• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
I think I already had those from the previous updates, yeah. Hm I should look into the wi-fi thing, is it just for retroarch achievements or can you play games online?

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Pretty great list. I'll have to come back to this when I get home.
Thanks, it was really tough narrowing it down but I don't think I'll even make it through even half the games on the list so it's nice to have limits. I have about 1gb left on my 64gb Sandisk Cruzer Fit.
Your aperture 4x at 30% looks great! Care to share the Bezel + overlay?
Sure thing! It's just the Commodore 1702 from this guy's awesome photorealisic CRT collection cropped to a closeup on the monitor + a layer of scanlines. I uploaded some variants in a zip here to Mega. There's versions...
1. with/without Aperture Grill 30%
2. with/without the original glass texture
3. the bezel made darker and cropped a bit more w/ Aperture 30%

Just throw the png and cfg in your retroarch/overlay folder. I'm using the dark variant. eg.

rpoTrJ4.jpg

fkxI2qN.jpg

I26SsF2.jpg

Last edited:

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Hey!

Yes, considering that you wont be able to use real shaders, those overlays would still be your best bet. 4k may show the scanlines as being too prominent/thick at 100% opacity so feel free to try with 70% or 50% .

I personally switched to aperture grille at 30% (overlay) for SNES and PS1 games.

I keep bilinear = ON in the Classic as its closer to the CRT look with overlays, although I have it OFF on PC (with shaders).
Do these overlays work in Autobleem too?

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Thanks, it was really tough narrowing it down but I don't think I'll even make it through even half the games on the list so it's nice to have limits. I have about 1gb left on my 64gb Sandisk Cruzer Fit.
Sure thing! It's just the Commodore 1702 from this guy's awesome photorealisic CRT collection cropped to a closeup on the monitor + a layer of scanlines. I uploaded some variants in a zip here to Mega. There's versions...

Just throw the png and cfg in your retroarch/overlay folder. I'm using the dark variant. eg.

rpoTrJ4.jpg

fkxI2qN.jpg

I26SsF2.jpg

Thanks a lot ! These look good.

Do these overlays work in Autobleem too?

I only use Retroarch while inside Bleemsync. If you are able to access Retroarch and overlays while inside it, then it should work.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Man, I'm really not having luck with MGS in retroarch. Getting drops from 30 to 19-20 FPS during the Revolver Ocelot boss fight. Super hard to hit him with slowdown like that. I've tried Retroboot on two different flashdrives, tried the internal MGS and a 1.1 greatest hits ROM, and tried NEON, PEOPS, and PCSX1 cores getting the same result. Only thing I haven't tried is taking out the flash drive and playing up to that point again on the stock PSC. Is it like this on OG hardware? It can't be.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Man, I'm really not having luck with MGS in retroarch. Getting drops from 30 to 19-20 FPS during the Revolver Ocelot boss fight. Super hard to hit him with slowdown like that. I've tried Retroboot on two different flashdrives, tried the internal MGS and a 1.1 greatest hits ROM, and tried NEON, PEOPS, and PCSX1 cores getting the same result. Only thing I haven't tried is taking out the flash drive and playing up to that point again on the stock PSC. Is it like this on OG hardware? It can't be.
  1. There may be slowdown even in the original hardware and release. Watch some lets play videos and compare on the same scene.
  2. Get a FAST 2.0 stick, like the SanDisk Cruze 32 or 64 gigs
  3. Use the optimized Rearmed PS1 core for Bleemsync
  4. Under core options, don't enable 2X resolution and Speed Hack. Leave everything at the default settings.
  5. Don´t use any shaders, only overlays if you want to change a bit of the final IQ

Oct 25, 2017
So I am totally new at all this, I've decided to go with AutoBleem, instead of BleemSync after watching a few YT videos.. Mostly because AutoBleem seems more Noob friendly. Maybe I'll eventually try BleemSync... I love the OTG support and Wi-Fi idea, but not so hot on getting the internal memory of my Hardware tinkered with, (though I hear it's perfectly safe etc.)

I just have one question right now regarding AutoBleem, on their download page, which version should I download? Most Ytubers recommend the "
autobleem-0.7.1_Ultimate-full.zip" version, while I just noticed there is also a
autobleem-0.7.1_Ultimate-RetroBoot.zip

version with a bigger size. Now I knwo I am new at this, but I also want the "full" experience, meaning multi consoles, all retro consoles and game arts, flexibility with customization etc...So, what's the "RetroBoot" version, would I prefer that version over the full version?

Thanks.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
So I am totally new at all this, I've decided to go with AutoBleem, instead of BleemSync after watching a few YT videos.. Mostly because AutoBleem seems more Noob friendly. Maybe I'll eventually try BleemSync... I love the OTG support and Wi-Fi idea, but not so hot on getting the internal memory of my Hardware tinkered with, (though I hear it's perfectly safe etc.)

I just have one question right now regarding AutoBleem, on their download page, which version should I download? Most Ytubers recommend the "
autobleem-0.7.1_Ultimate-full.zip" version, while I just noticed there is also a
autobleem-0.7.1_Ultimate-RetroBoot.zip

version with a bigger size. Now I knwo I am new at this, but I also want the "full" experience, meaning multi consoles, all retro consoles and game arts, flexibility with customization etc...So, what's the "RetroBoot" version, would I prefer that version over the full version?

Thanks.
Retroboot is just aRetroarch distribution that works on the PSClassic. You'll need if you want to run games from other consoles because Autobleem comes with just the PCSX ReARMed emulator.
You get the choice to launch EvoUI (AutoBleem) or Retroboot when you turn on the console. You can also choose to launch games from other consoles from EvoUI if you installed Retroboot.

