• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Since Game Freak confirmed they were working on the new, mainline Pokémon game for the switch, I've been thinking about what exactly they would want to do with it. The switch its a powerful console that you can take on the Go, and that has all the capabilities the Pokémon team have been championing for years, such as been able to play with anyone, anywhere and taking the fun with you.

So we know its going to be a Pokémon game, but how much are they going to mess with the formula? Would they go all out and completely revamp the battle system?

I feel like the game would sell millions regardless, but I think they should stick to the tried and true battle system. Turn based combat makes the games really accessible for all kinds of players and making changes to it, like making it more dynamic or action heavy would put off a lot of potential buyers.

Then again, innovation is important to keep a series to get stale, and it worked for Zelda. It seems gamers are in love with open world, and Pokémon has been needing to get ambitious and large scale for a while now.

Should they stick to the RPG 4 move format or try something new with the battle system?

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It is the first TRUE console pokemon.
That is enough of a change. So keep change to what was expected in a new generation.

Keep it classic and the next generation of games they do something crazier.

Get the basics right in a console version than you extrapolate

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Tradinnovation.
Turn based battled but in an open world where you don't transition in.
Also, you can actually fly around the world on a flying Pokemon.

Diamond0892

Nov 10, 2017
For me at least, Game Freak has already shown that they can be innovative while keeping their traditional formula. Mega evolutions and Z moves are indeed big features which made impact into the competitive scene. I'm confident that they will keep the turn-based RPG gameplay, but with some new features as well.

It's true that the world must receive changes, but I don't think the open-world is can suit the games. GF likes to create a specific story so the players can improve along the journey and learn the basics, and offering an open world would change that. It happened with BotW in the end...

I think the best way to make the world feel bigger and more alive is to introduce more interactions with the environment and exploration. Or, for example, make bigger cities (like the big city in the Unova region).

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
whynotboth.gif

GF has been pretty good about maintaining the traditions of the series while including new things like Mega, Z moves, etc.

I do however hope they don't innovate just for the sake of innovation and destroy a part of the series like that battle system rumor going around.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I think the first console Pokemon with console production values and graphics will be enough to sell everyone on this one, even if it's just the same old 8 badges+evil team setup and turn based gameplay.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
It will be the same Pokemon we all love

- A new region with new Pokemon
- A new mechanic similar to Z-Moves and Mega Evolutions
- Mega Evolutions and Regional Variants will not be developed further, no new ones
- Same battle system of course, that will never change
- Similar handholding
- Even more cutscenes

Also watch this:

At 22:40 they talk about how they interviewed Masuda and asked specifically about adding time-based elements to the battles. Masuda said no because they want to keep the games accessible for everyone.

Last edited:

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Innovation makes way for new audience. see breath of the wild's success

Anyway give voice acting give me pokemon botw

Oct 25, 2017
Keep the battle system.
Innovate on how we travel. S/M came up with a few ideas, but was mainly hampered by the linearity. That's where the series needs innovate.

And of course we always expect a worthwhile post-game.

That is enough of a change. So keep change to what was expected in a new generation.

You say that now.

Tradinnovation.
Turn based battled but in an open world where you don't transition in.
Also, you can actually fly around the world on a flying Pokemon.

You'd be surprised at how old that got in ORAS.

Deleted member 16849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im just glad HMs are now items. That shit went on for WAY too long and shouldn't of been there in the first place and shows Gamefreak is a very stubborn company when in comes to innovation. Same goes for moving diagonally.

Sams

Oct 27, 2017
I have a feeling it will be a mix.
New generation.
Turn based gameplay is still the same.
World traversal will be different. Like more open areas, not botw however.
New Pokemon but around xy numbers so 70ish.
There won't be a new special game move but mega evolution and z moves will return in a big way.
Story will be very prevalent.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the first console Pokemon with console production values and graphics will be enough to sell everyone on this one, even if it's just the same old 8 badges+evil team setup and turn based gameplay.
This basically, I have a bucket list of wants for Pokémon innovation if time and constraints weren't a factor at all, but Game Freak need only deliver on something that people deem "console-esque" to look at to be an resounding success. That's not to say they won't do nothing new, for the rhetoric that people on here, myself included, have put that this will be a safe release for Game Freak, they have never once shied away with adding some sense of QoL improvement to each release and re-release (even if they never build upon them, making them a generation-only improvement).

I'm just excited to see what they bring to the table, not see it flipped by them.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since Game Freak confirmed they were working on the new, mainline Pokémon game for the switch, I've been thinking about what exactly they would want to do with it. The switch its a powerful console that you can take on the Go, and that has all the capabilities the Pokémon team have been championing for years, such as been able to play with anyone, anywhere and taking the fun with you.

