• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's expensive, but damn it's fast.

PCI-E 4 is mighty impressive. While the price is high, it's bound to get cheaper in a few years when GPU's start coming on board with PCI-E 4, however you will probably need a dedicated X16 lane unless Motherboard M2 slots improve I guess.

In the benchmarks they we're seeing 13GB/S read's and wires.

Oct 25, 2017
México
User Banned (1 Week): Platform Warring; Accumulated Infractions
Nice. Can't wait.

What I find annoying about the PS5 SSD is people pretending that the XSX uses still a mechanical HDD or a slower technology, when in reality both have very fast SSDs.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
thats cheating
its just a raid device
PCIe4Controller.jpg

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Benchmark tests don't mean shit compared to real-world applications. Let's see how fast it runs when you load a game level.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice. Can't wait.

What I find annoying about the PS5 SSD is people pretending that the XSX uses still a mechanical HDD or a slower technology, when in reality both have very fast SSDs.

I mean it IS slower thats just a fact the I/O throughput of the Xbox drive is only 2.4 GB/s while PS5 is sitting at 5.4 GB/s the xbox drive is still plenty fast but the PS5 still beats it because of the custom I/O controller.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine having that thing installed and getting used to see black screens because all the people in Destiny 2 you get paired with, still use HDD's.

Seriously though, investing in a SSD is one of the best purchases I have done for my PC, just got a basic M.2 extra storage unit, but I'll save some cash for a beefier SSD later down the road.

Feb 23, 2019
Epic games was pretty clear that just the SSD speed alone wasn't the game changer with PS5

It's addressing the bottleneck all throughout the I/O as well

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
And so ps5's ssd had been technically beaten before it even releases. Of course its still cost prohibitive but even so.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Hadn't he made a video literally explaining that no matter the speed of the SSD, on the PC would there be an overhead (or something like that, I'm bad with technical terms) that would prevent using its maximum capacity?
Or is this solved in the video? (I can't see it now).

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Raid Devices are different than a single drive. Of course raid devices are faster.

Oct 29, 2017
That's the TRX40 board I've been looking into. I thought he was going to at least show if the Thunderbolt 3 was reliable, but alas.

Arkham

Nov 12, 2017
And how's the overall system I/O infrastructure with esoteric premium gear like that? There is no basis for comparison.

Lace

Oct 27, 2017
It would have been interesting to seem them show real world usage of the drive. Benchmarks are fun but what does a 5k system get you in game loading times compared to a regular SSD?

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
It's essentially a PCIe raid card with 4x2TB SSDs. You could have already done this and shown crazy theoretical speeds before this thing. The problem is nothing really handles that speed out there in real time use.

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
Well glad to hear the tech is here already. Just waiting for the price to come down. Is there some api or initiative from Microsoft that will let developers use this high through-put?

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
Nice. Can't wait.

First post and it's already console wars and persecution complexes.

This is going to be a looooooooong console generation.

Also, the original post and title are so full of selectively forgotten facts that a console wars derail can only make this discussion better.