Oct 25, 2017
Retroboot is just aRetroarch distribution that works on the PSClassic. You'll need if you want to run games from other consoles because Autobleem comes with just the PCSX ReARMed emulator.
You get the choice to launch EvoUI (AutoBleem) or Retroboot when you turn on the console. You can also choose to launch games from other consoles from EvoUI if you installed Retroboot.
Thanks so much , this is the answer I needed, I am diving head first at this, but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, now I am looking on amazon.ca ( I am in Canada) for hardware essentials for my PSC.
Is this the OTG adapter I need if I want to use BleemSync and leave my front two USB ports available for the Controllers?

I also want to get the 8Bitdo adapter for Dualshock 4 compatibility, but goign by the last two pages of this thread, lots of peeps seem to have compatibility issues of games with the this thing and the DS4, should I get it, is it worth it, or hold off for now?

Admittedly, I hate the Classic PSC controllers, I know they are retro and all, but it's blasphemous to ship them without the analog sticks, if not also rumble, It's 2019 for Pete's sake. Also, I cannot be arsed to game with (short) wired controllers, I've been gaming on my PS2 recently and I just cannot stand wired controllers (anymore).

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
That link with the OTG adapter is for a pair: one has the USB-A port on the left and the other on the right. Only the first one will work because if the port is on the right it will be blocked by the HDMI port on the back of the console.
I haven't tried using the 8bitdo adapter. They are supposed to work with the console without any mods. It should also work with retroarch because retroarch has compatibility for a wide variety of controllers. I hear it doesn't work very well with autobleem.

Oct 25, 2017
That link with the OTG adapter is for a pair: one has the USB-A port on the left and the other on the right. Only the first one will work because if the port is on the right it will be blocked by the HDMI port on the back of the console.
I haven't tried using the 8bitdo adapter. They are supposed to work with the console without any mods. It should also work with retroarch because retroarch has compatibility for a wide variety of controllers. I hear it doesn't work very well with autobleem.
Oh Shoot! I didn't even realize about the location of the HDMI port, true that... Hmm, I feel like I am leaning more towards BleemSync over AutoBleem , due to controller compatibility stuff. Thanks

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Oh Shoot! I didn't even realize about the location of the HDMI port, true that... Hmm, I feel like I am leaning more towards BleemSync over AutoBleem , due to controller compatibility stuff. Thanks
I'm the same way as you about wired controllers. The 8bitdo is mostly great; it glitched out with my Crystal DS4 V2 for some reason and I spent waay too long troubleshooting that, but it works absolutely perfectly plug-and-play with my Black DS4 V2. I can't live without it now.

Anyway, I ran through all the same emulator options last month, so I'll give you my two cents. If you plan to get an 8bitdo adapter for use with a DS4 I would recommend starting with Retroboot Standalone 0.9. It's the lightest and simplest package currently, but also very technically customizable. Just unzip it to a USB stick, put some roms in the rom folder and go wild.

The 8bitdo adapter has various modes. It has a PS Classic Mode, but in that mode it does NOT support analog and rumble. In order to get analog/rumble working, you need to put it into X-Input Mode. The stock PS Classic won't recognize the adapter in this mode. Neither will Autobleem currently, as it doesn't support X-Input mode. Retroboot/Retroarch will automatically detect and configure it, easily. So if you want analog/rumble capability, you need to launch those games in Retroarch.

Now back to Retroboot. If you're new to emulators like I was, just know that Retroarch is a widely used emulator platform for the PC that runs "cores": the various engines that emulate older systems. Retroboot is just Retroarch for the Playstation Classic. It launches you directly into Retroarch. It has a plain dashboard but is extremely customizable under the hood. If you have any emulation problems with a particular rom, you can pick from a variety of cores and see which one works best. You can mess with all sorts of details like adding custom scanline overlays, high resolution modes, etc.

Now, Autobleem and Bleemsync have the capability to launch games into Retroarch, which you'll have to do currently if you want to use analog/rumble functions. But again, Autobleem doesn't support X-Input yet so you'll have to set the 8bitdo adapter back into "PS Classic" mode every time you come back to the menu. Also, a weird mouse cursor appears on the screen in Autobleem when using the 8bitdo adapter because the system thinks you've plugged in a keyboard. So yeah, that's my experience.

Last edited:

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I'm glad it's not just me. Seriously, what's the deal with the right side of the screen being cut off slightly when playing Street Fighter Alpha 3 on a PS Classic. I've not experienced that with any other game.
Oh dude, I was wondering that as well! So weird. I haven't tried emulating the game before so I wasn't sure if it was a rom issue or what.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm the same way as you about wired controllers. The 8bitdo is mostly great; it glitched out with my Crystal DS4 V2 for some reason and I spent waay too long troubleshooting that, but it works absolutely perfectly plug-and-play with my Black DS4 V2. I can't live without it now.

Anyway, I ran through all the same emulator options last month, so I'll give you my two cents. If you plan to get an 8bitdo adapter for use with a DS4 I would recommend starting with Retroboot Standalone 0.9. It's the lightest and simplest package currently, but also very technically customizable. Just unzip it to a USB stick, put some roms in the rom folder and go wild.

The 8bitdo adapter has various modes. It has a PS Classic Mode, but in that mode it does NOT support analog and rumble. In order to get analog/rumble working, you need to put it into X-Input Mode. The stock PS Classic won't recognize the adapter in this mode. Neither will Autobleem currently, as it doesn't support X-Input mode. Retroboot/Retroarch will automatically detect and configure it, easily. So if you want analog/rumble capability, you need to launch those games in Retroarch.

