• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
vf0wWwb.jpg

Hello and welcome to the ResetERA thread where we discuss all thing related to "The Promised Neverland".

SYNOPSIS
"Emma, Norman and Ray are the brightest kids at the Grace Field House orphanage. And under the care of the woman they refer to as "Mom," all the kids have enjoyed a comfortable life. Good food, clean clothes and the perfect environment to learn—what more could an orphan ask for? One day, though, Emma and Norman uncover the dark truth of the outside world they are forbidden from seeing."
(From Viz Media, North American Publisher of the Series)

GENRE
Drama - Fantasy - Thriller

WHY SHOULD I READ THIS?
I'd recommend this because it's really refreshing for a Shonen Jump series and offers a really nice change of pace from their various works with super-powered martial artists (not to dismiss those works, lord knows I'm a sucker for those). This story does a great job of keeping you guessing and the art does a simply stellar job of expressing the feelings of the characters as they are put in stressful and sometimes traumatizing situations. I honestly wouldn't want to say more than this because this is a work that is best enjoyed with minimal prior knowledge.
You can read Chapter 1 here which should give you a good idea of whether this is something you'd be interested in without taking too much time.
Also, don't you want to be a cool person and get into this before it gets an anime adaptation and becomes a worldwide phenomenon? ...No? Well...what if I told you that this series received the "Eiichiro Oda Seal of Approval"? I thought so!

WHERE CAN I READ THIS?
Viz/Shonen Jump, first 3 and most recent 3 chapters (Website/iOS/Android): Available in United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, the Philippines, Singapore, and India

MangaPlus, first 3 and most recent 3 chapters (Website/iOS/Android, offers Spanish and Thai chapters in adition to English): Available Worldwide, except Japan, Korea and China

On Viz/Shonen Jump, you can also pay a $2 monthly subscription to get access to every chapter in the series.
You can also buy the volumes as they become available in your country.

WHAT CAN WE DISCUSS HERE?
  • You can discuss the chapters when they are released on Viz's Shonen Jump service (Website/iOS/Android) or on (Website/iOS/Android). Chapters generally come out on Sundays at 1pm PT/3pm ET/8pm GMT. Chapter Schedule.
  • If you're getting into the series, you can discuss your impressions as you go through it. It's always fun to see newcomers react to various events in your favorite series. If you do that, obviously you wouldn't want to get spoiled so I'd recommend only posting your impressions and reacting to posts that are directly quoting/tagging you. As long as you do that, you shouldn't be afraid of the thread so please don't hesitate to update us on your thoughts.
  • You can discuss news related to the series, it's creators, post fan-art. your crazy speculation, your fan-fiction and pretty much anything else that is in some way related to this series (like I said when at the top).
WHAT ARE THE RULES HERE?
  • Do not name or give acronyms for scan providers.
  • Do not post scans or links to scans.
  • Do not discuss the contents of a chapter before it comes out officially.
  • If your post is quoting/tagging someone who is not yet caught up, try to make sure nothing in your post spoils the series for them.
  • Be nice to each other.
With all that out of the way, let's begin discussing "The Promised Neverland"!!! If you have any recommendations for the OT, do not hesitate (just...be nice. This is my first OT)!
ExttGMQr.jpg

(Previous Image)
"It's hunting time."

Last edited:

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Excited for the next chapter

Imo either the nameless guy or Lucas is going to die in the battle against Lewis

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn Silfer, why were you insecure to begin with? This looks fantastic! I have been snarky and lazy, but truly, thanks, been hankering for this OT for months now lol

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I love this series so much. I NEVER read manga weekly as they release but this one has its hooks in me so far that I am constantly craving the next chapter.

OP
OP
Stowaway Silfer

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Excited for the next chapter

Imo either the nameless guy or Lucas is going to die in the battle against Lewis
Me too! Lucas' words at the end of the latest chapter have me so hyped. And I'm a sucker for the kind of twists where the heroes are more prepared for the situation than we thought. (which is something this series has done really well)
I also loved it when one of the kids' leaders said "We're just going to be free a day sooner than we thought!". It's really incredible to be able to look at things this positively in such a situation.

