• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Typically I'm more of a lurker thank a poster but I find myself in a situation that has me pretty bummed and wanted to share my thoughts.

Like many of you I was absolutely in love with my Nintendo Switch. I got a day one release manufactured in 2016 with a screen produced by JDI. I'm a stickler for screen quality and after suffering through the infamous 3DS/iphone screen lotteries I was pleasantly surprised by how wonderful the Switch was built. To see an extremely high quality (not) :) laminated IPS display with minimal to no light-bleed or color shift, with a generous viewing angle on a Nintendo console was truly a wonderful breath of fresh air.

Now I'm not often a handheld gamer, but that thing that happens to Switch owners who realize how convenient it can be to play in between adulting, really started to change the way I thought about when and what I wanted to play. Suddenly I wanted everything on the Switch, prettier version be damned, portability was far more enticing a feature.

Now to get to the point. Two weeks ago after the 5.0 update the Nyko dock that I apparently should not have been using bricked my console. Graciously Nintendo offered to repair my unit under warranty. Yes I lost all my saves. And yes the unit I got back was in worse physical condition with looser fitting joycon than the one I sent them. But I thought hey, at least I didn't have to go and buy another console. But the screen. The screen had so much light bleed in the bottom right corner that it discolored even bright scenes.Not wanting to deal with another refurbished unit I decided to just go and buy a new Switch.

Now I know that Nintendo is using three companies to supply its screen's for manufacturing Switch, but I thought for sure they would have follow some quality minimum guidelines. I have bought and returned 3 new Switches over the last week. All of them have had terrible screens. They are still IPS screens but the viewing angle, color shift, light-bleed, and color reproduction not only varied wildly from unit to unit, but none of them were anywhere close to my initial unit what so ever. All of them looked lower bit and dithered, almost like a VA panel.

So yeah I'm so bummed. I was so high on the TV to portable life style, so into building my Switch library. A major factor to that was the quality of the product was so good that I could just let the tech disappear and enjoy the games. Now I find myself in a never ending search for a unit that was as good as what I had, and I don't really think that's going to happen. It's really off putting and is seriously making me consider just selling my switch and waiting for manufacturing to mature.

TLDR: Don't Use Nyko dock's (duh), Nintendo's Repair service kinds stinks, The Switch Screen Lottery is real now and launch units were so, so much better. And now I'm sad.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I mean, I still got an equally-good screen after my repair (I was a bit paranoid when I was notified about the new screen manufacturers) & Nintendo gave me scratch-free screen & back panels, so the repair service isn't all bad. But I can understand your gripes. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Last edited:

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I agree but I think this is the price we pay for the Switch becoming so popular.
For Nintendo to manufacture more, they need to reach out to other suppliers. Mine is not as good as my launch version but I just don't care anymore.
I used to stress out with nearly everything with a screen trying to get the perfect one but I refuse to do that anymore.
I'm happy with what I have and I just move on from it. I just wish Nintendo had the same pull as Apple, my iPhone X screen is fantastic.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sucks about losing your saves too. Seriously, what the fuck is going on at Nintendo that they continue to think its OK for that to be the case? As for the screens, I took back two Switches before I got one with an acceptable screen. It sucks, but ever since the PSP, pretty much ever handheld I've bought has been a crapshoot.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is the absolute worst when it comes to screens. I noticed such a horrible variety of screen issues with the many DS and 3DS I purchased and my family purchased.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry you had some unfortunate luck, especially with Nyko. That has been an issue since last year and I'm surprised they haven't been recalled? I know Nyko was offering replacement Switches.

Screen lottery is a thing everywhere, and not exclusive to Nintendo. You could request a different Switch because of the panel, Nintendo service is top notch.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo makes amazing games that play on cheap plastic garbage-tier hardware.

You can get an iPad for $330 that is light-years ahead in build quality than the Switch or 3DS. Nintendo hardware quality is just not acceptable in 2018.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Sounds like you just had some really bad luck. At least 5 friends of mine bought a Switch this year, and I've seen the screens for all 5. They're all exactly like my launch unit.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I compared in person my screen (launch unit) with Charlie 's (recent unit) and they were wildly different. My colors were super cold and his were super warm. I claimed the whites in his screen were too yellow and he claimed mine were too blue. In the end it was a matter of being used to different color calibrations, which by the way could fixed on the software side if Nintendo simply bothered to include an option to choose between colder colors, regular (current setting), or warmer colors, to compensate the screen calibration. Google did this with the Nexus 5X, some screens were waaaaay too warm and they just included a "colder colors" option in an update.

