• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Real talk, exclusives matter. As someone who owns both a Pro and an S the contrast this year is incredible.

Oct 27, 2017
For sure MS dropping the ball really helped PS4 momentum early on. There is no debate on that.

That said Sony have done a spectacular job of keeping that momentum, and not only keeping it but growing it. So while MS colossal fuck ups for sure played a role in this generation its really Sony's whole thought process and strategy around the PS4 all around all the way through today that is the real story

Completely agreed with this. The worldwide brand recognition helps a lot as well, and that recognition is due to all the work they put in to building that reputation.

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm loving my PS4 so far, it's a very deserved achievement (paid online aside). Hope next year the Switch is going to give it a run for its money.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter World too, which is full on exclusive in Japan. No way Sony kicks off the next gen (not saying they will be late either). I can see a lot of devs sticking with PS4 for a while too. Will it be the best selling console ever?

Very unlikely. It's just now reaching the halfway point to ps2's sales, that's how dominant ps2 was.

That doesn't mean ps4 won't be a legendary console by the time it's over. It should easily eclipse 100 million.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
Same time period :

Hardware

Ps2 - 71M Shipped.
Ps4 - 70.6M Sold-Through (73.5M shipped?)

Software

Ps2 - 570M Games shipped
Ps4 - 618M Sold-Through

PS4 is destroying the King but why be a King when you can be a God?
This is great news. This combined with the Switch's breakout success shows that the video game industry is in a very good place right now.

Oct 26, 2017
It hasn't even hit $199.99 yet...my God. I guess this gen could last as long, if not longer, than last gen. No real rush to move on to the next generation of consoles if the PS4 continues to sell at the rate that it currently is and with the mid generation upgrades only having recently come out. Even better that everyone else has found their footing

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
And the PS4 is still looking to have a great 2018 and I'm sure we'll learn about more stuff dropping in 2019. They'll reach 100 million sales easily.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony is eating right now. And with the 2018 they have on deck, they ain't slowing down.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Real talk, exclusives matter. As someone who owns both a Pro and an S the contrast this year is incredible.
Key word being exclusiveS.

One great exclusive won't shift the meter.

5+ good exclusives not only give you the edge but let you keep the momentum.

I would've hoped MS learned this lesson but given that they made the Xbox One X instead of investing in more studios, probably not.

GoldenKings

Oct 28, 2017
Make a good console. Put good games on it you can't play elsewhere. Sell lots of said console. It worked in 1985, it works in 2017. Congrats to Sony on the success.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
How did it fare against GTA SA?

NPD 2004 Top 10

1. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2) - 5.1 million
2. Halo 2 (Xbox) - 4.2 million
3. Madden NFL 2005 (PS2) - 3.2 million
4. ESPN NFL 2K5 (PS2) - 1.5 million
5. Need for Speed Underground 2 (PS2) - 1.4 million
6. Pokémon FireRed (with adapter) (GBA) - 1.2 million
7. NBA Live 2005 (PS2) - 1.2 million
8. Spider-Man 2 (PS2) - 1.1 million
9. Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox) - 1.1 million
10. ESPN NFL 2K5 (Xbox)- 1.0 million

Nothing could touch GTA back then.

Or now.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm loving my PS4 so far, it's a very deserved achievement (paid online aside). Hope next year the Switch is going to give it a run for its money.

No way. 2018 might be PS4's strongest year with the first party games like GoW and Spider-Man and 3rd party marketing deals Ike RDR2.

Oct 26, 2017
Key word being exclusiveS.

One great exclusive won't shift the meter.

5+ good exclusives not only give you the edge but let you keep the momentum.

I would've hoped MS learned this lesson but given that they made the Xbox One X instead of investing in more studios, probably not.
It's not as if they couldn't do both. They just either don't see the value in it, previous endeavors didn't work out, or they might feel it's too much of a risk. It's something they have to work on if they wanna be competitive next gen for sure though

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think the most impressive thing is how it's actually picked up pace this year. I personally had expected it to start showing small signs of slowing down this year, but it's gone the other way.

