• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys! It's Buttzerker here. As many of y'all know, and were awesomely supportive about, I found an infant rodent last week I tried to keep alive, as chronicled here:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/i-...e-despite-best-efforts-now-passed-away.68397/

Sadly, as the title says, the poor guy died the other night. In tribute to him, and on the realization I wanted to do something in the spirit of taking care of Powerhouse, I decided to start adopting rodents with my roommate.

I'm happy to say that today, while both stores we went to were out of feeder rats to rescue, we did find three beautiful mice. So without further ado, I introduce:

THE POWERHOUSE TRIBUTE BAND

20180922_141333.jpg

Featuring!

Powermouse [the brown one] on vocals!
Flow [the white one] on lead guitar!
Run the Jewels [the dual colored one] on drums and backup vocals!

Thanks a ton to everyone who encouraged me to adopt when Powerhouse passed away, and I'm gonna be livestreaming these guys as soon as I get them set up!

PS: I immediately had to move them to an aquarium temporarily while we shop for a cage with smaller bars. They were able to squirm right through this one, but it's not a big deal because we're gonna keep the cage for some bigger rats we'll get later. :)

Livestream!

Last edited:

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I've got the biggest smile on my face OP. I'm so happy you've turned this experience into something so fabulous. Subscribed!

DJMicLuv

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Great work. I'm a long time rat keeper and rodent fan and what you did for Powerhouse was beautiful to see. You're in trouble now though - they're going to be mad little buggers but you'll love them for it. I haven't had a rat since my last pal Lily died earlier this year but I'm really missing having one. They can be funny, surprising, strong, loving, feisty, energetic and thoroughly lovable. This might be the start of a life-long love affair with rodents, I really hope you enjoy it.

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great work. I'm a long time rat keeper and rodent fan and what you did for Powerhouse was beautiful to see. You're in trouble now though - they're going to be mad little buggers but you'll love them for it. I haven't had a rat since my last pal Lily died earlier this year but I'm really missing having one. They can be funny, surprising, strong, loving, feisty, energetic and thoroughly lovable. This might be the start of a life-long love affair with rodents, I really hope you enjoy it.

Any recommendations on mouse cages? Is a mesh-lidded aquarium actually fine? I know for rats the smell can build up a bit too fast/it's a bit small, but how about for mice?

Sorry, just literally struggling to find mice cages that they can't squeeze through.

And yes! I'm loving them.

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Early impressions:

Flow is a huge asshole and keeps trying to bully the others. Likes being petted, not okay with being picked up yet

Powermouse is very shy, but crazy acrobatic. The best climber by far, not okay with being petted or picked up.

RTJ is super chill and loves being held already.

Powermouse and RTJ are very close friends it seems, too. Maybe Flow's jealous? He seems to be improving though.

snail_maze

Oct 27, 2017
If you get them a wheel for running in make sure that it is solid so they cant get tripped up in the spokes and also that it is large enough so that their spines are straight and don't curl up when they run

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP, are you gonna stream them a bit later? No pressure, just asking.

Yes! Just sorting their living situation a bit. The cage we bought them wound up having too large bars. They were able to squirm out almost immediately. We've got them in an aquarium now but we're having to keep a constant eye on them until we can get a proper mesh lid or something. I heard aquariums are a bit bad for rats because of ammonia build up but I don't know if that applies to something as small as mice so I'm doing research on it it's an okay permanent home for them or if we need to find something new in a hurry. Once I get that situated which will be sometime today I'll be setting them up and live streaming them on the awesome new webcam that Raticus got me.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Yes! Just sorting their living situation a bit. The cage we bought them wound up having too large bars. They were able to squirm out almost immediately. We've got them in an aquarium now but we're having to keep a constant eye on them until we can get a proper mesh lid or something. I heard aquariums are a bit bad for rats because of ammonia build up but I don't know if that applies to something as small as mice so I'm doing research on it it's an okay permanent home for them or if we need to find something new in a hurry. Once I get that situated which will be sometime today I'll be setting them up and live streaming them on the awesome new webcam that Raticus got me.
Cool, I'm looking forward to it.