Now back to Retroboot. If you're new to emulators like I was, just know that Retroarch is a widely used emulator platform for the PC that runs "cores": the various engines that emulate older systems. Retroboot is just Retroarch for the Playstation Classic. It launches you directly into Retroarch. It has a plain dashboard but is extremely customizable under the hood. If you have any emulation problems with a particular rom, you can pick from a variety of cores and see which one works best. You can mess with all sorts of details like adding custom scanline overlays, high resolution modes, etc.

Now, Autobleem and Bleemsync have the capability to launch games into Retroarch, which you'll have to do currently if you want to use analog/rumble functions. But again, Autobleem doesn't support X-Input yet so you'll have to set the 8bitdo adapter back into "PS Classic" mode every time you come back to the menu. Also, a weird mouse cursor appears on the screen in Autobleem when using the 8bitdo adapter because the system thinks you've plugged in a keyboard. So yeah, that's my experience.
Hey Traxus, thanks so much for all the help!

Yeah So I spent my first night with Autobleem and Retroboot (Autobleem version) last night.

I have so many damn questions, it's worth noting I am very new to all this, last time I fiddled around with Emulators was probably ten years ago with Mame and PSX ..?! of sorts.

So many questions.. I have, I am using Autobleem, haven't even touched Bleemsync yet, I feel like I will have to, since I ordered a OTG (cable type) and a 8Bitdo adapter from Amazon and waiting them to arrive. I also found great success in using a 64 GB Sandisk Micro SD card with a USB stick adapter, over using a regular 2.0 Flash USB drive... I feel like the Micro SD card is read faster and more consistently by the PSC than a thumb drive, but maybe it's just me.

I like the simple XBM (Cross Media Bar) style (UI) of Retroarch. However I am super intimidated by the tons of options and customization, all performance and technical related, and I am afraid if I touch something and change something, I will never get it back to the way things were, so many options on damn Audio alone, there are also "Network" options, I donno how those would work on PSC yet??! I'd take it it's just there from Raspberry Pie etc.

OK Questions time, and I apologize in advanced if some of these have been answered in the back pages of this thread, I feel like if some of you guys can quickly reply to them, it will save me from sifting through 30 pages for my specific answers.

1) Does compressing your PSOne games to .PBP format files, affect game play performance, stability, , image quality (degradation) or audio degradation?
I ask because I started off with throwing a bunch of .PBP games in there, and I swear they didn't look good, sound good or run well (Soul Edge for example: Mind you I find Soul Edge's Audio quality to be poor to begin with, even when playing the game on the Original disc on my PS2. but audio sounded especially bad and muffled) Maybe it was due to the USB stick I was using that wasn't that good, before I switched to Mico SD?? I donno, then I tried putting raw .ISOs (in game labeled folders) and I feel like ISO files run so much better than .PBP, I could be wrong about this, I donno too much about the technology.

2) When entering "debug" (not sure if this is the proper term I am using) mode during a game with Autobleem (when you press Select and Triangle at same time) and go to turn on "frame rate" to observe the frame rate of games. It always shows a pair of frame rates, ie: 30.0 - 60.0 next to each other...

Almost all the games I played have had the 30.0 - 60.0 set up with both rates dropping (fluctuating) between cut scenes etc. then I played Street Fighter EX + Alpha, and finally I noticed the set was 60.0-60.0 .. which puzzled me, because I swear Bloody Roar II, and Soul Edge, both are 60fps games.

So what's the proper way to read the frame rate data on that display? 30.0 - 60.0 , is the first set of numbers the true frame rate?

3) Looks like Autobleem cannot support OTG without having BleemSync installed first. I was hoping to avoid BleemSync all together, so do I have to install BleemSync first to make OTG compatible with AutoBleem?

Anyhoo, that is all the questions I have for now, I feel like my other questions can be answered if I just do a little more reading and research on AutoBleem usability, since they are mostly AB specific questions. I don;t want to bore you guys with, I also have some Retroarch/boot questions.. I tried to play a few Dreamcast games, and almost all ran like crap with serious audio stuttering and some game slow down (molasses effect) .. there seems to be TWO Cores for the DC out there. I tried using the second Core for Soul Calibur, and the game ran buttery smooth and with amazing, enhanced resolution/ graphics.. looked and played great, yet a game like San Francisco Rush was a mess with the controls, sound and graphics, I donno. this ship is complicated!

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
1) Does compressing your PSOne games to .PBP format files, affect game play performance, stability, , image quality (degradation) or audio degradation?
I ask because I started off with throwing a bunch of .PBP games in there, and I swear they didn't look good, sound good or run well (Soul Edge for example: Mind you I find Soul Edge's Audio quality to be poor to begin with, even when playing the game on the Original disc on my PS2. but audio sounded especially bad and muffled) Maybe it was due to the USB stick I was using that wasn't that good, before I switched to Mico SD?? I donno, then I tried putting raw .ISOs (in game labeled folders) and I feel like ISO files run so much better than .PBP, I could be wrong about this, I donno too much about the technology.

2) When entering "debug" (not sure if this is the proper term I am using) mode during a game with Autobleem (when you press Select and Triangle at same time) and go to turn on "frame rate" to observe the frame rate of games. It always shows a pair of frame rates, ie: 30.0 - 60.0 next to each other...

