• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
So how does this compare to the official emulator on PS3 by now?
Out of the box, the picture quality is similar, but the PS3 performs better and has analog control for games that support it. Hacked with Retroarch (which is how I'm testing some JRPGs), picture quality on the Classic is really good, it has scanline shaders, and performance has been fine. That said, it's frozen up on me once or twice when bringing up the Retroarch menu in-game.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Walmart has them listed for $40 again, and I've had $20 in credit there from Bing rewards sitting around. Free shipping too, had to pull the trigger on that.

I was tempted, but may wait for it to go down another $10-$20 since I would need some additional parts as well.

We really do need a more comprehensive OP or a Reddit guide to figure out the compatible (and preferably affordable) additional accessories like memory storage and adapters for wireless DS4 controllers.

I'd also like to add an HDMI switch on top of that to house my minis (SNES, NES, the PSX, and hopefully the Genesis Mini if that ends up worth getting).

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Pulled the trigger and grabbed one from Walmart. I tend to just do all my emu stuff on PC, but I do like to tinker.

Apr 19, 2018
I got mine in, and have been giving it a few test runs on Autobleem. Most of the games I tried run pretty well, but I noticed that Brave Fencer Musashi blacks out and hangs up just before the first in-game cutscene begins (when they summon Musashi himself). I got around this by skipping the cutscene altogether, but even then, the game's framerate is pretty rough. Wished there was a fix because this was the game I wanted to replay most of all. I wonder if Bleemsync runs the game any better?

I can't speak for the Cruzer Fits, but I've had success with the regular Sandisk Cruzers. I first tried running Autobleem through a Staples brand 32 GB 2.0 USB stick, but it ran games incredibly choppy, both during cutscenes and in-game. I tested a few of the 16GB SanDisk Cruzers I had on-hand instead, which ran games much better.

I'm still wondering about how to handle multi-disc games, so I'm holding off on installing those for the time being.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
As much as I hate Walmart I think it's time to buy this thing. $29.99 was my no hesitation price but $10 isn't really a big deal for what I'm going to be doing on this thing so why not. I didn't see anything but may have missed it, any restrictions to size of the USB stick? I was going to get the Cruzer 128GB 2.0 if that works. 64GB may be enough but I have a shit ton of games I would be putting on this thing.

dtcm83

Oct 28, 2017
I'm also about to hop on this Walmart deal but have the same question about USB sticks (capacity and known working units)...I basically want the largest capacity (up to 256GB) USB stick that is tested and working.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is there an easy way to get a ps classic save off of a vita and onto one of these? i'm thinking about picking one up for xenogears since playstation tvs are so expensive now.

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Shchenok

Oct 27, 2017
Was 40 euros in germany amazon and ordered this immediately

Is there a reason this can't be hacked by just using internal storage like snes mini?

Thanks, ordered that

There are scripts out there to do it. I think the BleemSync team is just taking the safer approach.
Version 1.1 is supposed to support USB OTG from the rear USB port.
That should make basically any drive work with the classic, since the rear port isn't limited like the front ones.
That'll be able to free up the second front port at least.

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are scripts out there to do it. I think the BleemSync team is just taking the safer approach.
Version 1.1 is supposed to support USB OTG from the rear USB port.
That should make basically any drive work with the classic, since the rear port isn't limited like the front ones.
That'll be able to free up the second front port at least.
Great to know!

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati

RoaringMdog

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
This thread pushed me to finally take the dang thing out of the box. 30 minutes after that i was playing Dragonball Advance Adventure. I love this thing now.

Tried running a psp game on it, and it ran in slo-mo so i guess that's a bust.

Credo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking about doing the conductive pen method. Does this solder/pen fix make it so that it accepts all 2.0 drives and doesn't restrict any, or will it now accept 3.0 drives too?

Apr 19, 2018
I got mine in, and have been giving it a few test runs on Autobleem. Most of the games I tried run pretty well, but I noticed that Brave Fencer Musashi blacks out and hangs up just before the first in-game cutscene begins (when they summon Musashi himself). I got around this by skipping the cutscene altogether, but even then, the game's framerate is pretty rough. Wished there was a fix because this was the game I wanted to replay most of all. I wonder if Bleemsync runs the game any better?

Testing out Legend of Mana, it also runs at the same sluggish framerate. Mind you, the framerate appears to be fairly consistent as is, but it is very noticeably slower.

I'm wondering if this relegated to Squaresoft's games, because the pre-installed Final Fantasy VII also runs at at a slower rate while traversing the field -- yet it's pretty snappy again when perusing the menus.

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
Testing out Legend of Mana, it also runs at the same sluggish framerate. Mind you, the framerate appears to be fairly consistent as is, but it is very noticeably slower.

I'm wondering if this relegated to Squaresoft's games, because the pre-installed Final Fantasy VII also runs at at a slower rate while traversing the field -- yet it's pretty snappy again when perusing the menus.