Making them a comfortable and secure home definitely comes first, so no need to rush.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see this thread :) They're super cute and I look forward to seeing more of em.

DJMicLuv

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Any recommendations on mouse cages? Is a mesh-lidded aquarium actually fine? I know for rats the smell can build up a bit too fast/it's a bit small, but how about for mice?

Sorry, just literally struggling to find mice cages that they can't squeeze through.

And yes! I'm loving them.

Rats I know but Mice I can't really help so much with.

I've had rats live in aquariums with mesh lids but even as babies I've only had one who could actually fit between the bars so usually I don't. Aquariums were fine but for fun they love the bars for climbing and hanging and all sorts of shenanigans. You should be fine with an aquarium/mesh top, at least while they're so small they can escape. Apparently it's only male rats that can smell particularly bad, I've had a lot of ladies but only one gentleman in the past so I haven't had a problem with smell.

They'll run riot! They can climb like Spidey, they're insanely fast and if you're eating anything they'll bully you into sharing. My last rat could play for four hours solid when she was young, it was tiring to watch, so much energy There's nothing cuter than a sleeping rodent too, they are adorable little things and every one of the rats I've had has had their own little personality traits and likes. They're full of life and fun. Mice are just smaller rats as far as I can make out, very similar in most ways beyond size.

Raticus79

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
All right, good luck with the cage situation. The running disk thing sounds promising.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, that's exciting. Congratulations on getting the band together! I'm looking forward to following along. I know nearly nothing about rodents so it will be cool learning about them.

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, still getting the placement worked out in the long term, but for now, found a good enough location to start the stream!

Raticus79

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! Any tips on setting up the camera you bought me? I want to have this stream up in a couple of hours

Sure, between the 720p/60 and 1080p/30 options, I think the 720p/60 one will be better since they'll be pretty active.

Make sure the low light option is enabled in the Logitech Gaming Software settings here ("camera control" tab):
https://support.logitech.com/en_us/...ch-Gaming-Software?product=a0q3100000B2PiyAAF

Then to configure OBS:
https://support.logitech.com/en_us/...cam-for-OBS-Studio?product=a0q3100000B2PiyAAF

With this setup it should be 60 fps during the day and then will drop to 30 fps if the light is low.

Avoid using the zoom feature if possible since it's digital and it'll lose quality - just use that arm to get the camera to the right distance.

Cage mesh/bars would probably mess with the auto focus, so getting the camera inside would help with that if it comes up.

ninjabot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After a shitty day at work this thread has really made me happy lol. Definitely gonna keep an eye on this thread. Thanks Buttzerker.

Also: are they siblings? What are their genders? Are they gonna make any baby mice?

Oct 26, 2017
I found this cage topper for a 10 gallon aquarium on Amazon
The gaps for it are 3/8" in wide so it might just work for mice but you may have to make some adjustments to it just to make sure.

In-depth Review:
Desert Dancer
5.0 out of 5 stars3/8-inch Bar Spacing and Other Facts
July 27, 2012

Size: FOR 10 GALLONS (Verified Purchase)

Before I purchased this, I looked up all over the internet trying to find info on the wire bar spacing of this high rise cage and could not find it. So, I took a chance and ordered it anyway. Now, I can share with others the bar space measurement, which is very important to know when you have small pets! The bar spaces are 3/8-inch(which is 1 cm). I got it to use for mice and have not had any trouble with escapees. There was one corner where one bar is distanced further, so I cross-wrapped some wire around that small spot, so that I wouldn't have to worry about my mice making the great escape. I would recommend going over the cage before you put your pets in to make sure there are no areas like this...all it takes is one spot a little wider than the others and small mice or hamsters can slip out.

