• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017

Interesting take from Takashi Mochizuki. As he mentions people familiar with Nintendo's plans admit the company isn't interested in making a lot of money from a single mobile game.

The Pokémon Company seems a lot more aggresive in the mobile market, with Pokémon GO and very soon Pokémon Masters, mobile games are already TPC's primary source of profit.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
nintendo still likes to be fun and creative while trying to make a few bucks
but pokemon is at the point where they're like yeah another billion dollars would be preeetttty coooool

grand

Oct 25, 2017
No duh? Pokemon company was on mobile way before Nintendo. And Nintendo is way more interested in selling their console than promoting mobile games.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Nintendo only views mobile games as advertising tools. TPCi views them as actual revenue sources.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon has had a ton of apps on mobile with majority of them failures. Pokemon Go was their first ever success at all.

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
The Pokemon Company is more greedy than Nintendo, we already know that. Nintendo want to push console software through mobile games, not just make revenue. The Pokemon company don't need that and has it covered with Pokemon Go success.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Pokémon company places more value in chasing money than the rest of Nintendo?

Shocked Pikachu.jpg

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Nintendo still has the platform holder DNA in them.

they'd rather put their actual effort into games that make their hardware sell.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Nintendo really don't want..dragalia lost is still not available in Europe ( like France etc..)

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Pokemon has had a ton of apps on mobile with majority of them failures. Pokemon Go was their first ever success at all.
I imagine Pokemon Shuffle was probably a success for what it was. It was never going to last forever, but surely it was cheap enough to upkeep that they made profits off it for as long as they kept at it.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The irony of this is that the gacha in Mario Kart Tour is far more exploitative and necessary than Pokémon Masters which is 100% completeable without spending money, gives lots of free gems and doesn't have anything to really encourage spending other than "I want my <InsertCharacter>.

I question where this statement came from

mobile games are already TPC's primary source of profit.
Not even close. Did you know, outside of GO, mobile games haven't even made $60m as of January 2019. GO makes the same revenue per year as a main series game, but with more hands in the pot.

Merchandise has been and always will be the main profit driver.

Deleted member 55822

Banned
Apr 10, 2019

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Masters is this week. Going to be interesting how the full game differs from the soft launch.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
List of mobile ventures by The Pokémon Company and The Pokémon Company International

The Pokémon Company

Pokémon Say Tap?
- A rhythm game to the Pokémon Black & White Japanese PokéRap - July 2011 - DEAD
Pokédex for iOS
- A Pokédex for Generation 5 games available on mobile. Monetised through packs - November 2012 - DEAD
Pokémon Daisuki Club App
- A news portal for all Pokémon news from the fan club - February 2015 - DEAD
Pokémon Style App -
A portal for you to purchase various styles for your phone - February 2015 - DEAD
Learn Real English With Pokemon: Bilingual XY Scope
- An app to teach kids English using Pokémon - April 2015 - DEAD
Pokémon Jukebox -
A mobile portal for Pokémon music purchasing and listening - May 2015 - DEAD
Dance? Pokémon Band!
- A Pokémon rhythm game - June 2015 - DEAD
Pokémon Shuffle Mobile
- A match 3 puzzle title - October 2015 - DEAD but playable. Supported for two and a half years. No new updates anymore
Pokémon Duel -
A strategy game based on the Trading Figure Game - April 2016 - DEAD as of October 31st
Pokémon GO -
An augmented reality game where you catch Pokémon - July 2016 - ALIVE. Frequent updates
Pokémon Magikarp Jump -
A game to raise Magikarp and win a championship - April 2017 - DEAD but still playable. No new updates anymore
Pokémon Quest
- A game by GAME FREAK to allow for collection of Pokémon and auto-played levels - June 2018 - DEAD but playable. No new updates
Pokémon Rumble Rush
- A mobile game where you play as toy Pokémon going through various levels - June 2019 - ALIVE
Pokémon Masters - A gacha style game where you collect Trainers and battle through a league - July 2019 - ALIVE

The Pokémon Company International

Pokémon TV
- A web portal to watch anime (Free) - ALIVE
Pokémon TCG Online -
A TCG game monetised through booster packs of real life cards (Free) - July 2014 - VERY ALIVE
Camp Pokémon -
A minigame collection for kids - October 2014 - DEAD but downloadable
Pokémon Photo Booth
- An image filter app - February 2016 - DEAD
Pokémon Playhouse
- A kid's edutainment game (Free) - September 2017 - DEAD but downloadable. No new updates
Pokémon Trading Card Game Card Dex
- An app to save your collection of cards - April 2019 - ALIVE
Pokémon PASS -
An app designed around getting codes for main game distributions - May 2019 - ALIVE

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Of course. It's visible in the mainline games too. They care more about pumping out lackluster games every year instead of actually creating something new and special. The fact that they are willing to exploit gacha game mechanics more than nintendo wouldn't be suprising to me.