Almost all the games I played have had the 30.0 - 60.0 set up with both rates dropping (fluctuating) between cut scenes etc. then I played Street Fighter EX + Alpha, and finally I noticed the set was 60.0-60.0 .. which puzzled me, because I swear Bloody Roar II, and Soul Edge, both are 60fps games.

So what's the proper way to read the frame rate data on that display? 30.0 - 60.0 , is the first set of numbers the true frame rate?

3) Looks like Autobleem cannot support OTG without having BleemSync installed first. I was hoping to avoid BleemSync all together, so do I have to install BleemSync first to make OTG compatible with AutoBleem?

Anyhoo, that is all the questions I have for now, I feel like my other questions can be answered if I just do a little more reading and research on AutoBleem usability, since they are mostly AB specific questions. I don;t want to bore you guys with, I also have some Retroarch/boot questions.. I tried to play a few Dreamcast games, and almost all ran like crap with serious audio stuttering and some game slow down (molasses effect) .. there seems to be TWO Cores for the DC out there. I tried using the second Core for Soul Calibur, and the game ran buttery smooth and with amazing, enhanced resolution/ graphics.. looked and played great, yet a game like San Francisco Rush was a mess with the controls, sound and graphics, I donno. this ship is complicated!
Yeah, I'm looking to install Bleemsync as well at some point to get OTG working. You can always go back and use Autobleem or whatever after installing the custom Bleemsync kernel. I'm interested to hear some firsthand impressions on how the 8bitdo behaves with Bleemsync, so let us know how it goes!

1. Bin + Cue files are ideal.
2. 60 is probably the framerate the emulator is outputting, which is always close to 60, while 30 is the internal framerate that the game is actually running at. The lower number is the one you experience when you're playing a game.
3. Yes, OTG requires the custom Bleemsync kernel.

Some systems are very difficult to emulate. Dreamcast might be one of those; I don't know. There are glitches and slowdown in most N64 games no matter what core you use, for example. I've found only a handful of games run without a hitch, like Super Mario 64.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm looking to install Bleemsync as well at some point to get OTG working. You can always go back and use Autobleem or whatever after installing the custom Bleemsync kernel. I'm interested to hear some firsthand impressions on how the 8bitdo behaves with Bleemsync, so let us know how it goes!

1. Bin + Cue files are ideal.
2. 60 is probably the framerate the emulator is outputting, which is always close to 60, while 30 is the internal framerate that the game is actually running at. The lower number is the one you experience when you're playing a game.
3. Yes, OTG requires the custom Bleemsync kernel.

Some systems are very difficult to emulate. Dreamcast might be one of those; I don't know. There are glitches and slowdown in most N64 games no matter what core you use, for example. I've found only a handful of games run without a hitch, like Super Mario 64.
Awesome, thank you so much for the quick answers!

Fake Edit: Yup, I guess by "raw .ISO" I mean .Cue and .Bin files (Been fiddling around with OPL a lot lately on the PS2, hence the .ISO lingo)

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

rpoTrJ4.jpg

fkxI2qN.jpg

I26SsF2.jpg

I mentioned this before on Discord, but I've never been a fan of scanlines in videogames. I totally get the purpose behind them, but in the end I prefer a "sharp" picture over a "blurred" one.

But I am open to trying out a proper scanline effect, especially since the PSC won't be capable of the same high-res effects you could pull off a beefy PC. Do you have any particular recommendations for compatible overlays/borders while playing off a big OLED?

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I mentioned this before on Discord, but I've never been a fan of scanlines in videogames. I totally get the purpose behind them, but in the end I prefer a "sharp" picture over a "blurred" one.

But I am open to trying out a proper scanline effect, especially since the PSC won't be capable of the same high-res effects you could pull off a beefy PC. Do you have any particular recommendations for compatible overlays/borders while playing off a big OLED?
I think sharp/blurry has more to with filtering off/on. A nice scanline can make the image look even sharper. I like the Aperture Grill 4x from the Bleemsync pack that Leo-Tyrant posted way back. It looks really good set to 30% opacity with bilinear filtering on. And I'm playing on a 55" Samsung KS8000.

If you want borders, I baked that same aperture grill texture at 30% opacity into a CRT monitor to create some overlays in that .zip from the post you quoted. I think it looks great; really reminds me of playing on my old CRT.

hqfUXke.jpg

This is what got me started:
Sure: Just download this and unzip in the same folder where you are seeing your lone scanline file now:

I personally recommend this one: "scanlines1280x720.cfg" inside: "bleemsync\opt\retroarch\.config\retroarch\overlay\rpi"

Opacity at 100%, scale 1. You can also try some of the 720p Aperture Grille ones, but use 35-60% opacity instead.

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think sharp/blurry has more to with filtering off/on. A nice scanline can make the image look even sharper. I like the Aperture Grill 4x from the Bleemsync pack that Leo-Tyrant posted way back. It looks really good set to 30% opacity with bilinear filtering on. And I'm playing on a 55" Samsung KS8000.

If you want borders, I baked that same aperture grill texture at 30% opacity into a CRT monitor to create some overlays in that .zip from the post you quoted. I think it looks great; really reminds me of playing on my old CRT.

hqfUXke.jpg

This is what got me started:

I'll give that setting a try, thanks. I assume the opacity can be set within the RA menu?

As for borders, I had hoped people made a bunch of custom game ones like the SNES Classic, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I'll give that setting a try, thanks. I assume the opacity can be set within the RA menu?

