• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
The problem with it for me is even with it being a nice emulator I still don't feel comfortable buying it when Sony didn't put in the proper work by themselves.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
whats a good usb drive for the classic?

I looked at the google document list and that thing is such a fricken mess, plus the one listed isn't even a new model or anything.......so its like $60 for a 64GB drive which is not right at all lol
I would like to know this too.

Read mixed things about compatibility of certain sticks and basically just want the biggest I can get. If possible one of those small ones that don't stick out much too.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Honestly all I want to do with mine is load a decent emulator and non-shitty versions of the games on. Glad the fans were able to deliver on what Sony failed to do.

(and maybe, of course, load it with more games after I have legally purchased and ripped them)

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
It's not going to do Dreamcast well.

It doesn't have the support Retropie does. The amount of themes and options for the Pi is way beyond the ps classic.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
I was considering waiting for a pi 4 sometime in the future, but I might have to consider this as the best option for the time being...

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Both use Pcsx as the base/main PS1 emulator. The original team just didn't do a very good job of porting it. Bleemsync/autobleem use a newer version of the emulator that had more effort put into optimizing the port.
Are you able to access the emulator settings easier than the original emulator where you needed a specific keyboard?

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
The solid PSP support might get me to buy one... still alot I want to play on that system.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Better or worse than emulation on a hacked Vita? I'm fine with just emulating on my laptop, but a dedicated device might be nice next time it's on sale for 30 CAD.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
According to a guy on Reddit who tested some DC fighters, no it doesn't excel at it. It runs some Capcom 2D fighters mostly okay with some catches. Marvel vs Capcom 2 kinda plays okay from the sound of it. So for sure set expectations accordingly.

PSP is indeed working well. On the first release they had SF Alpha 3 Max working full speed except the intro.
Why would anyone play the psp port of SFA 3 when the arcade version is perfect?

OP
OP
Inugami

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Is the emulation better than a hacked PS3?
Is retroarch still being updated for the PS3? If it is, then probably not.

Is it worth messing with if I've already got a PlayStation TV?
As someone who owns both, I won't be going back to the playstation TV personally outside of Vita games. More options available for this device and better shader support.
Are you able to access the emulator settings easier than the original emulator where you needed a specific keyboard?
All of the settings are accessible through retroarch via regular controllers, so yes.
Better or worse than emulation on a hacked Vita? I'm fine with just emulating on my laptop, but a dedicated device might be nice next time it's on sale for 30 CAD.
Better and more options for most systems, there may be some PSP games that'd work better on the vita.

Messing around with some of the shaders right now, unfortunately my phone doesn't like my TV too much, so I'll just post a couple of my favorites. Namely sharp bilinear

UM5wAuD.jpg

Shader gives razor sharp pixel edges.

And the other is a classic, but good ol' scanlines.

UVJWqwR.jpg

Both images look overly dark due to my phone, but on my tv? As beautiful as you could ever get from a GBA game stretched that large.

Nov 23, 2017
1: For PS1 games, yes. Autobleem uses the default UI and you can leave it the default or skin it to your liking. For all other systems, you need to boot into retroarch which has it's own UI
2: For PS1 games in the default UI? No. In Retroarch you can use folders, and even load the default games.
3. If you use a powered hub, yes. Otherwise you'll have to wait till the OTG update comes out, which lets you hook up harddrives to the back USB (USB power port).
Thanks for the quick reply! Really bummed about the second response. I'm so particular about these things. I need the Classic UI with folder ability. I got hundreds of gigs ready to go if that feature ever gets done.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
yes, decided to just cancel my classic due to the questions around the USB port. Plus i don't feel like using a power brick with some usb cable.

I grabbed myself a new shield tv, a 128GB stick and the vertical stand. I heard the shield TV can emulate dolphin.....like damn, thats a hell of a set top box.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Great to know. Thanks for the thread. Hopefully the price keeps dropping. It's still C$79 in Canada. I'd consider picking it up when it hits $50.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if Sony is even sorry for how badly they fucked up the PS Classic.

And I wonder if it's going to become another PSTV situation now that the homebrew scene is making it more appealing, being given away now and rare and expensive when the stock runs out.

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a simple, complete dummies tutorial on how to install all this stuff?

I did the SNES Classic just fine. I'm only another year older but my dumb ass couldn't work out a thing on how to do it with the PS Classic.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
But I don't own any of the games that I bought a psx classic for and to get them legally will cost a lot more. So I guess if you already have games it's a good deal.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if Sony is even sorry for how badly they fucked up the PS Classic.

