• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Finally ended up with one of these, but I'm barely touching it until the next mod update comes out.

I thought I'd share a few of the current quirks/frustrations in getting this thing set up properly:

1. I added a 3.0 USB drive to go with it, but it can't currently be used directly on the Classic until the next update adds OTG support. No big deal right now as I still have a 2.0 stick that can add a couple of games in the meantime.

2. However, said 2.0 stick also has to remain connected to port 2 of the PSC if you want to keep running the homebrew. I've been told once I can connect the 3.0 drive that I can just move the mod files from the 2.0 drive.

3. I also got an 8bitdo adapter so I can use my DS4 wirelessly, as there's currently no other way to use it wirelessly. This presented two additional nitpicks:
A) Minor: the adapter blinks repeatedly, even if the console as asleep. No biggie, can put tape over the light
B) Major: using the controller with the adapter also produces a permanent mouse cursor on the screen, since apparently the PSC reads the DS4 like a mouse and keyboard. You can turn off the cursor using a button combination, but it isn't permanent and it also turns off the controller when you go back to the main menu (meaning you have to "wake it up" again and thus the mouse cursor returns).

4. I haven't gotten a clear answer yet whether Bleemsync or Retroarch provides the best optimization features. If I want to keep using the main menu for the PSC and have all the games neatly lined up on the same tray as the default, I have to use Bleemsync. Supposedly the next update will let you use the same menu with Retroarch.

5. I've also yet to find the best video/optimization settings, as both Bleemsync and Retroarch have their own. There's a video option that increases texture resolution, but framerate takes a hit when applied. This will require some extensive playing around until I get it "just right".

6. You can switch the region on the already-included games so that they run at 60 mhz, but it's not a 1:1 smooth transition and people have recommended you replace the games with proper NTSC versions instead.

All in all it's not up to the smoothness of the SNES and NES Classics in terms of modding. A lot of this hinges on when the next update hits, which will hopefully make things more convenient.

Oct 28, 2017
4. I haven't gotten a clear answer yet whether Bleemsync or Retroarch provides the best optimization features. If I want to keep using the main menu for the PSC and have all the games neatly lined up on the same tray as the default, I have to use Bleemsync. Supposedly the next update will let you use the same menu with Retroarch.

Mmh, if I get you right you would like to use the Bleemsync menu but play the games using Retroarch? But that's already possible. There should be a setting when using BleemsyncUI (then tool your using for preparing the USB stick) where you tell Bleemsync to use Retroarch as the default emulator for launching games from the carousel. Unfortunately I can't check right now how the setting is called exactly.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mmh, if I get you right you would like to use the Bleemsync menu but play the games using Retroarch? But that's already possible. There should be a setting when using BleemsyncUI (then tool your using for preparing the USB stick) where you tell Bleemsync to use Retroarch as the default emulator for launching games from the carousel. Unfortunately I can't check right now how the setting is called exactly.

Oh, good to know.

Right now I'm just waiting until I can use the 3.0 USB drive with it, and to also see if this stupid mouse cursor issue gets fixed.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I'm not breaking mine in until you can put games on it without a usb stick. Defeats the whole purpose imo. I guess you could use one of those micro ones, but even then, no player 2 right? I'll just wait it out.

Oct 28, 2017
What I'm also still hoping for is some form of lightweight scanline shader for use in Retroarch (like zfast). The available overlays for that don't appeal to me.
And when I tried to use a copied version of zfast, the resulting scanlines were somehow wrong.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm just about out of room on my 64GB cruzer. I have a 128GB cruzer (2.0) that I tinkered with but the PSC won't recognize it. Guess its a power thing.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Using RA's PPSSPP core, nothing runs at full speed on PSC, does it? I'm not sure if it's a config issue or what but nothing I have tried runs well at all.
My main interests would be the two Ridge Racers. Any hope right now?

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just a heads up these are on sales at Frys tomorrow (Sunday) for $30 so they are not only more powerful but cheaper! Saw it via Wario

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having an issue. I have a San Disk 32GB flash drive with a USB hub and it's still not loading autobleem.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Using RA's PPSSPP core, nothing runs at full speed on PSC, does it? I'm not sure if it's a config issue or what but nothing I have tried runs well at all.
My main interests would be the two Ridge Racers. Any hope right now?
That's interesting. PPSSPP runs pretty much full speed on my Shield Portable (which I think is much slower hardware-wise) but this is with the native android app. Didn't expect retroarch to be slower.

Well, just got my classic from that Target deal. Will be testing this out tonight.

Kamagii

Oct 27, 2017
South of Heaven
Very much debating this as I want a cheap way to play parasite eve 1 and 2 and considering if I bought them for ps3 classics I don't know if the upscale is better here or a rom.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody have any luck with Autobleem and covers? I've got all the cover databases, I ripped a few of my games, but somehow only Suikodens show up. I've literally copied the titles of the other games straight out of the cover art database for both the folder and the cue/toc files (and renamed the contents of the files) and it's still only matching the three Suikoden games (two of same region as the missing covers). They all play fine.

