• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Obviously it's no secret that Pokémon is easily one of the biggest franchises ever, & one of Nintendo's top franchises by extension (arguably bigger than Mario, though that can be debated). With that said, it's honestly disappointing when one realizes that Pokémon usually exists in its own little bubble relative to the rest of Nintendo. Sure, Pokémon does cross over with the rest of the company when it comes to the Smash games, with Pikachu & Jigglypuff being part of the Original 12. But outside of Smash, Pokémon rarely joins in on the fun when it comes to other Nintendo games. For example...
  • Mario Kart 8 (Deluxe): No Pokémon Amiibo costumes whatsoever, in a game where even Sega, Capcom, & Bandai Namco were cool with being represented.
  • Super Mario Maker: There were Pokémon costumes, but the initial wave of Smash Amiibo-based Pokémon costumes lacked any unique sounds. The Gen 1 starters that were added later did have sounds, but the problem was never rectified for the others.
  • Yoshi's Woolly World: Like MK8(D), no Pokémon costumes are present in the game. Again, this is a game where we also have Sonic, Mega Man, & Pac-Man represented.
Credit where it's due, The Pokémon Company did make a Mario-Pikachu (& I think a Luigi-Pikachu) plush as well as that piece of Mario-Pokémon crossover art from not too long ago, so it's not like they aren't improving. But imagine stuff like a playable Pikachu in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, drawings of various Pokémon in WarioWare Gold (granted, there aren't any non-EPD franchises that have their Amiibos supported in that game, but you get my point), or at least having Pokémon avatars on the Switch. There's a lot that could be done with Pokémon in regards to crossovers, but TPCi is leaving money on the table on that front. I say this as a fan of both Pokémon & Nintendo as a whole, but I wish that they'd let the Pokémon have fun with the rest of their Nintendo buddies.

Status
Not open for further replies.