• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Very Impressive, PS4 been a software beast.

Though i have to say this makes the PS2 number look even more impressive considering these were all physical retail releases, not counting digital only or smaller titles. Kinda nuts how many games they shipped.

Yet the PS4 is more profitable, just shows how the market has changed and how plattform holders benefit alot from the move and options of being able to sell games digitally.

VermillionA

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 29, 2019
And their first party titles are making up a bigger % of the sales than ever before. They're on an insane run.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I definitely bought more games for PS4 than for any other console ever.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

Though i have to say this makes the PS2 number look even more impressive considering these were all physical retail releases, not counting digital only or smaller titles. Kinda nuts how many games they shipped.

Yet the PS4 is more profitable, just shows how the market has changed and how plattform holders benefit alot from the move and options of being able to sell games digitally.

Yeah tbh I assumed PS4 software sales were way above PS2 for a long time now.

Also, adding to what you mentioned, PS2 was super easy to pirate.

Jssom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It would have been even more have they counted digital only games since the beginning of the console life (They started this just last year right?) and the thing is it stil have couple of more years to widen the number even more.

Looking at the other threads data yeah it's no doubt that the PS4 is Sony's most successful console.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I don't have a PlayStation, but how does it look like when you get free games with PS Plus? Is it like a transaction on the store where the price is set to 0? This could contribute a little to the number being so high, still great though! :)

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017

Digital only games have been under 10% of total PS4 sw sales every FY. Even if you ignore those PS4 will surpass PS2 in sw sales. Also during PS2 era you didn't have games like Apex, Fortnite etc (so F2P games) that don't factor in total sw sales yet are played by tens of millions. both consoles have their advantages and disadvantages when you compare sw sales.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
So apart from the actual hardwareunits, the PS4 is beating the PS2 in more ways than one? Insane

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
20-ish of those sales were from me. PSVR is by far my favourite thing from the last generation.

Makes the CMOS battery DRM issue all the more annoying if all of those 1.5 billion games stop working when the battery in every PS4 inevitably dies and Sony eventually takes down the authentication server.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have a PlayStation, but how does it look like when you get free games with PS Plus? Is it like a transaction on the store where the price is set to 0? This could contribute a little to the number being so high, still great though! :)

I was wondering the same thing. But it couldn't be because that would inflate the number sooooooo much. I must have 3 times as many giveaway games than games I bought.

OP
OP
Kolx

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
PS+ games are noted not to be a part of this number.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Digital only games have been under 10% of total PS4 sw sales every FY. Even if you ignore those PS4 will surpass PS2 in sw sales. Also during PS2 era you didn't have games like Apex, Fortnite etc (so F2P games) that don't factor in total sw sales yet are played by tens of millions. both consoles have their advantages and disadvantages when you compare sw sales.
I wasnt trying to downplay the success on either plattform - both represent the best/most that was possible during their generation.
Just saying how impressive the PS2 numbers are looking back considering that was an all physical/retail market.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Wow that's so surprising. Not to steer things off course but Switch has an even higher number of games bought per console doesn't it? I guess it shows engagement in gaming is just getting better and better.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seriously impressive achievement.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
And without a wishlist feature on the console store, no less.
I was thinking just yesterday while watching crunchyroll on the wiiu about how Nintendo had to start over during the middle of the ps4's lifetime, with software sales taking a dive as developers prepared for the new console.

Imagine being able to purchase everything from the wiiu eshop on the switch for example. As a late adopter I'm still considering buying games that came early on the ps4's life, but you can't buy Phantom Hourglass or Deus Ex HR on a WiiU Pro a.k.a. Switch.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
The best Playstation. And not by a little. I feel like it sort of snuck up on the title. I never really thought about it as a GOAT contender, but one day I was looking over my game library, and it hit me.

Consensus always puts SNES and PS2 as #1 and #2 (in either order), but I think the PS4 is better than either of them. By any measure, it deserves consideration as a top contender.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 legit has an argument for GOAT, and I usually advocate for PS2 in those conversations

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
That's very impressive! Especially considering GaaS games and how people stick with their games for much longer than previous generations.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Yeah between the PS4 and Switch I've spent more money this generation on games than I probably ever have before. For all the complaining everyone likes to do online about the state of video games when something like Avengers comes out, there's been a ton of great titles released this generation and the numbers definitely support that

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It was a great console with an incredible roster of games. Really solid generation with a load of great memories attached to it.

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
What also plays a part in this (anecdotal) is that the average owner of a PS4 is older then the PS2 .
If i see a game i want its easier for me to buy it now instead of pleading to my parents to buy it for me as was the case with the PS2

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
Does this include both physical and digital?

If digital, are PS Plus games also included