• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Sorry if already answered, what's the big difference between Bleemsync and Autobleem?

Bleemsync provides a more mature implementation that just a launcher. As of 1.0.1 it has optimized memory management (increasing compatibility with games and systems), support for lots of controller types. etc.

Bleemsync is very actively pursuing several big milestones for 1.1, such as OTG support which will solve all of the USB stick power issues, black screens when closing content or changing settings (solved), etc.

Basically, BS has more people developing optimizations and making a better user experience behind it all.

Other solutions may also work, but have been focusing on the "lets just add content and launch it".

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
This is my last question, and maybe this is foolish: this thing can't do GameCube, can it? Specifically, Paper Mario: TTYD?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Was looking at that 8bitdo adapter, and I see folks having a mouse cursor appear in the top-left corner (which goes away if you unplug/plug the adapter back in, but that sounds utterly annoying). Is this only with certain controllers? I plan on just using a DualShock 4. Was just going to rip all my discs and put this in the living room on the big TV, which is why I need the wireless for the distance.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Bleemsync provides a more mature implementation that just a launcher. As of 1.0.1 it has optimized memory management (increasing compatibility with games and systems), support for lots of controller types. etc.

Bleemsync is very actively pursuing several big milestones for 1.1, such as OTG support which will solve all of the USB stick power issues, black screens when closing content or changing settings (solved), etc.

Basically, BS has more people developing optimizations and making a better user experience behind it all.

Other solutions may also work, but have been focusing on the "lets just add content and launch it".

Cool, thanks. I bought a PSC a few weeks back but haven't had the time to dive into all this. Sounds like should as well wait for Bleemsync 1.1 to be released :)

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Can't complain....
image0.jpg

Apr 19, 2018
So here's an interesting development. I just got the 8bitdo controller receiver myself, and one of its features is that you can easily access the built-in PCSX emulator debug menu. (The one you could seemingly only get to if you had a compatible USB keyboard or were using the Lolhack.) If you're using a Dualshock 4 like I am, you do this by holding the L1, R1, and Option buttons.

The sluggish framerate I mentioned on games like FF7, Legend of Mana, and Braver Fencer Musashi actually GOES AWAY whenever I head into the PCSX menu, and then come right out of it. Suddenly the framerate jumps back up to the way these games were meant to run. However, if you create a save state and then resume, the games tends to chug back down. Re-accessing the PCSX menu fixes the issue again.

So.... I dunno? Maybe heading into this menu clears some sort of hardware bottleneck? Or maybe the emulation has trouble refreshing properly straight from a resume point? Either way, it's a simple fix I'll happily continue to use.

Last edited:

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So if I add for example FFVIII to PSC, does it show all discs in game menu? Or just one game? How do I change to disc 2 when it's time for that?

Edit: installation was explained in bleemsync faq

Wondered also are there scanline support in bleemsync? Are they easy to add?

Last edited:

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i want to get one of xenogears, but i'm kind of too far in my play through on the vita and i don't think transferring the save is possible

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you're using a current version of BleemSync, pbp is okay. However I don't know if there's anything else you need to be aware of w/r/t that, as I have always used bin/cue.
I'd like to use PBP because of the disk size savings as PBP has inherent compression. It's not as good as chd but chd is a topic on its own with all the different versions of the format.

Apr 19, 2018
I guess this falls more in the regular tech question category, but is there an easy method to format a 64GB USB stick to FAT32? Swapping between the three 16 GB sticks I'm currently using while running Autobleem is more of a nuisance than I initially thought, heh.

Apr 19, 2018
There's a Windows app called...guiformat, I think, that comes recommended often. You could also burn a Linux boot DVD/CD of most major flavors and boot to your DVD drive and open GParted, which is usually what I do because I am weird.

Also be aware that the bigger the stick you get the more likely you'll run into power supply issues due to the power limiting Sony did on the front USB ports. Have you done the limit-removal mod (dabs of solder or conductive paint/ink on the two points of the motherboard), or are you using an externally-powered USB hub? The fact that you're using smaller-sized, presumably USB 2.0 sticks is probably why they are working consistently for you without either of those solutions.

Thanks for the advice! I hadn't thought about the power supply aspect, but I do have a powered USB hub lying around so if I start running into issues, I guess I'll need to put it to use.

