• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019

Just watched this video and now I'm considering starting the manga - although I'm a little apprehensive. I don't want to be in a situation where it's people who snort pokedust and think Ash is gonna win in the next tournament telling me to read the manga - so I'm wondering if anyone on ERA has checked it out? What are your thoughts?

812cCnX1BAL.jpg

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's really good...up until Sinnoh I'd say.

I think it gets too bogged down in linking everything together to try and be clever so a lot of plots don't get room to breathe.

I think the end of the GS Arc is really lame with a laughable villain, and RS ends with a weird Deus Ex Machina and also what I would say is some weird sexism.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
It's pretty great, at least until after Sinnoh when the games started coming out to close to each other that the mangaka didn't have enough to time to properly build the story. Then its just good.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Unlike Birdie and RochHoch, I think the Diamond & Pearl arc is my favorite alongside X & Y. Adventures consistently does pretty clever things with relatively obscure aspects of the Pokémon world while also adhering a bit more to the logic established by the games in comparison to the anime. That's not to say it doesn't do its own thing sometimes (especially early on), but for people that have been following the manga, it's clear the author and illustrator really care about what happens to both human and Pokémon characters throughout. It balances between them very well, with everyone having a distinct and (usually) likeable personality.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Never played any of the Pokémon games. This a good way to get a feel for the world/get the games story? Planning to get Sword/Shield and wondering if this is a good way to familiarize myself with the lore/story and the hundreds of Pokémon.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I have not read it yet but a friend highly recommended it and said it was fantastic.

Never played any of the Pokémon games. This a good way to get a feel for the world/get the games story? Planning to get Sword/Shield and wondering if this is a good way to familiarize myself with the lore/story and the hundreds of Pokémon.

Absolutely from what my friend told me.

I have played Pokemon but have been out of the loop for 10 years, that's why he recommended this.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
It's great, shame it might be awhile before we get an anime adaptation of Pokemon Adventures or never

Dec 31, 2018
I love it. Yellow and Gold/Silver are my favorite, but honestly I don't think Black and White are bad. They're kind of separate from the storyline like in the real Black white games. Definitely recommend. They're pretty quick reads too.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I read through the Yellow arc, but kinda stopped at Gold/Silver. I loved how different the take was on the games. I think by GS it started to get a lot closer to the games and I just lost interest.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No I enjoy Sinnoh...

I think it was after Platinum and HGSS where they sort of lose the plot because...as stated...the manga has to work in so many games.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me personally, it's the best thing to come out of the Pokemon IP. I read up to Ruby/ Sapphire. It's everything that pokemon should be. I'm still shocked we havent got an anime of it and even more shocked they continue to spend money on the current one.

Dec 31, 2018
No I enjoy Sinnoh...

I think it was after Platinum and HGSS where they sort of lose the plot because...as stated...the manga has to work in so many games.
Wasn't platinum just the Diamond and Pearl arc? Like for ruby and sapphire they had another series called emerald, but they just groupd diamond, pearl and platinum together and it got kind of weird? HGSS was bad tho. I think Black and White was okay, but XY just annoyed the he*k out of me.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
It's really good...up until Sinnoh I'd say.

I think it gets too bogged down in linking everything together to try and be clever so a lot of plots don't get room to breathe.

I think the end of the GS Arc is really lame with a laughable villain, and RS ends with a weird Deus Ex Machina and also what I would say is some weird sexism.
Uh, DPPT is the start of them becoming more separated from the other stories. Bogged down?

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For me personally, it's the best thing to come out of the Pokemon IP. I read up to Ruby/ Sapphire. It's everything that pokemon should be. I'm still shocked we havent got an anime of it and even more shocked they continue to spend money on the current one.
The current season looks really nice for a weekly produced show tbh

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The art's pretty great too. Each arc after Satoshi Yamamoto takes over has a different art style, as he doesn't like doing the same thing twice.
unknown.png

wp_pokespenjoy_sp01.jpg

unknown.png

unknown.png

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
You know, I was about to make a, "It's weirdly sexual" comment, until I remembered the original lyrics for the pokemon anime intro and was like...

I guess it's all weirdly sexual, not just this.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
It's the best Pokemon related thing these days including the games. I stopped reading it awhile back but I know it's all worth reading through at least Gold / Silver. Gets a little fuzzy after that. I actually just picked up more volumes of it the other month planning to get back into it. Great, great series.

Also, haven't seriously watched the anime since Indigo League, have played every Pokemon game but rarely complete them, still consider myself a Poke fan.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No I enjoy Sinnoh...

I don't think the volume versions have even properly finished for B2W2 though. It's worth noting english releases for newer series are based on the magazine releases which omit a bunch of material so they can cover the newest stuff, which then gets filled in in the japanese volumes

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy'd it up till Sinnoh. RS is easily the best in the series in my mind but it's pretty good overall if your looking for a long form series with progression.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I couldn't continue after the total cop out ending that was Ruby and Sapphire, and I'm not sure I care for the approach they took with the XY characters. I'm not a fan personally.

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. This is like the author got all the information about the characters, world, lore, etc. of the original Pokemon Red and Green, and then went with a completely different tone. This is its own beast, and it's all the better for it.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Any weaknesses in the DPPT chapters can be forgiven for having arguably the best set of protagonists in the series to date (I'm still partial to Ruby and Sapphire myself but it's close).

It's not perfect but it's a very interesting series to follow, especially over a long period of time as more games and thus more stories are released and fleshed out.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Charmeleon chopped an Arbok in half.
And how like every Kanto Gym Leader was secretly Team Rocket.

I don't like this series.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
I own the first couple volumes and it's legitimately good.

Never read the English translations though, I only read the manga in Japanese

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Only read up to Hoenn and IT WAS AMAZING!!!! I would love for Nintendo to make a game on the manga version!

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Unlike Birdie and RochHoch, I think the Diamond & Pearl arc is my favorite alongside X & Y. Adventures consistently does pretty clever things with relatively obscure aspects of the Pokémon world while also adhering a bit more to the logic established by the games in comparison to the anime. That's not to say it doesn't do its own thing sometimes (especially early on), but for people that have been following the manga, it's clear the author and illustrator really care about what happens to both human and Pokémon characters throughout. It balances between them very well, with everyone having a distinct and (usually) likeable personality.
I actually do really like Diamond and Pearl. Black and White is when things get less good imo, but its still a solid series. I just wish that the story had more time to breath after D&P.

I actually haven't read much of X&Y, I should get on that.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
They're probably the best little kid manga ever and the best promotional manga ever.

Ballpoint Ren

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Gosh, I remember reading Pokemon Adventures back in the day. Still got this version of (what I think might be) the first localization

51VGTFWK1JL.jpg

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I love it.

Absolutely. And if you want, watch Pokemon Origins. It's a 4 episodes adaptation of Red/Blue to anime

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
It's very good on its own merits.

But for an adaptation of a game it's great.

(disclaimer: I've only read through gen 2)