Damn Silfer, why were you insecure to begin with? This looks fantastic! I have been snarky and lazy, but truly, thanks, been hankering for this OT for months now lol
Lol it's just you go into OPs like the ones for Dragon Ball Super and you're like "Damn these dudes can Photoshop!".
But I'm happy you like it.

I love this series so much. I NEVER read manga weekly as they release but this one has its hooks in me so far that I am constantly craving the next chapter.
I was actually talking to a friend earlier today who's been catching up and is so afraid to be caught up because of the weekly waits. I know I definitely felt empty when I got caught up.

Nice job on the OP!

One day we will learn no name guys name.
Thanks!
I hope we get a good reunion betwen Noname and Lucas. God I'm gonna cry.

Spoder

Oct 24, 2017
I like this manga, it's clever, uncommon, and full of suspense. I also adore the fact that the main character is a 12 year old girl who's not sexualised, and she's the core leader of her group.

STORY SPOILER
And she's bad ass enough to cut her own ear for the sake of her friend.

Deleted member 643

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see the OT on here.

Also for anyone interested, volume 1 and 2 are out in print now in English

OP
OP
Stowaway Silfer

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Great thread Silfer! Now excuse me as I take my leave cause I haven't even started the series yet.
Thanks! But if you do start please keep us updated on your thoughts!

I like this manga, it's clever, uncommon, and full of suspense. I also adore the fact that the main character is a 12 year old girl who's not sexualised, and she's the core leader of her group.

STORY SPOILER
And she's bad ass enough to cut her own ear for the sake of her friend.
Emma is such a great character. Already one of my favorite leads in manga. Can't help but root for her.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a great series even if there was a bit of a slump for a while after they got out of Grace Field. That said of the more recent Jump series I still actually prefer Dr. Stone, but that's a matter of personal taste

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still reading this but I'm not as hyped as I was when they were still in the Field House or even with those 2 demons.. Each arc feels less and less interesting to me.

OP
OP
Stowaway Silfer

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still reading this but I'm not as hyped as I was when they were still in the Field House or even with those 2 demons.. Each arc feels less and less interesting to me.
Even the Golden Pond stuff? Cause man I also felt a lull after the escape but that really brought back the hype for me in a big way!
Letting Dr. Stone build up before I check it out
Man when you do that I need thoughts! I think Dr. Stone is legit great!

I also prefer it to Neverland though I don't know which one I'd call better.

megabyte

Oct 25, 2017
Great thread! Love the images. Also, I had no idea there was a simul-publishing (?) service like the one you mentioned in the OP. That's amazing! Definitely will check it out from now on.

I've been buying the volumes as they release in Japan, and it seems really popular here. Can't wait for an anime adaptation.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Even the Golden Pond stuff? Cause man I also felt a lull after the escape but that really brought back the hype for me in a big way!
I dunno, I feel like they're introducing way too many characters for me to care about them all at this point.

That's probably common in shonen though. I don't really read much manga anymore, but I read shojo, josei, and seinen for the most part- very little shonen.

OP
OP
Stowaway Silfer

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Great thread! Love the images. Also, I had no idea there was a simul-publishing (?) service like the one you mentioned in the OP. That's amazing! Definitely will check it out from now on.

I've been buying the volumes as they release in Japan, and it seems really popular here. Can't wait for an anime adaptation.

Yeah the Viz release of Shonen Jump is fantastic. They have a lot of great titles, including stuff from other Jump magazines like V Jump and Jump Square. I've honestly been reading a lot of manga thanks to it and it's been a pleasure! (Hell the reason I started Neverland in the first place was wanting to be caught up with everything in the magazine)

I also can't wait for an anime adaptation. I think that with the material of the series, an anime adaptation with a good studio and staff could lead to the series gaining immense popularity. (Honestly I could see an Attack on Titan-style phenomenon where everyone watches it)

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
haven't read perhaps like last 10 or so chapters
i do feel the current arc isn't as good as the the orphanage arc, that was incredible
this series is probably the hottest "new" jump title

Oct 25, 2017
Love this series. Been reading it since it started (though that's not too long ago)

I get the feeling if an anime happens, it's going to blow up big in the West. A/la AoT.

