• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
This might be a dumb question but are you able to install games on the PS classic itself? Like delete some of the bad games that it came with and install other stuff with the remaining space?

faced

Dec 17, 2017
Neat! It looks like in general the thing kinda flopped, I've seen some close to me for very cheap and never picked them up because of the reception being so negative.

I still have a hacked PSP I pull out very infrequently to play stuff, and a hacked Vita I almost never use so I'm actually getting oversaturated with ways to play Mario World for the 9th time though

bitunoriginal

Oct 27, 2017
The Nvidia shield TV is pretty much my go-to for emulation at the moment with the added bonus of being a highly competent streaming device. Ultimately it's much better than the Pi, Snes or PS classic with more uses and super easy BT controller setup. The only prohibitive factor is the price and set up time, but you do get alot more bang for buck.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Any info about graphical options? I would like to know if you can use filters and stuf for PSX games

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's pretty fantastic. I've been getting a ton of use out of mine. So easy to mod and some of the home themes people have made for it are really neat as well :)

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
You can find them for about $60 here in Peru, I might grab one if it goes down to $50 or something, very tempted to do so. I still need to pick up a SNES as well.

Nov 4, 2017
I'm here to say the OP is exactly right. I got my PS Classic about a week ago and I am blown away by how amazing it is. I am using Autobleem on mine and I have 64GB of PS1 games (around 100 titles) and I'm over the moon.

-The emulation is great. I have run into a few small hiccups here and there, but the solution EVERY TIME has been to simply ditch the PBP files and use BIN/CUE files for those titles instead. One such example was Breath of Fire 3. It seemed to run normal until the music started and then it was apparent that the music was much much slower than it should be. I dropped the PBP files and put in BIN/CUE and now that title runs perfectly. This also happened with Tobal No 1 for me. Same solution worked.

**edit**I should clarify I said Tobal had the same issue, but it wasn't exactly the same. Instead of half-speed music, the music was an ear-splitting mess comparable to a 90's modem booting up. Totally weird. The BIN/CUE files fixed it though, so I assumed it was a byproduct of compressing everything for the PBP files.**

-The interface is fantastic. I love the 3d jewel cases, the quick access to resume points, and the way it loads up cover art is awesome. If you want to change the art for some reason, all you gotta do is throw your own PNG file into the game's folder and its done.

-The controllers ARE great! I keep seeing people say they are bad but I think that's entirely based on not being able to get over the missing analog sticks. If you compare them to the launch controllers from back in the day, they are freaking identical. There are a LOT of PS1 games that don't need the analog sticks, so I honestly haven't missed them. However, I know I can just use my modern controllers if I really want to, and that's a pretty sweet perk.

Its time to get on the PS Classic train, y'all. Sony may have done us dirty by putting in a half-assed effort, but fans have come to the rescue and made it an incredibly valuable device. Now that they can be had for around $40, its time to jump on it. I'm buying a 2nd one so I have a backup.

This is a fantastic pitch, the price on them keep dropping and i think £20 might be my biting point. I'm a sucker for OCD and having a nice interface that gives you a premium feel. The launch UI was pathetic really and you'd expect some value from that right out of the box for the price they launched at. I think i'll happily settle for the default controllers too as most of the titles made analogue sticks pretty redundant for the most part like you say, might get a USB extension cable to compensate for the short cable.

Only question is, due to one USB port obviously needing your flash drive for the hack & games, that means you have to forfeit being able to play local multiplayer too right?

OP
OP
Inugami

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Do there exist any straight-up, out of the box guides to getting this thing hacked and playing my dumped PS1 games?
Follow any guide for autobleem. It's 95% dead and drop with the only step not is formatting the USB to be named SONY

Can the PSClassic emulate Playstation games at full HD? What about other emulators? What's the maximum possible resolution?
You can run games in double resolution, but a lot don't play well with it. This isn't a good option for upressing games, though there are plenty of shaders that can give some really great results.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I was under the impression that the hardware was weaker than the Pi 3b+ especially given how much worse the emulation was when comparing the same games. Has there been a significant update to the performance of the available emulators?

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
What's the largest compatible USB drive that is just the little nub/compact variety at this point?

I'd like to get something that's 128GB or better, but I don't want something that does jut out from the Classic so that it's easy to just toss in a bag and take with me when I travel.

Deleted member 16025

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only question is, due to one USB port obviously needing your flash drive for the hack & games, that means you have to forfeit being able to play local multiplayer too right?

I haven't done this yet, but I've watched a couple of YouTubers use a USB hub for this.

What's the largest compatible USB drive that is just the little nub/compact variety at this point?

I'd like to get something that's 128GB or better, but I don't want something that does jut out from the Classic so that it's easy to just toss in a bag and take with me when I travel.

