• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
OfRnFlT.png

What... is THAT!?

Pre-evolved form of Moomintroll:
csjw6.png

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
The designs for the og 151 are basically the final designs at this point. There's a few of the new ones that resemble the finals as well, and they've gotten away from the monochrome, heavy shaded look that definite the red/green sprite (except for Kingdra). The cartoony outlines are on full display here and lots of placeholders.

Deleted member 19742

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
"Twins" (Twinz?), the Shadow Pokemon. It actually seems mostly unrelated to the final wobbuffet. Although I guess it might be the reason Wobbuffet's pokedex description in Gold mentions that it dislikes light.

I'm trying to (really badly via Google's JP to ENG function) decipher the summary for this one. I'm becoming really inclined to think that Twinz became Wobbuffet. The Silver bio seems to mention lurking in the dark and counterattacking. The last sentence seems to mention three times the pain back? But again, I'm not even close to good with Japanese; I can only basically decipher hiragana and katakana.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
"Twins" (Twinz?), the Shadow Pokemon. It actually seems mostly unrelated to the final wobbuffet. Although I guess it might be the reason Wobbuffet's pokedex description in Gold mentions that it dislikes light.
Could also be why Wobbuffet has eyes on its tail

ERAsaur also brought up some of the the other quirks in an older post durign the paceworld demo iirc.

I can fully believe this blob is a placeholder concept as they began the transition from "twinz" to "wobbuffet"

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Very curious about the types at this point. It feels like they've already moved away from poison stone/heart stone (both Espeon and Umbreon have their final designs, as does Blissey.)

I wonder if the Spaceworld demo included a bunch of red/green sprites that theyjust never used and never planned on using, hence all the babies that disappeared?

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Could also be why Wobbuffet has eyes on its tail

ERAsaur also brought up some of the the other quirks in an older post durign the paceworld demo iirc.

I can fully believe this blob is a placeholder concept as they began the transition from "twinz" to "wobbuffet"
This is interesting. In the Spaceworld demo, a Pokemon named Twinz evolved into Girafarig (which had two identical heads at that time) at level 29. I can see definitely see some resemblance between the Spaceworld Twinz and Wobbuffet's tail.

PokeGoldDemo-back_193.png

kotaku.com

Old Pokémon Gold And Silver Demo Shows Features That Never Made It

Pokémon Gold and Silver once had a bigger map, many more Pokémon, and even a skateboard, according to a new leak of a pre-release demo for the two 1999 Pokémon games.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Very curious about the types at this point. It feels like they've already moved away from poison stone/heart stone (both Espeon and Umbreon have their final designs, as does Blissey.)

I wonder if the Spaceworld demo included a bunch of red/green sprites that theyjust never used and never planned on using, hence all the babies that disappeared?
I'm guessing they culled half the babies just for the sake of adding more new lines rather than just them being left overs they always planned to remove. At the very least they had proper evolution data, spritework and moves that were in line with everyone else.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Beta Gen 1 made me go "why didn't we get these".
Beta Gen 2 is making me go "well we dodged a bullet with that one".

quagsire though

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing they culled half the babies just for the sake of adding more new lines rather than just them being left overs they always planned to remove. At the very least they had proper evolution data, spritework and moves that were in line with everyone else.
I guess. I'm just thrown by how in this version, all the spritework has moved away from the shaded monochrome we saw with the babies/extra evolutions in the demo. But I guess due to Gold/Silver's dev hell, it's likely they shifted when Iwata came on board and jettisoned the stuff they didn't think was working, including the babies, as well as upgrading the art.

Deleted member 19742

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, the first word in the bio you linked is "light". This is pre-final Wobbuffet. Twinz became Wobbuffet and was once linked to Girafarig! Though I'm pretty sure the theories have been out there for a while.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
These leaks seem pretty similar to the final game, but damn that spaceword 1997 demo will go down as legendary, i don't think Gamefreak wanted us to see many of those designs because they maybe wanted to reuse them (some of them like leafeon obviously did get used)

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Apparently this is the back sprite for Twinz in this build, going by that 4chan thread. Completely different from the placeholder front sprite, although it ties in with the Spaceworld 97' Twinz which seemed to be intended to be a Girafarig pre-evo (although it also looks completely different from that).

