• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Listening to fans would make the game competitively focused and awful.

Fans have the worst ideas

So they need to change genre? No. Why do people keep acting like turn-based is bad?

In this thread I didn't even say change the genre, I said I wanted more interaction. But now that you bring it up I wouldn't mind a main entry being action oriented either.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
In this thread I didn't even say change the genre, I said I wanted more interaction. But now that you bring it up I wouldn't mind a main entry being action oriented either.
Then it wouldnt be a main entry.

They just released Pokken for people who wanted a "real time pokemon game that looked like the anime". Just compare the sales and reviews of that with the turn based games.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Then it wouldnt be a main entry.

They just released Pokken for people who wanted a "real time pokemon game that looked like the anime". Just compare the sales and reviews of that with the turn based games.

You can't compare those to in terms of sales since one is billed as main entry the other is not. That is a disingenuous comparison.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Use only Gen 1 pokemon, rethink the entire game system. Tradition and innovation.
but-why.gif

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
All of my guesses that may be plausible in the next Pokemon Switch:
  • Story will be in a completely new region, probably Australia, as that is the region where none of their predecessors were referencing to, while also being a really great region to look at. Australian Outback, anyone?
  • We don't have a kangaroo Pokémon yet.
  • New Zealand may be involved to be where Pokemon Elite Four is at.
  • Story may include plots of the adventures of Looker and the Interpol investigation.
  • Perhaps a story plot revolving around how a person is taking control of the Ultra Beasts via science and technogies?
  • Due to the complexity of introducing competitive and casual gameplay, as well as meta-gameplay, a long tutorial is inevitable. I do not see how it is possible to teach a 8 years old kid to play with such complex mechanic, such as EV training, berry power-ups (Pokécubes?), breeding and egg groups, etc.
  • I'm 50% inclining to believe Game Freak may have heard of the criticism of having a long tutorial, and will split the tutorial up into optional chunks that players can choose what to play.
  • Movement is 360 degrees, thanks to Gen 7 laying down the basics.
  • Land is probably restrictive, with hills and cliffs you can't walk over /jump on, like Gen 7.
  • There is no immersive transitions between Overworld and Indoors. It will just be a fade-to-black type of transition.
  • The typical regions includes Mountains, Snowy Mountains, Desert, Grassy Plains, Swamp, Forest, Safari Parks, Caves/Cavern, and Urban cities.
  • Less of an Altar, more like a Legendary Pokémon overseeing the region, I suppose.
  • It's going to start out with the protagonist getting old enough to get their first Pokémon, with a rival. I don't know if Game Freak is going to revisit gender-based rivalry (If you're male, your rival is female, and vice versa).
  • For Gyms, it's going to be something along the lines of, "What would happen if a region decides to remove Pokémon Leagues?". I'm pretty sure they would have these discussions while in their meeting rooms.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Again, we still need the definitive version of the current gameplay.

Seamless transitions.
Zero loading times.
Faster than BW battles.
No more black or white screens between menus.
Better animations, including custom touches like Blastoise using cannons.
Correct Pokemon sizes.
Z Moves backgrounds actually matching the battleground.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

Seamless transitions.
Zero loading times.
Faster than BW battles.
Correct Pokemon sizes.

None of those is happening. :(

El Sabroso

Oct 25, 2017
Monterrey, MX
I want them to bring back triple and rotation battles, those are fun to have once in a while casually, and also in the scenario that newer versions get in the same generation introducing new forms, hope they can add the ability to update new species to the games, it was awful that XY couldn't add the newer forms/MegaEvolutions introduced in ORAS

None of those is happening. :(

come on, correct sizes is not so unreal, it happened in Coliseum and XD

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Then I agree man it's time for a big change. And this new game is the time to do it.
A different game would be the time to experience a change. It is not like Pokemon is the only game we can purchase. There are other games out there. If we want to play a game with different game-play elements, then play a different game.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A different game would be the time to experience a change. It is not like Pokemon is the only game we can purchase. There are other games out there. If we want to play a game with different game-play elements, then play a different game.
Or we can play a Pokemon game that is something we never played before. That reinvents himself for a new console generation.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Or we can play a Pokemon game that is something we never played before. That reinvents himself for a new console generation.

If people want Pokemon to be a completely different game, why should it still be pokemon main entry?
They have a game constantly selling around 10 million with every main entry.
They constantly release spin offs for people who dont care about gameplay and only care about the designs: Pokken, Mistery dungeon, Conquest, Snap, Puzzle League, Go, PokePark, Art Academy, Dash, Rumble,etc...