I have heard that 128GB sticks are the biggest that have been confirmed so far, but I only have a 64GB myself. That's plenty for me though as I have 107 games on mine. Just be mindful of the fact that USB 3.0 sticks draw too much power and won't work. You have to have USB 2.0. Everyone says Sandisk is the best bet and that's been my experience as well, though I've only tried 3 different brands based on what I had lying around the office.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Follow any guide for autobleem. It's 95% dead and drop with the only step not is formatting the USB to be named SONY

You can run games in double resolution, but a lot don't play well with it. This isn't a good option for upressing games, though there are plenty of shaders that can give some really great results.
I'm still running off mid December bleemsync but would like to change it over to the new autobleem stuff, how hard is it? Also link to current autobleem?

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would really like to see benchmarks of rpi3+ against this chip. I mean, broth are really cheap choices either way for emulation and can do 16 bit easily. PSX is just the icing on the cake.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't tried it yet, but absolutely no reason why Neo Geo won't be golden. PSP emulation has been great from what I've tried so far. Unfortunately I'm limited till I can take the time to figure out how to dump PSP games from my vita (my PSP is dead, but I was mostly digital so I can get them on vita no problem).

Of the games I've tried on both, there is much less slowdown on the PSC. Games like Chrono Cross, Mega Man Legends, amongst the ones I've tried that had issues on PSTV.

Unfortunately, the PSC doesn't have bluetooth support, so you'd have to buy the 8bitdo adapter right now, and maybe off the shelf bluetooth adapters can work down the line.

Link to the adapter?

For the games, what resolutions can be played? Are there filter options like AA or textures? Can patches like fan translations or other hacks be applied?

Oct 25, 2017
I would really like to see benchmarks of rpi3+ against this chip. I mean, broth are really cheap choices either way for emulation and can do 16 bit easily. PSX is just the icing on the cake.
a PI will cost more upfront between case and not including controllers. You'd need an SD card but you also need specific USB drives for the PSC right now so that's a wash.

Honestly, i'd hold on getting a PSC for hacking until the Bleemsync OTG update hits. It should broaden the compatible USB drives and also free up the two front USBs for easy 2 player use.

Pi 3b+ has a more mature scene but also its hit its potential cap pretty much. PSC seems like its a bit beefier but is still very much in the early days of its scene

lagr

Jan 31, 2019
I converted a bunch of multi bin games to single bin for use on PS3 and haven't hacked my PS Classic yet. Will these work OK as single bin?

I deleted all the originals to save space and don't want to rip those all over again.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
For a complete novice who has never one used a Rasberry Pi, modded a console or done anything remotely like this, is it possible? I have a PS Classic on order now that it is half price and never really wanted to do anything like this on my snes or nes classics but might be willing to give it a shot in this one.

All I really want is a few old Nintendo and Sega games that were not on any of the classic consoles or collections

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
For a complete novice who has never one used a Rasberry Pi, modded a console or done anything remotely like this, is it possible? I have a PS Classic on order now that it is half price and never really wanted to do anything like this on my snes or nes classics but might be willing to give it a shot in this one.

All I really want is a few old Nintendo and Sega games that were not on any of the classic consoles or collections
Yeah it's pretty easy. I can't recommend this video enough if you're feeling a little nervous about it. Step by step with visuals that made it pretty simple to do. I had a bit of trouble following the written instructions, but when I followed the video things went smoothly. One warning is just make sure you have a non-3.0 usb laying around. An oldie will even work.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What emulators can this run up to? (i.e Wii/PS2?)
PS1 and N64 run well, and anything before. DC games will run but it is more hit and miss. GC games (well, I've only tried Fzero GX) will run but aren't really playable. PSP runs well.

Wii/PS2 I doubt will run well/at all.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone else had issues with getting Japanese games to upload to the system? It says that the files are in some way named incorrectly or something, but they look the same as any other games I've uploaded, including same file types.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The Odroid XU4 and the Asus TB are both more powerfull and more mature solutions than the PS Classic and both can do Saturn too.

This weird notion that nothing exists outside of the Pi in the small price sbc market has always puzzled me.

And you can get an even better deal with a 40$ core2 pc with Batocera on it and emulate the PS2 and GC just fine
Are we just supposed to know what an Asus TB is intrinsically? A Google search is pulling up a thunderbolt 3 expansion card.

Apr 19, 2018
I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger and getting a Classic now.

How easy would it be to rip my PSOne collection of disc games into a playable format? I haven't ripped a proper ISO In ages, so what program comes recommended to do so?

Last edited:

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The switch is such an amazing retro machine I can't imagine using anything else now, especially something tethered to the tv by wired controllers.

Deleted member 24417

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can it run Codename Tenka? On Pi it's impossibile because of Memory Card warning (Tenka runs only if there is no MC on slot 2)