• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think Microsoft making a game like EverWild is bad?

• Yes

Votes: 129 7.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,633 92.7%

• Total voters

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
I don't think it's specifically due to the toon-ish nature of the games. I think it's the overall direction MS is going with gamepass and it's studios. Outside it's tentpole titles (we all know the ones), all these new titles look like the indie games were used to since last generation. Artsy games, little mp games that you'd see insummer of arcade or as titles that might be peppered in-between the big AAA titles during a press event like E3, are now being marketed as if they're main attraction. People's expectation of what an "exclusive" is, what names like obsidian or ninja theory should provide with a big publisher like MS, isn't lining up at least for this show. These might have been fine if they filled the roles of previous events of yesteryear.

Gamepass isn't going to be filled with new big risky AAA titles, you're getting what you've always gotten just repackaged in subscription form - older games, indie games, and the tentpoles. Those studio acquisitions were for small studios, and at least for the time being, they're going to remain relatively small. If the goal is to 'execute and deliver' you can expect these games not to be today's standard of AAA. You can also expect the bigger titles to be chock full of microtransactions. For some this will be a hard pill to swallow when compared to Sony's particular path of big grandiose spectacle.

Based off this, Scarlett will have all the bells and whistles to really stay competitive with Sony when it comes to 3rd party titles...but not really to push Xbox studios to be some standard bearer. Gears and Forza can do that...and maybe their new Fable. But I think there is going to be divestment from big blockbuster games. To me it seems clear they want to train their users to view these smaller games as the entree instead of the appetizers.

Another thing that might have people a little bummed, is that games like grounded looked a little janky in the run animation. Meanwhile everwild is an artsy enigma...and we all know some have a aversion to artsy games.

The look you're saying is an "indie" game ignores the fact that the largest games right now Fortnite, Minecraft, League, etc. have simpler looks. So regardless of marketing, the look of the game doesn't determine it being a "main attraction" or not. We've had games like Ryse and The Order that looked amazing and I suspect many wouldn't consider those bigger or better than games with a non-realistic look just due to the style difference.

As far as what Gamepass is filled with, you're right it's not going to be filled with risky AAA titles because the industry rarely makes those. They could though with Gamepass but we wouldn't see that for awhile.

You said the acquisitions were small studios , that is just inaccurate. Some are small. But some of them are 200+ people.

"Expect the AAA to be filled with mxt." Microtransactions happen with multiplayer. That is why some of the only Sony games with it are in multiplayer modes (like UC4).

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
The whole thing felt like a gigantic nothingburger to me so I can't imagine being bent out of shape one way or another about its art style. It feels like every major conference we get a game like this -- pastel-ish art style in a fantasy world that sells itself on bEiNg BeAuTiFuL aNd WoNdRoUs. EverWild's trailer just felt SO hollow to me, and the art style neither attracts nor repels me.

To sum up my opinion: I don't think the art style is a problem. I think the fact that the art style was supposed to carry the trailer so hard IS a problem.

I'm not gonna lie, I gotta agree with this sentiment.

As much as I liked the art style, the trailer was a very poor way of introducing a game. It felt more like a trailer for a new Disney movies than a game. It practically told us nothing about what kind of game it will be, who you play as the protagonist, the antagonist of the game story, what kind of gameplay mechanics will be included.

I was expecting it to be followed by some dev commentary and then a short gameplay trailer... but nope. Nothing else.

Pragmatically, the game is too early in development to be revealed. At the same time, if I was an Xbox owner/fan, I would at least be happy to have an idea of what XGS have planned to eventually come down the pipe; so from that perspective, no matter how early days the development is, a reveal was probably necessary.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna lie, I gotta agree with this sentiment.

As much as I liked the art style, the trailer was a very poor way of introducing a game. It felt more like a trailer for a new Disney movies than a game. It practically told us nothing about what kind of game it will be, who you play as the protagonist, the antagonist of the game story, what kind of gameplay mechanics will be included.

I was expecting it to be followed by some dev commentary and then a short gameplay trailer... but nope. Nothing else.

Pragmatically, the game is too early in development to be revealed. At the same time, if I was an Xbox owner/fan, I would at least be happy to have an idea of what XGS have planned to eventually come down the pipe; so from that perspective, no matter how early days the development is, a reveal was probably necessary.

Have you seen the slate of titles releasing in 2020 from XGS? I dont think they're doing anything because they have too, only because they want to.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
I love cartoon artstyles, but Everwild's environments are way too angular and blocky (geometry is too limited and simple) for a primarily next gen game, especially first party and Rare. Lets be real, Xbone S will officially be discontinued (out of production) long before this releases in like late '21 or '22.

Last edited:

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
I love cartoon artstyles, but Everwild's environments are way too angular and blocky (geometry is too limited and simple) for a primarily next gen game, especially first party and Rare. Lets be real, Xbone S will officially be discontinued (out of production) long before this releases in like late '21 or '22.
If it's a shared world multiplayer game (which seems to be the case as characters are always seen in groups), MS/Rare will also want it to be playable on low-end PCs/laptops.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
It is announced as an Xbox One/PC game, so it's probably targeted for Xbox One but scaled up for Scarlett.

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Absolutely not from Rare which fans have yearn for classic Rare experience.

Maybe if it was another developer but this just makes me happy.

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
The whole thing felt like a gigantic nothingburger to me so I can't imagine being bent out of shape one way or another about its art style. It feels like every major conference we get a game like this -- pastel-ish art style in a fantasy world that sells itself on bEiNg BeAuTiFuL aNd WoNdRoUs. EverWild's trailer just felt SO hollow to me, and the art style neither attracts nor repels me.

To sum up my opinion: I don't think the art style is a problem. I think the fact that the art style was supposed to carry the trailer so hard IS a problem.

It was a TEASER trailer.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
I don't think most people have a problem with cartoonish games. I think most people expected more AAA games with high-end realistic visuals from the first party studios, and obviously is not what MS is aiming for.

I personaly love Everwild visuals. Looks gorgeous. I just hope is a solo game.