Now people want a Pokemon game that doesnt play like the main pokemon games (another one to the long list of spin offs) but they want it to be a main entry that replaces the JRPGs that have been carrying Nintendo portables for 25 years.

MetalLord

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Though to me, it never felt like Game Freak got comfortable with developing for the 3DS. The thing that confuses me the most is that they used Pokemon models that were much higher quality than needed, which is pushing the limits, but in a completely unnecessary way.
Its because the models weren't their

Oct 25, 2017

Seamless transitions.
Zero loading times.
Faster than BW battles.
Correct Pokemon sizes.
Is It bad that I don't even see these happening

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I got a Switch a week ago and while playing Zelda I've thought to myself numerous times how fun a Pokémon with this hardware could be. A Nintendo-quality open world with wild Pokémon roaming the fields.... the potential of the Pokémon IP in a AAA console release is almost unfathomable.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
In a perfect world where they can have all the $$$ they need and take all the time they wan't I'd love them to just start again with a lot of the mechanics of the game.
I'd love a battle system in the shape of Ni No Kuni where you have the 3D take with a 2D art style, but can revolve the camera etc. All the Pokemon would be funny animated - pretty much impossible to do at this point unless they just start with the first 251 Pokemon or so, hence my initial statement. But it would be glorious. Failing this a ATB battle system like FFX-2 would be pretty nice.

I'd also love an open world style of game a bit like BoTW where you can go where you want when you want and tackle things in what ever order, so you dont have to complete the gyms in a particular order.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
People want it to be BotW but with Pokémon, but what we'll no doubt get is just another Pokémon game with some more added bullshit that detracts from the main game and slightly prettier graphics. I'd love to be proven wrong, but GameFreak rarely impresses.

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
I think given the fatigue people have with the conventions of Pokemon and the shiny new hardware, I'd want them to go crazy ambitious with this one. Though I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that I'll take a totally safe, unchanged addition to the series too. I guess if there's a time to innovate, it's now.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil

Why expect any change for a game? I just hope my favorite franchises never change and just release the same game all the time.

What a silly post.

Oct 25, 2017
My only thing is, don't ask for Pokemon Breath of the Wild and expect this game in 2018, or early 2019 for that matter.

With that said, I do want more freedom in the world. I feel like people are always going to criticize the battle system as long as it's turn based, despite the changes they've made in the past 20 years, so work on presentation these. Seamless transitions would go a long way there.

Personally, my wishlist would be, minimal story, additional side quests, world traversal that allows me to go in different directions (doesn't have to be ANY city in ANY order, I want options or branching paths), improve the presentation (seamless transitions to battle, even though I do like the trainer art) and the return of PSS.

A reworking of the EV, IV, nature system.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
How is it silly, exactly? What's silly about not wanting one of your favorite series to change genres for little to no reason?

Who said anything about changing genres? Neither the post I quoted nor the post it quotes said anything about changing genres.

I feel it's silly to say that Pokemon doesn't need to change and innovate anything ever because other games can do that.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Who said anything about changing genres? Neither the post I quoted nor the post it quotes said anything about changing genres.

I feel it's silly to say that Pokemon doesn't need to change and innovate anything ever because other games can do that.

"If we want to play a game with different game-play elements"
Changing genres was clearly what the post you quoted was arguing against.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
"If we want to play a game with different game-play elements"
Changing genres was clearly what the post you quoted was arguing against.

New gameplay elements could mean stuff like Pokemon on the overworld intead of random encounters, stealth attacks to begin battle with an advantage like in Persona 5, field moves to interact more with the overworld that don't take move slots, it can mean literally anything. I didn't take it as changing genres but I can see how you can see it that way.

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
One of the reasons I play Nintendo games is because they respect the player and don't like handholding... I don't understand why Pokemon has to break this trend so significantly by forcing us to play through boring and long tutorials. Get rid of that nonsense right now.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Massive open world BotW movement and control
- Fully custom trainer, that levels up and gets better and learns new skills as you play.
- Completely open from the start go anywhere you want.
- Hidden Gyms around the world some you might have to climb a mountain to find, or go under ground or swim to a nearby hidden island.
- Pokemon seen in the world, with more ways to interact with them other then just battling them.
- Play how you want, if you don't even want to catch Pokemon and just want to be a Photographer, cool go for it.

Dangers
- Many ways for you as a trainer to get K.Oed. Want a sense of danger as I play. You would reawaken at the nearest Pokecenter after passing out.
Tried to take a Kakuna from a tree but got caught by a bunch of Beedrill? Couldn't run/dive into water/fight them off? That's a K.O.
Fell off a high cliff? That's a K.O
Weren't paying attention in some plains, and a stampede of Tauros ran through you, and you didn't get out of the way? That's a K.O
Just want a huge sense of adventure and discovery as I play.

