• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Tbh I didn't even know holding down the PS button to turn off the console was a thing on PS4. I always just used it to go to home, close the game I'm playing, then navigate to power options to put it in sleep mode, exactly the same as I do on PS5. It's never taken that long?

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I just moved the power button all the way left on the bar. All good here.
Yeah holding PS takes me to home menu so I don't need home menu icon there. Just replaced it with power and now its quicker than PS4. I've only had PS5 for a month and half and already do it instinctively.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
As someone who works with design and UX teams on the daily: "good" and "bad" are subjective, and the opinion of "enthusiast" circles and communities often don't even register on the radar of the general populace's thoughts, feelings, and more importantly: actions.

Anecdotal evidence from a small sample of a hardcore enthusiast forum and quantified engagement data are often at odds with each other, but of course people here would believe their idea of what is or isn't good "design" is what matters most.

In short: what people posting in this thread consider good or bad is myopic at the level of design decisions made by major console manufacturers. While the power down action requiring X additional inputs might lead to a user flow you personally are not fond of, the decision to put it there was not made in a vacuum, and it's hard to judge it when we don't know the criteria by which Sony is measuring success for their overall UI/UX.
I would put money down that this happened on the back of how discoverable power options are when behind a long press vs a tap.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I got used to the new way so much, I feel like it has always been this way.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Tbh I didn't even know holding down the PS button to turn off the console was a thing on PS4. I always just used it to go to home, close the game I'm playing, then navigate to power options to put it in sleep mode, exactly the same as I do on PS5. It's never taken that long?

Why would you close the game you're playing? The whole purpose of the sleep mode is that it "freezes" the game you're playing so you can continue where you left off in a matter of seconds.

It, basically, works like a phone (please don't tell me you're closing apps on your phone before you turn the screen off 🙂 )

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
PS4: Hold down the PS button on the controller, and three power options will appear.
PS5: Single press the PS button (not hold), press down, then press right 6-8 times, then click the power icon. Three power options (same as PS4) will appear.

It's not hard, but it's 1 click on PS4 vs 6 to 10 clicks on PS5 and a massive UX reversion IMO.

What am I missing?
Pressing left will wrap around to the far right. That'll save you 6-7 clicks, but yeah it's still dumb.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I love the answers that are basically "Well, yeah, it's in the wrong spot, but thankfully the awesome engineers at Sony gave us the ability to fix it and move it to the proper location"

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
It took me a few hours to stop my muscle memory from PS4 but after that it's been fine. It's probably quicker to access it with a single press than a hold if anything.

Though honestly, if it's *that* confusing, just use the power button on the console.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think it sucks ass and is distinctly inferior to previous approaches. YMMV ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
No other approaches allowed for the little pop out window to view media received or media captured without interrupting gameplay. But if that doesn't mean much to you among other improvements then not much else can be said :|

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
It was annoying at first but I got over it. Or I changed some settings and don't think about it anymore. They're not likely to change it at this point.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
No other approaches allowed for the little pop out window to view media received or media captured without interrupting gameplay. But if that doesn't mean much to you among other improvements then not much else can be said :|
That particular feature is totally uninteresting and useless to me, yeah. The whole menu in general is just a repetition of all the PS5's worst ideas — tiny interactive strip that leaves a mile of dead space above it that is only used for the dumb "cards" that I'd be happy to never see again.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
The response to these types of threads is always so bizarre. People are allowed to discuss minor inconveniences. Ironically, it's always the kneejerk defense force that is blowing things out of proportion.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That particular feature is totally uninteresting and useless to me, yeah. The whole menu in general is just a repetition of all the PS5's worst ideas — tiny interactive strip that leaves a mile of dead space above it that is only used for the dumb "cards" that I'd be happy to never see again.
The cards are an interesting case. I've forgotten about them 95% of the time but the 5% I've used them they've come in handy like quick traveling to side quests in Miles Morales or when the social system for invites and joining on Warzone 2.0 was broken at launch but the cards were working for those features.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
The UI/UX of this console is such a joke. I'd feel embarrassed for the design lead but I'm sure they're beholden to the whims of higher ups who have no interest in prioritizing intuitive design over whatever other metrics they're pursuing.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
This thread really has 5 pages

threi

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I haven't seen it mentioned here among the recommendations to move the power over to the right side, but unless im mistaken (and if I am please correct me - this is based on what i've experienced with my PS5 UI), the last control you have highlighted on that menu is remembered. That kind of makes the solution of moving the power control a bit useless if you interacted with that menu in any other way, since you have to reselect that power control from the currently highlighted icon. That means there is no consistent "button combo" to turn off the console, which to me is a bit of a design flaw. A simple remedy would be to not have the last icon remembered when you access that menu, but I assume Sony thought it would be annoying for users to rapidly access something in succession (i.e. the friends list)

I dunno 🤷🏾‍♂️

*edit*

Holding the dpad in one direction will prevent the selected icon from wrapping at the leftmost/rightmost icon so you could theoretically (if you keep power as the leftmost or rightmost icon) press the ps button > hold left or right (how long is variable) > press x twice. Again pretty awkward and contrary to pretty much every other consumer electronics device, but there is at least a bit of consistency.

Last edited:

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
I played a ps5 for the first time over the holiday and i'm pretty sure i just clicked left.

This is like that thread where people didn't realize you just had to press triangle to easily search for something on ps store.

Last edited:

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I turned on my PS3 yesterday for some nostalgia, and man do I still really love that interface. Can access damn near everything from that screen. I still don't understand why they abandoned it.

On a sad note, my PS3 isn't accepting disks any longer :(