(Named is messed up because he's just using a code to change a Pokemon into another one)

Last edited:

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Apparently this is the back sprite for Twinz in this build, going by that 4chan thread. Completely different from the placeholder front sprite, although it ties in with the Spaceworld 97' Twinz which seemed to be intended to be a Girafarig pre-evo (although it also looks completely different from that).
So that pretty conclusively links Wobbuffet to Girafarig, via Twinz.

Decades of speculation actually paid off. I'm in awe of this leak.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I thought that tweet was about the gen 1 source codes and betas, not the gen 2 source codes.

But man these sprites are just...really bad. The Spaceworld sprites were definitely a little off in places, very gen 1, but those still had an air of "this could have been in the final game". These uhhh dont

e:
Yeah I found the tcrf tweet

This was just about the gen 1 leaks earlier this month, not anything dealing with gen 2. Unless they put another statement somewhere.
So are we sure any of this batch is real?

Wait, there was another gen 1 leak? I need to know... do we have anything more of the best cut pokemon Crocky?

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Most of these look like placeholders/rough sketch designs rather than anything that was meant to ever be final. Though it's interesting that this version of Shuckle looks like it's supposed to be a snake in a jar rather than...whatever it's supposed to be lol.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

This thread is someone slowly going through assorted thigns in the archive, such as correspondence within & between gamefreak

There's some interesting behind the scenes dev stuff thrown around

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
Don't expect clear explanations of any of this for quite some time, there's way too much in these.

Also somebody just found some Spaceworld-era unused Pokemon in the Korean source too so those should be showing up shortly. There's apparently 48 of them, numbered 300-448 alongside the Spaceworld ones we already saw two years ago.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Oh wow my post aged like shit, this leak might have cut Gen 1 Pokemon that Gamefreak just LOVE to tease us with small doses of.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
This leak is the holy grail confirmed.

1587773845746.png

EDIT: One of the builds is in the process of changing the Elite Four roster from the '97 lineup to the final one. All the rooms are different, Will is Giovanni (with coloured Yellow sprite), Koga is actually Agatha with new sprite(!), with Lorelei is still the final E4 member (also with new sprite!).

ENA1JU6.png

hxVumgf.png

Last edited:

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK

1587773845746.png

EDIT: One of the builds is in the process of changing the Elite Four roster from the '97 lineup to the final one. All the rooms are different, Will is Giovanni (with coloured Yellow sprite), Koga is actually Agatha with new sprite(!), with Lorelei is still the final E4 member (also with new sprite!).

ENA1JU6.png

hxVumgf.png

oh my god

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

1587773845746.png

ENA1JU6.png

hxVumgf.png
PM2F-380 hello there, that's one of those gen 1 beta backsprites for sure.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Have we found a Gorochu sprite yet? I'm desperate to see one.

TriggerShy

Mar 26, 2018

1587773845746.png

ENA1JU6.png

hxVumgf.png

Those spikes on Cyndaquil's back makes me wish these sprites were in color, because I'm starting to think that's ice.

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
There's an older version of the regions in the Korean source too, but that will take time to build. Seems like it was from around the era of that one trailer, Route 45 is all green instead of being covered with dirt.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

1587773845746.png

ENA1JU6.png

hxVumgf.png

Holy crap, what is 401? It looks like a bone dragon.
Also is 440 another Eevee?

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017

1587773845746.png

ENA1JU6.png

hxVumgf.png
yo holy shit

Nov 25, 2019
Oh my, there are even more Pokémon left to be discovered there! The mouse with gigantic ears, the mosquito... all those from 397 to 407!

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
Everytime I see that electric tiger I feel sad. They need to bring it back

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
402 reminds me of a Pol's Voice from Zelda
407 seems to be based on a sakura blossom? Probably eventually turned into Cherrim later down the line.

I wonder if 412 was turned into Dunsparce. Some of the protosprites from that "inbetween" build are similar and it is a fat snake. If so, 415 was likely its evolution.