Sucks to read some are now having light bleed and stuff like that though. That's much worse and not fixable via software. :/

You can get an iPad for $330 that is light-years ahead in build quality than the Switch or 3DS. Nintendo hardware quality is just not acceptable in 2018.
Drop both of these devices to the ground and tell me which device survived and why it wasn't the iPad.

Plastic screens feel cheaper but it's way more durable when dropping it, which is important for kids. Also, if you put a tempered glass protector you get the best of both worlds: Glass feeling, won't scratch, if you drop it the protector will break but the screen won't, replace protector, done.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I agree this sucks but isn't this the same for all screens? Whether that be portable consoles, monitors or TV's. It's always a panel lottery and that's even with panels made by the same company. It just sounds like bad luck to me as I've seen screens purchased within the last month that are basically the same as mine which is a launch console.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia

You can get an iPad for $330 which is lightyears ahead in build quality than the Switch or 3DS. Nintendo hardware quality is just not acceptable in 2018.
Huh, I don't know what are you talking about. Switch is light years ahead in build quality compared to 3DS, my launch unit is pretty much in perfect shape.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Are people's screens still getting scratched in the dock? I have no screen protector and haven't noticed any scratches.

Nov 4, 2017
I got a Switch for Christmas last year. While the screen looks perfectly fine, I noticed there is a slight yellow tint to it when I first tried to play BotW in handheld mode (I'm like 98% docked player, don't care too much). I googled around, and found that the yellow comes from adhesive used in the screen and that it just needs to be "broken in". It doesn't appear to be as yellow any more, so I guess it's working. After some of the stories I have heard, I feel like I have been fortunate (I won the 3DS screen lottery too, whew). I'm in Australia though, where the Switch never seemed to sell out (or much at all), so I don't know if I have an early model that sat in a warehouse/stock room for a while, or a more recent build.

How do you check who made your Switch/screen?

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for what happened to you, by the way, I know two billion Switch owners who never got this issue, I know this fact contributes nothing to your topic but just saying!

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

That is not the general consensus at all. Most Switches I've seen, used and heard talked about are given very positive feedback as far as the hardware is concerned.

OP had a bad situation really, and I'd like to think that we won't see a 3DS screen situation again but who knows. It's definitely not 'garbage-tier' or 'unacceptable in current year' though...

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised if that's the case considering how rubbish the 3DS panel lottery was.
I agree this sucks but isn't this the same for all screens? Whether that be portable consoles, monitors or TV's. It's always a panel lottery and that's even with panels made by the same company. It just sounds like bad luck to me as I've seen screens purchased within the last month that are basically the same as mine which is a launch console.
Yes, to a certain degree there is always going to be a bit of a panel lottery, but I don't think it's to the extreme that Nintendo has often been doing. The fact that it was RNG whether you got a superior IPS panel or TN panel in a 3DS is quite frankly ridiculous. Even worse that sometimes you could get a mix between the two screens, ie IPS top, TN bottom or vice versa. You should not be getting that much variation when buying a product in my opinion. At the very least we should be getting the same panel type in the same model, and the IPS panels maybe should be saved for the better model or something. More over, colour calibration is less of an issue with say a TV or a Monitor since you can do it yourself. Nintendo doesn't offer that, so you're stuck with whatever colour temperature they decided on in the factory (which is often not a standard judging by everyone saying their calibrated screen looks different).

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Yeah, whenever you buy a Nintendo console you're rolling the dice when it comes to build quality. My first 3DS, an Animal Crossing SE 3DS XL had some extremely strong hinges, so strong that the plastic around the hinges eventually all broke and I had no other option than to super glue it. My second 3DS, a 2DS XL has light bleeding in many places since day one and Nintendo says it's normal.
How do I check when was my Switch manufactured and what kind of screen it uses? I bought it early 2018, but being a European version I suppose it might be different from US ones.

Clix

Banned

Okay, can we all stop with the "in current year" nonsense?

Seriously, this is hyperbolic. The build quality of the Switch is solid. Cheap garbage tier? Yeah, no.

Screen lottery sucks, but it's an unfortunate part of having more than one supplier to meet demand. Apple goes through this with the iPad (just see any Apple forum), I had to exchange my high end Samsung plasma for a new one a few years ago because I was not satisfied with the screen, etc, etc.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I hate panel lotteries. Going through with that on my new Samsung TV which has light bleed and dead pixels. I should probably just return it but not sure how easy it will be to replace with new one since it is a discontinued 2017 model I got on steep discount, sigh. I didn't immediately get in on it and replace it because I'm dealing with a protential life threatening illness with my kitty so a defective screen just didn't seem important.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if the Super Mario Odyssey bundles came with IPS screens, more often than not?

julian

Oct 27, 2017
That sucks. Where did you buy each? I imagine they send them out in batches so if you wanted the chance at a different screen your best bet might be buying online from different retailers.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The fact that it was RNG whether you got a superior IPS panel or TN panel in a 3DS is quite frankly ridiculous

I do agree that different types of panel is far worse and TN should only have been used in a cheaper revision where the product description specifically states that it's got a TN panel. I guess with the screen resolution and graphics of the 3DS Nintendo probably thought that people wouldn't really notice. The Switch is using all IPS panels though (at the moment) so this isn't an issue.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, can we all stop with the "in current year" nonsense?

