• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
People from the Southern United States are often treated as acceptable targets. I hate all kinds of stereotypes about them from being racist, overly religious and gun loving. Slurs such as "hillbilly" and "redneck" are often used. The thing that bothers me is that it's often just accepted.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Stephen Colbert is a Southerner and nobody thinks he's a hillbilly or redneck. Or Bill Clinton. Or Andrew Gillium. Or Stacey Abrams. Or Doug Jones.

Or do you mean that people that act like stereotypical Southerners are treated like stereotypical Southerners?

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You really want to do this today of all days?

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Yeah, it's a little overused honestly. I live in rural Kentucky, and yeah most support republicans, but most are also good people who focus more on their work and family than stay in politics all day. Focus on the ones being hateful shitheads, not blame everyone in society.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Pre-Trump, I'd agree.

But post-Trump, as a southerner myself, let loose with the stereotypes.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
have you tried not electing racist, overly religious, gun fetishising crazy people to represent you on the national stage

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
People from the Southern United States are often treated as acceptable targets. I hate all kinds of stereotypes about them from being racist, overly religious and gun loving. Slurs such as "hillbilly" and "redneck" are often used. The thing that bothers me is that it's often just accepted.

I live in Florida, man. I don't take offense when people post Florida man shit. I know that isn't me, but the fucking idiots I see everyday.

Oct 27, 2017
Well how about taking down all the signs permeating the south claiming you are going to hell if you are gay, have had an abortion, are not Christian, etc?

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm from Alabama and it's true that most people don't look like extras from Deliverance, but that doesn't mean they don't have some nasty, backwards ass views. The south is ultra religious and conservative, that's just a fact.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doing no favors for yourself when you think something like hillbilly is a 'slur'.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Pre-judging a southern individual would be wrong.

Talking in general terms about the garbage fire that is the American south? Not so much.

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I was born in Texas. A lot of my family is from the south.

Fuck most southerners. So many actively push to make their own lives worse just to hurt minorities a little.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
You are more upset about southerners being labelled as gun toting idiots than the southerners who are gun toting idiots?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
they say "the south will rise again", but how can the south rise if its physically below the north?

will "the south" stop being "the south" at that point?

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
White southerners wouldn't get such a bad rap if the majority didn't support white supremacist policies for the last 500 years.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I'm from a small town outside of Houston. This region is FULL of ignorant, arrogant, hick-assed rednecks that form the vanguard of Trumpism. They've fucking earned the stereotype. Hell, most are proud of it.

Nov 30, 2017
Yeah, it's a little overused honestly. I live in rural Kentucky, and yeah most support republicans, but most are also good people who focus more on their work and family than stay in politics all day. Focus on the ones being hateful shitheads, not blame everyone in society.
They enable and share 98% of the beliefs with the hateful shitheads and give them a nod and a wink when the shitheads get to being racist and sexist. Fuck them too.

Zaheer

Oct 27, 2017

You must not have lived in the south for very long.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
The only problem with these generalizations are that they leave a lot of people blind to others in their same state that think just like a stereotypical good ol' boy. It's more about rural vs urban. That's why people are flying confederate flags in New England.

Status
Not open for further replies.