Pokemon Interactions
- Sure you could just engage them like you normally would. Throw out your Pokemon and just fight them.
- Pokemon would have temperaments, and depending on what they were would engage you differently.
If a Pokemon was friendly, you could crouch and sneak up on them, and try and feed them. They could end up loving that and let you just throw a ball and instant catch them.
A Pokemon could be scared, if you came up to it, it might try to flee or attack you. Sneaking up on a scared Vileplume might cause it to use stun spore on you K.Oing you.

Getting around the world
- Everything from bike riding,climbing, swimming and flying.
- Using Pokemon abilities to get around land based obstacles. Using cut to cut down a tree so it falls creating a bridge over a large gap ect.
- Any Pokemon could be ridden as long as they have the right moves. If your Rhydon has surf screw it let me ride him in the water.

Last edited:

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
New gameplay elements could mean stuff like Pokemon on the overworld intead of random encounters, stealth attacks to begin battle with an advantage like in Persona 5, field moves to interact more with the overworld that don't take move slots, it can mean literally anything. I didn't take it as changing genres but I can see how you can see it that way.
The way people in this thread are responding is they want Pokemon-Breath of the Wild Edition or Pokemon-Skyrim Edition, or Porkemon-other game edition. What is the point of wanting a different game with a Pokemon skin, when they can just play that other game? I think a lot of gamers need to take a step back and understand that Breath of the Wild is not going to set the bar for every other game released, especially Pokemon. The only game that needs to approach Breath of the Wild is Breath of the Wild 2.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
One of the reasons I play Nintendo games is because they respect the player and don't like handholding... I don't understand why Pokemon has to break this trend so significantly by forcing us to play through boring and long tutorials. Get rid of that nonsense right now.
Because it's not made by Nintendo.

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
Innovation. We have like 20 games with the same formula. It's time for something new.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
You're right, but Nintendo must have some influence over the creative process, right? They do own 1/3 of the IP after all - I might be completely wrong in assuming this, however.
Nope. Game Freak decides everything. Actually they have talked on interviews how they sometimes make decisions that Nintendo wouldn't like but in the end convince them.

For example Nintendo pushed devs for the stylus on the DS but GF didn't think children would use it and instead decided to design the UI to use the finger.

Also on 3DS Nintendo wanted everyone to use the 3D, but GF decided to instead use the extra power for rendering and disable 3D most of the time.

Last edited:

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I try so hard to emotionally divest myself from discussions like this. The eventual reveal of a marginally more open game with the same overhead perspective and battle system is going to break my heart.

I used to say that about Zelda to an extent but Pokémon is a far, far more conservative property in terms of big picture design.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I suppose that would be quite the dilemma...if it existed.

Why exactly do Game Freak have to choose between tradition or innovation? Both are possible in a single work - and that's probably what they're going to do. They'll keep what works about the franchise, and they'll also change up some other things. Like...you know, what they've always done with the franchise. So long as the mainline games continue to make approximately all the money, they're going to continue with that approach.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
I try so hard to emotionally divest myself from discussions like this. The eventual reveal of a marginally more open game with the same overhead perspective and battle system is going to break my heart.

I used to say that about Zelda to an extent but Pokémon is a far, far more conservative property in terms of big picture design.

That's the danger of Pokemon discussions. Your imagination might quickly outpace what is reasonable if you don't keep it in check.

Oct 26, 2017
Since Game Freak confirmed they were working on the new, mainline Pokémon game for the switch, I've been thinking about what exactly they would want to do with it. The switch its a powerful console that you can take on the Go, and that has all the capabilities the Pokémon team have been championing for years, such as been able to play with anyone, anywhere and taking the fun with you.

So we know its going to be a Pokémon game, but how much are they going to mess with the formula? Would they go all out and completely revamp the battle system?

I feel like the game would sell millions regardless, but I think they should stick to the tried and true battle system. Turn based combat makes the games really accessible for all kinds of players and making changes to it, like making it more dynamic or action heavy would put off a lot of potential buyers.

Then again, innovation is important to keep a series to get stale, and it worked for Zelda. It seems gamers are in love with open world, and Pokémon has been needing to get ambitious and large scale for a while now.

Should they stick to the RPG 4 move format or try something new with the battle system?

