• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I only formatted it as FAT32, never did it any other format.
Two quick things.

1. Most games that I have are BIN only. There is no Cue file. Is that a problem?
2. The BIN file is red for most of my games but "Auto Rename Bin File" doesn't fix it and I don't have an "Edit Bin/Cue" option.

3G2KyFO.png

Side-note, your directions are the most explicit and helpful out of anything I've seen on Reddit, Discord, etc. Thank you again.

**Edit
CRAP. I tried it anyway and it's doing what it did the first time I attempted this whole thing. Bleem install was successful. I followed your directions. I tried to add the game, I removed the USB drive when it told me to, I inserted it into the PSC, powered it on and then I get the brief white screen and the first half-second of the PS1 boot-up noise before the entire system shuts off.

Someone please help?

Last edited:

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
Two quick things.

1. Most games that I have are BIN only. There is no Cue file. Is that a problem?
2. The BIN file is red for most of my games but "Auto Rename Bin File" doesn't fix it and I don't have an "Edit Bin/Cue" option.

3G2KyFO.png

Side-note, your directions are the most explicit and helpful out of anything I've seen on Reddit, Discord, etc. Thank you again.

**Edit
CRAP. I tried it anyway and it's doing what it did the first time I attempted this whole thing. Bleem install was successful. I followed your directions. I tried to add the game, I removed the USB drive when it told me to, I inserted it into the PSC, powered it on and then I get the brief white screen and the first half-second of the PS1 boot-up noise before the entire system shuts off.

Someone please help?

Never had that issue or missing Cue file. What program did you use to burn your game discs? I use Imgburn maybe you need the cue file? Just checked mines and all of my games have a cue file. I think I had the white screen happened once. Unplug it, unplug the USB, reinsert and plug it back on and see if that helps. If it doesn't maybe you need a cue file to make it work. I never tried it without the cue files.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY1DMM0So8U

Try this video. Haven't tried it myself but it may help!

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What are some modding features we're still waiting on? I was tempted to nab the Classic today at Best Buy, but if it's worth waiting a little longer for more convenient updates, then I will.

I just wanted an idea of where things were at, particularly in regards to storage solutions.

mausterhunter

Feb 1, 2019
What are some modding features we're still waiting on? I was tempted to nab the Classic today at Best Buy, but if it's worth waiting a little longer for more convenient updates, then I will.

I just wanted an idea of where things were at, particularly in regards to storage solutions.

The big one we're waiting for is BleemSync 1.1, which is promising OTG support to streamline everything. Currently you have to use the second controller port for your USB drive to implement the hacks, and there's a lot of variance in whether a particular drive is supported due to the limited power draw allowed by the 2.0 port. You end up having to do very simple hardware mod, using a powered hub in the port, or just being lucky that your drive happens to work.

I'm using a 128GB 3.1 drive with no hub or mod, but I've seen a couple people complain that this exact same model doesn't work on their PSC. With OTG support we'll have the second controller port freed up as well as being able to reliably use any USB drive through the rear micro-USB port.

Somebody on reddit compiled a list of some of the target features of Bleemsync 1.1: https://www.reddit.com/r/Playstatio...ion/ejfkcta?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

It's already in a pretty good place, though. The SanDisk Cruzer 2.0 drives up to 64GB are considered reliable and will hold a lot of games without USB hubs or mods necessary until OTG arrives. If there's a good deal on the PSC it's worth jumping in.

Last edited:

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I picked up this usb drive so I could finally get around to installing Autobleem and it appears it doesn't work. I was able to convert it to Fat32 and AutoBleem installed and loaded once and never again, I'm assuming it was a brown out or something of that sort, I knew there were compatibility issues but I thought someone had said that this one should work. Either way, does anyone have any advice on what to do next? Should I buy a new drive or grab a powered hub? For either of those options, does anyone have any suggestions that are currently available on Amazon or at Best Buy?

