• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stygian

Banned
Dec 11, 2021
Let me start by saying that I love the ps5 overall but one thing continues to irritate the shit out of me on a regular basis.
The stupid fucking stand they ship with it.
It has a couple of hooks that slide over the rear edge of the consoles bottom panel when using the system horizontally. That's it, there is nothing else at all to keep the stand attached to the system when it's being used horizontally.
The system is very easy to slide off the stand when you're plugging anything into the system either into the front or rear of the system. I have to hold the system steady with one hand while I plug or unplug anything into the system with the other hand. And half the time it still slides off of the stand anyway.
This is especially a pain in the ass for me personally because once a week or so I take the ps5 with me when I stay at my gfs place. Getting the stand back on and the system back onto my entertainment center shelf when I come home is always fun lmao!

1) Why couldn't have sony have designed the system with a flat bottom like 99.99 percent of all electronic devices ever made to fit on a tv stand ? Thus making a stand when using the system in horizontal orientation unnecessary to begin with ?
2) The stand is connected to the system via a small screw and screw hole on the side of the system which becomes the bottom of the system when using it vertically. This attaches the stand to the system securely when it's vertical. Why isn't there another screw hole to attach the stand securely to the bottom of the system when using it horizontally ?

It's enough of an issue for me that I'm considering buying a stand like this from amazon:

I welcome your thoughts on the ps5 stand.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
What in the world are you plugging in that this keeps happening?? I've never had this problem.

Also yeah this system clearly wasn't designed to be used horizontally.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
I've moved my PS5 plenty. Had changed from vertical to horizontal, back to vertical and back again.

Never had this issue. Sorry it's caused such grief for you though.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
it's a nightmare to get it successfully in my entertainment center. i've done it twice and i hope to never do it again until i change entertainment centers lol.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree that the stand in horizontal mode was annoying as duck, hated it when I had the machine any small adjustments to the placement of the machine and the stand would come off.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I actually really like the way the system looks horizontally in my entertainment center, but I agree the stands is a major PITA in that orientation (never had it vertical).

I'm contemplating adding some mounting putty or something in the center between the stand and the console to give it a better grip, or some double sided tape.

I also considered those Amazon stands, but they look horrible imo.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's a poorly designed console, for sure. Luckily I've been able to just place it horizontally in my entertainment cabinet and forget about it, I barely even have to look at the thing

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
It's a very difficult system to use horizontally, but at least once it's in place you don't have to move it anymore until the next time you take it to another room or on vacation or something

I was expecting the hooks to "snap in" rather than gently rest on it, it would solve a lot of the issues I think if it had a little bit more resistance

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realize how bulky the console is and how shitty the stand is when using it horizontally until I actually got the PS5. The stand is really annoying and cheap, but in terms of design Sony should really consider a significant redesign for the entire console whenever possible.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah it's weirdly terrible, every time I interact with it I wonder how they shipped it like that. My current set up basically requires having the PS5 horizontal, so not ideal.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be so jealous of the future PS5 design that people will get that isn't ugly as sin

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
It's not at all secure when horizontal, yeah. I've accepted it to be a purely vertical console and placed it on a side table.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I don't really have any thoughts on the PS5 stand.

I attached it when I got the console and have forgotten about it entirely. Mine is set horizontally and I've slid the console forward and back a couple of times in my TV stand to plug in an hdd and headset thing and had no issues with it staying on the stand.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
I attempted to fiddle with the stand at first, got annoyed with it, and now I just don't use it at all. Don't even know where it is.

May 14, 2021
Vertically it does an ok job for me. Horizontally it's just an idiotic design, and for some reason was louder than when vertical, so I put it vertically behind my TV so I wouldn't have to see it. Same with my X

NerevaRising

Oct 5, 2018
I haven't had any issues with it in either orientation other than a little wobbliness to the touch while horizontal, but it never slide off while plugin/unplugging cables or anything.
I also have the digital version, maybe it's more of an issue with the disc version

Arubedo

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 24, 2018
Morocco
Same with my PS5 horizontally, i really hate how the stand doesn't hold the console in a stronger way...

