• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The place to be for all discussion related to GoldenEye 007, Perfect Dark, and Perfect Dark Zero!!

(GE/PD screenshots are emulated)

--------------------------------------

ge_logo7jr2p.jpg

Platform: Nintendo 64

Format: 96 megabit (12 megabyte) cartridge

Release dates: Aug. 23rd, 1997 (Japan) / Aug. 25th, 1997 (North America) / Nov. 6th, 1997 (Europe) [Source: NinDB]

Initially in development for the SNES, then on the Nintendo 64 as an on-rails shooter, GoldenEye 007, in its final form as a free-moving first-person shooter, was a revelation. At the time, FPSes on consoles had seen muted success compared to their juggernaut PC brethren such as Doom and Quake. But not only did GE prove the genre could work beautifully with a controller, it showed it could provide more than just mindless blasting and rudimentary puzzles.

ge_taser9dowc.jpg

Fully-realized worlds that felt like you were in a movie. Objective lists that grew as you increased the difficulty. Mission-critical NPCs that needed to be protected. Cameras and alarms that needed to be destroyed lest they summon a swarm of guards to your position. Varying reactions and amounts of damage depending on what part of an enemy you hit. And oodles of wild cheats unlockable by beating mission target times.

ge_cheatskbqgx.jpg

But as engaging and immersive as the missions were, the multiplayer was the real hit, and the reason GE became a system seller for the Nintendo 64. Added late in development by Steve Ellis, the four-player splitscreen utilized compact, easy-to-learn maps, quick movement, a huge roster of characters including classic Bond villains and Rareware staff members, addictive weapons like Proximity Mines and the Golden Gun, and a variety of gametypes in the event players needed a break from standard deathmatch. Moments like the Facility, Slappers Only, cheating with Oddjob, and tense duels in the cramped Archives have become engrained in the gamer consciousness.

ge_multivqqrs.jpg

The GE community continues to celebrate and dig into the game. Speedrunners have acheived insane feats such as beating every mission on max stats (and done the same in Perfect Dark!), and hackers have discovered things like a hidden test stage, a hidden ZX Spectrum emulator, and button codes to quickly unlock missions, cheats, and a hidden "Line Mode" effect. Most impressively, using the GoldenEye Setup Editor tool, modders have created a plethora of new maps and missions for the game, and even ported GE assets into the Perfect Dark engine!

Weapons

. PP7 PP7 (Silenced) DD44 Dostovei Klobb

. KF7 Soviet ZMG 9MM D5K Deutsche D5K Deutsche (Silenced)

. Phantom AR33 RC-P90 Shotgun

. Automatic Shotgun Sniper Rifle Cougar Magnum Golden Gun

. Silver PP7 Gold PP7 Moonraker Laser Grenade Launcher

. Rocket Launcher Taser Hunting Knife Throwing Knife

. Unarmed (Slapper) Watch Laser Tank Gun

. Timed MIne Proximity Mine Remote Mine

. Grenade

Bonus screenshots

Resources

GE/PD speedrunning records at the-elite.net
GoldenEyeForever.com (featuring the Shooters Forever forums)
GoldenEye X (the PD engine port project)
Goldeneye Vault, your source for GE mods of all shapes and sizes. (archived; now part of N64 Vault)
GoldenEye: Decoded (excellent archive of development and promotional materials)
GE 20th anniversary panel
Interview with GE's director, Martin Hollis (not to be confused with the director of the movie, Martin Campbell)
GE postmortem with Martin Hollis
A talk by GE dev team member David Doak
How to play GoldenEye online via Kaillera (help forum)
Awesome Japanese GoldenEye commercial
Pierce Brosnan plays GE multiplayer with Jimmy Fallon
Promotional renders
Cancelled Xbox 360 port (original leak)
The soundtrack (composed by Graeme Norgate and Grant Kirkhope)

pd_logo9tsg7.jpg

Platform: Nintendo 64

Format: 256 megabit (32 megabyte) cartridge

Release dates: May 22nd, 2000 (North America) / June 29th, 2000 (Europe) / October 21st, 2000 (Japan) [Source: NinDB]

