• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I have not played many games on my PS5 yet. In fact I only played Miles Morales and Genshin Impact on it. While Miles Morales, just as Spider-Man before it, seems to supersample automatically on 1080p TVs, I just noticed that a game like Genshin Impact does not automatically supersample and I actually am just getting a 1080p resolution image simply blown up to 4K. Here a comparison of the game on the two consoles and hooked to the same 1080p TV:

PS4 Pro, native 4K:
50071442972_5f19ba6aa6_o.png

PS5, 1080p (but blown up to 4K by the screenshot function):

50657157878_9dabe09daa_o.png

Both screens supersampled to 1080p and compared:

50660336347_c823019d8c_o.png

Added more comparisons to the thread:

50660486261_8573170714_o.png

50660578967_7186f2f873_o.png

Does this happen with all other PS4 and PS5 games too that don't automatically supersample on 1080p TVs?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
You may want to ask about it in this thread

www.resetera.com

PS5 Backwards Compatibility: All PS4 games with benefits Sony - Tech

INTRODUCTION This is a visual guide to how PS4 games play on PS5 via backwards compatibility. Almost all PS4 games run on PS5, but they're only listed here if video and/or screenshots have been analyzed for technical details. This list does not include PS4 games that have been upgraded to PS5...

Liabe Brave knows a lot and would probably also be interested in this data point on supersampling behavior.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they're forcing HDR for SDR games too. They're clearly not bothered about the best possible image quality for people.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Should I be preferring the look of the blurry first image? Because I prefer the second one, even if the edges are indeed harsher.

EDIT: I went full screen on my device and now they've flipped for me lol. SO NEVERMIND. I prefer the first one. The images were scaling weird on this when I first looked.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
Why didn't this get mentioned in seemingly any preview or review of the console?

Probably because they're all using 4k screens so wouldn't notice, and/or pixel counting old games which are supposedly known to run at 4k to see if they aren't when run on a 1080p isn't that interesting.

This thread is the best bet for finding information - https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps5-backwards-compatibility-all-ps4-games-with-benefits.322747/

I did think the general understanding was that PS5 was always presenting 4k as the display to the game and then the system would down sample to whatever resolution you pick.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
full resolution crops. this forum annoys me with how you need to click through a bunch of shit to view images full size

63RWqpo.jpg

1L1By3d.png

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
For everyone claiming they see no difference I am not sure if they are blind or trying to troll?
These are not zoom ins, but original/100% size comparions:

50658439617_f4757a4e8f_o.jpg

50658351936_2b3bf6c0d2_o.jpg

Look at the pixellation on her eyebrows. You need to zoom in.

Nope, just to look at it in original size.

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
You really should do the comparison with the latest version of the game running on both platforms. Where is that first picture taken from? is that from the beta?

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Do I really have to make a PS5 Supersampling Omissions OT?

Honestly, open it. I'm ready for round two.

People need to contribute more examples. I refused to buy any games last gen that didn't downsample on Pro. So I can't check other games that were notorious for that issue.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
I've just tried Assassins Creed Ezio Collection which according to this thread would only output 4k on a 1080p screen with the system level super sampling enabled, and yes it's only outputting 1080p on PS5 as far as I can tell from my screenshot. Also tried setting the PS5 performance choice to resolution mode and that didn't make any difference.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I've just tried Assassins Creed Ezio Collection which according to this thread would only output 4k on a 1080p screen with the system level super sampling enabled, and yes it's only outputting 1080p on PS5 as far as I can tell from my screenshot. Also tried setting the PS5 performance choice to resolution mode and that didn't make any difference.

Thanks for checking! Can you also provide the screenshots? :)

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Is this limited to certain games or only a few titles? Also does the setting in Game/App Settings to set quality over resolution mode do anything?

