• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

DeNA have put out a letter from the producer Satoshi Sasaki and Tetsuya Iguchi addressing many complaints from fans. They have put forth an apology for the amount of problems the game has had, the small amount of content as they thought the current set-up and EX Challenge would be sufficient, but realise that EX Challenges are not for everyone and that they are sorry they brought the game to a point where there was little to do in it. They detail four different complaints that they commonly saw:
Lack of content
Rewards for stages not being enticing
Level design not being amazing
Game is difficult to understand

With this, they have promised that they are going to change direction with how the game will proceed in the future with more content, more attractive rewards for completing stages and aim to make it so that you can use your favourite Sync Pairs rather than necessarily the strongest for the situation. They will work on this but state it will take time. They'll provide periodic updates through letters, with the next one planned on October 17th. We'll provide more details as they come.

I searched and didn't see this posted anywhere

Last edited:

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Thought this was about sword and shield at first . Read too fast am now sad

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well that's positive at least. I dropped the game for now but I'll check it out again when these changes arrive.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I just uninstalled this morning. Been logging on every day since launch and it is embarrassing how much nothing there is. Today I was prompted to update and instead uninstalled

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017
This game is a mess. I was super excited for it, spent like $30 at launch, then just gave up after 3 weeks in after I cleared all the solo content.

The remaining content is coop and it is absolute garbage. Fights take way too long because you can't speed up battle speed in coop, they're too hard, and it's just not fun. It's a torturous grind for no reward. They need to get rid of coop altogether.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's good that they recognise that it's in a poor state, but that's no substitute to actually fixing it. They've got a hell of a job on their hands.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
#mess

It's hard to believe it considering it's a Pokémon game, but out of all the kusoge currently installed on my phone, this is the one I'm closest to just deleting.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I've still been logging in daily. I dig the active timer battle system which is the big reason I've been playing it. We'll see how it changes because it's definitely not worth the commitment I've been giving it.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I've still been playing every day, but it sucks.
I haven't dropped money since launch.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
They seem to care more about addressing fan complaints than Gamefreak does lmao

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They seem to care more about addressing fan complaints than Gamefreak does lmao
That's because this game is a palpable dud, whereas Sword and Shield is nailed-on to sell 15 million and be a huge success no matter what Game Freak do, and because Masters is a GAAS that lives and dies on ongoing support and appeal.

Talk about try-hard.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Come play DL instead at this point. Fixing this game will take a Herculean effort and they only *just* started saying anything because their revenue fell through the floor.

This game doesn't really deserve any good will when it's done nothing to earn it, and they only start to communicate with fans when the bottom falls out.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I'm glad they're at least putting it out there that they know it sucks... but it kind of feels kinda late considering people who were on the fence about the app (like me) seemed to already have jumped ship.
I dunno how they thought this was good enough because there's so aggressively little to do and/or "look" at during a single play session even for a gacha game.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon Masters is an absolute garbage fire.

Endgame is a horrendously boring co-op grind with little in the way of strategy thanks to terrible balance. The incredibly boring bottle grind to reach level 90/95/100 discourages any experimentation. Incredibly popular characters like Cynthia, Red, Steven, Lance, the villains, etc. are still all absent from the game. There's barely any story content past the half finished main story, with trainer conversations limited to one per trainer outside evolution conversations... And bizarrely, most of the Pokemon that should be able to evolve can't. And content is added so slowly; the datamining revealed there's not even a fucking Halloween event in October.

This apology is too little, too late.

Last edited:

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Come play DL instead at this point. Fixing this game will take a Herculean effort and they only *just* started saying anything because their revenue fell through the floor.

This game doesn't really deserve any good will when it's done nothing to earn it, and they only start to communicate with fans when the bottom falls out.

