• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Open world games that take place in nature have been tough since BOTW. Games I played after Zelda were Skyrim, Horizon, RDR2 and I was frustrated every time I was blocked by a steep slope. I had a taste of freedom in BOTW and for me personally it's too hard to go back

Yep we have a new status quo. I couldn't play Horizon after Zelda either.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
playing xenoblade 2 after BOTW I had the same issue... I don't feel it in other types of games... but in open worldish games... OH yeah ... it's aproblem

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, but the constant invisible walls in nier automata make it frustrating to play in general

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
I thought climbing in BOTW is super boring and ultimately the climb anywhere thing is one of the worst aspects of it that ruins a lot of what I find great in exploring & traversing intricately designed environments & levels in video games. Total freedom just doesn't make for interesting gameplay, in my opinion, at least not in the way BOTW did it.
Yeah, kinda my opinion too. BOTW is great in many other ways though, but the free climbing didnt do anything for me. And it would certainly not fit in most other exploration games.

In general I dont feel like missing features when switching between games. Different games are different. What matters is if the games are well designed around their own rules.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And then you have AC Odyssey that does climbing even better, without any constraints or annoying water slippage.

That being said, I think not having climbing is a good way to make a world feel certain ways. Like a horror game without climbing keeps you locked in more, and that lock in increases tension. For example I felt way more comfortable on the open world parts of Evil Within 2 because it gave more navigation options

Feb 21, 2019
Without the stamina traversal feels mindless. In Assassin's Creed you just hold the analog stick forward and hold down a button and you can run directly to your destination without paying any attention to obstacles. It's like a racing game where you don't have to follow the road and there are no walls.
And in BOTW, it just feels tedious and pointless as it does nothing but slow you down in actually enjoying the exploration.

Apr 21, 2018
It's not so much the "climbing", per se, but just that Link always attempts to navigate whatever is in front of him. You can leap over small fences, trudge up steep hills, etc. without getting stuck on a piece of invisible terrain.

Very few games need climbing, but I feel like most games could benefit from BotW's normal movement.

I agree with your assessment, although hitting those few spots in BOTW with the "you can't travel beyond this point" was really jarring.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Never had this problem.

But then again I thought climbing in BOTW was one of the worst aspects of the game and a strike against "go anywhere". At least try make it fun if you're doing that.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
I remember playing Super Mario Sunshine and The Wind Waker around the same time back in the GCN days, and whenever I went from Mario to Zelda I'd get annoyed at my inability to jump. I think OP is describing something similar.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
It's a nice feature in BotW, but it didn't really affect my opinion of other games.

Exactly this. All this talk of how x game ruined x other games(to be fair it's BotW more than any other) is insanity to me, especially because it's always compared to games that are trying to accomplish vastly different things. That would be like saying "Horizon ruined open world combat with multiple gadgets/weapons for me". I didn't even feel BotW's traversal was that awe-inspiring. Maybe if Link could climb like 3x faster. The only game I could even remotely see this happening for me might be traversing in inFamous Second Son after playing Spider-Man(but probably not).

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
AC parkour is fantastic, What are you talking about. You can climb anything and without much hassle . Thats the point of AC games, player empowerment . Not every single thing needs to adhere to challenge design
Shit tier climbing? You're nuts. If you turned Origin's climbing required stamina management we'd have a 500hr game on our hands, and an extremely tedious one at that. Also, who wants to play as an Assassin that can't scale the side of a rock without losing grip and falling?
Climbing in Assassin's Creed as it stands is already pure tedium. Every second of it feels like an eternity because it's purely wasted time that doesn't require you to interact with the game in any way beyond holding up on the analog stick, not at all dissimilar from the "forced slow walking segments" people are complaining about in that other thread.

Requiring the player to actually think about how to traverse the environment and having player skill be a factor in whether or not they'll be successful would go a long way towards alleviating that tedium.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
having the issue now going from AC Odyssey to Days Gone. got killed a few times thinking i could sneak over a boulder or something

guess the issue is you have to go whole hog on "climing everything" or having very specific marks. the only game i can think of that tried to wiggle its way to a middle ground is MGSV and as beautifully as it controlled it could get real wonky when it came to what could and couldn't climb

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Personally I didn't really enjoy climbing in BotW because of the stamina meter. If a climb seemed too big for my current stamina or I just couldn't make it after a few failed attempts (and I didn't have any food on hand to increase stamina temporarily), I typically lost interest and moved on to doing something else in the game.