As for borders, I had hoped people made a bunch of custom game ones like the SNES Classic, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Yeah, opacity is adjustable in RA with a scanline overlay. If your overlay includes borders + scanlines it needs to be set to 1 or your borders will be translucent.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Oh dude, I was wondering that as well! So weird. I haven't tried emulating the game before so I wasn't sure if it was a rom issue or what.

Experiment a bit with Retroarch default overscan settings in the main menu (Under Video - Crop Overscan), and also while inside the game, on the PSXRearmed core settings, maybe it renders at a weird resolution but you may be able to "over" or "under" scan it. You may also want to check the actual overlay just in case.

BTW I have been rocking your modified overlay. I have some ideas for other minimalist bezels if you are interested (I dont have any transparency-editing tools).

Oct 25, 2017
So my OTG cable arrived today, so did the 8Bitdo adapter, I am just super reluctant on installing BleemSync kernels in the innards of my PSC chipset via hacking... I am all for Soft Modding, and not so hot on "Hard" modding, this option seems to lean more towards the "hard" modding... There's also a chance of bricking your little device, some say.

Having said all these, a) I love the look of a clean, cable OTG set up on the back of the console, where Player 2 USB port is totally open and free, for my other 35 year old friends to pretend they are as excited about playing (2 Player) PSone and other classic console games as much as I am.

And MOST IMPORTANTLY b) I believe it's essential to always have a dual analog, wireless controller controlling this thing, (Dualshock 3 or 4) if you're serious about gaming on it for more than 2 hours.

I lost count on how many times I knocked the 3 ounce heavy little device off the shelf , while I subconsciously yanked on the short, annoying cable of its tiny, limited, lackluster controller during intense gaming. Maybe not as many times as I found my thumbs searching for analog sticks during 3D paltformer and flight games, (Ace Combat series), but still, I knocked it down to the floor, a lot.

So yeah, can anyone using both, 8Bitdo and OTG can chime in and tell the folks at home how easy it is to install both and use them?

More importantly, how easy and hassle free is it to reset your Playstation Classic back to clean, factory settings (Classic theme with the 20 games) had you decide to uninstall Bleemsync, is that even possible?

Last edited:

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Experiment a bit with Retroarch default overscan settings in the main menu (Under Video - Crop Overscan), and also while inside the game, on the PSXRearmed core settings, maybe it renders at a weird resolution but you may be able to "over" or "under" scan it. You may also want to check the actual overlay just in case.

BTW I have been rocking your modified overlay. I have some ideas for other minimalist bezels if you are interested (I dont have any transparency-editing tools).
Thanks, I'll have to play around with the overscan stuff. Sure thing, just let me know what you're thinking; I have photoshop, a keyboard, and a mouse.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
More importantly, how easy and hassle free is it to reset your Playstation Classic back to clean, factory settings (Classic theme with the 20 games) had you decide to uninstall Bleemsync, is that even possible?
all bleemsync installs to the hardware is a tiny update to enable OTG. unplug the USB stick and you're essentially back to a stock playstation classic.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
So yeah, can anyone using both, 8Bitdo and OTG can chime in and tell the folks at home how easy it is to install both and use them?

BTW what OTG cable did you end up getting? I'm looking for the cleanest looking option.

Bleemsync is super easy to install; I plan to do it eventually for OTG. But yeah, I'd also like to hear if anyone has firsthand experience using Bleemsync + an 8bitdo adapter. Just searching back in the thread, it seems people were having that issue where the system recognizes the adapter as a keyboard and displays a permanent mouse-cursor in the upper left corner of the screen, which you can only hide temporarily by pressing a weird button combo. It's just a minor cosmetic issue but the same thing happened to me in Autobleem and I found it annoying as fuck. One of the reasons I moved to just using Retroboot/Retroarch.

edit: Actually, now that I think about it, AFAIK I could just install the Bleemsync update for OTG then go back to using Retroboot/Retroarch if I have any problems with Bleemsync proper.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
BTW what OTG cable did you end up getting? I'm looking for the cleanest looking option.

Bleemsync is super easy to install; I plan to do it eventually for OTG. But yeah, I'd also like to hear if anyone has firsthand experience using Bleemsync + an 8bitdo adapter. Just searching back in the thread, it seems people were having that issue where the system recognizes the adapter as a keyboard and displays a permanent mouse-cursor in the upper left corner of the screen, which you can only hide temporarily by pressing a weird button combo. It's just a minor cosmetic issue but the same thing happened to me in Autobleem and I found it annoying as fuck. One of the reasons I moved to just using Retroboot/Retroarch.

edit: Actually, now that I think about it, AFAIK I could just install the Bleemsync update for OTG then go back to using Retroboot/Retroarch if I have any problems with Bleemsync proper.

Hey! I ended up getting the cable ones from amazon.ca (Since I am in Canada), I think this is the exact same seller on amazon.com (U.S.)

It's $13 bucks Canadian for a pair, not too shabby, although the US version is about 2.50 cheaper than the Canadian at around 8 bucks. (Even after the currency conversion, guess that extra two fitty is going to border taxes or something. )

I got the cable ones, because OmegaX up there warned me about the blocky ones blocking the HDMI port on the back of the console. the block ones also look cheaper and most likely clunkier usb plug that may not fit well or/and droop/hang due to the weight.

Cable ones seem to make a lot more sense, they look more practical ( not blocking any other ports) they look cleaner with less clutter plugged into thee tiny Playstation consoles. AS far as built quality, with a quick visual inspection, they are your typical, run of the mill cheap Chinese, cables/USB ports.. Nothing to get excited about, but I did try to plug it in the back of the PSC and plugged my USB stick in, and everything fit nice and snug, so I do recommended them for now, but will definitely have a final verdict, once I have OTG up and running, until then I cannot say much about these things.