I would if it had launched in Germany (don't want to use the backdoors to play this)

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Glad they're addressing the major flaws to the game, hopefully this is the redemption arc. I don't even bother logging in daily since the rewards are such a joke.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this game can be saved. It'll take a Herculean effort to convince people to reinstall. They had one shot at a first impression and blew it.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They're probably gonna need to smooth things over for a while with consistently excellent freebies while they work to somehow prepare a soft relaunch to get people interested again. It sounds like a lot of people only logon when they add a ton of apologems lol. It's certainly going to be an uphill battle.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
About time they'd talk about it, the core gameplay is nice but almost everything around it is awful.
Good luck I guess.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
It was a matter of time, the game is on life support already because playing the hard content is straight up impossible without hard coordination or the 5* Gacha units, most of the time both.

Hard content aside there's literally nothing to do and the reward system is the worst I've ever seen in any Gacha.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how fast it fell down the charts I figured there would be big changes coming soon. Didn't TPC team up with DeNa specifically because of their experience in this area? It's kinda ridiculous that DeNa thought that the current set up was good.
I also hope they address their stupid method of releasing 1 new unit at a time.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, considering how incredibly well designed, successful and well regarded FF Record Keeper and Fire Emblem Heroes are, there was no way to fuck up a Pokémon game, but they somehow did.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how you can expect players to keep playing with both a lack of content and a severe lack of rewards.

I deleted it a week ago and haven't looked back. May go back if they can fix it, but it sounds like any significant fixes are months away.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I think they took the Pokémon brand for granted.

Even Pokémon Go declined before they found their footing and started adding substantial content.

Content is everything.

Nov 15, 2018
They havent mentioned anything about evolving pokemon like Brocks Onix to Steelix or even the player characters pikachu to Raichu. That was my biggest issue.

Idk if pvp would work but I enjoy Summoners war arena where players put up a team and its controlled by ai. Would like something like that.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Feels like they could have taken a lot of queues from Cygames and Dragalia Lost (or hell even GRanblue) for how to pace out PvE content and keep it engaging. The dungeon diving mechanics in Dragalia would lend themselves well to "expeditions" of sorts from Pokemon and having events to "catch" a big rare one like the blazon summons would be cool. I could go on for days how even though I hate Gacha that Dragalia has a nigh perfect system of keeping players coming back and engaged with content while still keeping it resource friendly and cost friendly.

Can your player character even swap out their pokemon? I didn't know if they could or not. Player progression is big, and I don't know if you can just remove your character like you can in Dragalia but if so that kinda sucks as most Pokemon games are about the player power fantasy of catching em all and training em all.

I'm totally down for joining in at a later date for Pokemon Waifu Battlers but for now aside from the stellar music and presentation it seems the "game" part is still missing in a lot of ways.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I think they took the Pokémon brand for granted.

Even Pokémon Go declined before they found their footing and started adding substantial content.

Content is everything.
People act like Pokémon guarantees sales and that fans will buy/pay for anything.

Spin-off sales and amount of closed mobile projects say otherwise

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Place your bets, what happens sooner? Dragalia Lost finally seeing an official release in the rest of Europe, or Pokemon Masters managing to turn the tides.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure what can be done with this game. The core gameplay is fundamentally unfun. Adding more content isn't going to change that.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's a real shame since it looked so promising on paper.

I wish we got a new Pokémon Shuffle instead with the Gen VIII Pokémon. I'm still playing that game on a daily basis, years after its release.
After the bullshit nonsense that was the latter days of Shuffle? No thanks. Masters has never left me feeling half as ripped off as that.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
After the bullshit nonsense that was the latter days of Shuffle? No thanks. Masters has never left me feeling half as ripped off as that.

What do you mean by the latter days, when they introduced Gen VII?

I just know that I've been able to keep playing every day since launch, I'm still stuck in the 600's lol but I already caught all the "event" Pokémon. I've managed to come this far without spending a lot of money, I think only once or twice I spent to buy a couple of jewels. It's become a daily routine at this point, to log in, get my coins, and keep getting the daily rewards. Eventually I get a free jewel and I'm able to defeat the stage I'm stuck at. But I don't know, the gameplay itself is very addictive to me, unlike Masters which bored me not even a week after release.