• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I'm not picking this up easy for some reason. Can you, like with the SNES classic, just put your own games in the consoles storage, or do you need to play them off a USB stick? I see a lot of talk and worrying about getting working USB sticks.

edit: To be clear, I haven't even opened my PS classic yet, is the usb stick for installation? For more game storage? How much storage is on the psclassic as is and can you just load your own library of however many games in there instead? If you have to have a usb stick in the second controller port, can you not play multiplayer games on a hacked console?
It was thanks to this thread that got me interested (again) in getting a PSC.
The working USB issue is that the USB port only provides 100ma(?) which supposedly limits you to USB 2.0 sticks.
I bought a SanDisk 64GB USB 2.0 Cruise Fit type and it just needed a FAT32 format and it worked perfectly.
I haven't seen a 2-player solution since the second port is used for the USB stick.
Things will likely continue to improve so I'd hang on to your PSC for now. As it is now, with Autobleem, it's really good.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure you can still play 2 player games by using a usb hub in the second control port.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure you can still play 2 player games by using a usb hub in the second control port.

Yep, you can. I do this.

A question for anyone that might've done this already... I've got a second PSC. Can I just copy the contents of my USB over to another USB and have everything work fine? Or do i need to go through the process of 'hacking' the second PSC?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question, I've still got my old hacked PSP collection of PS1 eboots and CSO's on a hard drive somewhere (along with some older stuff, ROMs etc). Are they going to work fine with PSC or will they need to be adjusted/re-ripped? Everything was originally fixed to work on PSP, just wasn't sure if I needed to change anything with them or if they will work after drag and drop

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
While we're on this, does Bleemsync have any extra features, like fast loading, texture smoothing, any of that? It seems to be a pretty bare bones emulator.

Nov 1, 2017
While we're on this, does Bleemsync have any extra features, like fast loading, texture smoothing, any of that? It seems to be a pretty bare bones emulator.

Yeah, the interface doesn't expose a whole lot, but you can still change a good number of settings either using the in-game pcsx menus, or pcsx config files.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope the thread updates whenever the 2.0 mod gets released. That will be the one where I dive deep into getting a Classic and modding it.

Oct 27, 2017
Got the Playstation classic today and started putting some games on it. Pretty easy, and the emulation is mostly good. Xenogears seems to be perfect (aside from it starting from disc 2, but part of that could be because I've had some disc issues with the first disc), but there's some sound issues with the Suikoden games from what I've tried so far.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Despite the last few comments, I've somehow managed to completely cock up my PSC Bleemsync install. First it started crashing on boot, then booting without my added games every time I reset it. Figured it was maybe a powered hub issue (despite it working fine up until now). Did an update on my Bleemsync software anyway and now none of my added games are showing up at all.

Waaaaaaaah, I've fucked it.

What's the best way of doing a fresh install? Just wiping the USB and starting again? Do I need to do anything to the console?

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Have you tried Autobleem? For PS1, it was so simple.
AFAIK, for Autobleem and Bleemsync nothing gets written to the system memory and (at least for Auto) nothing needs to be done to the system to work.
For new games, you need to manually scan for them when starting the system after adding them (for Auto at least).

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I forgot to tell my brother to get a USB to use with his classic for modding it, but I have a 32 GB usb that should get the job done just fine. I'll go about setting it up later today.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So have people had luck combining multi disc games into 1 eboot file and getting them to work? I'm trying to figure out how best to do RE2, since its not a typical multi disc game like FFVIII. If I do them seperately I don't know how they'll share a memory card. If I do them together, I don't know how to pick which disc to start. The PSN/PSP version was an eboot file, not sure how it worked on those systems

EDIT: Not having much luck getting a bin/cue file from my Blood Omen Legacy of Kain disc. The files on it seem weird, like not a typical ISO

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
EDIT: OK I think I fixed that but now I got a different question:
How can I use multiple DS4s wirelessly with the PS Classic? Do I have to have the 8bitdo thing?

