• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm writing this after my friend told me about his woes with his PS4 Pro and he isn't the first. The more I think about it I get the feeling that the PS4 Pro was rushed and not exactly what it claims to be and in my opinion one of the poorest standards of console releases since the original PS3 tech-wise and what it claims to do.

The difference isn't there

I think the main gripe is that the difference isn't there between he base model and the PS4 Pro, even in 1080p boost model only delivers a 50% increase in frame rates, while that sounds good it can often cause frame stuttering or torn frames. The problem is more apparent at 4k where you start to see the limitations of the hardware. The machine doesn't really help with 1080p not can it truly be called a 4k machine. It would have made much more sense to support 1440p mode as a native resolution mode for gaming monitors for the best experience.

Checker board rendering isn't great

The PS4 uses a technique called check-board rederning to get to 4K ro close enough. The effects often leads to situations of un-refined edges in games that look very jagged, here is one comparison of the technique used vs 4k and you can see it's not a great visual experience:

GIDDJ1a.jpg

It's interesting to see that 3rd party developers are moving away from checkboard implementation once the XBOX One was released. – most likely due to development time spent on making a checkboard implementation due to development time in the game engine.

No FreeSynce support

The fact that the PS4 is using an AMD APU with no FreesSync support is really puzzling, especially gamers who utilise a monitor rather than a TV for best picture clarity and response time. This feature would have help with the stuttering caused by games that can't reach 60fps on the Pro, games like God of War would have been benefited by this. As gamers this would jhave made a night and day difference for the PS4 Pro in playing games without have to face the stuttering. This video shows you why FreeSync is so important.

Pricing and timing are wrong

The 3 year gap between the base model PS4 and the Pro still angers many people who bought the model expecting it to last a lot longer, with Sony releasing ½ step upgrade it torn many consumers on whenever it was worth being a 1st time buyer if this was going to be a norm for future generation of consoles If you don't have a PS4 then it's not really a problem but for original customers it's infuriating choice of waiting for the PS5 or biting the bullet and getting the PS4 Pro and having to get the PS5 a few years later. Also for a 4K device and with Sony being the innovators of BluRay you would expected that they would have implemented Ultra HD Blu-ray

There are a ton of other minuscule issues with TV compatibility, HDCP handshakes and what it means to be "Pro" but overall I like my PS4 slim, I bought it last year and was conclited between the Pro and the Slim and by good I am happy with my decisions, a machine that is on par with it's "powerful" sibling without any of problems on the PS4 Pro.

Deader2818

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Maybe im just really blind but the 2 pictures don't look that different to me. Also, im never playing at 400% zoom so not sure why that really matters.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
What exactly is claimed to be the ps4 pro to be a mistake? :/
I think you have misunderstood the MS PR with the Sony presentation.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
It's great at 1080p. Bullshot quality in motion is amazing. I suppose it's really bad for 4K though.

Your super zoomed in comparison isn't doing you any favors though, it looks the same. Bad in both lol

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
Where do you get torn frames and stuttering on the pro in boost mode? I've never ever seen that. That's simply not true.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Calling it a mistake is a bit of s stretch.

As someone who uses my PlayStation almost everyday, for games, Blu-Rays, Netflix, etc., I love the Pro and think it's totally worth it.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We had the Wii U in the intervening years, and yet PS4 Pro is the biggest mistake since the PS3 OG (which by the way was awesome)?

Okay.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Can't wait to play God of War on PS4 Pro after the spectacles that were Horizon and Shadow of the Colossus. WipEout Omega in 4K/60/HDR or VR are amazing.

Sorry for yours or your friends woes but I disagree with the pair of you.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
I think your friend's purchase decision is the mistake -- not the product.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Valid points

I think it's fine for what it is. Could it be a lot better? Sure but at least it's a upgrade to base ps4

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The 3 year gap between the base model PS4 and the Pro still angers many people who bought the model expecting it to last a lot longer, with Sony releasing ½ step upgrade it torn many consumers on whenever it was worth being a 1st time buyer if this was going to be a norm for future generation of consoles If you don't have a PS4 then it's not really a problem but for original customers it's infuriating choice of waiting for the PS5 or biting the bullet and getting the PS4 Pro and having to get the PS5 a few years later.
You overestimate the amount of people who own a PS4 and are angry at the Pro even existing.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I always laught when comparatives like this uses "Zoom: 400%", or such. Like, I couldn't possible tell even if I'd my eyes glued to my TV

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It was intended as a half step to allow them to keep a "premium" sku on shelves. People who don't see the worth or value (and that's probably the majority) are who the Slim exists for.

Most of your premise seems entirely based on personal anecdotes and opinions that you haven't really proven exist on a larger scale.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is that comparison shot supposed to convince me or what?

I don't see any difference on mobile...

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The biggest mistake about the Pro is the missing UHD Blu-ray drive, but if someone tells me that there is no visible difference in picture quality compared to the base PS4, I tell them to get their eyes checked. Ever since I upgraded my TV to 4K I wouldn't want to go back.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
The 3 year gap between the base model PS4 and the Pro still angers many people who bought the model expecting it to last a lot longer, with Sony releasing ½ step upgrade it torn many consumers on whenever it was worth being a 1st time buyer if this was going to be a norm for futuregeneration of consoles If you don't have a PS4 then it's not really a problem but for original customers it's infuriating choice of waiting for the PS5 or biting the bullet andgetting the PS4 Pro and having to get the PS5 a few years later. Also for a 4K device and with Sony being theinnovators of BluRay you would expected that they would have implemented Ultra HD Blu-ray

My ps4, from near launch, is still playing os4 games. Nobody is making anyone get a pro and a ps5. Stop it.

Xer0

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I do think the X is a bigger step-up than the Pro is, that comparison shot doesn't help your argument at all.

VR is also a better experience on Pro. I'm also psyched to play God of War with an unlocked framerate on Pro. It's not a completely useless machine.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
yeah honestly it has disappointed me quite a lot Still a nice upgrade over vanilla but a far cry from 4k level gaming.

Dhoom

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
The lack of a 4K BluRay player turned me off from upgrading all together. I don't know how they dropped the ball considering the Xbox One S supports it, and Blu Ray is a sony property.

That being said, the boost to some games is alright, but they haven't and won't update Bloodborne, so what's the point?

Oct 27, 2017
California
i see a crazy difference in performance between a base PS4 and a PS4 pro, especially in more taxing AAA games like Monster Hunter World.
I would never go back.

But sure, OP, greatest mistake since the PS3. I'm sure Sony's hurting tremendously from its release, especially in terms of 3rd party support and subpar ports. /s

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very happy with mine and I strongly disagree that checkerboard is unimpressive. You need to see it in person on a 4K display at normal viewing distances instead of in a zoomed in comparison. I just wish more devs utilized it. Obviously there were things that probably should have been done differently, particularly in regards to RAM, but it's still a nice console that offers up a better experience.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 Pro is better at 4K than PS4 is at 4K. That is the product. That's why it's selling well. That's all it needs to achieve to be a success.

It's not for people who want an Xbox One X instead, and it's not really for people with 1080p displays.

Status
Not open for further replies.