• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yan

Oct 29, 2017
It's good to see they are investing that profit into their first party studios. Bring out even more great games in the future which attracts even more costumers.
I only wish they release more children friendly games like in the PS1 and PS2 days.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
That's not the only crazy fact today. For example, revenue generated from Sony's PSN in 2018 is higher than Nintendo's total revenue for 2018.

picard.png

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i didnt really understand before, but now i am fully aware of why MS does not reveal hardware sales figures anymore

Well they are poised to dominate if we forget 90% of the worldmarket where they don't matter at all in like many like to do on Era to show a more "even" picture :D

But yeah thats it for Sony anyway
Don't you all see how they are struggling since the Crossplay disaster?They are afraid

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Software sells hardware. PS4 simply has the best overall lineup for the mass market for years now. And their biggest game has yet to come. TLOU2 will probably crazy numbers.

Driver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Wow, Sony once again on top. I'm a bit surprised at this result considering all of the Switch threads about record breaking hardware sales this year. Congrats to both consoles for selling well be especially good for the aging PS4. Truely cant be stopped.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I was led to believe it wasn't the best selling console of 2018, so this comes as a surprise.

Man, when you spend enough time in NPD threads, you really do start to believe that America is the whole world huh.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I was led to believe it wasn't the best selling console of 2018, so this comes as a surprise.

Man, when you spend enough time in NPD threads, you really do start to believe that America is the whole world huh.
Well Switch and PS4 were very close in the NPD, and they are very close Worldwide. It's not that different really.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
PS4 is still a beast after five years. People in the NPD thread acted like Japan and the US were the whole world, but they forgot about most of Europe. They only saw numbers of France, the UK and Spain, but those countries don't even make up for half of the population. PlayStation is dominating here in The Netherlands for example.

Oct 31, 2017

Yup, it's why I don't read too much into NPDs. It's good to know how well the consoles are doing regionally but it's important to remember that there's a whole world out there. When you focus too much on one region's sales you tend to forget the rest of the world and live in your own bubble.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Because I just read it on twitter from David Gibson:
Are these numbers sell-in or sell-through?

Otherwise, still strong 5th year
Sell-in (shipped). Sell-through numbers are actually higher (18 million in 2018).
More like ERA bubble. Its like UK and France make all of EU. Bunch of small countries where PS s dominating. I live in south eu and xbox and switch re irrelevant. There s asia besides Japan. And its not like ps4 s isnt selling in west.

anyway, sony its time for price cut. 200 and build more userbase for ps5.
Hasn't PS4 sold more in UK in 2018 ?

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, it's why I don't read too much into NPDs. It's good to know how well the consoles are doing regionally but it's important to remember that there's a whole world out there. When you focus too much on one region's sales you tend to forget the rest of the world and live in your own bubble.
Yep. That's so awesome about the PlayStation. It's a worldwide brand, doing good everywhere.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats Sony, soon they'll run out of space in that "best selling console of 20xx" circle thingy they sometimes put in their vids ;)

Switch is a beast too, the race was pretty close. Next year gonna be extremely interesting to watch, I can see Sony still holding onto the crown if they do a significant price drop and a bunch of the remaining big 1st party games do actually release in 2019.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Really impressive so late into generation, beating Switch in its second year with its huge selling franchises Pokemon and SSBros. And also without great deals in December in the US, and with not great ones in Europe during BF either. They really have margin to do solid numbers in 2019 if they play with price and place the remaining exclusives strategically, especially TLOU2.

I really see them having trouble on how to manage PS5 reveal with PS4 still so strong.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Impressive considering it wasn't top seller in certain countries but still made up for the gap.
5 year's and still manages to be top seller ww.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
sony seems to have a grip on the smaller markets as opposed to the huge markets where they just have a good enough time outside of europe, but nintendo does exceptionally well in those bigger markets when it comes to game time in the christmas season. but is that sustainable for growth? smash and pokemon released at near the same time this year so that probably boosted things, but...

It's not like Sony is getting manhandled in those bigger markets. They're beating MS and they barely lost to Nintendo in the US. Japan is another story, but the odds that Sony wins in the US next years aren't exactly slim and that would be a really, really fun thing to see.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
Official price cut + 1 bundled game + a couple hundred Fortnite V-bucks and 2019 can still be crazy strong.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
That terrible Q2 really killed the chance at 20m

It may have gotten there had LABO been a bigger hit.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
See Nintendo, this is why you spread your release schedule. Eat some initial software sales to sell more consoles.
This is why you aren't in charge of Nintendo! Their software is there bread and butter. Pretty sure they don't care about console wars with PS4 selling 300k more...

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
That's not the only crazy fact today. For example, revenue generated from Sony's PSN in 2018 is higher than Nintendo's total revenue for 2018.

holy shit thats actually...scary?

I wonder how this stuff is going to affect next gen.

As someone who usually prefers buying games physical I realize this year i probably was about 70% digital because of PS+ sales and deals I got on PSN credit

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This is why you aren't in charge of Nintendo! Their software is there bread and butter. Pretty sure they don't care about console wars with PS4 selling 300k more...

Well, they're losing worldwide against a console that is 5 years old with their hot new thing and they sliced their forecast by 3 millions. Q1 and Q2 next year will tell the story of how well the Switch can handle software droughts.

The bottom line is that Nintendo is doing great despite a software strategy that is proving to be less effective than it could. They're aware of it and they addressed it in their forecast slash statement. I'm sure they'd want to do better, if they had the resources to.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

See, this is precisely why people who limit themselves to "who sold more consoles in the US is the healthiest company" statements end up having to eat crow. Nintendo has a lot of work to do.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Well, they're losing worldwide against a console that is 5 years old with their hot new thing and they sliced their forecast by 3 millions. Q1 and Q2 next year will tell the story of how well the Switch can handle software droughts.

The bottom line is that Nintendo is doing great despite a software strategy that is proving to be less effective than it could. They're aware of it and they addressed it in their forecast slash statement. I'm sure they'd want to do better, if they had the resources to.
Don't paint the picture like Sony sat on their hands twiddling their thumbs. At the end of the day Sony's first party drove sales, and when Sony is not there, Third party pick up the slack considerably. In my mind, it's a miracle Nintendo comes out on top at all. Just this month 2 heavy hitters in KH3 and RE2 which will be driving sales in Q1 for PS4.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

Despite PS4 being five years old, this was their second best year ever. And according to Ben and others, a lot of that was Fortnite in the US.

Last edited:

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
All that revenue and still don't have half decent customer service or refund policies.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
Someone check if Wescoast76 is okay.

The ban should be lifted, he deserves the chance to update all is posts claiming that switch was the best selling console of the year (based in his distorced read of news and comments).

Playstation 4 is a beast even that is doesn't have the portable factor and lacks of a long time established IPs like Nintendo has. Sony should have, in addiction of their actual library, more party titles and plataformer like Nintendo has. Recently they only try it with knack (with no much success) and Ratchet and Clank, they need to keep delivering titles like these, and hopefully create some icon chars like Mario.

2019 is 99% Switch year, the only chance to PS4 its a price cut and TLOUS 2 at 2019.