• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
So.... I just want to say something, and get it off my chest.

This Smash Ultimate Leak has really been terrible, and it has truly brought out the worst in the internet, and the worst of even people here. So, since the leak has gone by, all of the music has been leaked, story spoilers and cut-scenes have been leaked, possible DLC choices have been data-mined.

As somebody who wants to go into Smash Ultimate fresh, especially in regards to the World of Light mode, it has been utterly exhausting and crippling being on the internet at all. But I know at any moment, a person, or an algorithm could spoil me and spoil the story. But it is not even that. Those things, are to be expected. These leaks happen all the time, and it is to be expected.

The worst ramification of this, is that people are illegally downloading and pirating the game, and that is the only way to play Smash Ultimate, is piracy. Not only that, but people who are pirating the game are masquerading as people who got "early review copies"

This has been truly horrible, and such an egregious way to "leak" a game, spoil the game for the rest of us, damage the name of journalism. I really hate that I cannot share my thoughts on the game, or read up on threads for fear of getting spoilers. It is horrible that these people are getting off and away with this, all within the name of piracy. People are certainly welcome if they get a game early, and everything. That is certainly on retailers, but for other people to get the experience early via piracy is just awful.

Really, these pirates are profiting off of Youtube footage and coverage of it, and are getting the benefit of the game being early. It is really head scratching and astounding that this is morally okay.

I am very sorry this is more of a rant, and/or is redundant. I just wanted to put my thoughts out there, and feel free to lock this thread if so.

TLDR; Piracy is absolutely horrible, and the fact that piracy is happening and are benefiting from this over paying customers is even more horrendous.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't see anything different compared to other leaked games. But yeah, piracy sucks.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Dont see how it's different from any other leaked game

Oct 27, 2017
Hope they enjoy their permanent system and Youtube channel bans when the game is officially released. I'm sure it was "worth" it for the 15 minutes of internet fame, I guess

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I can just imagine Sakurai's office flooded with bitter, demonic laughter.

"See? This is why I don't put story in my games. Because you idiots will just leak it and spoil it anyways!"

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I've spoiled a bunch for myself, but I purposely looked for spoilers. Where are people posting unmarked spoilers that it has been crippling and utterly exhausting to browse the internet?

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Piracy is gonna happen no matter what. Not really worth being upset over unless you worked on the game or something.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know why Smash fans off all things are freaking out with this, not even with Zelda or Mario (games where spoilers are more relevant) I saw this kind of outrage

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I just hope the original people who ripped and uploaded the game online get busted for it .

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who doesn't care about smash, I have made no attempts whatsoever not to have the game spoiled and have not been spoiled at all. I think your concerns are overblown and/or you're intentionally going places where you might encounter spoilers, which is like playing Russian roulette

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Totally agree, streaming pirated copy is really disrespectful. I don't really mind the datamine but bragging for playing a pirated game is just the worst.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I have to plead ignorance here, but what's even available to leak in this game? I feel like they've described, in agonizing detail, every single aspect of this game over the past few months.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been hanging around a lot of Smash heavy places on the internet and haven't had any trouble with spoilers. Really hasn't bothered me.

It sucks, but we already knew the roster and the music would all be dumped day one anyways. Story spoilers are the only issue, and while I'm sympathetic for anyone that steps on a landmine there... story is such a miniscule part of the Smash experience that, of all the Nintendo games that could leak early, I think Smash Ultimate might be the least harmful.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see what's different about this leak than any other leak of a majorly anticipated game.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I've avoided all spoilers so far. If you're getting spoiled it's probably because you're actively looking for them, same as any other game that gets leaked.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
You actively have to try to find these spoilers.

I haven't seen jack shit and I'm on this board constantly.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
You should get used to this. This is going to repeat for every big Nintendo game in the future.

Smash (thanks to it being a fighting game) should be the least of your concerns. For history-based games, oh boy.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been pretty easy for me to not see any spoilers as I don't really care that much about the game. I only knew there was a leak at all from the ridiculously huge thread on here about it but I've not looked in it to see what it's all about.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know why Smash fans off all things are freaking out with this, not even with Zelda or Mario (games where spoilers are more relevant) I saw this kind of outrage
were these game leaked "illegally" 2 and half weeks before they released it?

It's been pretty easy for me to not see any spoilers as I don't really care that much about the game. I only knew there was a leak at all from the ridiculously huge thread on here about it but I've not looked in it to see what it's all about.
Of course Captain Obvious

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't quite understand your issue...
It's not that hard not to read stuff. I don't care for smash and I know next to nothing about Ultimate, despite being on Era every day. It's not rocket science

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know about exhausting and crippling, I've been on the internet and here all week and habvent had any Smash stuff spoiled. Guess I could see twitter/yt being a problem, but that's every major release.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao I can't believe a game getting leaked could get someone so upset yet here we are. How about staying away from forums if it's messing you up so badly.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I imagine not only will they get busted, so will whatever distributor or mom & pop store they got them game from early.
I'm not even sure the mom and pop stores were the cause of this whole leak tbh. None of the ones around me in Los Angeles were even close to acquiring copies when this whole thing went down.

OP
OP
Lozjam

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Piracy is gonna happen no matter what. Not really worth being upset over unless you worked on the game or something.
Piracy is a huge problem, and yeah. It is going to happen no matter what.

My problem is that pirates are benefiting from pirating because they:
1. Get the game free
2. Get to play the game early
3. Get to profit off of early footage
4. Get to spoil the game for everyone else

While I am a person who paid my share for the game, I have the opportunity to be spoiled by pirates, and have an inferior experience because of them. They get to experience the game first, they get to experience free, and they get to spoil it. So really, that is the problem moreso than piracy. And really. This has brought out the worst in the internet.
I really don't see anything different compared to other leaked games. But yeah, piracy sucks.
It really isn't, but I just wanted to take the opportunity and just say how this has affected me, and it something currently going on.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I've managed to avoid stuff but I'm sure I'll open Twitter at some point in the next week or so and be blindsided by something.

It doesn't matter much compared to story focused games where the spoilers actually actively bother me while playing, but in a game where they already removed some of the surprise by having no hidden characters (even if the early Japanese release date of 4 meant that was a surprise experienced by proxy), I would like a little surprise left.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Stay away from threads related to Smash and don't Youtube Smash related stuff and wait for it to come out and you won't be spoiled.

It's not that big a deal really.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Meh. Caring about smash spoilers seems so silly. Piracy is rampant, don't super care about one more game being pirated. This has been the way it is for decades.

Patazord

Dec 14, 2017
As someone who doesn't care about smash, I have made no attempts whatsoever not to have the game spoiled and have not been spoiled at all. I think your concerns are overblown and/or you're intentionally going places where you might encounter spoilers, which is like playing Russian roulette

This is me too , I didn't enter the smash leak thread or looking ofr any info and i didn't get spoiled a single thing in the game. This is not the first time a game get leaked early with spoiler you now.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
The reaction to this is overblown. It's like y'all just starting gaming.

Also, it's not hard to not spoil yourself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.