• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Apparently Famitsu published an interview with Tales of Arise producer Yuusuke Tomizawa. A translation of key points was given by gematsu.

Here's one point that was...interesting:
We're upping the intimidation of enemy designs. This comes from the idea that "you should get a greater feeling of accomplishment from defeating an enemy." While there is also the idea that some female players might not like it if we make the enemies too scary, it is nevertheless important for RPG battles to evoke a sense of accomplishment when defeating an enemy.

yikes

Originally, the translation was a few words different while saying the exact same thing. To make the thread easier to understand for someone just coming into it, the original translation is given below for context:

We're upping the intimidation of enemy designs. This comes from the idea that "you should get a greater feeling of accomplishment from defeating an enemy." While we also worry there some female players that dislike that, it is nevertheless important for RPG battles to evoke a sense of accomplishment when defeating an enemy.

Last edited:

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry what? Shouldn't the stereotype be that women don't want to beat up non-intimidating things like cute rabbits and dogs and shit?

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Wait what?

So he's saying he thinks female players don't like beating enemies and bosses that are hard to beat?

Like..... what?

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure their ovaries would implode if they were subjected to too much accomplishment - thank God there are still sexist game devs to protect the women.

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
There's the danger of ignoring the word "some", which changes the entire assertion of the thread title and is essentially accurate. Some male players probably feel the same way just based on the Sekiro threads a while back.

Edited for spelling.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They get some really weird focus test results or something? What a bizarre take to have and not necessarily one I'd expect even if someone had traditional gender roles in mind personally.

OP
OP
hydrophilic attack
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
There's the danger of ignoring the word "some", which changes the entire assertion of the thread title and is essentially accurate. Some male players probably feel the same way just based on the Sekiro threads a while back.

Edited for spelling.
then why would he specify "some FEMALE players" and not just say "some players". sexism is 100% a factor here

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019

Edited for spelling.

Then I guess he could have just said some players and not just some female players. It's stupid even with some.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does he mean the visual design or difficulty or what? And why does he think women wouldn't... you know what, I don't even care to know.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
SNK: Were announcing the tone def titled "King of Fighters for Girls" to show how much we don't understand female gamers!

Tales devs: Hold my beer!

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Crazy that more than 50% of the world's population is female, but people in creative positions have apparently never interacted with one in their entire professional career.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Does he mean the visual design or difficulty or what? And why does he think women wouldn't... you know what, I don't even care to know.

I looked at the original Japanese text and I am pretty sure it's about the visual design, especially since he follows up with the remark that there will be cute-looking enemies as well.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Tales does have a rather high female playerbase, many who enjoy the skits and character interactions, so he's likely referring to that subsection of the audience. Still pretty stupid to refer to them as "some female players" but not nearly as bad as the thread title implies.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get what he's saying, its not about the difficulty. Female players may prefer the cute enemy designs, the producers are opting to make the enemies less endearing for gameplay purposes.

Deleted member 4609

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As I understand it, he means the people who buy the games for the character designs, skits and stories (a non-insignificant part of the fanbase in Japan) might find the tougher battles annoying. I guess their market studies might point to this group being largely female, but even so, eh, the distinction wasn't really necessary.

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
then why would he specify "some FEMALE players" and not just say "some players". sexism is 100% a factor here
Then I guess he could have just said some players and not just some female players. It's stupid even with some.
Yeah his emphasis on female players is his own there. Boldstrategycotton.gif and all that. Not a good look but not worth the level of outrage the title suggests. No offense intended, just pointing that out.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Tales does have a rather high female playerbase, many who enjoy the skits and character interactions, so he's likely referring to that subsection of the audience. Still pretty stupid to refer to them as "some female players" but not nearly as bad as the thread title implies.
Wait, how do enemy designs affect skits and character interactions?

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

If I remember correctly Hideo Baba said in an interview before the release of Zestiria that around 30% of the Tales playerbase consists of women. At Tales of Festivals 90% of the attendents are women though. I think he attributed this split to the fact that their female audience is more into the characters and the story and are therefore more eager to attend events where the voice actors, etc. are present.