Though offered the opportunity to develop a game based on the next Bond film, Tomorrow Never Dies, the team felt they had spent enough time in the Bond universe. Borrowing elements from sci-fi and pop culture such as La Femme Nikita, Blade Runner, The Fifth Element, Ghost in the Shell, The X-Files, Independence Day, The Matrix, and RoboCop, Perfect Dark (Japanese pre-release title Red and Black) expanded upon GoldenEye 007 by leaps and bounds in nearly every aspect, and pushed the Nintendo 64 hardware to its absolute limit.

pd_cassandra1dso2.png

The art style is a stunner, with its intense colours compared to the mostly grey GE, slick chrome surfaces, piercing light sources, and techno-industrial designs. The visual effects are also an absolute treat, such as the blur motion when stunned or poisoned, electronics shooting out sparks when damaged, gunfire and explosions strobe-lighting hallways, and the ability to shoot out light sources and dim the surroundings (an early concept for the game focused heavily on light and dark mechanics, though this was reduced to just a few setpieces because of hardware limitations). The characters have noticeably higher poly counts this time as well. It's no wonder the additional 4 megabytes of RAM provided by the Expansion Pak was required to access nearly everything aside from 2 player multiplayer.

pd_crashsitef7p8f.png

A slew of new mechanics were added as well. Secondary functions on every weapon (each weapon also has its own cool reload animation). Disarming. Night vision. X-ray vision. Fly-by-wire rockets. And the CamSpy, a little drone that goes places too small or too dangerous for Joanna Dark (also available in explosive and tranquilizing variants).

pd_pinballdzr0p.jpg

So many great little bits of immersion too. Enemies dodging and rolling, their guns jamming, being able to shoot the guns from their hands and them pulling a backup on you, and shooting them in the leg and watching them drag it around with bits of blood dripping behind it. Not to mention being able to shoot ammo boxes around, snipers falling dramatically from their perches, certain actions persisting between levels (such as placing a mine for an escape route and dropping a vehicle from a plane), and of course, the Carrington Institute training area, with its firing range, detailed bios for every character, location, weapon, and device, and its surly/goofy/bathroom deprived employees. ^_^

pd_lxi5oq7.jpg

But as spellbinding as the alien worlds, corporate intrigue, and hostage crises of the single player are, the multiplayer...flippin' heck, the multiplayer. You want the kitchen sink? How about the factory that makes 'em!!!

pd_multi5jue9.png

6 scenarios. 13 winding, sprawling, multi-storey maps along with 3 remastered GE maps. 33 weapons and 4 utilities assignable to any of 6 weapon spawns per map. Up to 8 "simulants" (for a total of 12 players on any map), a.k.a. bots, with adjustable difficulties and personalities, and able to accept commands from the team. Highlightable pickups, players, and teams. Single-digit time and score adjustment. 30 challenges. Detailed player statistics. Custom soundtrack playlist. Interchangeable character heads. And a plethora of control and HUD options. Not even the heaviest hitting modern AAA FPSes have been able to cram in this much flexibility.

PD's wow factor is off the charts. All of the above plus co-op, counter-op (play as the enemies during missions!), a kickin' sci-fi soundtrack (lead composer Grant Kirkhope), and incredibly creative weaponry including such favorites as the laptop sentry gun, dual wielding alien pistols with explosive bullets, the chaos-in-a-can N-Bomb, alliance-shifting Psychosis Gun, beyond spray-and-pray Reaper (with backup Grinder :P), and the weapon-of-all-time, the master of cheese (mmm...cheese), the big blue rod of inescapable doom, the FarSight XR-20!

