• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
hero

news.yahoo.co.jp

かつて「こんなの格ゲーじゃない!」とまで言われたゲーム『ファントムブレイカー』が帰ってきた。『シュタゲ』で知られるMAGES.の“10年早すぎた”格ゲーに時代が追いつくまで(電ファミニコゲーマー) - Yahoo!ニュース

かつて、「これは格ゲーじゃないでしょう」とまで言われた格闘ゲームがあった。  『シュタインズ・ゲート』などの名作アドベンチャーゲームで知られるMAGES.から2011年に発売された『ファントムブレ

Machine Translated via DEEPL
Yahoo- I think all platforms are attractive, but I'm still happy to see "Phantom Breaker: Omnia" on the Xbox platform, where the first "Phantom Breaker" was released.

Mr. Mori:.
It was the Xbox 360 users who first bought "Phantom Breaker. I strongly insisted that we would definitely release the game. I even said, "If you want, I'll pay for it myself.
Also, if you look at the numbers for Xbox only in Japan, it was difficult to feel its strength as a platform for a long time.

Fortunately, the popularity of Xbox has been gradually increasing in Japan recently, and the number of domestically produced titles has also been increasing, so I believe that I did not miss the boat thanks to my original intention. As a side note, many people have the impression that I like Xbox, but if anything, I believe that a software maker should treat all hardware equally.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

There's a lot more in the article such as how the team wanted to release Phantom Breaker: Battlegrounds for the Switch Launch but were unable to due to not having the hardware and more.

--------------------

I felt this quote was thread worthy as it highlights some of the points I feel should be considered when bringing over Japanese fare to the west. Where possible, I think there's a lot more to bringing over a title (to any platform) than just raw numbers. Obviously ignoring such things full-on isn't realistic but fostering a new community or keeping an established niche for a devoted following should always be considered.

While a developer should do everything in its power to get the most money possible. It's nice knowing that these sorts of ideals are still out there for any of the platforms. Since we know the opposite of just dropping prior platforms or ignoring them still happens as well (Persona 4AU being a recent example despite a prior release on Xbox).

CielYoshi

May 10, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I really, really hope they can fix up the PC version, currently button mapping is broken and the Steam reviews are mostly negative due to all of them pointing out the mapping problem.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
I love a good 2D fighter - is this one any good?
Is it worth it on the Switch? Or is there a better 2D fighter on Switch?

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Absolute chad.

I really, really hope they can fix up the PC version, currently button mapping is broken and the Steam reviews are mostly negative due to all of them pointing out the mapping problem.

I see this often with Japanese devs on Steam. Would something like REWASD or similar app help?

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

MarinZero

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 26, 2022
I bought a copy after reading this. He's absolutely right, all hardware should be treated equal, specially now that Xbox is more relevant than the Xbox One days.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I felt this quote was thread worthy as it highlights some of the points I feel should be considered when bringing over Japanese fare to the west. Where possible, I think there's a lot more to bringing over a title (to any platform) than just raw numbers. Obviously ignoring such things full-on isn't realistic but fostering a new community or keeping an established niche for a devoted following should always be considered.

While a developer should do everything in its power to get the most money possible. It's nice knowing that these sorts of ideals are still out there for any of the platforms. Since we know the opposite of just dropping prior platforms or ignoring them still happens as well (Persona 4AU being a recent example despite a prior release on Xbox).
Good point, you can't ignore the numbers, but it's awesome to see someone go out of their way to try to reach players where they're at!

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
My favorite coop game on X360 was Phantom Breaker: Battle grounds:

Replayed it so much with my friends.

I usually buy fighting games later to show support or because they look cool (lol) even though I suck at them. Just wished they did more like the above Battle Grounds.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I remember buying Phantom Breaker when it released on 360 years ago and loving it. Those were the days where it was rare to get awesome 2D sprite games, let alone a 2D beat em up, so when it released, it made a great impression on me. I should revisit it.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
I bought a copy after reading this. He's absolutely right, all hardware should be treated equal, specially now that Xbox is more relevant than the Xbox One days.

It's certainly nice to see this being said by a JP developer, hopefully more JP devs think along these lines.

My favorite coop game on X360 was Phantom Breaker: Battle grounds:

Replayed it so much with my friends.

I usually buy fighting games later to show support or because they look cool (lol) even though I suck at them. Just wished they did more like the above Battle Grounds.

I loved PB Battlegrounds, I was happy to see it become BC since Overdrive was never ported over to XBO or current gen consoles.