I also highly recommend going the Micro SD card route, I bought this 128 GB one for fairly cheap. Runs really well, it's super light and efficient, doesn;t require much power to run or generate any/much heat, unlike USB sticks. I house this thing in a Micro SD reader USB adapter, and I have the most low profile, clean looking set up. I like the look of a "sleeper" Playstation Classic, that basically looks like it's a clean, stock device, sitting on my shelf, no extra USB sticks and adapters, cables plugged all over.

I think I am just going to learn to adapt t to Retroarch and play my PSOne games through it going forward.

As clean, fast and nice as the AutoBleem experience is, I just don't want to fumble around with more than one controllers between games, fiddle around with mouse cursors on the screen etc. . I just cannot wait to abandon these God forsaken TOY controllers that shipped whit the console and grab a hold of a proper Dual Shock 4 and enjoy analog and rumble ( hopefully) I know it's not going to be THAT easy, but I am hoping and wishing.

all bleemsync installs to the hardware is a tiny update to enable OTG. unplug the USB stick and you're essentially back to a stock playstation classic.

ahh I see, cool cool, I will try to install Bleemsync for OTG compatibility tonight, if I get around to it.

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
Is there any indication of when, if at all, this is going to be in a place where its just as easy to add games to as the NES/SNES Classics? I was astounded by how straightforward that was. Normally when these processes are described as 'simple', it's by an enthusiast for whom these things are incredibly simple. But even for me, with absolutely no knowledge about this sort of thing whatsoever, it was foolproof. I'm interested in picking one of these up and expanding the library, but only when it's at that point.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Hey! I ended up getting the cable ones from amazon.ca (Since I am in Canada), I think this is the exact same seller on amazon.com (U.S.)

It's $13 bucks Canadian for a pair, not too shabby, although the US version is about 2.50 cheaper than the Canadian at around 8 bucks. (Even after the currency conversion, guess that extra two fitty is going to border taxes or something. )

I got the cable ones, because OmegaX up there warned me about the blocky ones blocking the HDMI port on the back of the console. the block ones also look cheaper and most likely clunkier usb plug that may not fit well or/and droop/hang due to the weight.

Cable ones seem to make a lot more sense, they look more practical ( not blocking any other ports) they look cleaner with less clutter plugged into thee tiny Playstation consoles. AS far as built quality, with a quick visual inspection, they are your typical, run of the mill cheap Chinese, cables/USB ports.. Nothing to get excited about, but I did try to plug it in the back of the PSC and plugged my USB stick in, and everything fit nice and snug, so I do recommended them for now, but will definitely have a final verdict, once I have OTG up and running, until then I cannot say much about these things.

I also highly recommend going the Micro SD card route, I bought this 128 GB one for fairly cheap. Runs really well, it's super light and efficient, doesn;t require much power to run or generate any/much heat, unlike USB sticks. I house this thing in a Micro SD reader USB adapter, and I have the most low profile, clean looking set up. I like the look of a "sleeper" Playstation Classic, that basically looks like it's a clean, stock device, sitting on my shelf, no extra USB sticks and adapters, cables plugged all over.
Looks slick! I have a 64gb SD card lying around I might try. I opted for the Inateck card reader. Hopefully it'll just sit nicely behind the console out of sight. I think I'll install the Bleemsync kernel over the weekend.

Is there any indication of when, if at all, this is going to be in a place where its just as easy to add games to as the NES/SNES Classics? I was astounded by how straightforward that was. Normally when these processes are described as 'simple', it's by an enthusiast for whom these things are incredibly simple. But even for me, with absolutely no knowledge about this sort of thing whatsoever, it was foolproof. I'm interested in picking one of these up and expanding the library, but only when it's at that point.
Sadly there's nothing quite like Hakchi. All the current easy solutions for the PS Classic require external storage but it's pretty easy. Here's a summary of the options: https://psclassicmods.com/

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Traxus I'm not sure if this is something custom shaders can fix, but I wanted to run it by you anyway.

As I suspected from the get-go, the Playstation Classic seems to output on RGB Full by default, which means if your TV doesn't have the right RGB setting then things can get overly dark to the point that it's virtually unrecognizable.

While manually setting my RGB setting to Limited would fix this, the problem is that it also affects any other devices I've got on that same port. I invested in an HDMI switch for all my Minis, so I may have to move the PSC to another port just for that RGB issue.

I was just wondering if any shaders or other settings could potentially brighten up the image so I don't have to do this.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Traxus I'm not sure if this is something custom shaders can fix, but I wanted to run it by you anyway.

As I suspected from the get-go, the Playstation Classic seems to output on RGB Full by default, which means if your TV doesn't have the right RGB setting then things can get overly dark to the point that it's virtually unrecognizable.

While manually setting my RGB setting to Limited would fix this, the problem is that it also affects any other devices I've got on that same port. I invested in an HDMI switch for all my Minis, so I may have to move the PSC to another port just for that RGB issue.

I was just wondering if any shaders or other settings could potentially brighten up the image so I don't have to do this.
Oh shit! Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't aware the PS Classic outputs RGB Full while the SNES / NES output Limited; I've probably been playing with crushed blacks this whole time. I don't have one yet but I assume the Genesis Mini is also Limited since it's from M2 as well.

