• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 destroying all challengers. Switch bringing Nintendo from the grave. XB1X with superior gaming power only a PC 2x the price can match.

Console gaming isn't dead yet, and I'm loving it. I hope publishers and devs can be healthy alongside Sony and everyone else's success...

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
But how?

Its doing pretty well in america, and not too good in Japan. Are the sales in Europe just stupid high or something?

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
And this is without the permanent $199 price drop. I wonder if they would pull that next year or stick with that price during Thanksgiving/Black Friday holidays?

Depending on how the game is recieved, I'm willing to bet Spider-Man will be bigger than RDR2. Mainly because I believe Spidey is bigger worldwide than Western properties.
I think Spidey is going to accrue some insane amount of money. Those Elsa and Spider-Man viewers are surely going to take an interest in this game.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
The hardware figures feel impressive, with PS4 and now Switch making waves, but the industry still feels unhealthy and we see studios get shut down every week.

I see what your saying, though I feel its more to do with maximizing profits for shareholders then investing money in the industry.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
But how?

Its doing pretty well in america, and not too good in Japan. Are the sales in Europe just stupid high or something?

Europe > USA for Playstation for a while already, since PS3. Sony noted its rise and heavily invested in Europe during PS2.

Apart from Europe, Asian regions outside of Japan are doing OK and EMEA is also growing at a decent clip.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Quite impressive. Keep this momentum going and stay true to that creative DNA. It is of utmost importance.

OP
OP
Benji

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that the PS4's sales pace has increased at year 4 is ridiculous. Console gaming is still thriving and it will be interesting to see how Sony plan the next few years for PS4 and the release of the PS5.

Yeah its crazy, and frankly I don't think its impossible that 2018 comes close to matching 2017 either. Its highly possible we see a permanent $199 SKU launch next year and its exclusive lineup looks very impressive. Couple that with big hitters like Red Dead Redemption 2 coming and yeah. Things are looking damn good.

Peace

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
France
Wait until the PS4 Pro model - slim revision at 300$.

GTA6 (if it ever happens on this generation) and RDR2 will boost the sales even further.

OP
OP
Benji

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can it slow down next year with western hitters like RDR2, Spider-man, God of War etc? especially with permanent $199?

Yeah I think a permanent $199 sku is really the vital question in regards to if the PS4 hits similar numbers in 2018 as it did in 2017. We saw how strong demand is for the PS4 still at that price point over Black Friday week. If Sony launch an official $199 price point in late summer / early fall I think its possible next year sees similar numbers to this year. That's the key though

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure the Wii was doing well over 20m a year around 2007-9.

Didn't it sell ~26m one year?

Haven't looked it up, but it was something crazy like that.

Most of the Wii's 100m or so sales came in about three and a half years!

https://www.statista.com/statistics/349078/nintendo-wii-and-wii-u-console-sales/

Not sure how accurate this is, but it gives you an idea.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Hoping Sony realizes that with as well as this gen has done for them, they need to have full backwards compatibility with the PS5.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
PS4 pro doing what it was intended to do imo which is stop the decline in sales that usually starts to happen around this time in a generation.
Disagree - it will be the Slim that's getting the vast majority of sales. People buying this late in the generation are more bothered about price.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
In a previous PR they said that 1 in 5 or thereabouts PS4's sold is a Pro. That is since the Pro launched.

For this reason it's kinda hard to compare to PS3 and PS2 numbers because they never had a half-step console. They had revisions such as slim models but with the PS4 we have the slim and the Pro.

Disagree - it will be the Slim that's getting the vast majority of sales. People buying this late in the generation are more bothered about price.

You can also say that there are many people who have traded their old PS4's in for a Pro as 4k TV's are beginning to become more widespread.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious to know why do you think that? I'm not sure how popular the Red Dead series is around the world, but I do know that currently other forms of entertainment centered on the American Wild West is fairly niche worldwide, while Spider-Man is really big. I mean he is bigger than any DC and other Marvel character globally.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah its crazy, and frankly I don't think its impossible that 2018 comes close to matching 2017 either. Its highly possible we see a permanent $199 SKU launch next year and its exclusive lineup looks very impressive. Couple that with big hitters like Red Dead Redemption 2 coming and yeah. Things are looking damn good.
It is interesting they ditched the 500GB SKU because that could have been the easy $199 with no game choice. 2019 is probably when we see the 1TB hit $199, after being $249 in 2018.

I think PS5 will be 2020 but if it launches in 2019 we could see something like

2018: 1TB $249 / Pro $349
2019: 1TB $199 / Pro $299 / PS5 $399

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that the PS4's sales pace has increased at year 4 is ridiculous. Console gaming is still thriving and it will be interesting to see how Sony plan the next few years for PS4 and the release of the PS5.

Sony did amazing with the PS4. It is my favourite console in a while.

Having said that, they REALLY lucked out with Nintendo and MS shitting the bed in a spectacular way.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
That's not the point I am making. Of course the slim is the vast majority of sales. Let's say Sony sold 15 million last year. Instead of staying flat or selling like 14 million, it will sell something like 17 this year. I am attributing the extra 3 million to pro and saying that it is helping Sony show year over year growth instead of decline.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm curious to know why do you think that? I'm not sure how popular the Red Dead series is around the world, but I do know that currently other forms of entertainment centered on the American Wild West is fairly niche worldwide, while Spider-Man is really big. I mean he is bigger than any DC and other Marvel character globally.
All of this is true for Batman, and RDR outsold those games.

OP
OP
Benji

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Having said that, they REALLY lucked out with Nintendo and MS shitting the bed in a spectacular way.

For sure MS dropping the ball really helped PS4 momentum early on. There is no debate on that.

That said Sony have done a spectacular job of keeping that momentum, and not only keeping it but growing it. So while MS colossal fuck ups for sure played a role in this generation its really Sony's whole thought process and strategy around the PS4 all around all the way through today that is the real story

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I keep thinking the PS4 is going to slow down and then it just........doesn't.

I tell myself there is no way that 2018 can be up from 2017 but then you start to wonder if they will introduce a permanent $199 console at some point in the year and with that exclusive lineup......man I just don't know.

Yeah, I figured sales would have started declining this year but nope.

Might not even decline next year.

$199 with Spider-Man is going to be nuts. Especially with Infinity War coming out next summer.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, he ain't. Especially if you're using the often misunderstood merchandise comparison to try and make this argument. Both Iron Man and Batman are bigger media properties than Spider-Man. And in the video game industry, the Rockstar name as well as Red Dead 2 being a sequel to a very successful PS3/360 entry make it a bigger name in this market. Spider-Man will be fortunate to hit 5 million sold. RDR2 will double that with ease.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Some of you seem to have some really high expectations for Spider-Man. I agree it has the potential but I would go the safe route and say it sells around 8-10 million like uncharted.

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
Is Spiderman going to sell that much?

I know it's likely to be a step up from other Spiderman games in terms of quality, but they've not been huge sellers based on the popularity of the character/films have they?

OP
OP
Benji

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spidey has insane social metrics. If its a good game it will be really interesting to see how it sells. I for sure think 8 - 10 mil is in play IF its a high quality title. Either way 5+ mil is guaranteed imo

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017

Microsoft completely fucked up this gen. Xbox One could have been a much bigger success for them but nope. Now I'm not even sure they try to rectify their worldwide presence next gen and instead just try and hold onto the America's and UK.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
90% percent of those sales should be credited to Crash Bandicoot

Now bring back Spyro, Ape Escape trilogies in 2018 to sell 30 million Sony