I remember I started playing AC Origins around the same time I was finishing up BoTW, and found it so liberating to just be able to climb these massive mountains without worrying about a stamina meter running out. Some will certainly criticize AC Origins (and it turn Odysseys) climbing mechanics as being mindless and being too 'gamey', and to be honest, I don't necessarily disagree with that. All I can say is I had much more fun climbing in AC Origins and Odyssey than I did in BotW.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I went from playing BOTW to Witcher 3, and when it started to rain, I just stood there doing nothing, and unequipped my weapons.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Requiring the player to actually think about how to traverse the environment and having player skill be a factor in whether or not they'll be successful would go a long way towards alleviating that tedium.

I disagree. Climbing in Assassin's Creed Origins is fast. There's also far more objects to climb compared to BotW, so if everything was a question of if I have enough stamina to climb, it'd take forever just to do simple side missions. You might find that fun, but I would be bored out of my mind accomplishing nothing, because I'm too busy wasting time slowly climbing/falling down surfaces.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Climbing in Assassin's Creed as it stands is already pure tedium. Every second of it feels like an eternity because it's purely wasted time that doesn't require you to interact with the game in any way beyond holding up on the analog stick, not at all dissimilar from the "forced slow walking segments" people are complaining about in that other thread.

AC already did that and people called it tedious so they simplified it. And now they still call it tedious.

Climbing in BotW is also tedious, except there's a chance you will run out of stamina and have wasted all your time, making it even more tedious. Or, if it starts raining, you've automatically wasted your time through no fault of your own and have to wait and do nothing until the random element ceases to block your progress. BotW's climbing is more tedious than any AC game's.

Jan 9, 2018
I kind of feel the same, but is not the climbing in particular, but most the "normal human moving capabilities
It's not so much the "climbing", per se, but just that Link always attempts to navigate whatever is in front of him. You can leap over small fences, trudge up steep hills, etc. without getting stuck on a piece of invisible terrain.

Very few games need climbing, but I feel like most games could benefit from BotW's normal movement.

Yes! That's the key that makes the game feel much better than the other games.

Oct 27, 2017
I can't say this has ever bothered me. I know what you are talking about though. I still remember seeing bs criticisms of games like God of War about how you can't go anywhere and that Zelda ruined invisible walls for everyone.It's more than annoying. People think that one game does something well, all games should follow suit. It's the same mindset that has lead to most major publishers printing out massive open world schlock filled to the brim with content. It gets tiring. Sometimes I just want some structure in my games. A giant play ground to explore is fine, but you know what is also fine, good level design.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
Personally I didn't really enjoy climbing in BotW because of the stamina meter. If a climb seemed too big for my current stamina or I just couldn't make it after a few failed attempts (and I didn't have any food on hand to increase stamina temporarily), I typically lost interest and moved on to doing something else in the game.

I remember I started playing AC Origins around the same time I was finishing up BoTW, and found it so liberating to just be able to climb these massive mountains without worrying about a stamina meter running out. Some will certainly criticize AC Origins (and it turn Odysseys) climbing mechanics as being mindless and being too 'gamey', and to be honest, I don't necessarily disagree with that. All I can say is I had much more fun climbing in AC Origins and Odyssey than I did in BotW.
i replayed botw after ac:odyssey and i feel the same way, botw feels like such an open sandbox that wants to do little things to annoy me, still i love em both

Oct 26, 2017
I hate having to jump around a mountain or cliff trying to find the one spot where you can actually climb. Horizon: Zero Dawn and Skyrim had this problem. It's just a frustrating waste of time. It really breaks immersion when my character gets stuck in places where my actual human self would do a better job of climbing.

BOTW just let's you climb anything which was a nice solution. It works pretty well for the most part. The slipping in the rain and stamina could be a pain but the freedom of movement was still there.

Every game is different but if exploration is a huge part of the game then being able to navigate the world with as little as possible fuss is essential. I do hope that the sequel to H:ZD gives some better options when it comes to moving around obstacles.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Yeah after BotW open world games have me sitting there wondering why I can't just go to whatever I see however I see fit. Like I can't imagine the next Elder Scrolls not allowing you to climb or go wherever from wherever.