I gave up on shaders since the only one a tried (crt-pi) caused my PS Classic to overheat. Unless you can find an overlay that just brightens the image...I would just put the PSC on a separate input. But yeah, with all the Mini consoles now it would be nice to have them on a single switch without menu diving to change TV settings. That sucks.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Can I just say, all those numerous people across the interwebs who recommended the Inateck OTG card reader without mentioning it has a proprietary USB power cable that's only 4 fucking inches long must have some wack-ass setups. My 6-port USB charger that I have hidden in the depths of my TV cabinet would have to be literally sitting on top of my PS Classic for this dinky little cable to reach. I figured I could power it with any USB -> micro-USB cable like every other OTG device out there, but nope.

Oct 25, 2017
Surely all these topics have been discussed here, probably a million times over, but as a noob to all these; I am going to report my experience, anyhoo...

The good the bad and the ugly ...

The Good: OTG - BleemSync Kernel injection and file Back up was a breeze. Running on OTG now... Feels fresh man, no clutter around this tiny, uninspired by Sony Co. machine.

The Bad: AutoBleem don't recognize the Dualshock 4 as a Dualshock, (8Bitdo adapter plugged in) it still thinks it's a Classic controller. So kinda useless, as you can only use the left stick, No right stick, No rumble, and that mouse cursor on the top left corner!! Grosss!.

The Ugly: With its almost unlimited options and customization, I still cannot get the DS4 to work properly in Retroarch. I set the Controller (pad) settings to Dual-shock 4 upon playing one of my favorite games Ace Combat 3, again, it wont recognize the right stick nor rumble, etc. And left stick also becomes the right stick ( commands) ..
I donno, maybe it is just the game, ( admittedly, I did not get a chance to try out other games to see how well they utilize the DS4)

I am super sleepy, time for
bed.

Last edited:

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can I just say, all those numerous people across the interwebs who recommended the Inateck OTG card reader without mentioning it has a proprietary USB power cable that's only 4 fucking inches long must have some wack-ass setups. My 6-port USB charger that I have hidden in the depths of my TV cabinet would have to be literally sitting on top of my PS Classic for this dinky little cable to reach. I figured I could power it with any USB -> micro-USB cable like every other OTG device out there, but nope.
Would a USB cable extension work?

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
The Ugly: With its almost unlimited options and customization, I still cannot get the DS4 to work properly in Retroarch. I set the Controller (pad) settings to Dual-shock 4 upon playing one of my favorite games Ace Combat 3, again, it wont recognize the right stick nor rumble, etc. And left stick also becomes the right stick ( commands) ..
I donno, maybe it is just the game, ( admittedly, I did not get a chance to try out other games to see how well they utilize the DS4)
This worked for me in Retroboot.
  1. Load Retroarch (I use Retroboot, which is just a standalone launcher for Retroarch on the PS Classic)
  2. Hold the SELECT+UP buttons (Share+Up on the DS4) for 3 seconds to put the 8bitdo adapter into "X-INPUT" mode
  3. Start Ape Escape or any game you want to use Dualshock capabilities in
  4. Press SELECT+START to open menu (Share+Options on the DS4, or just the PS button)
  5. Scroll down to game OPTIONS
  6. Change game pad 1 and 2 from STANDARD to DUALSHOCK
  7. Create Config using option at the top to save changes
  8. Resume game, enjoy. Game options are saved so you never have to mess with the settings again.
  9. Repeat steps 3-8 for any game that uses analog/rumble

Chronokeys

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Am i the only one who has issues with the d-pad? I always get false inputs if i press the sides of any direction, i.e. pressing the bottom side of the right button will register a down input, this happens with all direction in both gamepads. Really makes playing anything imposible in the damn thing and I never see anyone complaining about it, or maybe I haven't looked hard but, is this a thing for anyone else?

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
I'm really considering getting one of these now. How easy or viable is it to have this working with a huge ps1 catalogue and say retroarch too with a load of older systems running on it?

Oct 25, 2017
This worked for me in Retroboot.
  1. Load Retroarch (I use Retroboot, which is just a standalone launcher for Retroarch on the PS Classic)
  2. Hold the SELECT+UP buttons (Share+Up on the DS4) for 3 seconds to put the 8bitdo adapter into "X-INPUT" mode
  3. Start Ape Escape or any game you want to use Dualshock capabilities in
  4. Press SELECT+START to open menu (Share+Options on the DS4, or just the PS button)
  5. Scroll down to game OPTIONS
  6. Change game pad 1 and 2 from STANDARD to DUALSHOCK
  7. Create Config using option at the top to save changes
  8. Resume game, enjoy. Game options are saved so you never have to mess with the settings again.
  9. Repeat steps 3-8 for any game that uses analog/rumble
OH Man! Traxus coming through again! Thanks so much buddy!

I know you've posted these exact same instruction a numerous times before, but thanks for the patience and letting us newbs know about it when we are finally "crossing that bridge" .

I now finally feel like the (my) Playstation Classic has reached its full potential.

Playing Ace Combat 3 with a full functioning Dualshcok 4, with both analog sticks working perfectly and the rumble, FeelGoodMan!

I just have one question: Do you always have to put 8Bitdo in "X-INPUT" mode, every time you fire up the console (Step 2) ?

I take it, you do, but regardless, it seems okay, not a big deal.

Also worth noting to Dualshock 4 users, you WILL know when your controller is in X INPUT mode when the light bar turns from its standard Blue light to Green , and funny enough while on X INPUT Mode, RetroArch seems the DS4 as an Xbox360 controller, as it would I guess on a Raspberry Pie 3 or a PC.