Last edited:

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone here confirm if you can perform a board swap with a real PSone controller?, I'd love to use a new digital pad on real hardware.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: OK I think I fixed that but now I got a different question:
How can I use multiple DS4s wirelessly with the PS Classic? Do I have to have the 8bitdo thing?
Each controller requires it's own 8bitdo, so you'll want a USB hub and a few of them, I've done some 4 player games on it and had a blast playing.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Each controller requires it's own 8bitdo, so you'll want a USB hub and a few of them, I've done some 4 player games on it and had a blast playing.
Well I have a USB hub and 4 DS4 wires soooooo :P

Anyways, my PS Classic doesn't boot autobleem, and goes straight to the default action. When I shut down my PS Classic, Autobleem screen appears saying that 'Games have changed' and to press X. What is causing this and how do I fix it? I am using a few old USBs I've had for years that are 2.0 and FAT32.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Wait... is there any special thing I need to do for multi cd games? I have them as separate games but I asumed I could exit one and start the other when I have to change disc... I'm thinking that's not how it works?

Edit: So I put the different CDs all in one folder and linked them on the ini, I checked on the console and it shows the games on a single file which is what I expected but it says the games contain only 1 cd, is that normal?

Edit2: Apparently as soon as I plug my usb on the Classic and start it, it unlinks the CDs on the ini, I have no idea why.

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Picked one up at Target for $29.97. Figured it was a good time to get it at that price since the next mod update sounds to be right around the corner.

Before I do anything else, I was wondering what the current options were to get a DS4 working. I don't want to have to shell for the 8bitdo adapter if Bluetooth support is or will be available (I have an adapter for using the DS4 on PC).

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Picked one up at Target for $29.97. Figured it was a good time to get it at that price since the next mod update sounds to be right around the corner.

Before I do anything else, I was wondering what the current options were to get a DS4 working. I don't want to have to shell for the 8bitdo adapter if Bluetooth support is or will be available (I have an adapter for using the DS4 on PC).
Target has it for $30?

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Is one of these things worth $40?

It was $40 at Best Buy earlier this week. Last I saw at Target it was still $60.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wait... is there any special thing I need to do for multi cd games? I have them as separate games but I asumed I could exit one and start the other when I have to change disc... I'm thinking that's not how it works?

Edit: So I put the different CDs all in one folder and linked them on the ini, I checked on the console and it shows the games on a single file which is what I expected but it says the games contain only 1 cd, is that normal?

Edit2: Apparently as soon as I plug my usb on the Classic and start it, it unlinks the CDs on the ini, I have no idea why.
I'd recommending downloading PSX2PSP app first which can turn all of your .bins and ISOs into compressed PBP eboot files, this will save you about 35% of your space.

For multi disc games like FF or MGS, you need to convert each disc to a PBP file 1 at a time but save them on the same folder.

Here is the trick, if you just save the converted eboot file to the same folder, you'll overwrite your previous file because they all do the default name of EBOOT. So once you convert 1 file, you need to rename it, like EBOOT1 or 2 or 3 or so on.

So for Final Fantasy VIII, I'd convert the ISO for disc 4 first. Once its done, you'll have a file folder created by the game's SLUS ID. This ID number will be listed in the PSX2PSP app. Once disc 4 is converted, go into that SLUS folder, rename the EBOOT file to EBOOT4. Convert the ISO for CD 3, then rename it EBOOT3. Keep the name convention until you are done.

When you are ready to add the game to the PS1 classic, browse to that SLUS folder, click and drag to highlight all 4 eboot files then click to add game. When you play the game itself on the PS1 classic, you'll get the note that its a multi-disc game and to switch discs when notified.

