• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chapter's out.

tenor.gif

ShadyK54

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
110 thoughts:
Probably too much to hope that Norman is the one that left the message

111 thoughts:
giphy.gif

Andrew Two-Face or Andrew Fring?

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Welp back again with my Volume 6 impressions!

Well after a long struggle in that intimidating forest Emma and her friends seem to have founds two new "friends". Overall I'd describe the volume as warm. It gave both the reader and the kids some deserved rest and quite time. Got some cool info like the kids are actually in the demon world and that this world has been this way for thousands of years. The info on there being other farms was rather depressing as most are mass production farms for humans. Paints a rather bleak picture for the kids. Though it is nice that the kids got to another safe place by the end of the volume. Oh and before I forget I rather enjoyed the company of Sonju and Mujika. Sonju just had a cool design in my opinion and Mujika was rather cute, They felt like they were characters out of a Dark Souls game. I also figured something was up with Sonju when he said he doesn't eat humans for religious reasons. Found it rather funny the reason is he has to hunt the things he eats lol.

Ah overall I really enjoyed the entire volume. This is one great series 6 volumes in and it is still effortlessly creating a fascinating and interesting world.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Dude is done after this, but man...even after all that, Andrew still putting in work. That's not just a minor flesh wound either.
you'd need flesh for that

As for next week, I'm under the impression it'll end up being Emma.
I think it's finally setting in that if they oppose the demons, they'll also oppose the Ratri clan and may end up needing to kill humans in order to survive. Especially given that Andrew flat out said the other cattle could have easily downed him if they weren't so hesitant to kill another human.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
This arc is basically
"We've heard you complain about no one dying in this story. Well, hold my beer."

Oct 25, 2017
That came from left field, dont know if we needed more deaths on top of deaths two chapters ago, losses effectiveness to have it so soon, especially with a pretty screwy antagonist that was shown to be really confident in the past chapters. Now it just feels cartoony and goofy. Worst yet all these deaths back to back strongly suggests and highly implies few (if none) would occur at major moments in the future.

Lastly, feels it goes against Emma's character since she wanted to get everyone hope. Perhaps she will snap.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This was pretty brutal. I mean, considering it's Shonen Jump, having a guy with a half ripped face hitting children with a rifle on the face seems really harsh.

Emma will do the right thing, we know it.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Well then....

Can someone remind me if we exactly know what Andrew's deal is

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This arc is basically
"We've heard you complain about no one dying in this story. Well, hold my beer."

Lmao right

That came from left field, dont know if we needed more deaths on top of deaths two chapters ago, losses effectiveness to have it so soon, especially with a pretty screwy antagonist that was shown to be really confident in the past chapters. Now it just feels cartoony and goofy. Worst yet all these deaths back to back strongly suggests and highly implies few (if none) would occur at major moments in the future.

Lastly, feels it goes against Emma's character since she wanted to get everyone hope. Perhaps she will snap.

I guess this won't be a super happy fun manga after all

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I have to catch up
I'm up to the point where (Volume 4 spoilers)
Norman is about to be shipped out, and the Wall + Cliff reveal was seriously cool. Gonna be real sad if Norman ends up being killed off here!

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is this the most violent imagery that's been in shonen jump for the past two decades? Cause damn

Oct 25, 2017

Oh how convenient there just happened to be a drone thats always been there recording them...Im struggling to even believe this aspect of the plot.

In any case, Ray struggling to fire was something that I wanted, and also Oliver reconfirmed for best after Ray, like, you go Oliver continue to prove and show everyone just how epic and phenomenal you are. Love you so much right now. Shameful Emma couldnt execute when it really mattered most, she is in need of dramatic character development or else.

OP
OP
Stowaway Silfer

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nice that Oliver came through. Also nice that Ray seems ready to shoot humans now. I suppose it makes sense a demon would show up due to the gun sounds but it seems kinda convenient that while said demon went in to bite Andrew, Emma had time to go in, catch that girl who was about to be stepped on and jump away before getting eaten. Whatever though, cool looking page so I don't even care.

The moment of the kids dealing with Yugo/Lucas' confirmed deaths is a very good one. Curious to see where things go from here and who James is.

I'm also curious about how to "kill no humans" pseudo-policy will be handled and affect the kids going forward. Seems par for the course for a Jump series to not have its main characters kill people but when I think about it in the context of this series, it doesn't make sense for me if this ends with Emma not ready to kill someone else just because they're human. From a moral point of view, where we are right now, there's nothing that makes a human in this series fundamentally better than the demons and for me among the people they've killed so far, those acts were justified not because those people weren't human but rather because they were inhumane, by contributing to the farming or hunting of intelligent, self-aware beings. And so maintaining the line at "human being" until the very end doesn't make sense because ultimately, some of the humans in this series are inhumane. That's why I'm very curious as to how that setup will be handled from now to the end of the series, and if the rule is to be maintained, whether that'll be through putting the kids in situations where that belief is challenged or if things will be written in such a way that it doesn't come into question much.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
The owl thing is indeed stupid, but "shonnen stupid" silliness, tbh.

