• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
So, completely by chance, I've been playing recently Zelda: Breath of the Wild alongside NIER: Automata.

Every time I switched from Zelda to Nier I felt somehow... "uncomfortable" when my character was not able to climb on thing.

I was automatically moving towards objects to have 2B "climb" on them and each time I had some kind of "reaction" in my mind.

Just for comparison, the same happened to me when I moved from Max Payne 2 and its physics (you may move basically everything...) to Silent Hill Something (Homecoming?) back then... every time I touched something and it remained still I felt something wrong...

Am I the only one experiencing this?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
You probably aren't the only one, but it's probably not a widespread thing. It's the equivalent of thinking one game has another game's controls when you switch between the two.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't find this to be an issue when switching between third-person games in general, but I do find it to be kind of off-putting when going back to play previous 3D Zeldas.

greenhadoken

Oct 28, 2017
Open world games that take place in nature have been tough since BOTW. Games I played after Zelda were Skyrim, Horizon, RDR2 and I was frustrated every time I was blocked by a steep slope. I had a taste of freedom in BOTW and for me personally it's too hard to go back

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
It's not so much the "climbing", per se, but just that Link always attempts to navigate whatever is in front of him. You can leap over small fences, trudge up steep hills, etc. without getting stuck on a piece of invisible terrain.

Very few games need climbing, but I feel like most games could benefit from BotW's normal movement.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It really depends on the game and what it's going for. I do expect more games to feature climbing mechanics where appropriate, but whether or not more games where that would be an appropriate and enjoyable mechanic are released is up in the air.

OP
OP
Stef

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
It's not so much the "climbing", per se, but just that Link always attempts to navigate whatever is in front of him. You can leap over small fences, trudge up steep hills, etc. without getting stuck on a piece of invisible terrain.

Very few games need climbing, but I feel like most games could benefit from BotW's normal movement.

Yep, so much this.

Having a character stopped by a fence after BOTW is painful.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I'm experiencing this right now playing fire emblem:three houses
obviously it's not even remotely the same genre
but everytime when I'm exploring the monastery, I'm wishing I could climb up the walls, paraglide into the marketplace literally everywhere, and go everywhere in my sight, but I cant

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The same sensation of trying to explore underwater in BOTW after a post 3D Zelda Era...XD

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
I played Horizon Zero Dawn immediately after BotW. I had to stop and come back to it later after playing a few buffer games.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I felt this hard with FFXV. It was the first game I played after BotW and man did it take a while to appreciate the game for what it was, and not hate it for it's bad traversal. Extremely restrictive overworld movement, and then on top of that when you get the car it's such a pain to do anything with it

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I'm experiencing this right now playing fire emblem:three houses
obviously it's not even remotely the same genre
but everytime when I'm exploring the monastery, I'm wishing I could climb up the walls, paraglide into the marketplace literally everywhere, and go everywhere in my sight, but I cant

Three Houses is actually a perfect example of what I said in my previous post. There's that part in the monastery where the student dorms parallel the street on a slightly elevated walkway, and you can only get back to the street from the walkway by going down like 3 steps of stairs.

...C'mon, the walkway is only elevated by like a foot. Just step down, Byleth! Don't run in place against an invisible wall! I don't need climbing or paragliding, just some basic normal-human navigation would be enough!

Last edited:

Mirk

Oct 25, 2017
I feel this. Tbh after botw I have been have a real hard time with any 3rd person game. Playing DQ builders lately and I can't stop thinking about these to games mixed and how amazing it would be.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Three Houses is actually a perfect example of what I said in my previous post. There's that part in the monastery where the student dorms parallel the street on a slightly elevated walkway, and you can only get back to the street from the walkway by going down like 3 steps of stairs.

...C'mon, like, the walkway is only elevated by like a foot. Just step down, Byleth! Don't run in place against an invisible wall! I don't need climbing or paragliding, just some basic normal-human navigation would be enough!
oh my god that's the worst
why can't byleth jump

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am able to play other games fine, though I have heard people say this before. Its sounds dangerously like "This game ruined x for me" though... Youre going to have to learn to deal with it

Jul 20, 2018
After a month of BotW I picked up Dark Souls III again when the last DLC came out and one of the first things I did was to jump off a ledge and try to pull out my hang glider. Didn't work too well.

Feb 21, 2019
Well, since BOTW really doest feel as good as Assassins Creed with that stupid stamina wheel that does nothing but provide a gate keeping function, then yeah, there are problems.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Play some Crackdown 3. You'll be like, I can't jump to the top of these mountains? Ugh!

The climbing issue will be cured.

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Considering how awful the climbing mechanics were in BOTW, i'm glad not many games use that in their design.

effin

Jan 20, 2019
While I haven't experienced this I know my flatmate went straight onto playing Horizon immediately after BOTW, and he ended up giving up on Horizon because of this exact issue.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
iirc I played Horizon around the same time as Breath of the Wild and the way you could barely mount a slope in that game really fucked me up after playing 100+ hours of BotW

Oct 2, 2018
its not like the climbing thing really got you anywhere special in the game. And then when they don't want you to climb, the walls are suddenly unclimbable.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was going to be a problem for me after Breath of the Wild, but I got over it pretty soon. It did bother me around the time, though.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I had this issue when replaying MGS5 after playing Zelda. I wanted to climb everything, and suddenly I couldn't. It felt like I naturally should, that's how ingrained the movement is in the brain after BotW.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Developers never got climbing right, although they did make strides since venturing into open worlds, look at Uncharted, or BOTW, very quick climbing.

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
Had the same problem switching between InFamous and Prototype lol

"I need to find out my route- oh yeah, I could run up walls"

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
I hated playing HZD after BotW.

Me: "What's that crazy looking giant robo squid in the mountains? I wanna go check it out!"
HZD: "This is a forbidden area, turn back or I'll reload your last autosave."

Meanwhile
Me: "Surely I can't drag this iron door to the top of the mountain, use it to kill a boss, then stasis-surf it across the map to Ganon's front door?"
BotW: "Yes."

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Well, since BOTW really doest feel as good as Assassins Creed with that stupid stamina wheel that does nothing but provide a gate keeping function, then yeah, there are problems.
Without the stamina traversal feels mindless. In Assassin's Creed you just hold the analog stick forward and hold down a button and you can run directly to your destination without paying any attention to obstacles. It's like a racing game where you don't have to follow the road and there are no walls.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Nier's traversal in general is abysmal, so it'd feel bad regardless of if you've played BOTW or not.
Abysmal? It's sublime. Granted the climbing isn't exactly great or nonexistent but running around in NieR was great. Tbf though it was more of the animation and dynamic ost that made it great.

Climbing is great on botw but it doesn't exactly work on every game.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Not at all, kinda sad for those who does experience this.

Like having desserts and then being stunned why every other type of dishes doesn't taste sweet. I don't get it.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
AC Origins' addition of climbing on any craggy rocky surface was awesome, and surprisingly didn't look janky most of the time.

Hope they continue to improve that system in the 2020 game.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I thought climbing in BOTW is super boring and ultimately the climb anywhere thing is one of the worst aspects of it that ruins a lot of what I find great in exploring & traversing intricately designed environments & levels in video games. Total freedom just doesn't make for interesting gameplay, in my opinion, at least not in the way BOTW did it.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I had this problem with Xenoblade 2 because the game has climbing, but it's limited in what you can climb and how you climb. I was so used to being able to climb and jump at the same time to go faster, not being able to do that in XB2 caused me to fall so many times because I would try to do it and just fall instead. Lol.

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
I'm feeling a bit weird playing any open world game after BotW. I hope we haven't peaked in the genre already.