So we know its going to be a Pokémon game, but how much are they going to mess with the formula? Would they go all out and completely revamp the battle system?

I feel like the game would sell millions regardless, but I think they should stick to the tried and true battle system. Turn based combat makes the games really accessible for all kinds of players and making changes to it, like making it more dynamic or action heavy would put off a lot of potential buyers.

Then again, innovation is important to keep a series to get stale, and it worked for Zelda. It seems gamers are in love with open world, and Pokémon has been needing to get ambitious and large scale for a while now.

Should they stick to the RPG 4 move format or try something new with the battle system?

Anyone that says that they need to dump out 21 one years of the tried and staple battle systems fails to understand that the battle system also works on conjunction with the meta game and will do well to remember that Pokémon is a simple but deep game.

What Game Freak really needs to do is dial back on the hand holding and look back to the gen 1-5 games and remember what Pokémon is about.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tradition, but when I say that I'm talking about the series before Gen 6. Although that Game Informer interview has them basically admitting they really want to double down on Sun and Moon. *barf*

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind them sticking to the basic formula, but let me not be a child. Late teen or even early 20s would be rad.

The less like Sun and Moon, the better though.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Keep the battle system.
Innovate on how we travel. S/M came up with a few ideas, but was mainly hampered by the linearity. That's where the series needs innovate.

And of course we always expect a worthwhile post-game.

You say that now.

The sentence next to the one you bolded is basically what you wrote above my quote.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It will be the same Pokemon we all love

- A new region with new Pokemon
- A new mechanic similar to Z-Moves and Mega Evolutions
- Mega Evolutions and Regional Variants will not be developed further, no new ones
- Same battle system of course, that will never change
- Similar handholding
- Even more cutscenes

Also watch this:

At 22:40 they talk about how they interviewed Masuda and asked specifically about adding time-based elements to the battles. Masuda said no because they want to keep the games accessible for everyone.

What the fuck?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever we get, it'll have the same turn-based battle system -- that's a given.

I'd also refrain from expecting a BotW-style open world evolution, especially since this title is going to have a similar development time frame as other Pokemon games, and first generation games have played it safer in scope, IIRC.

That said, hopefully it will be somewhat expansive... Xenoblade 2 worked miracles with a short turnover.

sharpforprez

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If it looks like some Xenoblade Chronicles 2 nonsense graphically, they're fucked. It can play however.

CRiSC0

Oct 27, 2017
Bit of both. An open world like BOTW would be great, but I don't know if I want to see the combat change too much. Scared they will ruin it lol!

Oct 25, 2017
The sentence next to the one you bolded is basically what you wrote above my quote.
That is enough of a change.

My point is, being on a new console isn't enough of a change. Do the things you couldn't do on a handheld. We're not paying $20 more for HD graphics.

I want gen 8, I don't want Pokemon HD.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
That is enough of a change.

My point is, being on a new console isn't enough of a change. Do the things you couldn't do on a handheld. We're not paying $20 more for HD graphics.

I want gen 8, I don't want Pokemon HD.

My post has more than this.

OP is not asking about a new gen, they mentioned BotW style inovation. That is "scrap everything else and lets redo the basics" type of innovation

Shrike

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there that rumor that the theme of the games would be tradition vs innovation, B/W-style? I propose something radical then: the version aligned with tradition would be, well, traditional. It would use the same turn-based battle system, gyms, all that traditional Pokemon stuff. Meanwhile the innovation version would be completely different, with a different battle system and even structure to the game!

...That will never happen, of course. I don't think they'd want to lock out people with different versions from battling each other since the two systems couldn't be compatible. I'm honestly pretty neutral on where they do go with the games; I'd like to see something new like Zelda and Mario got, but I understand there's good reasons for keeping Pokemon roughly the same and it's not like I don't enjoy the standard Pokemon formula.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
I feel like they're gonna be lazy with it and just up-res the 3DS engine and do minimal work or changes, because it'll sell like crazy no matter what.

I'd love to see them take the opportunity kind of set back the clock and draw back in lapsed fans (like myself) who stopped keeping up with the series when they added hundreds of new Pokemon with every entry and the series went up it's own ass with more and more systems and meta nonsense. It could be a lot more than just another Pokemon game if they do it right. I feel like they could do a lot more if they don't feel so beholden to the series roots and tropes. Limit the number of Pokemon if it means they can get more out of the ones they do include. Improve the quality of battle animations so that they don't look so dumb and farcical, to where moves actually connect. I wanna go back to being a fan of the Pokemon games and get that same sense of wonder I had when I was a kid playing Red and Blue, but the series at this point just looks like a Frankenstein amalgamation of mechanics, dumb Pokemon, and convoluted systems stapled on top of the same core base that hasn't changed in 20 years. A real HD, console-sized Pokemon RPG is exactly the kind of pivot point the series could make use of to freshen things up.

