• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a monster the PS4 still is. After all these years. Congrats Sony! And by the way, are people really suprised that the PS4 is the best selling console in 2018?
Anyone doubted them? ;)

Sony's forcast for their full fiscal year is still 17.5 million.

PS4
Q1 2018 : 2,5M
Q2 2018 : 3,2M
Q3 2018 : 3,9M
Q4 2018 : 8,1M
17,7M

Switch
Q1 2018 : 2,93M
Q2 2018 : 1,88M
Q3 2018 : 3,19M
Q4 2018 : 9,42M
17,4M

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
As I said, those smaller markets add up.

Some people who were sure of Switch's victory just because it won some of the bigger markets didn't take this into account.

Deleted member 59

Nintendo goofed with their H1 schedule. That apr-jun figure is just atrocious.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Damn that Q2 for Switch. No wonder they revised their forecasts.

Genuinely surprised that PS4 sold more than Switch. All the buzz had me believing Switch was handily in the lead.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

I thought it was the Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf at that Nintendo Q2. Well deserved for Sony though; Spider-Man, God of War and the third party games such as Monster Hunter made it a great year.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because I just read it on twitter from David Gibson:
Are these numbers sell-in or sell-through?

Otherwise, still strong 5th year

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Plus Asianzone too probably (outside of Japan ofc)

sony seems to have a grip on the smaller markets as opposed to the huge markets where they just have a good enough time outside of europe, but nintendo does exceptionally well in those bigger markets when it comes to game time in the christmas season. but is that sustainable for growth? smash and pokemon released at near the same time this year so that probably boosted things, but...

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Last of Us Part II is going to break all sorts of records with this install base.

And people thought PS5 was 2019 😂

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
that's seriously impressive and more so that with Nintendo's adjustment downwards that they actually might stay neck & neck for fiscal year

Switch has been selling gangbusters but PS4 is still a beast 5+ years in

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS4 with the utter dominance worldwide. Really impressive. What an achievement after all those years on the market.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know who would've doubted it. The Switch has done very well but it was obvious the PS4 was selling more worldwide all last year. They just had an incredible software lineup. 2019 might be a different story though.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I will be honest, if you actually followed their quartely reports, you could have know that at the moment sony revealed in CES they sold through 18M units this year.
nintendo from january to late septermber managed to ship around 8m units iirc, so they would need to sell more than 10M units to surpass them (note sold vs shipped numbers means it needs to be more than 10m), and even with smash i didnt see it happening, and i was right.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
It cannot be stopped. I think with price cuts and bundles it will do it again next year (this year) no question.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sony seems to have a grip on the smaller markets as opposed to the huge markets where they just have a good enough time outside of europe, but nintendo does exceptionally well in those bigger markets when it comes to game time in the christmas season. but is that sustainable for growth? smash and pokemon released at near the same time this year so that probably boosted things, but...
Definitely Sony's big when it comes to fostering small markets, for example here in our country they offer regional pricing, official stores, conventions, fan events, sponsors, etc. You can't say that with Nintendo and especially MS which is pretty much non-existent here. Another thing too is, wearing my tinfoil hat here, PS1 + 2 being easy to pirate helped the brand a lot in third world countries. Those kids who grew up pirating those games are now adult with disposable cash to spend

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Definitely Sony's big when it comes to fostering small markets, for example here in our country they offer regional pricing, official stores, conventions, fan events, sponsors, etc. You can't say that with Nintendo and especially MS which is pretty much non-existent here. Another thing too is, wearing my tinfoil hat here, PS1 + 2 being easy to pirate helped the brand a lot in third world countries. Those kids who grew up pirating those games are now adult with disposable cash to spend

"but game streaming on youtube hurts the game industry!" says 95 year old man from his wheelchair

There are so many layers to getting people actually invested in gaming that goes beyond commercials and official shit like that, and in the modern era that's bearing out far more direct evidence

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Mostly comes down to Nintendo having an atrocious Q2.
Sony brought out GOW that quarter while Nintendo relied on Labo, which flopped bad.

Biggest new release for Nintendo through the first 3 quarters was Mario Tennis, the fact that they were able to sell as much as they did with that release schedule is crazy

Also, as others have said, Sony has done a great job fostering the PlayStation brand WW