• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think Microsoft making a game like EverWild is bad?

• Yes

Votes: 129 7.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,633 92.7%

• Total voters

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
We didn't even really see what the game aboit yet.
On the other hand diversity is good and almost every game they showed at X019 had a very similar cartoonish artstyle.
The only thing that really stuck out was that celshaded comic style one with Ron Perlman.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
And here I am wishing for more varied artstyles from any developer.

It's why I buy so many indies; I like AAA games but I am getting tired of everything being more and more realistic.

Kudos to Rare/MS for doing something different besides realism.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ngl I think the "cartoony" style of those games is ugly, samey and bland. Characters like the Mario Bros characters, Animal Crossing characters, Sackboy, Spyro and others are way more charming and appealing than anything from those games.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is 2002 Wind Waker discourse all over again but now it's Microsoft instead of Nintendo lol.
Not really....this is nothing even close to what Zelda was as a franchise then Wind Waker came out of nowhere. An extremely small minority is crapping on the artstyle of Everwild.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck no.

In fact, it's Microsoft's (developer's) willingness to explore art styles like this that will make me highly consider switching to their ecosystem next gen (along with other things like Game Pass, etc.). The AAA sphere has enough photo-realism and I'm kind of tired of it. Games are only beholden to the limits of developers' imaginations, why do so many of them limit themselves to making their games look like the world we see every day? It's boring. That's a huge part of the reason Nintendo is still #1 for me, and why my fandom for Sony has been dwindling (don't take that as a criticism, it's a personal preference thing).

I'm super happy to see this.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Rare became beloved for making "cartoonish" games, so to expect otherwise from them is ridiculous.

Also... this is similar to the"Nintendo is kiddy" stuff I've heard forever and I stopped listening to that kind of talk. It's mostly immature teens who need the shooty bang bang and an adult cursing at them to feel cool.

On another note, Everwild looks amazing visually so I don't see what these people are talking about.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Who in the hell voted yes? lol

No it's not a bad idea.

I just knew someone was going to have a problem with it, but I came here afterward briefly and didn't see any talk about it. But now this thread.

It's especially weird when some of the most popular games of today have similar artstyles and look, such as Fortnite, Overwatch, LoL, Dota etc.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I question whether the majority that own Xboxs will be open to it but I don't think it's bad at all. I really liked the art style and looking forward to seeing what the game actually is. Microsoft should be expanding its offerings and art styles it works with. It's a question of how accepting will their audience be after conditioning them for a long time by only really offering them realistic graphics. Sea of Thieves was their first really big test case of not doing that I think and its success is mixed I think.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Wait, some people see Everwild as "cartoonish" and not semi-grounded stylized fantasy? Rare has a history of legitimately cartoony mascot games that I'd love to see call back to (while being simultaneously in on what was presented of Everwild!).

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously not. Diversity is always good.
And also I think Nintendo needs to make more realistic games. Especially semi-realistic Zelda.

Oct 28, 2017
the less realism the better for me. that said, i didn't particularly like any of those cartoonish style in the ms conference lol

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
It's just fanboy trolling.

We know another Gears is coming, we know another Forza is coming, they showed a trailer for Wasteland 3. There will be plenty of gritty/realistic titles coming from Microsoft over the next few years.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
No?

No one making the games they want to make (as long as they aren't wildly offensive and hateful) is bad. Maybe they aren't for you, but they might be for plenty of other people that aren't you.

World doesn't revolve around you.

May 17, 2018
Even if you prefer realistic graphics, why would anyone *ever* expect that from Rare?

Like, when was the last time they even attempted something like that?

Oct 26, 2017
BOTW didn't make toon shaders and grass popular. 🤷‍♂️
It's not about making something popular. It's that it's the last big major example of a game doing just that. No different than what happens with other games

Who in the hell voted yes? lol

No it's not a bad idea.
I think they're either just trolling or don't particularly like cartoony art styles. Still weird because Microsoft will still have plenty of more realistic looking games anyways :P

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I think it's perfect for Rare to make a game that looks like EverWild.

However, watching X019 I couldn't help noticing what seemed like an over-abundance of that Western cartoon Fortnight style design in games being shown. As I'm not a fan of that particular kind of aesthetic, it made a lot of those games a lot less appealing to me.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I get the feeling that the 7.5% of people who voted yes read the poll as "Do you think Microsoft making a game is bad?" Otherwise, I cant think of any other explanation. Microsoft can make cartoonish games. So can Sony and Nintendo. And Sega. And Atari. And Google. And Starbucks. And REI. And American Airlines. Who the hell cares about a company making a certain style of game? If it's fun, it's fun.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
There's nothing wrong with it, but when a lot of the games share a similar art style it's not really unique anymore and starts losing it's flavor.

Better than the brown and grey trend last generation at least.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
We need a lot more games with cartoony art styles so I'm fine with this. My annoyance is just that these cartoony Xbox games look like always-online multiplayer stuff I'm not interested in.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Nope. It is the main reason I thought X019 was an awesome show. Sure I want gritty shooters and Last of Us style games from MS, but titles like EverWild and Grounded give them something that they have lacked, at least in the public eye, for a long time. Diversity. These side projects or second team projects from some of these amazing developers is a great thing to me. It breeds creativity and fosters artistic freedom within those studios. Kudos to MS for letting these studios roam.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I thought their stuff looked great, as someone with three young boys who are usually hanging out wanting to play games with me, it's nice to have some AAA games that are appropriate to play around them. I can play the hard M-rated games after they're all in bed but I don't have a whole lot of time for that these days.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I kind of agree, I guess. I also want a The Last of Us type of game for Xbox. EverWild is not even close to what I want, but it is a Rare game. I'm curious about what The Initiative may produce in the future.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
ngl I think the "cartoony" style of those games is ugly, samey and bland. Characters like the Mario Bros characters, Animal Crossing characters, Sackboy, Spyro and others are way more charming and appealing than anything from those games.

Rares game looks like next level BOTW to me, you think it looks bad?

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like that Rare is making something visually cartoony. It's good to have variety.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Imo the characters and animals in Everwild could have been more BUFF.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Give me stylized cartoon looks over realistic ones all the time.
They age better, are cooler and have more personality.
Look how good Zelda wind waker still looks.
Fuck realistic art style.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Imagine being so boring that you only want graphics that strive for realism over everything else.
Agree. There are many different style and every style suits a different type of "feeling" you want to give to the game. I think "Return of the Obra Dinn" for example is one of the best looking games.

Everwild obviously tries to go for a magical romantic look, not something you can achieve with hyper real graphics. Sadly, after 20 years, most (shallow) gamers are still obsessed with eye candy.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Ive mostly seen positivity and excitement towards Everwild. Dont focus so much on the few posting negativity. Much of the time their goalposts intended to spread negativity. Giving them attention adds fuel.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
Agree. There are many different style and every style suits a different type of "feeling" you want to give to the game. I think "Return of the Obra Dinn" for example is one of the best looking games.

Everwild obviously tries to go for a magical romantic look, not something you can achieve with hyper real graphics. Sadly, after 20 years, most (shallow) gamers are still obsessed with eye candy.
When videogames can be anything, why not aim for something more interesting than "realistic". Take that "The Artful Escape" that was shown at XO19. I think that looks infinitely better than anything that is aiming for pure realism.

Of course, I can appreciate the work and effort that goes into realistic looking games but style will always win out in my eyes.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I have no clue how anyone could say this is ugly, like wtf. Opinions and all but I think you're crazy.

Everwild-screenshot-1280x720.jpg