I know a lot of people, lapsed fans like me, that are super exited about the prospect of this one. But if it's just a shiny 3DS game like they'll probably end up doing, then all the hype will be for naught.

Loreth_94

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Chances are there will be very little innovation for two reasons:

1. The additional time and resources it will take to create the game for a home console vs. portable.
2. They know this game will sell incredibly well regardless of its quality.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
These are not mutually exclusive. Come on now. They doin't have to drastically change genre to innovate. The games evolve constantly, why do people act like they're always the same?

How many times a week do we need this thread, too?

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
There need to be more ways to interact with Pokémon in this next game. Battles are great, but there hardly the main reason people love this franchise.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
I hope all Nintendo games take a cue from Zelda and skip the damn tutorials.

I stopped buying Pokémon after Y because I'm tired of being told how to press A after 20 years.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I feel like they're gonna be lazy with it and just up-res the 3DS engine and do minimal work or changes, because it'll sell like crazy no matter what.

I'd love to see them take the opportunity kind of set back the clock and draw back in lapsed fans (like myself) who stopped keeping up with the series when they added hundreds of new Pokemon with every entry and the series went up it's own ass with more and more systems and meta nonsense. It could be a lot more than just another Pokemon game if they do it right. I feel like they could do a lot more if they don't feel so beholden to the series roots and tropes. Limit the number of Pokemon if it means they can get more out of the ones they do include. Improve the quality of battle animations so that they don't look so dumb and farcical, to where moves actually connect. I wanna go back to being a fan of the Pokemon games and get that same sense of wonder I had when I was a kid playing Red and Blue, but the series at this point just looks like a Frankenstein amalgamation of mechanics, dumb Pokemon, and convoluted systems stapled on top of the same core base that hasn't changed in 20 years. A real HD, console-sized Pokemon RPG is exactly the kind of pivot point the series could make use of to freshen things up.

I know a lot of people, lapsed fans like me, that are super exited about the prospect of this one. But if it's just a shiny 3DS game like they'll probably end up doing, then all the hype will be for naught.
  • Part of the draw of new Pokémon generations are the new Pokémon (not just from a "new game hype" perspective, but also for merchandising). Limiting the number of Pokémon wouldn't do the game any favors, especially when they already have hundreds of HD models for the existing 807 Pokémon ready to go.
  • The term "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" would apply to the existing battle system. You don't see people wanting Street Fighter to completely reinvent its gameplay. They've made too many refinements to the existing battle system to start from zero. Not to mention that stuff like Pokémon Bank & the competitive scene are built around the existing battle system.
  • While I would love more intricate animations for the Pokémon, that's a bit unrealistic given that we'll probably be damn near 900 Pokémon by the time Gen 8 comes along. And while you do argue that limiting the number of Pokémon would help, I mentioned the problem with that already.

These are not mutually exclusive. Come on now. They doin't have to drastically change genre to innovate. The games evolve constantly, why do people act like they're always the same?

How many times a week do we need this thread, too?
See, he gets it.

Magic Kaito

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon's been playing it fairly safe all these years. For once it'd be nice for a new generation to be one giant step forward, as opposed to one step forward and one or two steps back.

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there that rumor that the theme of the games would be tradition vs innovation, B/W-style? I propose something radical then: the version aligned with tradition would be, well, traditional. It would use the same turn-based battle system, gyms, all that traditional Pokemon stuff. Meanwhile the innovation version would be completely different, with a different battle system and even structure to the game!

...That will never happen, of course. I don't think they'd want to lock out people with different versions from battling each other since the two systems couldn't be compatible. I'm honestly pretty neutral on where they do go with the games; I'd like to see something new like Zelda and Mario got, but I understand there's good reasons for keeping Pokemon roughly the same and it's not like I don't enjoy the standard Pokemon formula.
No. What? What does rumor even mean in this context?

Shrike

Oct 25, 2017
No. What? What does rumor even mean in this context?

It's from this rumor thread, "Central plot revolves around the conflict between tradition and innovation" Like how in Black and White the plot revolved around truth vs ideals with the player and N representing one side depending on which version you had.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's from this rumor thread, "Central plot revolves around the conflict between tradition and innovation" Like how in Black and White the plot revolved around truth vs ideals with the player and N representing one side depending on which version you had.

That... Sounds too on the nose and exactly like something a fan would come up with.

Oct 30, 2017
As long as it's not bombarding me with tedious, unskippable tutorials and rubbish plot while never ever letting go of my hand as it drags me down boring corridors (looking at you, Sun & Moon) I'm happy.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
They will never reinvent the battle system, full stop. Thats for the spin offs. Expect more Sun and Moon inching further with new ideas.