And I wonder if it's going to become another PSTV situation now that the homebrew scene is making it more appealing, being given away now and rare and expensive when the stock runs out.

1) I think we all know the answer is no. I suspect Sony looked at sales and just thought, "Huh, guess people aren't that interested in these old PS1 games!"

2) Probably. Part of the PSTV's aftermarket popularity is because the Vita hacking community has been pretty active over the years. I don't know that the PS Classic will ever do much more than it does now, but that may be enough!

OP
OP
Inugami

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a simple, complete dummies tutorial on how to install all this stuff?

I did the SNES Classic just fine. I'm only another year older but my dumb ass couldn't work out a thing on how to do it with the PS Classic.
For ps1 games, it's as easy as formatting a USB key called SONY and installing autobleem onto it and putting your bin/cue/pbp into a directory called Games.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What I'd like to know is how it compares to PSX games running off the PSTV, and whether you can use a wireless DS4 with it like you can with the PSTV.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
glad i grabbed one for $40, no doubt they'll finally dump them for cheaper but it felt like a good deal

PSP emulation sounds good, wonder how it does with Neo Geo until i can afford that

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
So what you're saying is that the Playstation Emulator itself has been replaced? I was never particularly interested when folks were adding more games because if the emulation was still trash it wasn't worth the time.

OP
OP
Inugami

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
glad i grabbed one for $40, no doubt they'll finally dump them for cheaper but it felt like a good deal

PSP emulation sounds good, wonder how it does with Neo Geo until i can afford that

Haven't tried it yet, but absolutely no reason why Neo Geo won't be golden. PSP emulation has been great from what I've tried so far. Unfortunately I'm limited till I can take the time to figure out how to dump PSP games from my vita (my PSP is dead, but I was mostly digital so I can get them on vita no problem).

What I'd like to know is how it compares to PSX games running off the PSTV, and whether you can use a wireless DS4 with it like you can with the PSTV.
Of the games I've tried on both, there is much less slowdown on the PSC. Games like Chrono Cross, Mega Man Legends, amongst the ones I've tried that had issues on PSTV.

Unfortunately, the PSC doesn't have bluetooth support, so you'd have to buy the 8bitdo adapter right now, and maybe off the shelf bluetooth adapters can work down the line.

So what you're saying is that the Playstation Emulator itself has been replaced? I was never particularly interested when folks were adding more games because if the emulation was still trash it wasn't worth the time.

The default emulator is PCSX Rearmed, which is still the predominant emulator used in these exploits. The difference is that the exploits use a newer version and one that's better optimized for the hardware. The difference is pretty stark.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I'm extremely happy with mine, got it for $50, and it now has all the games on it that Sony should have included in the first place.

It also looks way, way nicer than any of those awful 3D printed mini PlayStation shells for Raspberry Pi.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Everything I read said the A35 in this had a bit *less* juice than the A53 in the Pi. And the GPUs were roughly comparable (perhaps a slight edge to the PS classic).

Googling this still finds me the same answer...that the Pi's A53 has more power.

One of the reasons I didn't bother. That and the not-dualshock controllers. I'd have bought for $99 with a USB or wireless dualshock or two.

Piichan

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
Sorry if answered already, but how's the N64 emulation on this? Might bite if it's good.
EDIT: Actually nvm, will wait a bit longer for a potential N64 mini.

Last edited:

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
Is this worth 40 bucks if I already have a softmodded ps3 with retroarch hooked up to my tv?
I mean the only emu I'm missing out is probably the dreamcast emu. (psp maybe?)

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
Most of the PSP/PS1 games that I'm interested in are available on Vita.
Maybe PS5 will give us access to all those digital purchases?

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been holding on until it gets cheaper, the homebrew community has done an amazing job making this product worth the trouble.

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
Couple of idiotic questions.

1. Given that I am literally only interested in a PS1 box, does this mean I can rip my extant games (Skullmonkeys, Klonoa et al) to BIN/CUE, drop them on a USB 2.0 stick with the payload, plug in, switch on and play? I have no interest in emulating anything else besides PS1.

2. Will I lose access to the built-in games?

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My main concern with opting for this thing over a RPi is going to be long-term support. While PS Classics are cheap and plentiful support will be solid, but in a year or so when Sony stops selling them, how many developers are still going to be keeping emulators updated and whatnot? There's also no WiFi support for things like netplay or auto-scraping or updating RetroArch, there's no Bluetooth controller support, so I dunno. There's a lot of downsides to the PS Classic as an emulator machine compared to a Pi or similar device.