• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think Microsoft making a game like EverWild is bad?

• Yes

Votes: 129 7.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,633 92.7%

• Total voters

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
(I'm talking about this because of the negativity coming from Rare's new game) The presence where now of all sudden Xbox making "cartoonish" games is bad thing is ridiculous. I'm sorry but that's silly to even claim that. Nintendo makes cartoonish games and it's extremely successful. So why the hell is it bad for Microsoft to make it? I mean yeah I want the next "The Last of US" game from Microsoft. But what Microsoft announced with Rare is a welcoming start to the lack of storytelling games that Microsoft is missing. (Even though we don't know what the game is all about) For me that argument is silly to even make, maybe I'm the only one that thinks that so I'm putting out a poll.

thoughts?

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
My issue wasn't that it was cartoony - it was that half their showing had a very similar art style.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there were many people making this argument, even in the stream chats, which is absolute demon spawn.. seemed mostly positive on it.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't look like my type of game but i still think it looks interesting. Also rare should be allowed to make whatever they want to.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not like the old days
220px-Sneakkingbox.jpg

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Who's saying this? Only negative comments I've seen are some comedians saying MS is copying BOTW.

There was some chatter that the games all looked like Fortnite. But as it came off as stupid fanboy nonsense I paid it no mind. Some of them I thought were compelling, some maybe not for me. That's cool though, can't win them all.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Yep.

People don't like the lack of diversity on the Xbox.

People also don't like when Xbox expands their portfolio.

Oct 25, 2017
If the reaction is triggered by Everwild it's pretty moronic to get upset that Rareware is making a cartoony game.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's a laughable argument because MS has Turn10 and Playground games (and Flight Sim), who make arguably the most realistic games ever. Their output is getting incredibly diverse and I think that's an amazing thing.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
It's not the art style. It's that people wanted something else from Obsidian.

That can't be helped though, we would've been seeing that same game whether MS acquired Obsidian or not.

It's not like they're giving up on what they're known for though, their last game for those fans hasn't even been out a month yet.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
That new Rare game looked absolutely fucking gorgeous. Anybody that claims that particular artstyle is a bad thing is just a hater and a troll.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean its not exactly hard to grasp that significant portions of Nintendo's and Microsoft's audiences wont find the same games appealing.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Does the game look good or not - thats the only things that matters.
Some cartoon-style games look amazing, some dont...like with every other style.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I just knew someone was going to have a problem with it, but I came here afterward briefly and didn't see any talk about it. But now this thread.

It's especially weird when some of the most popular games of today have similar artstyles and look, such as Fortnite, Overwatch, LoL, Dota etc.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have honestly never seen a companies announcement ever. In the history of any E3 where I was following the showing online that hasn't had a huge number of complaints about something somewhere. A majority every time are console warriors, or just not fans,.

Oct 28, 2017
It's Rare being themselves again for a new generation.

People who can't see that can buzz off

Still, I've yet to see anyone voice this remark, myself

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
My issue is that a lot of those "lower budget" games keep using the same cel-shaded no-texture art style. It's not bad per-say, but it is bland.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
It's like they've acquired the entire Cartoon Network to make them. I expected at least 1 big budget IP announcement

Oct 25, 2017
My only issue with that game is I feel like we've seen several games with a similar art style over the past few E3's. Bright, colorful, minimalist.

It's just not as interesting the 4th or 5th time you see it.

It's Journey, it's Rime, it's Abzu, it's Absolver, etc

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
the issue isn't that cartoonsih games are bad, it's that so many games are using the same artstyle nowadays it's getting boring

people are getting bored with that artstyle and want something different

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
My issue wasn't that it was cartoony - it was that half their showing had a very similar art style.
Yeah I kinda had that thought too..a very similar cartoony kind of vibe from a lot of what was shown today (the Rare game looks absolutely phenomenal though).

Im sure the big bad 'mature' AAA stuff is being saved for the Scarlett E3 blowout.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Live stream chats are always full of shitheads

Unless they're downvoting the YouTube videos and spamming trash this is a non-issue.