. N-Bomb Psychosis Gun

There is a drawback to pushing the envelope like this, though...the framerate. If lots of characters and/or explosions are on the screen, especially in multiplayer, it slows to a painful crawl. This, along with less mainstream appeal than Bond, a late release in the console's lifecycle, and Halo coming just 18 months after, made Perfect Dark struggle to attain much more than a strong cult following (it sold 2.5 million copies to GE's 8 million).

pd_pelagicizrtq.jpg

However, things began to look up in 2010 when, at long last, a port was released on Xbox 360. Early screenshots seemed to indicate it would be a pretty faithful port. Alas, not so much. While the cancelled GoldenEye 007 port was developed internally by Rare, the PD port was outsourced to 4J Studios, who felt some need to shred its magnificent art style. Every head got replaced, and the main characters were especially worse off for it. Sleek alien weapons grew mold. The gold DY357-LX turned orange. The sharp, silver edges of the MagSec 4 (based on RoboCop's Auto 9) got smoothed out and browned. And the sparks, explosions, muzzle flashes, and chrome surfaces all got muted. And also unlike the dearly departed GE port, no classic graphics mode.

The changes didn't stop with the graphics. At launch, there were no Legacy or Southpaw controls (which EVERY Halo has had), explosions were drastically shortened, and the laptop sentry gun had its ammo severely reduced. These were patched in (in the game's one and only patch), but the Legacy controls were poorly coded and broke the quick select menu and sniper zoom. And though it runs at a locked 60 FPS most of the time, the game stutters when passing through explosions - one thing from the original that SHOULD have been fixed.

That 60 FPS isn't all it's cracked up to be either - the animations feel much too snappy. The manual aim also isn't as smooth as the original, a strong echo that can't be turned off was added to all corridors, and several audio bugs (rapid footsteps, voiceovers not cutting off correctly, music channels dropping out) were added. The menus became a bit of a chore to navigate too.

At least the port's not a total dud. The gameplay is intact, the levels have been pretty faithfully uprezzed, and the 1080p/60 FPS is pretty swell. Online play and speedrun leaderboards have also been added, though the online is pretty barebones. No parties, weak playlists, no custom game browser (in THE game that would benefit the most from one), limited team options, and no cheats. The population dropped off rapidly, and you'd be hard pressed to blame the age of the game for that.

Resources

Trailer
Perfect Head mode (removed prior to release)
Perfect Dark Recon - a hub for all things PD
The Yamo's Lair (PD mysteries)
Classic Game Room reviews PD
The official making of video
Promo art + wallpapers
Regional/version differences
Martin Hollis discusses PD
More multiplayer footage
More screenshots
A zany yet informative (and woefully unfinished) Let's Play by Evil Tim (GoldenEye too!)

cycloneylrcq.gif

pdz_logos3kga.jpg

Platform: Xbox 360

Format: 6.8 gigabyte DVD (original release)

Release dates: Nov. 18th, 2005 (North America) / Dec. 2nd, 2005 (Europe) / Dec. 10th, 2005 (Japan) [Source: Wikipedia]

In development for the GameCube, original Xbox, and finally the Xbox 360 as a key launch title, Perfect Dark Zero is the prequel to Perfect Dark.

Now then, how do you go about following up one of the most acclaimed FPSes of all time as well as its spiritual sequel that cranked everything up to 11? Simply throw out everything and start from scratch, that's how!

PDZ feels nothing like either of the previous titles. The movement is slower. The weapons are mostly different. And the levels are big and mazelike to the degree that arrows show up on the ground if you spend too much time wandering around. A great sign of top-notch development, no?

The story didn't fare much better. The plot is bonkers, and Joanna's character went from a smooth, female James Bond to an ultra-hip teenager. Oh, and somehow she doesn't have a British accent anymore (all the voice acting is cringeworthy).

While the graphics are technically impressive at times, the art style manages to be both cartoony and dull, and loaded with bloom to boot. And the physics...hoo, boy. Eschewing the classic hand-crafted death animations for Havok ragdolling, dying characters move like they're bobbing around in a hot tub.