It doesn't seems like they will kill humans, though, at least for a while. Emma will indeed need some character development, with these deaths she can't fulfill her goal of keeping everyone safe, which was unrealistic and it would be too easy for the kids.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017

It doesn't seems like they will kill humans, though, at least for a while. Emma will indeed need some character development, with these deaths she can't fulfill her goal of keeping everyone safe, which was unrealistic and it would be too easy for the kids.
Emma realises she can't save everyone because she's not strong enough.
She becomes Guts.

OP
OP
Stowaway Silfer

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah at this point, the "no one dies" ideal is already off the table. Though it's either been adults or the kids we don't really care about. I wonder if a kid we've been made to care about will go. But yes that goal was too naive from the start.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Just caught up to this manga, and I liked it a lot. Goldy Lake did drag a bit, but the ending parts were hype. Emma is a fantastic lead character. I was worried at the start when she seemed to rely on Norman and Ray to do all the thinking, but she's grown a lot. This is going to be lost on most of you, but I'm reminded a lot of the My Little Pony fanfic Nine Days Down, where Twilight is trapped in Tartarus. Both Twilight and Emma are trapped in a twisted and dangerous land, desperately seeking out hope and somehow finding it, and trying to give her enemies at least a chance to become friends, but fighting back when they are turned down. The supporting characters are good too. They perhaps aren't using as many of the 60 or so characters as they could be, but as of the latest chapters, I don't think there are any that are being left out of the action that shouldn't be.

I know people were expecting more characters to die over the course of the story, but I much prefer significant character deaths being saved for actual important moments, rather than being spread out everywhere until you just don't care. The first arc handled this perfectly, Norman not dying aside, and I was good with no one dying during the search for the base. I thought it was a stretch that the Goldy Lake arc had zero human casualties during the fights, but the recent chapters have made up for that.

There are two structural issues I have with the series: it absolutely adores flashbacks and jumping ahead then flashing back to show how they got there, using both more than it should; and I feel parts of the story would have been better handled if they didn't cut to show the perspective of the antagonists. Let the audience learn things at the same time as the protagonists. Related to the first, chapters seem to recap the previous one much more than any manga I've read before, which I suppose is fine for a weekly release, but it's annoying when reading all in a row.

I read this right after reading Dr. Stone. While I enjoyed both, possibly enjoying Dr. Stone more, this is the series I'm left thinking about much more, I'm looking forward to the anime version of more, and I really want that anime to be good and succeed.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
The last chapter was very interesting. I still think this could last much longer than the author wants, but, well, can't wait to see the finale regardless :D

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I feel like there could be a whole spin-off series around chapter 113 alone.
Minerva's crew looks badass and wild

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of wish the story was only from the main cast perspective, leaving the things of the other groups nebulous and leaving us the viewers to only see it from the characters perspective.

The mass production farm was sad and honestly the most brutal thing in the whole series IMO, just finally seeing the kids raised their bound to be food fodder like :( RIP wish they had a better life.

OP
OP
Stowaway Silfer

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That color page is very good!

Very interesting chapter this week!! Most interesting one to me in a while I think.
Minerva 2's crew seems cool I like the short look at their personalities that we've gotten as well as their designs. Zazie seems particularly interesting because I get the feeling he's kinda like Adam and the other kids from the mass-production farms in that he can't speak much if at all. Which makes me wonder what was it about Adam and Zazie that made them able to be saved when the others couldn't.
Seeing the kids in that farm is pretty emotional. It made me feel really bad for them. Minerva 2 burning down the farm is also pretty interesting. I wonder how Emma would've reacted to that and if they'll get along. It seems he isn't as naive as she is at the very least but having to do that didn't seem right either.

At any rate, I'm very much looking forward to learning more about them and having Emma and co. join up.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Hear my righteous indignation

Solid (and sad) chapter. Color page is great as always. For some reason I half thought that it was going to be Norman with the way they were hiding the face lol (even though that would be a jump from where we left him and he would have matured at a much faster rate than the others).

OP
OP
Stowaway Silfer

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hear my righteous indignation

Solid (and sad) chapter. Color page is great as always. For some reason I half thought that it was going to be Norman with the way they were hiding the face lol (even though that would be a jump from where we left him and he would have matured at a much faster rate than the others).
I thought it might've been Notman when they got the call but yeah once he was shown to be this tall that idea died lol.
He does have lighter colored, possibly blond hair like that Ratri clan guy and Norman so maybe they're all related somehow.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

At first I was worried they were going to introduce a set of quirky human villains for the heroes to have shonen battles with, but I was happy with the direction it ultimately went. It's sad that Emma's hope of releasing the factory farm humans is apparently impossible.

OP
OP
Stowaway Silfer

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

At first I was worried they were going to introduce a set of quirky human villains for the heroes to have shonen battles with, but I was happy with the direction it ultimately went. It's sad that Emma's hope of releasing the factory farm humans is apparently impossible.
Lol I thought they were villains at first too. I do like that they're on the good side and have those quirky personalities though, feels like a nice change of pace from how most if not all the other good guys in this series are like.

OP
OP
Stowaway Silfer

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Too tall I think. He would've had to have a massive growth spurt or maybe been experimented on.
Could be interesting if he turned out to be Norman cause the cover page shows characters' present heights except for Phil who's at Grace Field and Norman who's presumed dead (and still in his Grace Field outfit) and Norman's height relative to Emma/Ray gives the cover a somber tone but maybe it's meant to be misleading.