While in-game try pressing select + Triangle to access the options and then try changing region to ntsc and frameskip to off. Wonder if that helps, it for me and tekken 3

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Got my PSC today and gave AutoBleem a try. Crazy how easy this is. Tried Alundra and it worked great!

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
hm well Bleemsync worked once with this USB 2.0 SanDisk Cruzer Micro I have, but no longer. Kind of baffled.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
It doesn't even have to be solder if someone doesn't have soldering skills or an iron; you can just use a conductive ink/paint pen and cover those two spots. Or so the guys who discovered the mod have said on Discord.

It's also $39.99 in-store and online at Best Buy.

Yep, that is where I ended up going. Thanks Wario64 for your prompt tweets lol. My USB stick should arrive today so I am excited to get cracking on this thing.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Is there a way to import PS1 online savegames to the PS Classic with Autobleem?
Do I simply need to copy a downloaded save into the memcard folder, does it work?

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
I've never thought about getting a PS Classic for any legitimate reason, but this makes me interested. Is there any sort of wireless controller solution? Can I connect a DS4 or even a Switch Pro Controller?

Oct 27, 2017
Ordered it when it hit $40 but just cancelled the order. Imo the options are better now but I realize as I was looking into bleemsync, autobleem, etc that I'm never going to actually use this

I already can play most ps1 games I want on my PS3, PS2, PS1 and if I wanted to emulate them I could just do so on my PC

Oct 25, 2017

That's how FF7 has always been, take it from someone who hit 99:99:99 on the game back in the 90s.

I wonder if a lot of folks finding issues with performance are just unaware that a lot of these games ran slow/like ass back in the day and that the emulators are accurately representing their performance.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh nice! Love their stuff. And how easy is it to load NES, SNES, and GBA stuff onto this thing? Trivially, with the right flash drive?
People are saying it is easy but I haven't tried it myself as mine is on the way (as is an 8bitdo adapter) :p

On that note I'd also like to ask, to anyone who might know, if I hack it just to support other controllers, will the existing ROMs (looking at you, Metal Gear Solid) support analog controls right away?

Abudiix

Sep 8, 2018
Malmö, Sweden
User Banned (3 days): Advocating Piracy
I just hacked mine with auto bleem and it went smoothly but does anyone know a good site where i can download PS1 Roms quick ? I tried a few sites and it takes ages. Either slow download speeds or 3-4 pages to reach the download link for each game

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I made a video showing off my PS Classic running Autobleem 0.5.1 just yesterday. I think it serves as a good showcase of how amazing you can make these things now.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Just bought one today because of this thread. And... None of my usb sticks are compatible. I spent like two hours trying to get autobleem to launch.
And considering how incredibly shitty the default product is, I was pretty mad at myself about this purchase tbh.

But then I played Ridge Racer Type 4 for the first time and now I feel better, lol. What a great game.
So I just ordered a compatible usb stick and hopefully I'll be able to tinker with this thing this weekend.

Apr 19, 2018
While in-game try pressing select + Triangle to access the options and then try changing region to ntsc and frameskip to off. Wonder if that helps, it for me and tekken 3

That would require installing Bleemsync first though, right? And then Lolhack?

That's how FF7 has always been, take it from someone who hit 99:99:99 on the game back in the 90s.

I wonder if a lot of folks finding issues with performance are just unaware that a lot of these games ran slow/like ass back in the day and that the emulators are accurately representing their performance.

Not exactly. I was playing FF7 on PS3 via backwards compatibility just the other day, and it runs much smoother.

Again, let me reiterate that the sluggish framerate is strictly while traversing the field. It's snappy on menus, and during battles, it runs at the same 15fps or so rate that it always has.

Nov 23, 2017
That would require installing Bleemsync first though, right? And then Lolhack?

Not exactly. I was playing FF7 on PS3 via backwards compatibility just the other day, and it runs much smoother.

Again, let me reiterate that the sluggish framerate is strictly while traversing the field. It's snappy on menus, and during battles, it runs at the same 15fps or so rate that it always has.

Yeah, I've beaten the game on the original PSone multiple times and have put in plenty of hours in it and I can agree with your sentiment. The field shouldn't be as sluggish as what the claim was making. I haven't tried it on the Classic myself yet, though.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just picked up my classic today, got a £50 argos gift card from work so didn't have to pay anything for it.

Got my USB stick ordered which should hopefully come tomorrow so I will be able to sort autobleem etc out then.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
The devs behind Bleemsync are great, very transparent, with clear milestones, goals, expectations , etc.

They even have a public Kanban board for all to check.

Their 0.4.1, 1.01 and 1.0.1 releases have been great. Some bugs remains but most are already fixed and will be included in the 1.1 release.

Their Discord is very user friendly, with people constantly supporting Bleemsync or regular Retroarch use cases.