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
This is my favorite manga right now. Still not caught up with everything though so will back out of the thread again in case of spoilers, heh :)

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Great OT!

This and Attack on titan are the only manga I'm keeping up with these days.

Really enjoying it. Those damn cliff hangers man.

There were a few panels in the early chapter where isabella was DOWN RIGHT TERRIFYING. Did Ray ever figure out she was his mother?

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the OT! Looks great.

It really feels like we are kind of halfway through the manga.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's time I get caught back up on this. I think I'm behind about 20 chapters.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised it took so long to get an OT on here. Manga continues to be great.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Have y'all heard that the manga is supposedly already halfway done?

Tbh I'm kind of glad it's not going to go on for years and years, mostly because most of those manga drop heavily in quality, especially in jump

I've been meaning to get into this, looks really cool.
It's really good

Spoder

Oct 24, 2017

Tbh I'm kind of glad it's not going to go on for years and years, mostly because most of those manga drop heavily in quality, especially in jump

It's really good

Yeah I heard the same. I'm also glad.

I don't think they should pad it out with fillers. Plus, I'm not even sure how they can artificially extend it anyway, it's not like they can insert a random enemy to the story.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

I hadn't heard that but I'm fine with it.
There's only so many red herrings and extra clues to finding something a reader can take before giving up on a series.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017

It's really good

Yeah. It'll finish a bit more than Death Note's run, which was a good length, I think.

Deleted member 1441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see this OT back again! The original got me in the series and I am super thankful for it. Its been a great ride so far, and I can't wait to see where things go.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
My man Silfer you finally did it :)

I will post my reactions in here but i will have to be very carefull not to get spoiled so i will just read the reply's, once i caught up then i can completely read the thread.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, I feel like they're introducing way too many characters for me to care about them all at this point.

That's probably common in shonen though. I don't really read much manga anymore, but I read shojo, josei, and seinen for the most part- very little shonen.
I mean... it's not a stretch to think most of the goldy pond kids aren't going to get a happy ending out of this.

OP
OP
Stowaway Silfer

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Glad people like the OT!

Might give this a try sometime because you have good taste Silfer :P
You know it! (Seriously, I know I ham it up with...other stuff that I recommend in the OP thread but Neverland is something I would describe as legitimately excellent and refreshing)
Now...ignore the rest of this post lol

Yeah that is a problem with Shonen manga in general and definitely a fair concern here. Personally though, for now I'm fine because even though the cast is getting larger, the number of people I feel the series is actually trying to make me care about remains reasonable. I don't necessarily care about the most of Goldy Pond kids but I care about Emma and Lucas who care about them so whatever happens to those kids I will care about how it affects the characters I care about.
I get the feeling if an anime happens, it's going to blow up big in the West. A/la AoT.
I honestly feel that way too. My dream is that it gets the Death Note/AoT director cause that dude is really good at making intense, passionate scenes out of non-combat material and I think his talents would lend themselves well to this series.
This is my favorite manga right now. Still not caught up with everything though so will back out of the thread again in case of spoilers, heh :)
I guess it's time I get caught back up on this. I think I'm behind about 20 chapters.
Get caught up now!!!!
Did Ray ever figure out she was his mother?
I thought he knew but I'm doubting myself now.

Honestly if it is to end relatively soon then I'm really cool with that. Especially since now we have a clear endgame that is more concrete and reasonable than what Emma planned on doing before.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
I am so glad you made the new OT. Current chapters are fire. I can't wait for more

Child murder!

Crow Pudding

Nov 12, 2017
Great manga but someone told me the author told the plot is halfway, so the series can end relatively soon, is it true?

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Neat, an OT! The manga is pretty great and has yet to slow down, its clear the authors knows what they are doing, it has a focus few manga series has.

Great manga but someone told me the author told the plot is halfway, so the series can end relatively soon, is it true?

If I remember correctly the Author wrote the entire plot and presented the manuscripts to Shueisha, and apparently it was really meaty (As in lots and lost of twists and turns), add character development and the format of Weekly Shonen Jump and it should reach 200 episodes, likely.