The best thing about the eboot files is you don't have to worry about cue files, or configuring the ini file, or having to have any of the additional bonus cds added like those Working Design games so the INI config can recognize the right disc.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I just got one for myself this week. They were 27ish from Blinq (On amazon or ebay) and I had a $3 off code. So it came out to like 25ish due to tax shipped. Looks like they raised the price though and are selling for $33ish now. Easily worth $30 or less if you plan on modding it for the better emulation and ripping your own games onto it. Even if you don't want to put your own games on it, the retroarch emulation runs much better than the current one inside the box. There's much less input lag there.

OP
OP
Inugami

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
For multi disc games like FF or MGS, you need to convert each disc to a PBP file 1 at a time but save them on the same folder.
This isn't necessary. You can save all of the discs at the same time in one pbp and then switch the discs with the in game menu. It's not as clean a setup though.

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't necessary. You can save all of the discs at the same time in one pbp and then switch the discs with the in game menu. It's not as clean a setup though.
PBPs made using psx2pbp break after about 1.5 gbs. You can't access later discs, at least that's what I find. You're honestly better off making each disc it's own pbp and then creating a playlist file for the game

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I tried that and it didn't work for me (I suffered through playing Rebel Assault 2 because it was the shortest multi disc game I had). Possible they weren't set up right in the conversion process, but this was ...more specific (I guess) and the compression saving was about the same. the other reason I switched to this method (found a tutorial on youtube) is because others were having similar issues as me and this method was more consistent.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I'd recommending downloading PSX2PSP app first which can turn all of your .bins and ISOs into compressed PBP eboot files, this will save you about 35% of your space.

Here is the trick, if you just save the converted eboot file to the same folder, you'll overwrite your previous file because they all do the default name of EBOOT. So once you convert 1 file, you need to rename it, like EBOOT1 or 2 or 3 or so on.

So for Final Fantasy VIII, I'd convert the ISO for disc 4 first. Once its done, you'll have a file folder created by the game's SLUS ID. This ID number will be listed in the PSX2PSP app. Once disc 4 is converted, go into that SLUS folder, rename the EBOOT file to EBOOT4. Convert the ISO for CD 3, then rename it EBOOT3. Keep the name convention until you are done.

When you are ready to add the game to the PS1 classic, browse to that SLUS folder, click and drag to highlight all 4 eboot files then click to add game. When you play the game itself on the PS1 classic, you'll get the note that its a multi-disc game and to switch discs when notified.

The best thing about the eboot files is you don't have to worry about cue files, or configuring the ini file, or having to have any of the additional bonus cds added like those Working Design games so the INI config can recognize the right disc.

Thx! I solved it on my own but since I have a 16gb pendrive a couple of games didn't make it so I might try what you say if that's gonna save me some space, I only need about 4 single CD games so maybe that'll do.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
i am considering picking up one here for the modding scene but i have two questions. Since the controller does not have analog sticks how do you play games that need it and secondly do you need external storage or is it like the SNES classic can i use the internal storage?

Ghostavus

Nov 16, 2017
Quick heads up for those interested and by a MicroCenter. Their cheap 32 gb USB 2.0 drive seems to work well with Autobleem. Easy / cheap option if you are near their store.

Also, just have to say that it is truly crazy how easy this thing is to set up! Literally drag and drop.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
Anyone use USB extension cords for this?

I haven't opened my PSC yet, but I did get this to go with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L5T591K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since the USB cable is really just a micro USB plugged directly in a slot inside the controller, you can open up the controller and replace it with the extension. Then plug the original cable into the extension and retain the look of the housing that plugs into the console.

Or if you don't care about the aesthetics, just get any USB extension.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I use these without any problems.
Thx. I ended up getting them in gray to match the system.

I haven't opened my PSC yet, but I did get this to go with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L5T591K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since the USB cable is really just a micro USB plugged directly in a slot inside the controller, you can open up the controller and replace it with the extension. Then plug the original cable into the extension and retain the look of the housing that plugs into the console.

Or if you don't care about the aesthetics, just get any USB extension.

Well damn, now I've got a hankering to tinker and open up the controllers. Red braided Kevlar USB cables? Maybe. :P