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I can easily tell the difference in those pictures. Not sure how obvious it is during gameplay though

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
i kind of like that they redesigned ui from scratch,
it feels fresh etc but it also really feels rushed for release,
with last gen functionality not being there day1, weird stuff like forced hdr tone mapping, missing basic features like vrr.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, that's really bad. PS5 firmware is really unfinished, a lot of (useful) features are missing from PS4/PS4 Pro.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
I hate to say it but this is par for the course now with Sony's OSes. PS4 launched missing a ton of features from PS3 (still the most feature rich OS they've ever made imo) and we're seeing the same thing again with PS5. I'm not the biggest fan of the Xbox UI but I do appreciate turning on my Series X and seeing something familiar and not taking a step back by losing application groups or something.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I guess Sony assumed (wrongly) most people would have a 4K with the PS5? Since this only impacts those with 1080p panels.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I noticed that there wasn't a SS option anymore but I didnt looked into it because I have a 4K TV now since the release of TLOU 2, but before that, let me tell you people again, super sampling was a f'n game changer for me.

Nothing has blown me away as much as super sampling in the last, idk, 15-20 years. Super sampling was the sole reason why I had an absolute f'n blast with console gaming in the last 3 years since the release of the Pro and then One X, cause if gaming had always one problem, even the most beautiful games, it always was aliasing. But super sampling, oh my god, turned almost all games into f'n art paintings with crystal clear 100% aliasing free picture quality, I had so much fun digging into games with Pro and X enhancements and enjoying the fuck out of the stunning picture quality on my 1080p TV.
People saying you need a 4K TV to benefit from these consoles, what's still partly happening today, can't be more wrong about it (Because of several reasons actually, it's not about f'n resolutions but even even that point is wrong thanks to SS)
Cause SS was an absolute system seller in my eyes, if I had to, looking back, I would have payed twice the amount for these consoles, cause I truly believe this was a huge part of why I enjoyed the last 3 years in gaming more than anything else in the last 20. It was just so satisfying and amazing to look at all enhanced games and seeing the magic of super sampling in motion, but also in screenshots.

To see that this isn't a thing anymore is absolute baffling and takes so so much away. Same with like 10+ other things that the console or OS makes worse now or is simply missing.

It's still working like always and like intended on Xbox as far as I know. That's one of the small positive things if you're not changing your OS while going into a new gen I guess.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
PS5's support in terms of this, Dolby Vision for 4k blurays, and similar things will be really telling. Hope they're dedicated to perfecting this as the choice platform cause its been a really buggy start

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ps5 not having this and the media server are easy wins that they let slip through their fingers

I'm really thinking I should have stayed my ass on ps4 pro sometimes.

Straffaren666

Mar 13, 2018
I have not played many games on my PS5 yet. In fact I only played Miles Morales and Genshin Impact on it. While Miles Morales, just as Spider-Man before it, seems to supersample automatically on 1080p TVs, I just noticed that a game like Genshin Impact does not automatically supersample and I actually am just getting a 1080p resolution image. For comparison, here's a PS4 Pro screen (with forced supersampling activated):

50071442972_5f19ba6aa6_o.png

Here's a screen of the game on PS5:

50657157878_9dabe09daa_o.png

Does this happen with all other PS4 and PS5 games too that don't automatically supersample?
To supersample in this context means the 4K framebuffer is bilinearly downsampled to a 1080p image which is then output to a 1080p device. The PS4 Pro screenshot is from a true 4K framebuffer saved as a 4K image, that's why it doesn't get pixelated when zoomed in. The PS5 screenshot is from a 1080p image upscaled to a 4K image, that's why it get's pixelated when zoomed in. This comparison is only meaningful when looking at the image in 1080p resolution and there is very little difference between the images when viewed as 1080p images. That's the expected behavior if the PS4 Pro screenshot is a from a 4K framebuffer and the PS5 screenshot is from a 4K framebuffer downsampled to a 1080p image.

Last edited:

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Is this limited to certain games or only a few titles? Also does the setting in Game/App Settings to set quality over resolution mode do anything?
This likely adheres to all of the games that also didn't supersample on PS4 Pro automatically, so quite many.
I don't know how it applies. In my BC thread I made an attempt to get together a group of people to do thorough testing, but it's tough to organize. I've definitely confirmed high res on some of these games from screenshots, but I don't know if the posters have 4K displays or not.