Just shows what I know.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Sony had a killer 2017, but 2018 is looking even better. A lot of their holiday exclusives were 40 dollar titles, which was a cool strategy. There will be a lot more 60 dollar titles next year, probably another 50-100 percent more install base for PSVR, and some ridiculous third party titles, if not exclusives.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think anyone is. I honestly kind of feel that people might be overselling it. It'll do crazy numbers for sure but I don't know if it'll do insanely well, like 15+ million or so. It's possible because it looks really good but I'm less confident in a number like that

Who is expecting 15+M for it? most people seem to expect 10M at best.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I keep thinking the PS4 is going to slow down and then it just........doesn't.

The exclusives are just too strong, and it just keeps getting hard hitters announced left and right.

This console is a goddamn beast. Buying one even today, you have a huge lineup of great titles to pick up, with another horde of them coming next year.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a great console. Solid amount of power and capability for a great price. When it drops to 199 next year with that games lineup, they are going to grow again. Plenty of life left in the PS4.

Shin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if it sells 10m per year from now till 2023 it will reach 120m
Anyone got PS1-3 numbers for the last 5 years before they got discontinued?

Oct 28, 2017
But how?

Its doing pretty well in america, and not too good in Japan. Are the sales in Europe just stupid high or something?

world wide sales man, in the quite months sony has been averaging like 1m consoles sold a month since it launched and its like still hasnt stopped. they have been nurturing a lot of markets (middle east, europe, etc) not just were they are stronger since last gen and it keeps paying off even more so with the ps4 when they are on top of their game

BroodShadow

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony is killing it, this year has been amazing for first party and 3rd party exclusives after last gen i was worried about Japanese support but with games like Nier,Persona and Monster hunter world coming soon I am happy that things improved.
I'm also glad we don't have to go through the whole consoles are dying arguments again here's hoping we have a smooth transition into the PS5 this time around.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
That's a hell of a turnaround from last gen for Sony.

They built a great system at a reasonable price and continue to support it with quality titles. As a gamer, you really couldn't ask for more.

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PS4 pro doing what it was intended to do imo which is stop the decline in sales that usually starts to happen around this time in a generation.
Usually? I know it's been awhile since PS1 and PS2 but this is usually the point in the gen where Sony kicks sales into over drive

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS4 pro doing what it was intended to do imo which is stop the decline in sales that usually starts to happen around this time in a generation.

That decline in sales never happened except for last gen. Console prices and game design stagnated as the PS3 and 360 gen went on waaay too long. Consoles are still dropping in price and because of the incredibly slow start to this gen AAA games are just now hitting their stride so game design hasn't stagnated. The PS2 slim significantly outsold the PS3 for years. The sales drop doesn't happen until the next gen console is already well established for most console generations. The PS4 slim revision that hits the magical $99 in two years is going to sell like gang busters.

Oct 25, 2017
We're also getting to that time in a console's life-cycle where the older/budget/casual return gamers tend to arrive, as the console price-point, cheap/wishlisted library is abundant. Happened around four years into xbox/ps2 360/ps3 life-cycle, too. Anecdotally, I had a bunch of facebook friend non-gamers show up on PSN asking to be friends right after Thanksgiving.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 needs to be $199 officially. I want to see how crazy sales would be for a year of that.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We're also getting to that time in a console's life-cycle where the older/budget/casual return gamers tend to arrive, as the console price-point, cheap/wishlisted library is abundant. Happened around four years into xbox/ps2 360/ps3 life-cycle, too. Anecdotally, I had a bunch of facebook friend non-gamers show up on PSN asking to be friends right after Thanksgiving.

This is also true, and interesting to note as well

Usually Nintendo is the one to swoop in to catch these guys in a feeding frenzy alone....but both the Base PS4 and the Switch are sitting at $299.

by the time it hits another price drop and all these previous blockbusters are sitting around $29-39.99 it's gonna reach "well why not" status and get another leap in sales

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they reduce the PS4 price to $199 next year I can see even higher numbers in 2018.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could 2017 be the peak? It would be absolutely nuts if 2018 was the peak. 3 years of sales around the 20 million mark per year is unheard of for consoles.