It's their greed that makes their games suck.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Not exactly news - 99% of companies are willing to make more money on mobile than Nintendo.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Mobile success won't necessarily have a negative impact on the Nintendo games. If anything you would hope that the massive increase in profits would lead to more investment in teams and making a bigger and better core gaming experience.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So TPC cares more about money than artistic integrity?
Sounds about right.
No.

Again, this statement is weird considering how lax Masters is with microtransactions and how little Pokémon actually makes in mobile. Again, their main mobile titles outside of GO hadn't made a combined total of $60 million by the start of the year

Of course. It's visible in the mainline games too. They care more about pumping out lackluster games every year instead of actually creating something new and special. The fact that they are willing to exploit gacha game mechanics more than nintendo wouldn't be suprising to me.

It's their greed that makes their games suck.
Yeah no.

I mean the perceived drop of quality (which is subjective and I will argue against continually) has nothing to do with this statement?

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Not even close. Did you know, outside of GO, mobile games haven't even made $60m as of January 2019. GO makes the same revenue per year as a main series game, but with more hands in the pot.

Merchandise has been and always will be the main profit driver.
"Outside of GO".

GO, a mobile game, is their biggest revenue source.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
"Outside of GO".

GO, a mobile game, is their biggest revenue source.
No it isn't.

GO makes in revenue around the same amount in a year that the main series games do at around $800m a year. If we take Let's Go's sales alone (10.91 million) and assume a $60 pricepoint, Let's Go has generated $654.6m as of June 2019

From that, it is sliced by 30% for the Apple/Google cut, so 70% of that is then passed down to Niantic, TPC, Game Freak and Nintendo. We also have to factor in continual development costs etc. before even going into profit

The bulk comes from merchandising, the main games and more.

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
No it isn't.

GO makes in revenue around the same amount in a year that the main series games do at around $800m a year. If we take Let's Go's sales alone (10.91 million) and assume a $60 pricepoint, Let's Go has generated $654.6m as of June 2019

From that, it is sliced by 30% for the Apple/Google cut, so 70% of that is then passed down to Niantic, TPC, Game Freak and Nintendo. We also have to factor in continual development costs etc. before even going into profit

The bulk comes from merchandising, the main games and more.
I'm talking specifically about profits for TPC. Main game sales haven't changed in the last years, merchandise also hasn't changed much. GO is the only factor that has massively affected their profit.

ferroseed168

Aug 8, 2018
images

(On a serious note, this is no surprise at all)

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'm talking specifically about profits for TPC. Main game sales haven't changed in the last years, merchandise also hasn't changed much. GO is the only factor that has massively affected their profit.

Yes and no.

GO brought Pokémon back into the forefront and due to that merch has never been so plentiful and sold as much. New lines of merch in all stores including Primark, Hot Topic etc. are huge sellers and didn't exist before GO brought Pokémon back to the mainstream

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
No.

Again, this statement is weird considering how lax Masters is with microtransactions and how little Pokémon actually makes in mobile. Again, their main mobile titles outside of GO hadn't made a combined total of $60 million by the start of the year

Yeah no.

I mean the perceived drop of quality (which is subjective and I will argue against continually) has nothing to do with this statement?
The percieved lack of quality and their willingness to exploit gacha mechanics have the same root cause. Greed.

Now that's a staple for all companies, but at least some still manage to not pump out a lackluster game every year. Like Nintendo in this case.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, its why they are fine making the deveopment descions they have made as of late. Unless everyone stops buying their games, they have other revenue streams in film, tv, toys, tgc and now the godking mobile gatcha, they will be fine. They have good reason to not give a shit about folks gripes with the new pokemon

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Some people are so predictable with their trash takes...