Last edited:

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Just a personal thing, but it was a strange realization going through all of my old PS1 games that there wasn't anything I was really excited to play. Maybe because I played so many more games and had a lot more time to play them back then, that I didn't find it worth the effort to rip/transfer them when I could just pop them in my original PS1 (which I don't really do either). The in-game giant pixels and MPEG compression on the FMV when I loaded up Ridge Racer Type 4 was kind of shocking. I think I'll mess around with Retroarch a little bit next. :)

I just got an 8bitdo Receiver last night and tried it out. If you update the firmware on the 8bitdo to the latest version (hold the coin-chaped Sync button as you insert it into your PC's USB port, then run the software on the site), they've added a button command (Hold Select, then A+B+X+Y all at once) to disable that. You will have to do it every time you boot the system, though.
Thanks for the reply! Glad to hear that there's a solution other than physically removing and plugging it back in, even if it's not the most elegant.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just a personal thing, but it was a strange realization going through all of my old PS1 games that there wasn't anything I was really excited to play. Maybe because I played so many more games and had a lot more time to play them back then, that I didn't find it worth the effort to rip/transfer them when I could just pop them in my original PS1 (which I don't really do either). The in-game giant pixels and MPEG compression on the FMV when I loaded up Ridge Racer Type 4 was kind of shocking. I think I'll mess around with Retroarch a little bit next. :)

Thanks for the reply! Glad to hear that there's a solution other than physically removing and plugging it back in, even if it's not the most elegant.

I think Ridge 4 hasn't aged a day. Still just as fun to play. I don't see the issue with the poor video compression.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I think Ridge 4 hasn't aged a day. Still just as fun to play. I don't see the issue with the poor video compression.
Not saying it's bad -- the game is still fun to play, but it's just interesting seeing how far technology has come in a relatively short amount of time. This is coming from someone who thinks R4 is the best in the series... I paid way too much for the import/jogcon set at the time. :)

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Got my USB current limiters soldered, every USB stick that didn't work before works now, good stuff. Currently using a 64GB Sandisk USB 3 compact drive that it wouldn't pick up before, but will likely pick up something at least 128GB down the line.

I watched this guy before I did it.

https://youtu.be/YU8M_2c2DGc

Last edited:

Gwynbleidd

Oct 27, 2017
Is there no way to play 2 player while using retroarch because of the flash drive? Will a usb hub work or no?

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Did they ever come out with a fix to stop the mouse cursor from appearing on the screen? I kept seeing that as an issue in the amazon reviews for the adapter. Can't remember if it was for DS3 or DS4 or both..

Ok, so I finally had time to look at the 8Bitdo thing. Yup, there's an arrow alright. I paired a DS4 and running Bleemsync 1.0.0. I updated the firmware of the 8Bitdo from 1.20 to 1.22. The arrow still seems to be there. I'll try running the latest Bleemsync tomorrow, maybe it's gone that way.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Just got my classic for $50 Canadian yesterday. Got bleemsync up and running easily and added some retroarch cores to play around with. Had an old usb 2.0 8gb usb drive hanging around and it seems to work well enough. Minor freezes here when closing games but I'm hoping that clears with future updates.

For 50 canadian, this was an awesome deal!

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And you can buy a lot of the PS1 greats on PS3/PSP PSN still. In fact, using a tool called PSXtract you can buy the games, copy them to your PSP, and then copy the eboots to your hard drive in separate folders, then extract the Sony BIN/CUE from the PSP versions. It'll dump everything weirdly into your Users/Yourname directory IIRC, but just rename each game (including the text inside in the CUE file so it matches) as it comes out, and you can move those nicely into your PSClassic without issue.

Can you move saves too?

Gwynbleidd

Oct 27, 2017
The nice thing about RetroArch is that it's compatible with even more controllers than the Sony-based interface, but you may have to manually bind your controller keys, depending on what you plug in. The packed-in Sony controllers are, conveniently enough, bound properly by default.
I mean when I turn it on it says bleem and retroarch. I guess what I'm asking is if I buy one of the Hubs and plug in four controllers and click on retroarch if it could work (after I set up the controllers of course)

Credo

Oct 25, 2017
Quick Bleemsync question: I accidentally hit Add Games once when I meant to click Choose Files, and it now has an empty, nameless folder among my games list. How do I get rid of that folder?

Because the folder is empty, there's no option for Choose Files, Add Game, etc., so I can't figure out how to delete it.

Gwynbleidd

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently you caught my reply in the brief window before the edit where I added: " The packed-in Sony controllers are, conveniently enough, bound properly by default...even if you have two plugged in via a hub. :) "
I don't know if FOUR controllers work, but I've definitely tested it with two.

Ah okay. Well I guess I'll be the guinea pig for that one when my scans finish

Oct 27, 2017
Bought one of these dingdongs for 27 dollars from target the other day. Already have a pi, but excited to see what this can do with bleemsync.

Credo

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a Discord or Reddit specifically for Bleemsync? I have some small issues with it that I need to get answers for, and I don't want to keep asking in here.

Credo

Oct 25, 2017
It may be, but I had a simple and easy to follow guide for how to get Bleemsync running on it, so I just went with that. Maybe I should've tried to put RetroArch on it, but I don't know how difficult that is.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought Bleemsync was a really flawed and inaccurate emulator?
No, bleem once was, it was an emulator 20(?) years ago but has nothing to do with this project. I mean pcsx reloaded, an emulator for the arm architecture (and the only open source emulator for arm) is definitely not the best out there, for x86 there are way better ones, but it's better than Bleem of course.