Good way to put it.

Last edited:

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think I have a similar problem, but with a different mechanic.

The simple act of jumping.

As someone who grew up with platformers, jumping is the most satisfying mechanic of any video game to me. When I play a game with even the slightest bit of free movement, I expect to press a button and jump, all the time. If I can't jump, I feel a little sad in side. I was really happy when Breath of the Wild had free jumps, whereas in all past 3D titles, jumping was automatic. Even in RPGs with free-roaming, I want to jump sometimes. I blame Paper Mario for that as the first non-Pokemon RPG I ever played. I get a little kick out of Fire Emblem: Three Houses' loading screen because your little sprite can jump.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I played Horizon Zero Dawn right before Breath of the Wild, but only for a day or so. Then I sunk 200 hours into BotW, and came back to Horizon. I adore Horizon. It's an amazing game, and I loved every minute of it...except a few moments here and there when I felt restricted by not being able to climb, or forced to only climb along a fixed path. It felt like the game's only glaring flaw, and I certainly do attribute that to playing BotW earlier.

funtastrophe

Oct 25, 2017
Tried starting Witcher 3 after BotW and couldn't. I just really wanted to climb everything.

I just started playing Witcher 3 last month. I can see why people laud it as they do. But, oof, Breath of the Wild was really my first modern sandbox-style game, and at times Witcher 3 seems infuriatingly directed in how they segment the different lands. Like, in order to open up new places, you have to push the story forward. But the stages have soft level requirements (eg "you really should be level 7 to play this land"), and I felt compelled to just grind like mad until I was near to the proper level. I think it's really a problem with how I'm approaching the game, not with the game itself, so after I play a couple smaller games (and eighty thousand more Mario Maker 2 levels), I'll come back and give it a real go.

Oddly, I didnt really have any problem playing Skyrim after Breath of the Wild. I easily sunk maybe two hundred hours into it.

daase ko

Oct 26, 2017
That's precisely because it's carefully designed that there is stamina. There are paths to find while climbing to make it to the top.That's why the sense of exploration is very much there.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
This happened to me with Horizon and BOTW. I was happily playing Horizon for a couple of days before BOTW released.

I then tried to go back to playing Horizon and I absolutely hated the controls and the way Aloy could only climb certain things. Botw effectively ruined Horizon for me, I tried to go back to it a few times since but I still don't enjoy it.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Really hoping that Horizon 2 is much more like BOTW for traversal. The game has wonderful animations and by the looks of Death Stranding, the engine is already capable of it.

OP
OP
Stef

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
BotW almost killed skyrim for me completely.
Getting suddenly stuck at a 2m rock felt odd and wrong.

Heh, this.

I forgot I have to be extremely precise here in Era when I write things, otherwise most users immediately start getting thing in the most literal way possible. :D

When I talk about "climbing" i'm not necessarily referring to the ability to climb mountains like a goat or walls like a gecko.

Also being able to cross a 1 meter tall fence or jump over a rock which is blocking me is important and it is this which hit me more: the inability, in other games, to do thing which would be easily feasible by a human being.

Oct 25, 2017
I was not a huge fan of the climbing in BotW, but that was because of the weather effects and in the early game with a low stamina wheel.

I did appreciate being able to climb everywhere; I played Horizon Zero Dawn before BotW, and when I went back to Horizon, one of the few ways in which I preferred BotW was in the ability to climb anywhere instead of having to look out for the specific handholds in HZD.

I'm feeling a bit weird playing any open world game after BotW. I hope we haven't peaked in the genre already.

Don't worry about that; BotW is a very good, but flawed game that isn't nearly the best open-world game yet made. The best is yet to come.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
So far AC is still the gold standard for on foot traversal and climbing in open world games. Knowing that you have total freedom and the most fluid transitions between running, climbing, parkour, swimming etc., (seriously transitioning between different modes of traversal in HZD feels so stiff compared to running) fundamentally changes the way you approach the game's space.
EBiB6sc.gif

6KnjCKk.gif

TYmsU4k.gif

Like I really can't stress enough just how good it feels to switch between any mode of traversal in the last two games.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
AC: Origins/Odyssey already did it better simply by having no penalty for climbing while it's raining. ;)

Melpontro

Oct 25, 2017
I've kind of felt this way since 2007. Assassin's Creed made me want climbing in all open world games.