• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
What, that humans are sentient? I heavily doubt that. Why wouldn't they? The monsters aren't ashamed of eating humans. They're clearly really into it. Of course they'd pass that onto their kids.

Were you told as a 3 year old all the cute pictures of cows and chickens in your kids books get slaughtered to make the yummy meals you eat? Does that concept even process in a 3 year olds brain?

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Were you told as a 3 year old all the cute pictures of cows and chickens in your kids books get slaughtered to make the yummy meals you eat? Does that concept even process in a 3 year olds brain?
Why are we talking 3-year-old? We should be talking about an age where one can reason and hold a conversation. At 6-7, I knew that cows weren't sentient. That they couldn't talk like us, or think like us. I learned that from my parents, my school, whatever. Humans being sentient isn't some forbidden truth that they'd hide from their society.

Dec 28, 2018
I don't think any of the demon children would even be aware that the humans they eat are sentient in the first place. I doubt many if not all of them have ever encountered a living human before, the extent of their interactions with humans is probably the human eat they get at the market and then later eat. And I don't think there would be any reason why the parents would have to tell their kids that the meat they eat is sentient, just seems like a pointless thing to tell your kids unless they asked you for whatever reason.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any of the demon children would even be aware that the humans they eat are sentient in the first place. I doubt many if not all of them have ever encountered a living human before, the extent of their interactions with humans is probably the human eat they get at the market and then later eat. And I don't think there would be any reason why the parents would have to tell their kids that the meat they eat is sentient, just seems like a pointless thing to tell your kids unless they asked you for whatever reason.
It's not necessarily about "sentience." Remember that those from farms akin to Grace Field are a minority. The majority are the mass produced humans who can't function. The ones who probably don't even know where they are, have been plugged in for their whole lives, can't talk, can't do anything but live their whole lives suffering until they're ready to be eaten. So whether they can think for themselves or not, it doesn't really matter.

And while monsters can't be exposed to the Grace Field like farm produce, they can to the mindless ones. And I don't see why, if we're thinking of them as a human-like society, the parents wouldn't bring the kids to those farms to see what's up. Why the kids wouldn't be taught about this in their own schools. Why the parents wouldn't come home, have their kid ask them what they've been doing, and the parent would just give a straight answer, where the kid—as they do—would ask more questions about the animals they're guarding. If they're supposed to be as smart as we are, I'm not too sure they wouldn't be asking questions or thinking about what they're actually eating.

The only thing I can see being kept secret is the fact that the kids need to eat humans to function. But there'd be no reason to keep this secret, either, when it's literally what is needed of them to survive. The "children" will grow up to be just like the adults. They're not some next generation who will end the cycle of suffering that's been going on for however long it's been.

Dec 28, 2018
It's not necessarily about "sentience." Remember that those from farms akin to Grace Field are a minority. The majority are the mass produced humans who can't function. The ones who probably don't even know where they are, have been plugged in for their whole lives, can't talk, can't do anything but live their whole lives suffering until they're ready to be eaten. So whether they can think for themselves or not, it doesn't really matter.

And while monsters can't be exposed to the Grace Field like farm produce, they can to the mindless ones. And I don't see why, if we're thinking of them as a human-like society, the parents wouldn't bring the kids to those farms to see what's up. Why the kids wouldn't be taught about this in their own schools. Why the parents wouldn't come home, have their kid ask them what they've been doing, and the parent would just give a straight answer, where the kid—as they do—would ask more questions about the animals they're guarding. If they're supposed to be as smart as we are, I'm not too sure they wouldn't be asking questions or thinking about what they're actually eating.

The only thing I can see being kept secret is the fact that the kids need to eat humans to function. But there'd be no reason to keep this secret, either, when it's literally what is needed of them to survive. The "children" will grow up to be just like the adults. They're not some next generation who will end the cycle of suffering that's been going on for however long it's been.
With how little we were shown of the demons society it is hard to determine how exactly it functions and if it is any way comparable to our own. And even if they did have an education system, there's no sure way of telling if they'd teach the demon children about humans. If they did, however it could be very likely that they would censor or fabricate things about the history of the humans as a way to indoctrinate them, showing the children that what they are doing isn't bad but instead good. But assuming that their society and education system is similar to ours and that they have gone to the mass-produced farms before and have seen the humans there, then I could see the children having pity for the humans but still eating them. As they could have either been told or taught why they have to eat human meat, and while they don't like it they have no choice as if they don't eat it they'll revert to a more primal state, which is basically a death sentence for them. I know I must sound like a demon fanboy, but I don't think that the children are all inherently bad or even the adults. It's because of how their society is set up thanks to the noble demons that they have to live this kind of lifestyle and aren't given much of choice on the matter. And I'd wager a guess that if the demon children did try to bring an end to the cycle the odds would be highly against them, and I could see the noble demon killing them to make an example out of them.

Spoder

Oct 24, 2017
It might be a missed opportunity that the author doesn't create a demon vegan group who chooses not to eat humans. There's Musica but so far she's the only exception, plus she doesn't need to eat so it's not really hard for her to abstain (I'm not counting Sonju because we know of his ulterior reason).