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Debating weather I should get one, it's cheap near me and in stock still. Can the controllers be used on computer or anything else yet?

mausterhunter

Feb 1, 2019
I picked up this usb drive so I could finally get around to installing Autobleem and it appears it doesn't work. I was able to convert it to Fat32 and AutoBleem installed and loaded once and never again, I'm assuming it was a brown out or something of that sort, I knew there were compatibility issues but I thought someone had said that this one should work. Either way, does anyone have any advice on what to do next? Should I buy a new drive or grab a powered hub? For either of those options, does anyone have any suggestions that are currently available on Amazon or at Best Buy?

I'll note that you can't shut down the PSC with the power button with Autobleem 0.6 beta. It has trouble booting properly afterwards. This was tripping me up when I got started. You can only safely shut it down with the L2+R2 button combo from the autobleem menu.
If it worked once, though, I'd think it would work again. Make sure to unplug the PSC, insert the thumb drive, and reconnect the power. If it really doesn't work out of the box, then a powered hub is the easiest solution for now, unless you're comfortable opening it up and doing the reportedly very simple power limiter mod. I don't have a hub, so I can't make any recommendations.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
Debating weather I should get one, it's cheap near me and in stock still. Can the controllers be used on computer or anything else yet?

They work fine on a PC (at least with Windows and Linux), and Android, and have mappings available so they're ready to use in RetroArch. Should be easy to bind with other standalone emulators.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I'll note that you can't shut down the PSC with the power button with Autobleem 0.6 beta. It has trouble booting properly afterwards. This was tripping me up when I got started. You can only safely shut it down with the L2+R2 button combo from the autobleem menu.
If it worked once, though, I'd think it would work again. Make sure to unplug the PSC, insert the thumb drive, and reconnect the power. If it really doesn't work out of the box, then a powered hub is the easiest solution for now, unless you're comfortable opening it up and doing the reportedly very simple power limiter mod. I don't have a hub, so I can't make any recommendations.

Whoops, I actually meant Bleamsync. I've been using Bleemsync. Does that also have to be shut down via L2+R2?

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
Whoops, I actually meant Bleamsync. I've been using Bleemsync. Does that also have to be shut down via L2+R2?

Bleemsync doesn't need to be shut down in any particular way unless you're running RetroArch. In that case you need to quit RetroArch and then press the power button. The reason for this is that when you press the power button it's more like putting the PSC to sleep rather than actually shutting it down, and RetroArch doesn't behave very well when this happens.

If you're saying the initial hack worked, then you could try reformatting your USB drive in exFAT and re-extracting the Bleemsync files to it. Otherwise if it still doesn't work you'll need to find a low powered USB drive (less than 100ma), buy a powered USB hub, or perform a hardware mod to remove the power limit on the USB port.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Terrific, this topic was what I was looking for! Planning on trying Xenogears this way on the big screen since I got my Classic and could find a good place with everything added together!

CrazyIvan1978

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
Got some info online, and was able to get retroarch from a bleemsync install and added it to my autobleem install on the usb stick. Retroarch is however crapping out on me when I close content via the built in menu (pressing select+start buttons). I am afraid I going to corrupt my usb stick if I unplug the psc, because it will not turn off via the power button...

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Can someone tell me how to properly add artboxes to RetroArch games? I put it under Retroarch>config>thumbnails

but its not registering? Even renamed the png to the name of the game. Is there an easy tutorial? I get Retroarch is really robust but I feel lots of info is fractured everywhere. Hard to know where to look. Would appreciate some hints.

PS: I did download the big file for the system (SNES 500MB or so file) so I just dragged and dropped for the games I wanted to the "thumbnails" folder but it didnt work.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Bleemsync doesn't need to be shut down in any particular way unless you're running RetroArch. In that case you need to quit RetroArch and then press the power button. The reason for this is that when you press the power button it's more like putting the PSC to sleep rather than actually shutting it down, and RetroArch doesn't behave very well when this happens.

If you're saying the initial hack worked, then you could try reformatting your USB drive in exFAT and re-extracting the Bleemsync files to it. Otherwise if it still doesn't work you'll need to find a low powered USB drive (less than 100ma), buy a powered USB hub, or perform a hardware mod to remove the power limit on the USB port.

