• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where is Mario during the events of NSLU?

• On vacation

Votes: 64 25.4%
  • Six feet under

Votes: 188 74.6%

• Total voters

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I missed New Super Mario Bros. U back when it first came out in that strange period between the Wii and the Switch (I think I remember people calling it a "weeyou" game?). So I picked up the Deluxe re-release for Switch, and have since played through both parts of the collection. But while my time with NSMBU was lighthearted fun, its expansion, New Super Luigi U, was a different story. From the very beginning, something was wrong. Very wrong.
DXBRcb8.jpg

Above is a screenshot of the opening scene of New Super Mario Bros. U. We see the Mario Bros. having cake at the castle with Peach and a pair of Toads, all smiles. Your typical banal setup for a 2D Mario game. Nothing out of the ordinary here.
3ak8DuF.jpg

Here is New Super Luigi U's version of the scene. Immediately, something is not right here. Mario Is Missing. But what's disturbing is not that we are expected to believe the Princess invited Luigi over for tea and cake without Mario. It's that Mario's hat is present and accounted for, but Mario himself isn't.

If you've spent any time with Super Mario over the past three decades, you know that he doesn't go anywhere without his hat. Mario and his hat are inseparable, and he has a strong compulsion towards keeping it on him at all times. In the Paper Mario series, Mario is shown to even sleep with his hat on. In Mario 64, Mario immediately chases after the thieving bird Klepto when it steals his hat, not resting until he gets it back. And in Mario Odyssey, Mario is visibly distraught by the destruction of his old hat at the hands of Bowser, and lasts about five minutes before finding a replacement.
maxresdefault.jpg

Mario would not just take his hat off to go to the bathroom or something; nor would he ever be so careless as to dash off somewhere else and forget it. The presence of the empty cap in this scene suggests that the while the hat survives, its owner does not.
TqaWucC.jpg

Now let's take a closer look at Luigi. He certainly isn't the most stable fictional character out there; I actually did a full psychological profile of him for a class once (lol). He is no stranger to delusion, having previously suffered a lengthy bout of dissociative identity disorder. Ostensibly, the Mushroom Kingdom of New Super Luigi U is the same as that of NSMBU, and the two games share the exact same map. The individual levels, however, are wildly different; different, in fact, in ways that do not seem quite real.
vAsVPTo.jpg

Here's New Super Luigi U's 1-1. This giant sign, which certainly didn't exist in the original game, is highly misanthropic and disturbing. Luigi took the time to replace the letters of Mario's name with his own, yet deliberately left the word 'Bros.' crossed out, still visible underneath a pair of angry paint slashes; he is directly writing his brother out of his life. Once you are done gazing at the sign itself, however, you notice a detail that doesn't quite make sense: namely, what is the sign being held up by? It's not the big tree, nor the mountain, both of which exist much farther into the background. If you jump up to the very top of the screen, you will see that the only thing above the ropes is open sky. This sign could not possibly hang as-is; in other words, it cannot be real.
S2dSnOz.jpg

Here's another peculiar detail from two levels later. Wow. Apart from being clearly megalomaniacal, the presence of this topiary also doesn't make any sense. Are we supposed to believe that a lone, 15-foot-high, incredibly-detailed monument to Luigi was commissioned and erected by a master craftsman, randomly in the middle of Acorn Plains? Or, is it more likely to be a warped illusion of Luigi's distorted mind?
luigi.jpg

In New Super Luigi U, Luigi teams up with Nabbit, an ignominious and wanted thief. In NSMBU, the Mushroom Kingdom regards Nabbit as an evil criminal, and Mario is rewarded for capturing him and turning him in; however, to Luigi, he is a perfectly germane and happy traveling companion. What made Luigi decide he belongs in the company of criminals?

By the way, have you noticed the timer in all these screenshots? Whereas in NSMBU, you are given plenty of time to explore and enjoy levels, New Super Luigi U gives every course a strict and pressuring 100-second time limit. Luigi is always on the run.
7ZdVlrv.jpg

There is one more thing to unpack about these stages. Do you see the absurd number of Piranha Plants in this screenshot, and the one above it? Unlike NSMBU, which starts off fully relaxed and slowly adds an increasing, but manageable challenge, New Super Luigi U's courses are from the very start a hellish gauntlet of endless traps, obstacles, and enemies – far more firepower, in fact, than the Koopa Army is known to employ. Do these horrifying places really exist, all over the Mushroom Kingdom? Or, are they merely the guilt-riddled nightmares of a felon on the lam?
xZNc2Qu.jpg

One final detail makes the true nature of New Super Luigi U most obvious. In the Toad Houses throughout the game, Luigi is granted the exclusive opportunity to obtain a 3-Up, appearing in the form of a smiling crescent moon.
latest

In the Tarot, the Moon Arcana symbolizes "dreams, madness, illusions, fear, fantasy, the subconscious, and trickery". The meaning is clear. The world of New Super Luigi U is not reality. It is a fantasy world – a warped and illusory nightmare of a deeply-troubled man, struggling to come to terms with having committed the unthinkable.