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Dr. Cerny: Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Vertical Life

Also, and I might be misremembering this, you are not supposed to put it up your ass.

Last edited:

panda-zebra

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Let me start by saying that I love the ps5 overall but one thing continues to irritate the shit out of me on a regular basis.
The stupid fucking stand they ship with it.
Have to agree. I bought one of those 2-part stands, too.

I don't have to move it often, but when my kid's friend comes around and they want to play Fortnite side by side I take it downstairs, and it's always a hassle to get seated in just the right spot through the narrow slit in my unit when putting it back. It's actually not sitting right on it as I type, I've looked over and the ps5's base is touching the unit on the right hand side and the stand's off to the left... blindly sitting it on that stand by reaching inside and not having it rotate but also line up with the 2 dimples for the 2 hooks is just clearly beyond me, lol.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have mine standing vertically. Very much a set it and forget it kind of thing for me. They certainly went for something with the design but they probably shouldn't have.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that shady stand we get with the PS5 is the reason I won't put it horizontally, it felt like it could slip easily and I'm already paranoid enough to deal with that.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
I hate it too. I switch between a TV and monitor in different rooms frequently and it's a pain in the arse.

Nov 1, 2017
The stand is utter rubbish. The PS5s that my workplace rents out to customers uses that exact 3rd party stand linked in the OP. Without it, clients would either let the system wobble horizontally (which risks scratching the discs) or place the entire system vertically without the stand, not realizing that the system will cook itself without the stand. It is an utter failure in design, something that is obviously going to be addressed in the inevitable future "slim" model of this system.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
It does have a flat bottom, if you install it correctly, vertically. Horizontal was definitely an afterthought, but I just put it on the bottom and left it. It's not like I have to move the thing around all the time.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Just embarrassing, I laugh a little every time I notice the system. I put some black panels on it and shoved it as far behind everything else as I could so it's not visible.

Anyway yeah I tried putting it horizontal once and it was even worse than vertical so back upright it went lol. At least in vertical the stand is screwed in.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm really looking forward to the PS5 slim. The PS5 hardware isn't bad, I just don't like the design.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
I keep mine vertical, set it up at launch and haven't even thought about it since.

The sliding sounds like the horizontal use of the stand isn't great, but I haven't tried. So maybe a third party option is the best way to go

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
It's weird because usually practicality is sacrificed in the name of good looks, and yet…

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Vertical user here. Never noticed it. Kind of janky but it works, design could have been better for sure.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Any console that needs a stand to lie horizontally is a poorly designed console. The fact that the stand is also a piece of shit that pops right off if you look at it wrong is just the cherry on top. This is the first launch console that I can't wait to trade in for the inevitable slimmed down redesign.

Oct 27, 2017
I too feel this pain. My TV stand has ventilation cutouts in the shelves, and these catch on the stand super easily and cause the console to slide off. Can't plug anything into the back without it happening.

Hopefully I won't have to do that too often, but yeah, the horizontal orientation should be much more sturdy than it is.

Teddie28

Nov 2, 2017
Yup horizontal is really awkward. The first time I set it up I couldn't believe that's how it was supposed to be.

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
I really hope they come out with a redesign sooner than later.

This thing is big and ugly as sin, and that stand ain't doing it any favors.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
Dr. Cerny: Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Vertical Life

Also, and I might be misremembering this, you are not supposed to put it up your ass.
Lol. Man, when the PS5 slim comes out, there are going to be record number of OG PS5s listed on EBay. Everyone is going to want to replace it.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
The PS5 stand is hot garbage and is actively worse than just laying the damn thing down. It's flimsy nature constantly kept making my PS5 slide out of it just by looking at it wrong. Definitly had to get a third party holder.