Hmm, not sure what it takes to short a resistor, if I ever need to do anything hardware I usually just ask one of my buddies for help. I picked up one of those Sandisk Cruzer 2.0 64gb so perhaps that might work better.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
Some credit cards these days have 3 months price protection - if you buy something and it drops in price anywhere else, you can request a refund of the difference through your card provider. My chase card allows me to do this 5 times a year.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Think I want one of these, can't believe how they'd dropped. Do you really think they'll drop further? Now that word is out that it's actually pretty useful, should I scramble for 39.99?

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Been wondering, does this Bleemsync application can be put on the console, so the USB key doesnt stay on the console? I just want to fill up like about 15gb of the 16 in the console of my top like 30-40 games, leaving 1gb of space for save games. I dont want to put anything else than PS1 games, so i dont want to use retroarch.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Never had that issue or missing Cue file. What program did you use to burn your game discs? I use Imgburn maybe you need the cue file? Just checked mines and all of my games have a cue file. I think I had the white screen happened once. Unplug it, unplug the USB, reinsert and plug it back on and see if that helps. If it doesn't maybe you need a cue file to make it work. I never tried it without the cue files.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY1DMM0So8U

Try this video. Haven't tried it myself but it may help!
Wanted to thank you again.

At the point now where I can load Bleemsync from PSC and my rip of Mega Man X4. It just freezes and stutters every 5-8 seconds. Currently trying to figure out why it does this.

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
Wanted to thank you again.

At the point now where I can load Bleemsync from PSC and my rip of Mega Man X4. It just freezes and stutters every 5-8 seconds. Currently trying to figure out why it does this.

I hope the other games work fine and it could be the disc. I only had issues with street fighter alpha, game plays perfectly but the audio is all static. CD is really scratched up so i wonder if that's why. Didn't try my copy of X4 though but I'm sure with further updates It'll be more stable

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I hope the other games work fine and it could be the disc. I only had issues with street fighter alpha, game plays perfectly but the audio is all static. CD is really scratched up so i wonder if that's why. Didn't try my copy of X4 though but I'm sure with further updates It'll be more stable
I can tell you I just tried Alpha 3.

Screen simply went black. This is so disappointing.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Probably a question that's been asked already: Does this support any HID USB controller? I have a Saturn USB pad that would be great for this.

Goat's Beard

Oct 27, 2017

Try installing Retroboot on it. I have that drive and I am able to run Retroarch off it.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Try installing Retroboot on it. I have that drive and I am able to run Retroarch off it.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the Sandisk Cruzer I ordered came in today and I'm happy to report that I was able to get it working with it quite easily. I also picked up a nice HDMI Switch and a 6 port USB AC Adapter, so I now have my NES Classic, SNES Classic, PS Classic, and PSTV happily sitting snuggly under my TV. Pre-ordered the Genesis MIni today too!

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna buy one next Friday and probably pick up one for a friend as a bday gift. Is autobleem on a usb stick the simplest and quickest setup atm or have their been advancements ?

OP
OP
Inugami

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna buy one next Friday and probably pick up one for a friend as a bday gift. Is autobleem on a usb stick the simplest and quickest setup atm or have their been advancements ?

Autobleem is the easiest for playing PS1 games, though it's not 'out of the box' for emulating everything else. You will need to download retroarch and it's cores separately which is a bit of a pain. Still overall, if you want simplicity it's the easiest method overall as of right now IMO.

OP
OP
Inugami

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of finally giving this a go.

Does anyone use a USB hub, and am I right in thinking this will allow you to use the USB stick with Bleensync installed AND the second PS1 controller at the same time?

It also needs to be a USB 2.0 hub, right? Does anyone know if the Amazon Basics version will work?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003M0NURK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_CDDQCbKYA8J9R
Has to be externally powered unless you go into the device and physically mod it.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
KojiKnight Nice thread 👍
I'm trying to get the gist of this but, Autobleem is all you need to play PS1 games. That about right?
How does Bleemsync differ?
Do you need both?