The thing about innovation isn't really the battle system, it's the game as a whole. The 8-gym structure (despite what someone will tell me about SuMo, Trials are basically gyms with a new coat of paint as the premise is still the same), the way exploration works (or lack thereof considering how dumbed down it has been since Gen V), as well as the story (personal preference, but Gen V was when the story peaked for me. Nothing really reached that same level for me) all have become quite stale and should be revamped to fit the new mindset. That's why it worked well for Zelda, because it moved past how they did exploration and dungeons in the older games.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Innovation, and drastic innovation at that. I came back for pokemon X and was stunned it was still the same damn game again but easier than ever. I really don't get why people keep going back for more of the same for around 20 years now.

Rozart

Oct 28, 2017
I'm torn on this one. Pokemon is one of the few games where the basic formula of the game is so timeless that it still works— even decades later with little change. But I can see how people would find it stale. Especially after the witnessing a major Zelda overhaul that blew everyone's expectations wide open.

Honesty, I just want a Pokemon game with an actual engaging story. With a cast of characters that are memorable and fully realised— each with their own sets of fleshed out motivations. The last time I got something close to that was in Pokemon Black/White.

Also, turn-based combat can still be reworked to make it more engaging (see: P5). An open-world BotW style Pokémon game does sound incredible though...

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
There's plenty of room for improvement in the games without touching the battle system. Throwing away a beloved battle system that's been iterated on over decades just for the sake of having something new would be a terrible mistake.

Other monster collection games provide a lot of things that can be adapted, like Monster Hunter Stories and Yo-kai Watch. MHS' overworld would work quite well in the Pokemon series, with open spaces filled with monsters actually roaming around. Touching the monsters triggers a transition to a turn-based battle, and depending on your positioning when you make contact you could be put at an advantage or disadvantage. You can have a monster accompany you in the overworld, and can ride them to make use of their special abilities like smashing rocks in your way or swimming across water. That would be a great way to expand upon the PokeRide system and combine it with the 'Pokemon follower' feature that people have requested to return for ages. If they need to restrict these abilities for progression reasons then you could have to earn licenses to use them so you can't go further than they want you to.

Yo-kai Watch games have plenty of sidequests that add a lot of flavour to the world and give a purpose to monsters that you may not have caught or used otherwise. GameFreak started experimenting with this kind of thing in Gen 7 but the implementation was really lacking. The biggest reason for this was that there's no way to track which sidequests you've started and where you need to turn them in. In SM the sidequests were quite dull, too, merely asking you to show a specific Pokemon to a person to make them happy. I haven't played US/UM but it sounds like the new ones they added are much better.

On top of all this, I'd like them to find a better balance between agency and story. Gen 7 was way too heavy handed with its railroading and it was really easy on top of that. Implement a hard mode that minimises tutorials and requires you to be more strategic. Definitely no endgame teams with empty spaces. I'd like them to mix the structure up some more, too. Trials felt fresh but they were really just a reskinning of Gyms, I'd like to see them try doing something radically different.

And my head's going to explode if I see another request to go back to just the original 151.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
This thread is checking all the boxes.

- Pokemon BotW - check
- Only the original 151 - check
- Gamefreak are lazy - check
- Kanto sequel - check
- Change the battle system - check

What some of you want isn't Pokemon at all, and it's not what your gonna get.
What you are gonna get is a great Pokemon game with a few innovations similar to Z-moves and regional variants, 60 - 150 new Pokemon, the 3D models truly visualized for a awesome artsyle, and some kick ass music.

Not every game has to chuck everything it has established out of the window, especially one with a system as complex, deep, and refined as Pokemon.

No, it's not gonna be Pokemon BotW. Pokemon isn't like Zelda in the slightest. They're two different beasts.
No, it's not gonna be just the original 151. They're not getting rid of 6 (infinitely better designed) generations worth of people favourites to pander to an audience who hasn't even played the damn series in 20 years.
No, Gamefreak aren't lazy. The games are constantly pushing the hardware, churning out great visuals, compelling battles, and fantastic music. Just because it doesn't have the battle frontier doesn't make it automatically lazy.
It might be a Kanto sequel. They baited it with Lily at the end of Sun and Moon, but I'd rather they didn't, and I don't think they will. A new generation calls for a new region to start it off with.
No, they won't change the battle system. Its been refined through 20 years. There's massive competitions because of it. Its the core game play of the series. Its easy to understand yet hard to master.

Some of these comments can really be likened to "Mario always jumps, Nintendo is lazy. Give us something new"

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People wanting botw Pokemon need to realize what an immense effort that would take. You okay waiting four or five years without Pokemon?

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
Pokemon Gin and Tonic

- Open World
- Complete gyms in any order
- All regions available
- All Pokemon available
- No HM's
- Gyms not type specific
- Any well-trained Pokemon should beat any other on a good day