• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
And this is without the permanent $199 price drop. I wonder if they would pull that next year or stick with that price during Thanksgiving/Black Friday holidays?

RDR2, while not exactly the behemoth GTA V will be, will no doubt be the best selling game of the year.
Depending on how the game is recieved, I'm willing to bet Spider-Man will be bigger than RDR2. Mainly because I believe Spidey is bigger worldwide than Western properties.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Same time period :

Hardware

Ps2 - 71M Shipped.
Ps4 - 70.6M Sold-Through (73.5M shipped?)

Software

Ps2 - 570M Games shipped
Ps4 - 618M Sold-Through

PS4 is destroying the King but why be a King when you can be a God?

Last edited:

zephyrcian

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Wow, what a beast. Next year is going to get even more crazy due to all the shit coming out.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
That's nuts, just goes to show that consumers will be very open to cheaper prices.

Imagine if it was $99?

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
And this is without the permanent $199 price drop. I wonder if they would pull that next year or stick with that price during Thanksgiving/Black Friday holidays?

Depending on how the game is recieved, I'm willing to bet Spider-Man will be bigger than RDR2. Mainly because I believe Spidey is bigger worldwide than Western properties.

Not happening.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nice. Momentum hasn't slowed despite product launches from it's two biggest competitors.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Yet people still think Sony will launch the PS5 in 2019. No way will Sony do anything major to disrupt this momentum.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
i still dont get it

:/

I think it's a reference to a poster in the Media Create threads that post a graphic that shows the domination of Nintendo on Japan. The Nintendo market share looks like Pacman and the user constantly mentions that. So, it has become a joke to say "waka-waka" (as a reference to Pacman eating sound) when we saw domination from any brand.

Also, man, I wish the PS3 drop it's price too. I want one but they are still to expensive for a 11-year old console.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yet people still think Sony will launch the PS5 in 2019. No way will Sony do anything major to disrupt this momentum.
Yeah, I'm not expecting a PS5 until 2020 honestly. The console has massive momentum and bringing out the successor too early would just needlessly cut the knees off PS4

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They have to because of the timing of past consoles. The executives at Sony don't want to release PS5 yet, but the release timing of PS2 dictates that they must release PS5 with the same timing. They have no other choice. /s

SLB1904

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think it's a reference to a poster in the Media Create threads that post a graphic that shows the domination of Nintendo on Japan. The Nintendo market share looks like Pacman and the user constantly mentions that. So, it has become a joke to say "waka-waka" (as a reference to Pacman eating sound) when we saw domination from any brand.
ha ha ha ha
ffs

yeah ive seen his posts. embarrassing

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Such a BEAST.

If Sony sells more PS4's in 2018 than this year I can see them launching the PS5 in 2020. These numbers are insane. And that's without backwards compatibility & no crossplay with Xbox.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
The hardware figures feel impressive, with PS4 and now Switch making waves, but the industry still feels unhealthy and we see studios get shut down every week.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Very impressive sales, and i'll admid i didn't expect that a year ago. I thought 2016 would be the peak, but 2017 sales were absolutely insane.

Still 4 weeks to go, should sell 73-74 million by the end of 2017.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
The fact that the PS4's sales pace has increased at year 4 is ridiculous. Console gaming is still thriving and it will be interesting to see how Sony plan the next few years for PS4 and the release of the PS5.

Oct 25, 2017
Same time period :

Hardware

Ps2 - 71M shipped.
Ps4 - 70.6M sold Trough (73.5M shipped?)

Software

Ps2 - 570M games shipped
Ps4 - 618M Sold Through

PS4 is destroying the King but why be a King when you can be a God?

The fact that it's keeping up with the PS2 is nuts.

PS2 will sell more in the end though I think.

We know PS2 stopped at about 150 mil.

What about software though? Where did that wind up?

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know overall record for consoles sold in 1 year? (is this it?)

Turbografx 16 maybe?

LuuKyK

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
It really is insane, good lord. Recaping on the titles yet to come: God of War, The Last of Us Part 2, Spiderman, Death Stranding, FFVII Remake, Monster Hunter, KH3, Ghost of Tsushima, Detroit, Shenmue 3, Dreams...

Not all exclusives, but all heavily tied to the PS brand. Considering the amout of consoles these games are going to move alone is kind of scary, and thats ignoring the third party deals like COD, Star Wars, RDR, etc... Really hard to predict where the PS4 sales are going to end at when its all said and done. The transition to the PS5 will be interesting, hopefully Sony doesnt mess up (really hard to imagine they even could but you never know).