• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
It seems the "Fox Searchlight will remain the same" had a short life span.

If they start hampering this branch it will suck.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
What do they mean by core audience?
Do they want to turn Hitler into wacky and misunderstood "cool uncle" and when kids go "wow, Hitler is so funny!" they would launch a full blown merchandise with Hitler plushies?

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
It seems the "Fox Searchlight will remain the same" had a short life span.

If they start hampering this branch it will suck.
The Variety article makes it seem like Disney is putting their chips on Jojo Rabbit being a 'major awards contender'. That is a major mistake.

Even though I have high hopes for the film due to me loving Taika, he's not going to be nominated for any big awards, his movies are way too weird. I doubt Jojo is going to be a huge box office draw, too. So in about 6 months we might very well see Fox Searchlight dial down or become an exclusive streaming company because 'disappointing results from Jojo Rabbit'.

This Disney merger is getting worse all the time.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's easy to see how making light of Hitler could make people uncomfortable. The original Variety article does not get into details, so articles like this are maybe padding the facts.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but does this mean they aren't planning to give Searchlight freedom to keep doing its thing?

It'll be a sad day if they close down Searchlight.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Have they really forgotten that they used to make anti-Nazi propaganda animations using some of their most well known childrens' IPs?

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
This is the lasted mention of Fox Searchlight from Bob Iger:

Fox Searchlight barely rated a mention on the call, with Iger saying only: "Fox Searchlight will continue to make the prestige films it's known for while expanding its high-quality original storytelling into the DTC space."

That take, which suggests that only awards plays are assured theatrical runs, could be a greater culture shock for the specialty division than for its major-studio counterparts. It would put Searchlight acquisition offers toe-to-toe with streamers like Netflix and Amazon (which is also becoming much more selective about booking theatrical runs).

Disney Declares Hollywood's Future: Big Movies in Theaters, Everything Else Is Streaming

I think they will not shut Fox studio down, but only the sure thing like blockbusters or awards winning to get theater release, everything else are straight to streaming services whether it's D+ or Hulu.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Worth it just for those marvel movie rights. Right guys?

Hopefully President Warren nullifies the 20th century fox acquisition. Disney is too big and should be split up, along with a number of other corporations.

Why? They just make movies, it's not like they make medicine or things you need to live. Geez, you guys get so hung up on your movies and videogames.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sooo somebody at Disney is worried that there's a movie making fun of Hitler or is my thinking dirty and wrong?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but does this mean they aren't planning to give Searchlight freedom to keep doing its thing?

It'll be a sad day if they close down Searchlight.

You're reading way too much into it. People act like Searchlight films being released on streaming, means the quality will not be there. This is part of the future, short limited engagements in theaters followed by release on streaming platforms.

This is what they are going to do with Amazon's possible Oscar worthy movies in 'The Report', Late Night and Brittany runs a Marathon.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Source? Because at the same earnings call, the article mentioned that sure fire hits and prestige flicks would still be hitting the big screen. Prestige flicks = Searchlight

I just doubt that long term. And by prestige films you might be excluding weird and different projects that are not exactly "award" movies.

I think the scope of Fox Searchlight will be impacted sooner or later.

Jun 26, 2018
Is this the same disney that asked if their fans wanted to be space nazis?
2019.04.14-11.53-boundingintocomics-5cb3c7fe8efdb.jpg

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
What if Hitler was one of us,
just a slob like one of us,
Just a stranger on the bus trying to make his way home?

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Source? Because at the same earnings call, the article mentioned that sure fire hits and prestige flicks would still be hitting the big screen. Prestige flicks = Searchlight

At best Disney pictures will make over $10B this year they may will never make close this again. But Netflix is now worth $130B, Disney wants that.
To compete with Netflix, Disney needs to make more movies not less that's why they bought Fox to help them ramp up productions.
We may only see only 2 or 3 Searchlight films on the theater each year. Make sense because most of their movies are making bank, release too many they eat others money. Everything else will go to streaming service.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I remember a time when the "Disney brand" actually meant something. Like the quality of work and the way one feels when watching their films.

But when you gobble up....well everything
You can't expect it to give you that Sunday night family movie Disney Vibes.

There is a reason why they have this

That's the Disney I love. I never expect a star wars/marvel/random Fox project to get that stamp of approval.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the concern. It's not going to have Disney's actual branding on it anywhere, so the average family who loves everything Disney won't even know about the connection.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
It's the ultimate cultural dystopia. But hey, Marvel movies amirite.

Lots and lots of people like Marvel movies. Fox Searchlight films are usually aimed at a relatively niche audience, therefore it is not unexpected that people care more about one than the other. In any case this seems like a simple problem to solve through a different brand name.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
just slap a different logo on it

think the exec might be overestimating how many people know the merger even happened

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Lots and lots of people like Marvel movies. Fox Searchlight films are usually aimed at a relatively niche audience, therefore it is not unexpected that people care more about one than the other. In any case this seems like a simple problem to solve through a different brand name.

Hell, I like marvel movies. That doesn't mean that I want all entertainment to be safe and watered down. Not everything has to be kid friendly.

Disney has published movies through other brand names before, Tarantino through Miramax is one obvious example. The thing that worries me is that Jojo is even discussed as an issue for them.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Somehow don't think there's a lot of overlap between core disney fans and people who see Fox Searchlight films..

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, watch more movies. There have been a ton of amazing and unique movies released in the last few years alone and they keep coming.

I do watch more movies. Especially from the non-american market. That doesn't change that mainstream blockbusters are dominating cinema screens in a way unlike ever before, certainly on expense of smaller, more creative films.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Disney's evil knows no bounds. They can't expect to control 40% of the market and demand all films fit their soccer mom family values branding. There's nothing wrong with R rated films!

It's sad to see a once great studio being butchered by Disney. 😭

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Good ol' disney
Let's not pretend that making the Space Nazis "cool" is something Disney started.
The way they have literal fascist marches in their children's theme parks and then sell tons of merchandise of the cool space fascist soldiers probably isn't a great addition to the zeitgeist or investment in the culture of the future.