In conclusion, this post provides my indisputable proof of how New Super Luigi U is the harrowing adventure of a delusional Luigi after he murdered his brother in cold blood. In light of such damning evidence, do you agree with my conclusion? Disagree? Can you find a way to fit Bowsette into all this?
If you read through all this and were hoping it would end with something like "Wait! Mario shows up at the very end! All is well!", I'm afraid to tell you that it doesn't. The final scene of NSLU is as arresting for its disappearing act as the opening scene:
il45Eaq.jpg

h9IK5yV.jpg

Some real Orwellian shit...*shudder*

Last edited:

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Mario is not who we think he is. We're actually playing as the hat, who's possessed a poor normal plumber, Greg, to do his work for him.

Mario was invited to the tea party. He's right there. Mario is the hat.

Mario jumped into some spikes earlier that day so Greg had to go to the hospital.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
3ak8DuF.jpg

Well, what do you think they're eating here?...
The hat is all that's left.
In New Super Mario U, Peach said "Let's eat, Mario!"
In New Super Luigi U, she said "Let's eat Mario!"
And here we are.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In New Super Luigi U, Luigi teams up with Nabbit, an ignominious and wanted thief. In NSMBU, the Mushroom Kingdom regards Nabbit as an evil criminal, and Mario is rewarded for capturing him and turning him in; however, to Luigi, he is a perfectly germane and happy traveling companion. What made Luigi decide he belongs in the company of criminals?

By the way, have you noticed the timer in all these screenshots? Whereas in NSMBU, you are given plenty of time to explore and enjoy levels, New Super Luigi U gives every course a strict and pressuring 100-second time limit. Luigi is always on the run.

Lol!!!

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
New Super Luigi U takes place in a universe where Dimentio erases half of the world's population using the Pure Hearts.
DimentioSuperPaperMario.png

Peach fell into a great depression after Mario failed his mission and died, heavily damaging the kingdom.
So Luigi had to finish the job, knowing the Mushroom Kingdom would never survive if Peach was still stuck in her current emotional state. He used the remaining power of the Hearts to erase everyone's memories of Mario.

Luigi would from then on be known as the sole hero of the Mushroom Kingdom, but he would be haunted forever by what happened to his big bro. Leading to hallucinations like the hat in the intro.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously it's the last game in the timeline, Mario died and the gang is sad about it so they put the hat there to remember the good old memories.

OP
OP
ASaiyan

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
You can't just mention this and not link us this profile, OP.
It was for high school AP Psych, more than 5 years ago. After I typed that sentence I went looking for a copy in my document backup folder, but alas, no luck :/

Personally, I thought it was pretty great. But it got like a B- or something because the teacher was a bit of a stickler, lol.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The 'Moon arcana' bit really rocketed this from 'pretty funny' to 'fucking hilarious' lmao

Also this is my headcanon now. Luigi U is Luigi's Nightmare in Dreamland.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was for high school AP Psych, more than 5 years ago. After I typed that sentence I went looking for a copy in my document backup folder, but alas, no luck :/

Personally, I thought it was pretty great. But it got like a B- or something because the teacher was a bit of a stickler, lol.
The teacher voted Waluigi for Smash.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Never thought I would read that Luigi suffers from dissociative identity disorder, but here we are.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The night before, Luigi was convinced that Mario was plotting to get rid of him.

4HXRYqQ.gif

When he asked Mario if everything was okay, Mario humiliated him once again.

4UPScNJ.gif

For the last time.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
OP, can you work your thesis to fit in with Terminal 7 and the rest of the Vinesauce extended universe?

(spoopy video)

Terminal 7 is a recurring nightmare Luigi suffers in the NEW SUPER LUIGI U CANON

While Peach may have lost her memories, Luigi always remembered Mario, constantly blames himself for his death, and fears that the same thing will happen to Peach.
tenor.gif

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Luigi was too busy getting amped about being the lead in the best 2D platformer in the Mario franchise to worry about gutting Mario. He was probably getting a haircut, hence the hat.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
New Super Luigi U takes place in an alternate timeline where Mario lost against Shadow Mario in Delfino Island. Mario presumably died, but Peach managed to escape and found Mario's hat while doing so. The opening scene in NSLU is actually her telling Luigi the bad news of what happened at Delfino, and the poison goop now spreading to the Mushroom Kingdom.

The levels in NSLU are actually Luigi escaping the spreading poison goop (which is why the timer is so low and the levels go by so quick), in the hopes to find a way to reverse it, but it's all in vain as everything is covered in goop and Mushroom Kingdom and all its inhabitants cease to exist.

Centuries later, the world is reborn and new creatures born through several mutations start to inhabit it. This is where the events of Splatoon and Splatoon 2 take place.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Mario had been working on setting up his construction company that opened two years later, September 2015. And since the firm proved very successful, Luigi will join him this June.