Seriously, this is hyperbolic. The build quality of the Switch is solid. Cheap garbage tier? Yeah, no.

Screen lottery sucks, but it's an unfortunate part of having more than one supplier to meet demand. Apple goes through this with the iPad (just see any Apple forum), I had to exchange my high end Samsung plasma for a new one a few years ago because I was not satisfied with the screen, etc, etc.

Agreed. The in this current year stuff is annoying and doesn't add anything to the conversation.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Nintendo Switch might be remembered as the best Nintendo console of all time but also the weakest one when it comes to build quality.

Part of this obviously comes to its modular nature (lots of moving parts inevitably mean things that are going to break eventually), but even stuffs where they used to be the best like the D-Pad are now the worst.

It's my only complain of an otherwise god-like console.

Ironically as bad as the Wii U was, its overall build quality was much much better.

OP
OP
Prometheus Zero
Oct 25, 2017
That sucks. Where did you buy each? I imagine they send them out in batches so if you wanted the chance at a different screen your best bet might be buying online from different retailers.
Gamestop, different stores, but probably all from there current supply.

Also to those asking how you find out your Switches screen manufacturer, I only know i had a JDI panel on the launch unit because they were the only supplier for Nintendo's initial 2016 order.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
While cheap garbage tier is definitely an over-exaggeration, I think solid is also one... It's not great if you ask me. I've had far more issues with the Switch than any other handhelds I've bought on launch. I've had to send it in once because I encountered the power button crack issue. I got it back with it fixed and saves intact but now my screen is protruding a bit in the top right corner. Never mind the fact one of my joycons pops out without unlocking it, which is baffling to me when I don't even take the joycons out.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I have a launch day Switch, but this makes me sad. I hope I never have to rebuy the console, and/or that Nintendo fixes this in time.

I hope the lesson Nintendo takes away isn't that consumers don't care about screen quality that much.

this story sounds anecdotal

Sure, but the guy also went through a total of four Switches without finding a screen as good as his launch model. That would be some pretty bad luck.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Does anyone know if the Super Mario Odyssey bundles came with IPS screens, more often than not?

? They're all IPS the OP is referring to build quality (light bleed is the effect of the backlight being visible in corners that aren't completely sealed) and color calibration issues.

detrenvi

Jan 14, 2018
I hate to break it to you OP, but the Switch does not have laminated displays. This is not a unit by unit display variance, all Switch units are designed with a gap between the LCD panel and the plastic digitizer. Most likely this is for easer repairability, but it does cause significant reflections and glare with ambient lighting.

Switch panels have been generally high quality, but they also all seem to suffer from LCD inversion artifacts upon a cold start. These manifest as horizontal "scan lines" across the display of it has been powered off for a few hours. Luckily, they fade away completely after about 30 minutes of usage which isn't always the case with LCD displays. They show up most notciably with darker shades of color, such as when using the dark menu theme. My launch unit and three subsequent replacement units have all had this artifact, as have about a dozen other Switch units I've checked from friends and family. (some of which swore to no end that they didn't exist until I pointed them out in person)

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Nintendo is the absolute worst when it comes to screens. I noticed such a horrible variety of screen issues with the many DS and 3DS I purchased and my family purchased.
Yep. Same for me. I bought a 3DS XL excitedly for the bigger screen despite knowing it would retain the pixel density of a 240x400 image, but man, the one I got despite luckily being IPS and not TN (like the n3DS I got later) with good viewing angles, was completely YELLOW-TINTED. I looked it up online and was told this might fade away but as time went very little changed and there was a super noticeable difference between the color tinting of the top and lower screens where everything looked more like Sepia on the top screen.

And like OP says, you can't just return it. If I had returned my XL back in the day, I would've probably gotten a replacement with better color temperature but then it might've been TN with crap viewing angles.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
this story sounds anecdotal

Yeah - i kinda thought this thread would be about collected data suggesting that the quality is getting worse with every revisions or anything.

Two friends of mine but the Odyssey bundle with the red joycons last Christmas and their systems/screens looked just fine compared to my launch unit.