The soundtrack's also completely different. Composed by David Clynick, who scored the cutscenes and bonus missions in PD N64, the style has gone from ethereal and electrifying sci-fi synths to a more ordinary, upbeat funky sound. It's not bad, but it's nowhere near as catchy. If you want to hear how it SHOULD'VE sounded, check out this EPIC PD N64 credits remix by Grant Kirkhope!

The multiplayer fares somewhat better than the campaign, featuring up to 32 players online, but the weapons and maps are uninspired, and the gameplay is still slow. GE and PD were all about fast, arcadey action and impactful kills, but in PDZ, everything feels limp.

Overall, the game feels like a combination of development hell (adding insult to injury after all the platform jumps, the team only got proper development kits five months before release, and final stability certification was skipped to make the 360's launch), and adding stuff because it was flashy (like over-the-top vehicles, tacked-on tertiary weapon functions, and an utterly ridiculous roll maneuver) instead of good for the game.

Resources

Trailer
Screenshots
Early concept art
Later concept art
Post-launch developer interview
Electronic Gaming Monthly's review
Post-Rare developer interview
Novels and comic books

pdz_pennya2s68.jpg

Edit 12/29/2017 - corrected PD sales figure.
Edit 4/4/2019 - corrected text alignment.
Edit 9/11/2019 - minor text alignment + fixed/added a few GE links.

Last edited:

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perfect Dark is better than Goldeneye in every possible way. All of you crying for a Goldeneye remaster we already got one of the superior game and its Perfect Dark on Xbox 360 and Xbox One. Play that instead.

Seriously that game has more content than many modern day FPS games do now! I cant believe Rare managed to fit all of it in an N64 cart and they kinda didnt because they needed the Expansion Pack to run it properly!

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's so much content packed into Perfect Dark, much of which isn't really done today. Counter-op really is a great concept.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have many thoughts, but I'll start with two.

1: Perfect Dark makes you sit through zero tutorials. Instead, it provides you with a completely optional hub that will teach you basically every game mechanic at your own pace. Complete with a guided tour of each major area from Carrington himself the first time you leave your office. The Carrington Institute has an extremely strong sense of place and character. Everyone knows you. Not everyone likes you. Characters greet you when you approach, or when you enter the room. Joanna mildly responds with "hiya" or some variation. There are small jokes like Grimshaw proudly boasting that he could give you a criminal record if you wanted. They'd wanted to implement something similar in GoldenEye -- Q-Branch, but it didn't work out. There are a lot of things in Perfect Dark that reflect design ideas from GoldenEye that didn't make the cut.

2: Perfect Dark had a LOT of options. It even supported letterboxed ultrawide resolutions with FOV that adjusted to match if you were into that sort of thing. Perfect Dark: Zero, on the other hand, didn't even have subtitle options. That game was terribly rushed and terribly botched. And as good as the XBLA version of PD is, 4J removed the ultra-wide letterboxing and that annoys me. I wonder whether Rareware's Project Bean (GoldenEye HD) had those options.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP exaggerates 4J's very few shortcomings when it came to the PD Remaster. Its as close to a perfect and faithful Remaster as it couldve been. I very much liked what it did and is the only legit way of playing and beating those goddamn mutliplayer challenges without being bogged down by horrible framerate. Oh and the updated modern day controls help too.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am not and its not even close. PD has more levels, more weapons, more modes, more options, better graphics, simulants (!), more characters, better animations, and even has some remastered GE multiplayer levels and a bunch of weapons from that game as well! Goldeneye is great, dont get me wrong, but PD does everything better! PD is the Empire Strikes Back of the Rare FPS trilogy!

Ok maybe that last analogy doesnt work as well but you get the picture!