Also, in the item description here on Amazon it says the measurements of the cage are: 19-1/2-inch width by 11-inch depth by 10-1/2-inch height. However, this is not the actual measurement. As stated on the box it comes in the measurements are: 20 1/2 width by 10 3/4 depth and 10 1/2 inch height. This fits perfectly on a ten gallon aquarium. Also, the Amazon description says that it comes with a wheel and tunnel tubes, which it does not. I am going to email Amazon, so that they can correct the description. It does come with a water bottle and food dish. I already have a water bottle, though, so I didn't even try this one. (edited to add that I tried the water bottle just to see if it works...it leaks like crazy! With some adjustment, I got it to stop leaking out the metal ball part, but then it started leaking at the seam where it screws together...so it went in the garbage!)

This cage comes folded up with all the sides all ready connected to the top, so you just attach the J hooks of the sides together and then attach the shelves and ramps inside. It comes with two shelves and two ramps, which with the aquarium makes it a three story house. I didn't have any trouble assembling it...it just takes a little patience attaching the shelves inside, as you have to maneuver your hands and the shelves around the inside of the cage to connect them. They are also attached with J hooks. It says you don't need any tools, but I borrowed my Dad's pliers to pinch the J hooks tighter where the ramps connect to the shelves. My mouse that I had in another cage always got under the ramp and would bump it(maybe trying to move it) and when I tested these ramps by putting my hand under them and giving them a bump, they lifted right off. I didn't want my mice getting hurt by falling ramps, so I just pinched those hooks tighter with the pliers and now they are secure.

When I was considering buying this, I was confused by the conflicting reviews, as some said it was great and others said it had broken and bent wires, etc. But, I knew Amazon always gives 100% refund if an item arrives damaged, so I went ahead and ordered it. No problem with mine, so hopefully the company that makes these has better quality control now.

On the box, it states the cage is for hamsters, gerbils, mice, and rats. I really can't imagine a rat having enough room in there when they're full grown, but I've never had a rat before(only mice), so maybe I'm not the one to say. I just always love my pets to have plenty of room and for mice, this gives them lots of fun space. The mice cages at pet stores seem so small, so I had been using a big plastic bin, but this is much nicer(no plastic...yay!) and easier to view the little critters. It has a large snap door opening in the top, so you can reach in to interact with your pets. The cage is easy to lift off...you just lift the spring loaded clamps on each side and it lifts right off. Those clamps are attached to the cage and you pull them down to clamp under the black rim of your aquarium. But, they are SPRING loaded, so if you have children, be sure they know not to fiddle with them...when I first took the cage off the aquarium, I just snapped them up and they jumped up like a gerbil...you wouldn't want a child's hand to get hurt or startle the inhabitants of the cage. The cage feels secure on top of the tank; I tried rocking it back and forth and it stays securely. I have found it works great for mice.

I made an extra shelf to put on the second story, so now the second story is a full floor. I used metal grating like the type used for these shelves. I got it at a hardware store (I got the more expensive kind, because the less expensive kind had rough metal). I cut it to size with overlap on the front and back...that way the overlap is what holds it in place when I clamp the cage on. I attached felt around all the edges to cover any sharp points where it was cut with wire cutters.

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After a shitty day at work this thread has really made me happy lol. Definitely gonna keep an eye on this thread. Thanks Buttzerker.

Also: are they siblings? What are their genders? Are they gonna make any baby mice?

I think RTJ and Powermouse are siblings. Flow definitely isn't, he's too much older.

All three are males! You don't wanna mix genders too much for mice unless you're specifically trying to breed, yeah.

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found this cage topper for a 10 gallon aquarium on Amazon

The gaps for it are 3/8" in wide so it might just work for mice but you may have to make some adjustments to it just to make sure.

In-depth Review:
Desert Dancer
5.0 out of 5 stars3/8-inch Bar Spacing and Other Facts
July 27, 2012

Size: FOR 10 GALLONS (Verified Purchase)

Before I purchased this, I looked up all over the internet trying to find info on the wire bar spacing of this high rise cage and could not find it. So, I took a chance and ordered it anyway. Now, I can share with others the bar space measurement, which is very important to know when you have small pets! The bar spaces are 3/8-inch(which is 1 cm). I got it to use for mice and have not had any trouble with escapees. There was one corner where one bar is distanced further, so I cross-wrapped some wire around that small spot, so that I wouldn't have to worry about my mice making the great escape. I would recommend going over the cage before you put your pets in to make sure there are no areas like this...all it takes is one spot a little wider than the others and small mice or hamsters can slip out.