There should be other altruistic demons than her who chooses to abstain from eating humans, or show the readers some demons who sympathise with humans and help them, even if it's inconvenient or dangerous for them to do so. Right now since there's none shown except the one who doesn't need to eat humans, it's hard not to assume that they're all willingly perpetuating the eating of human children. We have not even seen a demon who shows any slight of guilt for eating humans so far.

Dec 28, 2018
It might be a missed opportunity that the author doesn't create a demon vegan group who chooses not to eat humans. There's Musica but so far she's the only exception, plus she doesn't need to eat so it's not really hard for her to abstain (I'm not counting Sonju because we know of his ulterior reason).

There should be other altruistic demons than her who chooses to abstain from eating humans, or show the readers some demons who sympathise with humans and help them, even if it's inconvenient or dangerous for them to do so. Right now since there's none shown except the one who doesn't need to eat humans, it's hard not to assume that they're all willingly perpetuating the eating of human children. We have not even seen a demon who shows any slight of guilt for eating humans so far.
I feel like it was missed opportunity by Shirai that he didn't have more chapters focused on Emma and the others in the demon city. Hell I would have liked to see an arc around this as we could have been introduced to other demons who were against eating human eat and the kind of treatment they got because of it. As well as showing more of the family dynamic of the demons and how their society works exactly. Which would have added a more weight to Emma's dilemma as well as showing that not all demons are bad.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Chapter 129 is out.
That sentence, "We don't have so much time left" makes really think me that either they are going to die because of the experiments, or anyway something bad would happen to them.
About the main content of the chapter.. now I understand why Normal seemed so strange to him. Basically they reversed roles and they started to study demons.

Oct 25, 2017
Darn I hope my favorite of the Lambda kids doesnt suffer from unspecific plot related disease #1774. Unclear if Norman does as well. I dont know how he can save everyone and everything. Lambda kids will easily be the ones to be sacrificed for plot.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It's kind of funny how Norman has essentially gone down a similar emotionally twisted path like Isabella did. That last panel was really effective.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that Norman got his demon information from his own experiments.

Still not sure what the Lambda Team are going to do in this story, especially with them not having much time left. Does this apply to Norman too?

That last page was super anime.

Dec 28, 2018
Can't blame Barbara for wanting to kill all the demons and being angry at Emma since she and the other must have experienced true hell at Lambda. And it seems like their dying? At least that's what I gathered from what was said this chapter. And if they are dying because of the experiments done to them I'm guessing that Adam will end up dying as well. Glad that we got to see how Norman was able to obtain the information about the demons, can't imagine any of those captured demons had a pleasant or quick death. And while that final panel was cool and all this was all I could think of.
aa0.png

Oct 25, 2017
I just caught back up and boy has Norman really gone down the slippery slope. I can't see it ending well for him once this series wraps up.

It's also pretty amazing that the author managed to make some demons look somewhat sympathetic in comparison what we we're first shown at the start of the series.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Resubscribed to Shonen Jump the day after I watched the last episode of season 1. Really excited to get caught up, but unfortunately I was spoiled about something big a month ago. At chapter 59 right now, I believe? Really disappointed to find out Sonju was deceiving them and actually wants to eat humans... I'm really liking the world they've made so far though. Finally learning about the "promise" in the title was a cool moment.

Oct 25, 2017

Nothing happened.

No wonder there was no discussion this week.

Awkward direction to go with abandoning all of the kids just to focus on Ray and Emma. Surely one or two characters could tag along with them, especially someone from Goldy Pond, dont just cast them aside.

Spoder

Oct 24, 2017
I think this manga has difficulty fleshing out the other children so to me it doesn't really matter if they tag along or not. Too often they just feel like a group of children with no unique voice and opinion of their own. I miss the time when we're still figuring out who is the traitor in the group. That was exciting.

Oct 25, 2017
I think this manga has difficulty fleshing out the other children so to me it doesn't really matter if they tag along or not. Too often they just feel like a group of children with no unique voice and opinion of their own. I miss the time when we're still figuring out who is the traitor in the group. That was exciting.
I thought Don and Gilda could at least come along, they were part of the original ones to really implement that plans post norman' departure.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
You need the kids to stay behind and watch as norman goes full crazy genocide mode and help to further wedge norman from the grace field kids with "you've changed" scenes

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Really want Emma to take an L and realize that her ideals are just that, and that she needs to be brought back to a certain reality. Of course, I think this manga will paint her as being just and as ultimately taking the best path, but I don't like that. Act 1 had a certain level of intellectual nuance, where she'd consider the countermeasures that were being presented and move forward with those in mind. But I feel like right now, Emma is missing some of that. Or maybe it's that I don't appreciate the outcome she's gunning for, based on what's been presented in the story until now.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised that no one else is tagging along too.

It looks like the way they get to the Seven Walls will be magical in nature. This will be first time Emma explicitly tries to invoke that.