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP exaggerates 4J's very few shortcomings when it came to the PD Remaster. Its as close to a perfect and faithful Remaster as it couldve been. I very much liked what it did and is the only legit way of playing and beating those goddamn mutliplayer challenges without being bogged down by horrible framerate. Oh and the updated modern day controls help too.
There are dubious art style changes. Elvis' new character model falls into that weird category where it's potentially more faithful to the concept of being a Yoda parody, but it doesn't convey the same character that the N64 version did. He feels off. You can't switch back to the old graphics, which is annoying. Rare's GoldenEye remaster that was canned because Nintendo suck offered a choice between graphical styles with new graphics that were extremely faithful to the original style. PD XBLA arguably would have been better if Rare had made it.

Another annoyance is that Rare Replay was released before Microsoft's Play Anywhere initiative, so there's no PC port of Perfect Dark XBLA. But that's hardly 4J's fault.

Perfect Dark is better than Goldeneye in every possible way. All of you crying for a Goldeneye remaster we already got one of the superior game and its Perfect Dark on Xbox 360 and Xbox One. Play that instead.
GoldenEye and Perfect Dark have some significant design differences. There was a certain... tactility to GE's gunplay and hit responses. The flow of combat in Perfect Dark is quite different. It's kinda like the difference between Perfect Dark and TimeSplitters 2.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Perfect Dark, easily the best game from those. And the only thing tempting me to get an xbox one to be able to enjoy that game once again.

Redmond Barry

Nov 24, 2017
PD always makes me a little sad because I feel like this game could have and should have been part of my childhood. How glorious that would have been. Instead I wound up playing it for the first time with a shoddy emilator and keyboard-only controls when I was in 8th grade (I suppose that time period would still be part of my childhood, but just barely).

I've since played it numerous times both on a real N64 cartridge and the remaster on XBLA, which I guess is my way of compensating for the lack of PD childhood memories lol.

I did play The World is not Enough though, which I remember liking more than GE at the time. Pretty fun game regardless. And of course I sought after Timesplitters 2 precisely because it was a "Goldeneyelike" as I like to call this little sub-sub-genre.

neoJABES

Dec 23, 2017
Perfect Dark - in my top 5 games of all time!

My buddies and I would race home during lunch break everyday at school and level up our characters in the multiplayer.

Fuck, do I miss this game.. playing on Xbox just doesn't capture the nostalgia of playing with local multiplayer with friends.

hexanaut

Dec 6, 2017
GoldenEye defined much of my childhood. I remember seeing the movie after playing the game and being impressed with Rare's attention to detail with how many of the props and levels had been faithfully included (things like the mines and the Facility level for example).

I only rented Perfect Dark on the N64 and didn't truly fall in love with it until the XBLA version. I also have fond memories of playing Perfect Dark Zero during the early 360 days, but admittedly it has aged very poorly (the parallax mapping and weapon animations still look great though). It's a crime that the series has been dormant for so long.

Edit: the Nightclub level is the highlight of PDZ.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oscillator

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Doesn't change the fact that they broke some stuff and never patched it, left out the original graphics, replaced them with higher res but unfaithful ones, and added only rudimentary online to a game that does more than many of today's biggest FPSes. It's an ok port, and I definitely had some moments of fun with it (it's hard to mess up Devastators on Grid ^_^), but especially after hearing what was going to be in the GE port, not nearly enough care was given to the PD port. Even with the lower resolution and much lower framerate, the original is still the definitive version.

SUPGUYZ

Oct 27, 2017
I remember being so confused by Perfect Dark as a kid. I think I was actually running around the main menu hub lmao

Oct 27, 2017
In Goldeneye, on the map surface, I really liked just launching rockets into the air and waiting for them to come back down to see if I can get it to hit me haha.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Yes! This thread is finally here! I was wondering if it was ever going to be up or not. :p Impressive work OP!

BTW, is that Taser Boy thing from Goldeneye in the final version???? If so, I've never seen it or unlocked it myself.