Also, in the item description here on Amazon it says the measurements of the cage are: 19-1/2-inch width by 11-inch depth by 10-1/2-inch height. However, this is not the actual measurement. As stated on the box it comes in the measurements are: 20 1/2 width by 10 3/4 depth and 10 1/2 inch height. This fits perfectly on a ten gallon aquarium. Also, the Amazon description says that it comes with a wheel and tunnel tubes, which it does not. I am going to email Amazon, so that they can correct the description. It does come with a water bottle and food dish. I already have a water bottle, though, so I didn't even try this one. (edited to add that I tried the water bottle just to see if it works...it leaks like crazy! With some adjustment, I got it to stop leaking out the metal ball part, but then it started leaking at the seam where it screws together...so it went in the garbage!)

This cage comes folded up with all the sides all ready connected to the top, so you just attach the J hooks of the sides together and then attach the shelves and ramps inside. It comes with two shelves and two ramps, which with the aquarium makes it a three story house. I didn't have any trouble assembling it...it just takes a little patience attaching the shelves inside, as you have to maneuver your hands and the shelves around the inside of the cage to connect them. They are also attached with J hooks. It says you don't need any tools, but I borrowed my Dad's pliers to pinch the J hooks tighter where the ramps connect to the shelves. My mouse that I had in another cage always got under the ramp and would bump it(maybe trying to move it) and when I tested these ramps by putting my hand under them and giving them a bump, they lifted right off. I didn't want my mice getting hurt by falling ramps, so I just pinched those hooks tighter with the pliers and now they are secure.

When I was considering buying this, I was confused by the conflicting reviews, as some said it was great and others said it had broken and bent wires, etc. But, I knew Amazon always gives 100% refund if an item arrives damaged, so I went ahead and ordered it. No problem with mine, so hopefully the company that makes these has better quality control now.

On the box, it states the cage is for hamsters, gerbils, mice, and rats. I really can't imagine a rat having enough room in there when they're full grown, but I've never had a rat before(only mice), so maybe I'm not the one to say. I just always love my pets to have plenty of room and for mice, this gives them lots of fun space. The mice cages at pet stores seem so small, so I had been using a big plastic bin, but this is much nicer(no plastic...yay!) and easier to view the little critters. It has a large snap door opening in the top, so you can reach in to interact with your pets. The cage is easy to lift off...you just lift the spring loaded clamps on each side and it lifts right off. Those clamps are attached to the cage and you pull them down to clamp under the black rim of your aquarium. But, they are SPRING loaded, so if you have children, be sure they know not to fiddle with them...when I first took the cage off the aquarium, I just snapped them up and they jumped up like a gerbil...you wouldn't want a child's hand to get hurt or startle the inhabitants of the cage. The cage feels secure on top of the tank; I tried rocking it back and forth and it stays securely. I have found it works great for mice.

I made an extra shelf to put on the second story, so now the second story is a full floor. I used metal grating like the type used for these shelves. I got it at a hardware store (I got the more expensive kind, because the less expensive kind had rough metal). I cut it to size with overlap on the front and back...that way the overlap is what holds it in place when I clamp the cage on. I attached felt around all the edges to cover any sharp points where it was cut with wire cutters.

Unfortunately, I can say for sure 3/8th is not enough. That's the cage I bought them and they slipped through it like fuckin' Terminator 2.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Jewels is amazingly adorable.

And yeah, Flow is definitely letting it be known that they're the alpha.

"THIS IS MY DISC. BACK, PEASANT!"

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Still on that damn wheel.

Think we found the super athlete/adrenaline junkie of the trio.