I know converting to EBP fixes that, but I've heard there's more bugs with those.

May 9, 2018
...whoever said "oh, it's so easy to hack the PS Classic" failed to say you have to win a damn flash drive lottery to get it to work.

Somehow my USB 2.0 drive didn't work but my USB 3.0 drive did (fortunately without using a USB hub).

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
...whoever said "oh, it's so easy to hack the PS Classic" failed to say you have to win a damn flash drive lottery to get it to work.

Somehow my USB 2.0 drive didn't work but my USB 3.0 drive did (fortunately without using a USB hub).
I can't even get past the "The initial hack is now complete" message with bleemsync. That's all I get over and over again. Not sure if it's my USB drive, already gone through 2 (the PSC wouldn't even detect the 1st drive I used).

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
May 9, 2018
Another thing people haven't talked about with modding: data corruption. Shutting down the PS Classic while the USB flash drive is doing I/O makes sense that it wouldn't be good for the USB, but I didn't expect it to behave erratically until it's formatted.

This is a bit of a problem with brownouts/actual software crashes. (somehow switching from a 1A power adapter to a 2A power adapter alleviated it for me? But the PS Classic is rated at 5W. idk.)

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
Another thing people haven't talked about with modding: data corruption. Shutting down the PS Classic while the USB flash drive is doing I/O makes sense that it wouldn't be good for the USB, but I didn't expect it to behave erratically until it's formatted.

This is a bit of a problem with brownouts/actual software crashes. (somehow switching from a 1A power adapter to a 2A power adapter alleviated it for me? But the PS Classic is rated at 5W. idk.)
Well, the USB drive requires additional power on top of whatever the PS classic is designed to do. So it makes sense that an 1A supply might not be enough in some cases, when both the device and the USB drive draw a lot of power at the same time.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I got mine last week, and had a USB that worked for it in combo with AutoBleem. However, my PSX emulation stutters when using the AutoBleem emulator, but doesn't when using RetroArch. Is this common, or could it be my old ass memory stick?

Last edited:

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Very much debating this as I want a cheap way to play parasite eve 1 and 2 and considering if I bought them for ps3 classics I don't know if the upscale is better here or a rom.
Honestly I think PS1 games look better on the PS3. I haven't messed with all the settings, but I can't figure out how to use retroarch and bleemsync is pretty barebones. Jaggies don't bother me, the PS3 emulator has them too, but the games just look muddier on the PSC.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Found a USB stick that so far seems to work for me: Sandisk Cruzer Glide, 128gb. This one specifically

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandis...2-0-flash-drive-black/5597768.p?skuId=5597768

Still need to test this a bit more though

Honestly I think PS1 games look better on the PS3. I haven't messed with all the settings, but I can't figure out how to use retroarch and bleemsync is pretty barebones. Jaggies don't bother me, the PS3 emulator has them too, but the games just look muddier on the PSC.
Retroarch defaults to having bilinear filtering enabled (under video settings). Maybe that's what's making things look muddy for you?

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone, Bleemsync 1.1 is out and with it OTG support so no more restrictions on usb drives, along with other improvements.

Apr 24, 2018
Can someone direct me towards a compatible USB hub and USB stick for this? I would be using amazon.ca, any help would be greatly appreciated

B_Mild

Dec 1, 2017
Found a USB stick that so far seems to work for me: Sandisk Cruzer Glide, 128gb. This one specifically

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandis...2-0-flash-drive-black/5597768.p?skuId=5597768

Still need to test this a bit more though

Retroarch defaults to having bilinear filtering enabled (under video settings). Maybe that's what's making things look muddy for you?

Just a heads up, I have that exact same model also in 128gb, and it didn't work until I bought a powered USB hub.

Not sure if it matters but I bought it via Best Buy Canada.

YMMV for those interested.

Although with OTG support in BleemSync, as long as one invests in an OTG cable, it should work without a powered USB hub.

I don't run BleemSync (I prefer to run RetroBoot directly) so the BleemSync update doesn't entice me to get an OTG cable though.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Just a heads up, I have that exact same model also in 128gb, and it didn't work until I bought a powered USB hub.

Not sure if it matters but I bought it via Best Buy Canada.

YMMV for those interested.

Although with OTG support in BleemSync, as long as one invests in an OTG cable, it should work without a powered USB hub.

I don't run BleemSync (I prefer to run RetroBoot directly) so the BleemSync update doesn't entice me to get an OTG cable though.
Huh, interesting. Yeah, I think with OTG support now available, this shouldn't be a problem anymore.

Do we still need to unplug the PSC before connecting a flash drive to the OTG adapter? I noticed that things still work swapping the flash drive in and out but I'm not sure if that would have a negative effect.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was mentioned before that I could have the PSC default menu (the tray of games) when using RetroArch. Anyone know how to enable that?

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, all. Finally bit on the Target cartwheel deal, and spent the last 2 nights adding Bleemsync and about 50 games to my classic (using Imgburn to create bins and cues)

If you can, I had a few questions about this that I couldn't find via google.