Clix

Banned
While cheap garbage tier is definitely an over-exaggeration, I think solid is also one... It's not great if you ask me. I've had far more issues with the Switch than any other handhelds I've bought on launch. I've had to send it in once because I encountered the power button crack issue. I got it back with it fixed and saves intact but now my screen is protruding a bit in the top right corner. Never mind the fact one of my joycons pops out without unlocking it, which is baffling to me when I don't even take the joycons out.

I mean, that is unfortunate. I know the feeling after my issues with my last iPad mini. But I would also say the iPad mini is solid in its build. I just got had shit luck. I mean, anything that is mass produced is going to have lemons on the line and they're hard to avoid. But when I say solid, is that most people have had no issues. People who don't have issues also don't start threads on issues, because what would be the point of that?

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

The build quality has been tested extensively (many youtube vids out there) and seen to be very good. No product is without issues especially in the first months of production. Both PlayStation and Xbox consoles have had their faults.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a comparison between screens of different batches? Can someone please post it? I'd like to show it to a friend.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that is unfortunate. I know the feeling after my issues with my last iPad mini. But I would also say the iPad mini is solid in its build. I just got had shit luck. I mean, anything that is mass produced is going to have lemons on the line and they're hard to avoid. But when I say solid, is that most people have had no issues. People who don't have issues also don't start threads on issues, because what would be the point of that?
The build quality has been tested extensively (many youtube vids out there) and seen to be very good. No product is without issues especially in the first months of production. Both PlayStation and Xbox consoles have had their faults.
The thing is though, all three of those issues aren't unique, you can find countless of examples of them across reddit, and even here. There was a thread only a few months ago of someone complaining about the power button crack issue.

While I will admit I was probably unlucky to experience all three, I do think these issues stem from some questionable design choices. Fortunately the word is that the power button cracking issue doesn't really happen on more recent consoles, so hopefully they're learning.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017

What the hell is this comparison? This is legit not true other than the iPad using a glass screen. Plastic is sometimes the better choice for certain components in a gaming device like the Switch. The materials they use for the iPads are much more prone to scratching over time. The new $330 iPad doesn't even have a laminated screen like the iPads before it. The iPad also not a gaming device so this isn't a legitimate comparison.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Did you ask them if they'd replace the screen under warranty, since you were dissatisfied with your replacement? When I recently sent mine in for repair under warranty, they said it was policy to extend people's warranty for 100 days after being serviced, and I'd think they would cover noticeable screen defects.

I just don't see why you'd buy a whole new one.

Cryxok

Oct 27, 2017
México
I noticed that as well when I bought one for my now-ex during black friday. It definitely felt cheaper compared to mine, which I bought at launch. I can also attest to Nintendo's repair being not a good idea. I had a Fire Emblem Awakening LE 3DS. Sent it for repairs... they sent me a new unit which was a basic black model.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
My EU Mario Odyssey bundle one, bought in november, has perfect colors and and contrast compared to a calibrated Ultrasharp monitor.
Edit: Oh, and the Nintendo Switch's screen is NOT laminated. The touchscreen simply sits on top, there is a visible gap.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The thing is though, all three of those issues aren't unique, you can find countless of examples of them across reddit, and even here. There was a thread only a few months ago of someone complaining about the power button crack issue.

Just like there's multiple examples of issues with other consoles. Disc read errors, thumbsticks wearing away, RROD etc... And again if you went to Apple forums or Samsung, you'll find plenty of common hardware issues too.

OP
OP
Prometheus Zero
Oct 25, 2017
but the Switch does not have laminated displays.
Switch panels have been generally high quality, but they also all seem to suffer from LCD inversion artifacts upon a cold start. These manifest as horizontal "scan lines" across the display of it has been powered off for a few hours. Luckily, they fade away completely after about 30 minutes of usage which isn't always the case with LCD displays. They show up most notciably with darker shades of color, such as when using the dark menu theme. My launch unit and three subsequent replacement units have all had this artifact, as have about a dozen other Switch units I've checked from friends and family. (some of which swore to no end that they didn't exist until I pointed them out in person)

Interesting. Thanks for that. I had not heard of LCD Inversion artifacts before. Explains exactly what I was seeing with these new switches and what I was describing as a lower bit look to them. For Whatever reason the effect just seems a bit more pronounced than the launch unit I had. ( actually I just compared the current one I have to a friends launch unit, and yes its a big difference, but it does indeed fade away upon use.) Still though viewing angle and light bleed are much worse.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
My brother bought a Switch last week and yeah, compared to my launch unit, it's not the same quality.
I feel you OP.