It's even more funny when Nintendo owns 33% of TPCi and we have just had 2 threads on Nintendo being greedy charging $60 for remakes, remasters and games with a lack of content.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon is going third party the next one will
Pokemon X box / Pokemon P S5 *
Pokemon Steam / Pokemon Epic Games Store **

* Cross Play not available
** Has conflicting fans

/S

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
yeah, its why they are fine making the deveopment descions they have made as of late. Unless everyone stops buying their games, they have other revenue streams in film, tv, toys, tgc and now the godking mobile gatcha, they will be fine. They have good reason to not give a shit about folks gripes with the new pokemon
Seriously, do people not actually research how things actually are before complaining about how things are

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Pokédex for iOS - A Pokédex for Generation 5 games available on mobile. Monetised through packs - November 2012 - DEAD
Not gonna lie, this one being dead legit annoys me. I was never a fan of the 3rd party ones that popped up in its place. Granted, it's been a while since I checked. But still, it's weird to me that they gave up so quickly on official Dex apps.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Not gonna lie, this one being dead legit annoys me. I was never a fan of the 3rd party ones that popped up in its place. Granted, it's been a while since I checked. But still, it's weird to me that they gave up so quickly on official Dex apps.
I mean a certain very popular site recently went mobile friendly with its Pokédex...

:P

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Yeah TPC is more willing to exploit the hell out of an idea which makes me kind of nervous for Pokemon Masters.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I would play the shot out of a full fledged and featured pokemon mobile game but all we get is Go and Masters

Till that attitude changes im not interested. Hell im barely interested in these past few generations of mainline games

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Well you can see it with the mobile strategy Nintendo had until now. They aren't really that aggressive in monetisation are they seem to not like addicts and such. They want a broad base to pay a few bucks. I think its very commendable but ultimately the free to play market is very dependent on addicts. Its not really a very profitable market otherwise.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
List of mobile ventures by The Pokémon Company and The Pokémon Company International

The Pokémon Company

Pokémon Say Tap?
- A rhythm game to the Pokémon Black & White Japanese PokéRap - July 2011 - DEAD
Pokédex for iOS
- A Pokédex for Generation 5 games available on mobile. Monetised through packs - November 2012 - DEAD
Pokémon Daisuki Club App
- A news portal for all Pokémon news from the fan club - February 2015 - DEAD
Pokémon Style App -
A portal for you to purchase various styles for your phone - February 2015 - DEAD
Learn Real English With Pokemon: Bilingual XY Scope
- An app to teach kids English using Pokémon - April 2015 - DEAD
Pokémon Jukebox -
A mobile portal for Pokémon music purchasing and listening - May 2015 - DEAD
Dance? Pokémon Band!
- A Pokémon rhythm game - June 2015 - DEAD
Pokémon Shuffle Mobile
- A match 3 puzzle title - October 2015 - DEAD but playable. Supported for two and a half years. No new updates anymore
Pokémon Duel -
A strategy game based on the Trading Figure Game - April 2016 - DEAD as of October 31st
Pokémon GO -
An augmented reality game where you catch Pokémon - July 2016 - ALIVE. Frequent updates
Pokémon Magikarp Jump -
A game to raise Magikarp and win a championship - April 2017 - DEAD but still playable. No new updates anymore
Pokémon Quest
- A game by GAME FREAK to allow for collection of Pokémon and auto-played levels - June 2018 - DEAD but playable. No new updates
Pokémon Rumble Rush
- A mobile game where you play as toy Pokémon going through various levels - June 2019 - ALIVE
Pokémon Masters - A gacha style game where you collect Trainers and battle through a league - July 2019 - ALIVE

The Pokémon Company International

Pokémon TV
- A web portal to watch anime (Free) - ALIVE
Pokémon TCG Online -
A TCG game monetised through booster packs of real life cards (Free) - July 2014 - VERY ALIVE
Camp Pokémon -
A minigame collection for kids - October 2014 - DEAD but downloadable
Pokémon Photo Booth
- An image filter app - February 2016 - DEAD
Pokémon Playhouse
- A kid's edutainment game (Free) - September 2017 - DEAD but downloadable. No new updates
Pokémon Trading Card Game Card Dex
- An app to save your collection of cards - April 2019 - ALIVE
Pokémon PASS -
An app designed around getting codes for main game distributions - May 2019 - ALIVE

Yeah, some people have the misconception that Pokemon on mobile = big success when there have been several shut down games. Masters it's looking like one of the biggest ones and with potential to be on the level of FEH if not even more. At first glance the thing that has against that it's the fact that the rates look quite generous for the max rarity. Depending of the game modes and what the game offers some people might whale for 5 copies of the sync pair to max it's signature move (forgot what it's called).

On another note I don't see how people think that Nintendo is less aggresive with their business systems on mobile when you have Mario Kart gacha, Animal Crossing Pocket Camp that added lootboxes, Dr. Mario with Candy Crush model, among other things. It's just that they have been incompetent to run them, how did Animal Crossing ended up doing far less money than FIre Emblem is beyond me.