Dec 28, 2018
Reading through the chapter again and man did it just make my disappointment in Don and Gilda not going with Emma and Ray worse. I've always been a fan of those two and as such it hurts to see how little plot relevance they've had after the first arc was over with. As much as I love this series the handling of the side cast is one of the weaker aspects of it. Not that I expect or want every side character to be relevant in a meaningful way mind you as that would be ridiculous considering how many of them there are. I just wish some of them, especially Don and Gilda, would contribute more to the story instead of just sorta being there.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Reading through the chapter again and man did it just make my disappointment in Don and Gilda not going with Emma and Ray worse. I've always been a fan of those two and as such it hurts to see how little plot relevance they've had after the first arc was over with. As much as I love this series the handling of the side cast is one of the weaker aspects of it. Not that I expect or want every side character to be relevant in a meaningful way mind you as that would be ridiculous considering how many of them there are. I just wish some of them, especially Don and Gilda, would contribute more to the story instead of just sorta being there.

It is definitely the most glaring flaw of the series. Only saving grace is that Don and Gilda aside, the majority of the cast are literally little kids, so I don't mind that they're just kind of there. Of course, such an excuse loses its bite with the Goldy Pond arc introducing more characters around the Emma and Ray's age that I won't pretend I ever gave a crap about.

Dec 28, 2018
It is definitely the most glaring flaw of the series. Only saving grace is that Don and Gilda aside, the majority of the cast are literally little kids, so I don't mind that they're just kind of there. Of course, such an excuse loses its bite with the Goldy Pond arc introducing more characters around the Emma and Ray's age that I won't pretend I ever gave a crap about.

Honestly think it would have been better if the side cast was on the smaller side, it's to big for it's own good. And I'm largely indifferent to many of the side characters since a lot of them are kids. But yeah it's harder to ignore the older ones who should be able to contribute something to the story but then proceed to do jack all, which just adds to my frustration.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised to see that we're getting so many new demon characters. I guess we'll be getting DEMON POLITICS for a while.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of like them leaning into magic stuff if it leads to some more nice art like that part around the time skip. Not so excited at the prominence of demon politics, but we will see how it goes.

Since the color page mentions season 2, I wonder how they will pace it. Maybe two cour and going through the Andrew stuff?

Dec 28, 2018
Well I wasn't expecting to get properly introduce to the Five Regents this chapter but I'm perfectly fine that. Really like the designs of all five of them, especially Dozza. The way his face is drawn is very different compared to other demons in the series, it looks rather cartoony. And it seems that Nous and Nouma weren't lovers but siblings, which makes me wonder if what Nous did back at Goldy Pond is the demon equivalent of incest or not. Anyway I always thought that the ruler of the Demons was going to be a Demon King but it turned out to be a Demon Queen instead which I'm happy to see. Gotta say that Queen Legravalima has a damn good design and it's neat to learn that she's the older sister to Lewis, interested to see what kind of relationship those two had with one another.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
Very interesting chapter. So Don and Gilda will still have relevancy, and here comes the plot twist...

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lord help me in remembering which demon is who outside of the queen herself.

And goddamn at not only Don and Gilda still being relevant, but that cliffhanger...

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused about the plot twist. Can anyone explain or is it something we're just gonna have to find out about?

Oct 25, 2017

Guess we're going back to where it all began, wonder if this was a trip into the past, or if there is a Negative/Opposite World and we're gonna see the house run by demons and humans ruling over them.

Nov 14, 2017
My guess is that the place is a manifestation of their strongest memories.

Or an illusion cause by the entity they will be meeting.

Dec 28, 2018
Finally read the chapter and boy is it nice to see Don and Gilda getting involved with the plot again. Norman will probably ask them about Mujika and her whereabouts, it's the only reason I can imagine why he'd want to talk to them now. And that ending was certainly surprising. I'm guessing it's a kind of trial and isn't actually real so I feel like we could see the possible return of Isabella or Krone. Whatever happens there I'm excited for it.

Oct 25, 2017
Dumb writing and lame content. Creepy age shifting could have been cool but it ended before ray could figure out why. Additionally, the seven walls being found so soon is way too convenient.

Dec 28, 2018
Didn't even realize we got a early chapter this week but that's good to see. Man the interaction between Isabella and Ray was so nice, it's a shame it was so short though. Chapter was a mixture of nightmare fuel and weirdness and I'm all for that. At the end it seems like there heading towards a underground bunker, I'm guessing it's possibly the one where they first met Yuugo. Hopefully this lasts for a bit because I'm interested in seeing just how trippy it can get the further they go.

TheTyrant

Nov 27, 2018
Finally caught up with the 25 chapters I was behind on. Really intrigued to see where they go with this, I hope they go even more trippy. The demons looked dope

Dec 28, 2018
Just wanted to drop by and share some fanart I've found.

Also just wanted to mention that TPN will be going on hiatus for a bit because of Kaiu Shirai's poor health. And one more thing I wanted to mention is that from ramblings on the internet I've seen is that this upcoming chapter will be on the shorter side, apparently around the 11 page range.