Am i the only one who has issues with the d-pad? I always get false inputs if i press the sides of any direction, i.e. pressing the bottom side of the right button will register a down input, this happens with all direction in both gamepads. Really makes playing anything imposible in the damn thing and I never see anyone complaining about it, or maybe I haven't looked hard but, is this a thing for anyone else?

hmm you mean the Classic controllers that come with the device? I donno how that is happening, I never experienced that...
Does this happen in Retroarch, Autobleem or Bleemsync? have you tinkered a lot with the console? ie; opened it up, hard mod?
I mean I would say to unplug and re plug them in, but surely you've tried that already.

Last edited:

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The months long legacy of seeing these gather dust at my local walmart is nearly at an end. The cut down to $30 finally got some people to buy them. There are only two left on the shelves.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
OH Man! Traxus coming through again! Thanks so much buddy!

I know you've posted these exact same instruction a numerous times before, but thanks for the patience and letting us newbs know about it when we are finally "crossing that bridge" .

I now finally feel like the (my) Playstation Classic has reached its full potential.

Playing Ace Combat 3 with a full functioning Dualshcok 4, with both analog sticks working perfectly and the rumble, FeelGoodMan!

I just have one question: Do you always have to put 8Bitdo in "X-INPUT" mode, every time you fire up the console (Step 2) ?

I take it, you do, but regardless, it seems okay, not a big deal.
Nope! The adapter stays in whatever mode you leave it. The DS4 light should always turn green when it connects and Retroarch will recognize it as the Microsoft Xbox 360 controller .cfg from the autoconfig folder "Xbox 360 Pad".

If you get tired of seeing the autoconfig popup, you can turn off notifications by digging around in the RA settings and disabling two options: Menu Widgets, and Display Onscreen Notifications.

Oct 25, 2017
Cool cool cool, Is it just me or PSOne games look much nicer when played through RetorArch as oppose to AutoBleem? Whatever filters etc it uses, makes the graphics look more enhanced and softer?

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Cool cool cool, Is it just me or PSOne games look much nicer when played through RetorArch as oppose to AutoBleem? Whatever filters etc it uses, makes the graphics look more enhanced and softer?

Not sure about that specifically, but I have noticed when using the the stock PCSX reArmed emulator in Autobleem it causes some strange visual glitches on 2D sprites when you turn on hi-res enhanced mode. However when using one of the cores in Retroarch with hi-res on sprites appear perfectly fine. It's a shame because I much prefer UI and general usability of Autobleem more than in Retroboot.

Chronokeys

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
hmm you mean the Classic controllers that come with the device? I donno how that is happening, I never experienced that...
Does this happen in Retroarch, Autobleem or Bleemsync? have you tinkered a lot with the console? ie; opened it up, hard mod?
I mean I would say to unplug and re plug them in, but surely you've tried that already.

Happens all the time, it was the first thing I noticed right out of the box, with or without mods. Haven't done anything weird with the console, in fact I think I've only used a couple of times due to this issue. First I thought the controller came defective but the same thing happened with the other pad so I don't know, since I never hear anyone complaining I'm inclined to think it's not very widespread problem, but it's strange that both of the pads came bad, such bad luck lol

Oct 25, 2017
Happens all the time, it was the first thing I noticed right out of the box, with or without mods. Haven't done anything weird with the console, in fact I think I've only used a couple of times due to this issue. First I thought the controller came defective but the same thing happened with the other pad so I don't know, since I never hear anyone complaining I'm inclined to think it's not very widespread problem, but it's strange that both of the pads came bad, such bad luck lol
Yeah, it could just be that you got unlucky and got faulty controllers, that's unfortunate.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
You probably have Bilinear Filtering enabled! It's at the bottom of the list under Video in the RA settings. I leave it enabled in addition to a scanline overlay. Looks gud.

The Bleemsync install and kernel update didn't go super smoothly; I had to try 3 different USB sticks before I found an old 8gig off-brand one that made a successful backup but then it went without a hitch. I got the OTG cable you recommended and it's working like a charm along with my Sandisk Cruzer Fit 64gb reformatted to NTFS running Retroboot. Super clean look!

The ONNNEEE thing still nagging me is the godawful performance I'm getting in Metal Gear Solid. It's frequently dropping from 30 to 15-20 fps when more than one enemy is on screen, or when I get into close-quarter combat, or go into first-person view. I have a save right before the first boss fight that I've been using to test and it drops to 10-15 FPS whenever Revolver Ocelot is visible on screen. Shit's definitely not like that in the original game. I had hoped it was a power issue from the front ports but now that I'm running my USB stick through an OTG cable in the rear micro-USB port that shouldn't be a problem. I'm guessing my Sandisk Cruzer Fit 64gb is just slow, or something?? Now that I'm on OTG I might try an SD card with a USB adapter like you mentioned.

Reading online, it seems like nobody is having anywhere near as much trouble getting this game to perfom well in Retroarch. It's so weird. Can anyone else using Retroboot 0.9 on the PSC confirm they're able to play MGS with minimal slowdown during gameplay?

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
Curious issue with upgrading my Bleemsync from 1.x to 1.2. The initial payload works, but then it boots to the menu like normal. The old menu. Now, I download the update and put it in bleemsync/update like I'm supposed to, but the console doesn't install it when I plug it in with the USB attached. It's FAT32, and it used to work fine. I mean, it still does. I can still play games. It's just that I want to update this firmware so I can drag and drop.

Varth

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Did the games upload get any easier in the last weeks? Dropped it after a successful attempt and a couple of botched ones, waiting for a more convenient system.