1. Is there an easy way to change the stock games from PAL to NTSC without using the keyboard method?
2. Is that why some of my NTSC games slow down at times? I noticed it during the opening of Clock Tower 2 (USA version)
3. How do imports work? I've heard mixed things on google. Are there any major hurdles if I wanted to add my own JPN or PAL titles?
4. I read on how to do different versions of multi-disc games and how they differ in loading (an RPG like the later Final Fantasies and Parasite Eve) versus those stand alone like Resident Evil 2. In that case, how do the memory cards work (the A/B quests, for example)
5. Lastly, has anyone tried using a language patch on any of these bins? (e.g. Clock Tower First Fear) Will it affect the emulator in any way?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So how well does Revelations: Persona run on this (performancewise) without hacking?

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've got OTG working, but right now I'm undecided which interface to use. I just want something nice that displays all the games, box art and all, but it seems if I want to use RetroArch then I can't use the default PSC theme.

Oct 27, 2017
Does the latest version change anything about the USB needing to be 3.0? Can you use any type of USB and/or hub now or does it all still need to be 2.0?

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
I have a question google couldn't answer; I know you can add games, but Is there a way to rip the games that come with this thing?

itschris

Oct 27, 2017
I've got OTG working, but right now I'm undecided which interface to use. I just want something nice that displays all the games, box art and all, but it seems if I want to use RetroArch then I can't use the default PSC theme.

You can use Retroarch as the emulator for games played through the regular carousel interface, here's how:

If you're on Bleemsync 1.1, you can set it to use Retroarch as the emulator for PS1 games in the carousel interface as follows:

Press L1 to enter the new settings screen from the boot menu. Then, change the "launch_ra_from_stock_UI" setting from FALSE to TRUE. Save your changes, and you're done.

The old way to change this setting, which you can still do on 1.1 as well:

Connect your Playstation Classic to your PC, turn it on and leave it at the initial boot menu where you choose between Bleemsync and Retroarch. Then, go to http://bleemsyncui.com/ in your web browser (if it doesn't load at first, wait a few seconds and try again).

On the web page, the settings are under Playstation Classic >> Bleemsync Preferences. The setting you want to enable is called "If TRUE then RetroArch is the emulator for Stock UI". Make sure you save the changes by clicking the Save button at the bottom of the page when you're done.

Here's a picture of the settings page for reference.

When playing a PS1 game, the default button combination to enter the Retroarch menu is Select+Start. When you're done with a game, you can press the reset button on the console as usual, or you can choose "Quit Retroarch" from the Retroarch menu to go back to the carousel.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can use Retroarch as the emulator for games played through the regular carousel interface, here's how:

If you're on Bleemsync 1.1, you can set it to use Retroarch as the emulator for PS1 games in the carousel interface as follows:

Press L1 to enter the new settings screen from the boot menu. Then, change the "launch_ra_from_stock_UI" setting from FALSE to TRUE. Save your changes, and you're done.

The old way to change this setting, which you can still do on 1.1 as well:

Connect your Playstation Classic to your PC, turn it on and leave it at the initial boot menu where you choose between Bleemsync and Retroarch. Then, go to http://bleemsyncui.com/ in your web browser (if it doesn't load at first, wait a few seconds and try again).

On the web page, the settings are under Playstation Classic >> Bleemsync Preferences. The setting you want to enable is called "If TRUE then RetroArch is the emulator for Stock UI". Make sure you save the changes by clicking the Save button at the bottom of the page when you're done.

Here's a picture of the settings page for reference.

When playing a PS1 game, the default button combination to enter the Retroarch menu is Select+Start. When you're done with a game, you can press the reset button on the console as usual, or you can choose "Quit Retroarch" from the Retroarch menu to go back to the carousel.

Did you happen to check the reply on the Reddit thread I made as well? ;)

Yeah, that was the method that was posted, but it's great you posted here too for other people who might be wondering how to do this.

Also from that same thread, here's a link to box art you can add for each game: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17AtsYXAH_eX-jj4l-6lsTdJ2dxz8Sl-c

Oct 25, 2017
does the transfer tool not work with chd files? If not, then what's the point of CHD support if you can't transfer the games to the stock UI? i must be missing something

edit: apparently theyre not adding CHD support to the Bleemsync transfer tool until they get chd running on the stock emulator. bummed to have to wait.

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seems the newest update broke vibration support for the DS4. Hopefully a fix will come soon.

I was also really hoping for custom menu music but it seems that can't currently be done without further work.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I completed the Bleemcast 1.1 upgrade, and I'm moving my games over, so far I'm not liking the interface. I actually liked the web interface and adding games that way, especially multi disc games. I can't get any multi-disc or multi track games to work on the new Bleemsync at all. Guess I'm sticking with my 64 gb stick until someone fixes it. Or maybe I'll try autobleem if they have OTG support now.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
What OTG adapters are you all using for this new update? I'm trying to find the one from the video above on amazon? Any help is appreciated