Nov 1, 2017
I'm trying to get the gist of this but, Autobleem is all you need to play PS1 games. That about right?
How does Bleemsync differ?
Do you need both?
Don't need both. You choose one or the other.
Autobleem works by simply copying files to a USB stick on your PC, and plugging it into PSC.
Bleemsync uses a windows app to do this. It's got more features but might be more cumbersome.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Grabbed a PS Classic and a PNY Cache4 USB stick (64GB version). Managed to get the very first boot screen to display correctly and report back successful first install but the console never did the red-blink restart, so I think this USB stick is probably having the "brown out" issue, but I'm fresh installing everything right now. When I plugged it back into my laptop, it said that the USB stick was corrupted, so I've since reformatted it and am about to give it a second go. Going to try with a very old 4GB Sandisk Cruzer I have from my college days (it was given to me in 2006, I think?) and see if that works. I at least want the better emulator, even if 4GB is a bit sparse for adding more games. If that fails, I think I'll try and grab a newer Sandisk Cruzer tomorrow since that seems to be what most people are having success with.

EDIT: Working just fine now with my new attempt. Not sure what went wrong last time but booted into the RetroArch/BleemSync selection screen this time. :)

Last edited:

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Some questions I am hoping someone here can answer for me:

1. Can you store and run the roms right from the flash drive without copying them to the core system?
2. Can they run from the zipped files? Many rom packs have each rom individually zipped. Will the emulator software run it fine like this?
3. How well does all the 2D systems work? From NES to SNES, NeoGeo, Genesis, etc.
4. Which controllers are supported? Wired? Wireless?
5. Can someone link me to a good tutorial video that is the most up to date?

Thanks for your time!

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
ive been trying to get autobleem to work and it just boots to the main screen, i tried 4 diffrent flash drives and no luck, is there some prequisite you gotta do before attempting auto bleem??? am i missing a step before formatting flash drive and moving over the folders?

mausterhunter

Feb 1, 2019
ive been trying to get autobleem to work and it just boots to the main screen, i tried 4 diffrent flash drives and no luck, is there some prequisite you gotta do before attempting auto bleem??? am i missing a step before formatting flash drive and moving over the folders?
Did you rename the drives to SONY and unplug the unit before inserting the drive?

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
Did you rename the drives to SONY and unplug the unit before inserting the drive?
yup and yup, right now im chalking it up to i got a bunch of incompattable Flash Drives. i orded one that is confirmed to work. now i dont have to put anything or do anything to my PS Classic to get AutoBleem to work? nothin like Henkaku on Vita? i should be able to put Auto Bleem on a fresh PS Classic and work?

EDIT: heres a picture of my flash drive and its properties

786f1ca6425bd6d8bd9f74a6c8556cb7.png

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just got a PS1 classic and had a question that I didn't see answered. Thinking about doing Autobleem as that seems easiest. I understand that for mutli-disc games its best to have a bin.file for each disk. thats fine for physical games but a lot of the PS1 games I have are PBP files I brought from PSN. How does that work, or does it?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I want to use this thing, but I'm still waiting for an easier way to implement the emulators

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Just got a PS1 classic and had a question that I didn't see answered. Thinking about doing Autobleem as that seems easiest. I understand that for mutli-disc games its best to have a bin.file for each disk. thats fine for physical games but a lot of the PS1 games I have are PBP files I brought from PSN. How does that work, or does it?
PBP can't have the PSN encryption on them or they won't work... something like that according to the Autobleem site.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I'm not picking this up easy for some reason. Can you, like with the SNES classic, just put your own games in the consoles storage, or do you need to play them off a USB stick? I see a lot of talk and worrying about getting working USB sticks.

edit: To be clear, I haven't even opened my PS classic yet, is the usb stick for installation? For more game storage? How much storage is on the psclassic as is and can you just load your own library of however many games in there instead? If you have to have a usb stick in the second controller port, can you not play multiplayer games on a hacked console?

Last edited: