accusing me of basing my 'hatred of the merger' on emotions rather than 'facts' but wouldnt that also apply to you? There are many marvel fans who wanted the merger to happen so that the Fantastic Four and Doctor Doom would finally end up in Feiges hands.

They could care less if now disney had the power to renegotiate deals with cinema chains to increase their own profits and potentially stifle the competition by taking up all the good release dates.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not wanting Disney to control the theatrical market gets you called an idiot around these parts. Less studios making original titles, less risks being taken -- even their streaming projects announced are whack ass remakes of old shit.

Some people around here couldn't believe that others thought that Fox would be better off under a Comcast umbrella.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes the good ol'argument of Disney being less evil than Comcast who already happen to own Universal Pictures. Both companies are aqually evil, there is no lesser evil in the corporate world. I can understand you accusing me of basing my 'hatred of the merger' on emotions rather than 'facts' but wouldnt that also apply to you? There are many marvel fans who wanted the merger to happen so that the Fantastic Four and Doctor Doom would finally end up in Feiges hands.

They could care less if now disney had the power to renegotiate deals with cinema chains to increase their own profits and potentially stifle the competition by taking up all the good release dates.
Ah the old "nuh uh both sides" argument.

All this shows is how uninformed you are about Comcast and that this conversation isn't worth my effort.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Ah the old "nuh uh both sides" argument.

All this shows is how uninformed you are about Comcast and that this conversation isn't worth my effort.
Ah yes the good ol'accusing the other person of being uninformed and running away from the conversation. I honestly don't care if you like Marvel films, its fine. But Disney is taking advantage of you as a Marvel fan to make themselves seem like the good guy.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes the good accusing the other person of being uninformed and running away from the conversation.
I have better things to do than waste my time with someone who doesn't due research and let's their opinion be entirely guided by what irks them on a niche forum. If you really think that Fox would be better under the Comcast umbrella then I'm sorry but you've let some bad stuff cloud your judgement.

Don't they have a sub brand to release stuff that doesn't fit the core brand image?
Ideally, that's the whole point of Fox anything, but given the scrubbing of Fox 2000 and the shakeups we've been hearing about the rest of Fox's slate, it seems like that Disney isn't interested in degrees of separation anymore. We're definitely a long ways away from the days when Disney had Miramax release Kids under a sub-label just so that there wasn't an immediately direct link to Disney putting out an NC-17 film.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I have better things to do than waste my time with someone who doesn't due research and let's their opinion be entirely guided by what irks them on a niche forum. If you really think that Fox would be better under the Comcast umbrella then I'm sorry but you've let some bad stuff cloud your judgement.
You are being entirely subjective to your own opinion and trying to masquerade it as a fact.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Worth it just for those marvel movie rights. Right guys?

Hopefully President Warren nullifies the 20th century fox acquisition. Disney is too big and should be split up, along with a number of other corporations.

Lol, my god you people jump to this even though it makes zero sense

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So one exec made a comment DURING a screening (so we know they're an asshole), and now Disney supports actual Nazis? Never change, ERA!

The easiest solution in the world, Disney:

Like I mentioned earlier, the point may be that Disney isn't interested in making Fox a non-Disney brand like Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures and Miramax were in some capacity years ago. Disney wants you to know who is behind their studios these days, even with the autonomy they've granted the likes of Kevin Feige and Kathleen Kennedy.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

You did it again! Gah!

I don't follow any of this and I don't have a Twitter.
What kind of stuff does Chris Evans post?

Oh man, all sorts of really weird shit: Long threads about his collection of 18th Century blood samples; photoshopped pictures of people on the subway with their head's replaced with insect legs; occasional rants about how the sun is electric and the energy companies are hiding it from us; repeatedly referring to anyone who isn't famous as 'plebeian'.

Dude has a fucking townhouse in Crazy Town, USA.

Last edited:

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Disney is due for couple of mega bombs if they think they can get away with their uninspired live-actions forever. I hope it happens as soon as next year.

There are plenty other better studios that value talents anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Like I mentioned earlier, the point may be that Disney isn't interested in making Fox a non-Disney brand like Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures and Miramax were in some capacity years ago. Disney wants you to know who is behind their studios these days, even with the autonomy they've granted the likes of Kevin Feige and Kathleen Kennedy.

Based on what? Disney's fanfare is no where to be seen in Marvel or Lucasfilms movies.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think this is a bit more concerning for future FOX films, from Iger himself that they're banking on Fox remakes like Home Alone and cancelling films like Lumberjane and others:
Iger told analysts that top lieutenants Horn and Bergman would be tasked with "redefining 20th Century Fox's film strategy for the future, applying the same discipline and creative standards behind the success of Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm."​
Looking for quick fixes, Disney has subsequently shuttered much of Fox film's development slate, intends to shrink its theatrical output and has ordered reboots of beloved Fox library titles for its direct-to-consumer platform, Disney Plus. Rival studio executives estimate that Disney essentially torched at least $50 million worth of development. Watts has weathered the transition as the sole senior leader. Fox Film CEO Stacey Snider left in the first round of layoffs at the studio, and Fox 2000 head Elizabeth Gabler announced a move to Sony Pictures last month.​
To be fair, Disney got more than just Fox's film studio in its $71.3 billion purchase of much of 21st Century Fox's entertainment assets. The company also bought Nat Geo, FX, and several other television properties such as The Simpsons — all are valuable brands that will help it as it tries to move aggressively into the streaming space. But the performance of the film division has been a source of concern and annoyance.​
Fox has several completed films set to be released by Disney through 2020, including "X-Men" installment "New Mutants" and an astronaut drama with Brad Pitt titled "Ad Astra." Many original scripts and optioned properties have been "paused" from going into production, one studio insider says. Disney is prioritizing making more broadly commercial projects, which includes ongoing work on sequels to James Cameron's "Avatar" and starry safe bets like the on-screen reunion of Matt Damon and Ben Affleck in the drama "The Last Duel."​
...​
Iger told investors that "reimaginings" of Fox library titles like "Home Alone," "Night at the Museum," "Cheaper by the Dozen" and "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" are all being ordered for the digital platform. Fox Family chief Vanessa Morrison is overseeing these projects. While Iger touted a new installment of "Planet of the Apes" on last week's call with analysts, little progress has been made on sequels to the sci-fi series.​
Gone are original films such as a slate of titles from British animator Locksmith. The company's completed movie "Ron's Gone Wrong," about a fleet of robots designed to be every child's best friend, will be released by Disney in November 2020 — but three slated projects, including a film about misbehaving fairies (pitched as naughty Tinkerbells) have been given back to their creators. A live-action version of the female-centered comic "Lumberjanes," from animator Noelle Stevenson, has also been canceled. TV kingpin Greg Berlanti will no longer direct the Jackie Kennedy drama "The Editor," but is still attached to produce it along with the movie musical "Be More Chill."​