OP
OP
Oscillator

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Yes! This thread is finally here! I was wondering if it was ever going to be up or not. :p Impressive work OP!

BTW, is that Taser Boy thing from Goldeneye in the final version???? If so, I've never seen it or unlocked it myself.

All Guns mode, unlocked by beating Egyptian on 00 Agent within 6:00 (or entering a button code). Also unlocks the Shotgun and Tank Gun.

Speaking of the guns, some of those cool designs are actually taken from real life weapons.

Last edited:

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another vote here for Goldeneye >>> PD.

In truth, by the time PD came out I was too busy with the pursuits of a young man to really give it much attention but from what I did play, it didn't have the magic. Goldeneye was lightning in a bottle in both SP and especially MP. PD had more of everything except fun.

Pandy

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I'm just here to say that Goldeneye 64 is still the best split-screen multiplayer FPS there has been.

I'm lucky enough to still play get to play it competitively occasionally, thanks to a group of local guys that are fans of it too.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Was addicted to Perfect Dark when it released when I was in eighth grade. I remember being completely engrossed in the game, writing which missions I still had to complete on all difficulties, playing multiplayer with my older brother, setting up game modes and saving them to our N64's Controller Pak, getting to Level 2 with my character, and getting addicted to unlocking all of the multiplayer content, single player cheats, and more. Awesome game made better by the content-heavy multiplayer, including a must for FPS games, bots.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't change the fact that they broke some stuff and never patched it, left out the original graphics, replaced them with higher res but unfaithful ones, and added only rudimentary online to a game that does more than many of today's biggest FPSes. It's an ok port, and I definitely had some moments of fun with it (it's hard to mess up Devastators on Grid ^_^), but especially after hearing what was going to be in the GE port, not nearly enough care was given to the PD port. Even with the lower resolution and much lower framerate, the original is still the definitive version.
Im sorry but I strongly disagree. A few dubious textures on some weapons and faces of characters don't make the N64 game the definitive version. After playing PD in HD at 60FPS I cannot go back to 480i at 15FPS blurryfest that was the game on N64.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im sorry but I strongly disagree. A few dubious textures on some weapons and faces of characters don't make the N64 game the definitive version. After playing PD in HD at 60FPS I cannot go back to 480i at 15FPS blurryfest that was the game on N64.

nuttyevans

Nov 8, 2017
So many late summer evenings spent huddled around a TV with these games. Would probably go with GoldenEye if I had to choose but both were excellent games.

360 version of Perfect Dark is great also, does anyone play it online?

Nov 8, 2017
Goldeneye was definitely a game that was popular with some friends but since I never owned it I ended up making do with a copy of TWINE that I got second hand from a pawn shop. Fun in it's own way, but lacking compared to Goldeneye.

Going back now the framerate is unbearable, particularly Perfect Dark. I'm not a 60hz or die person but when a game is breaking into the teens regularly that is my limit.

OP
OP
Oscillator

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
A few dubious textures on some weapons and faces of characters don't make the N64 game the definitive version.

There's a lot more to the changes than that. The gamma is different (even with the slider they patched in later, it's still not right), and as a result everything looks a bit washed out. And as I mentioned in the OP, the game's chrome surfaces, explosions, sparks, and muzzle flashes all have less "pop". And in the process of the 60 FPS conversion, some of the animations were made too fast - at times it feels so snappy, it's almost like Unreal Tournament. The manual "R Button" aim also isn't as smooth as the original (this also had sliders patched in, but they only helped with the speed, not the choppiness), and like I also said in the OP, several audio bugs and a strong, permanent hallway echo were added, and the menus are a bit trickier to navigate. Oh, and the necks are missing when you switch heads in multiplayer.

Now, each of these drawbacks by themselves don't amount to much more than nitpicking. But all of it put together plus the overhauled weapons and heads, and no way to revert to the originals, adds up to a pretty fair mess. The 1080p/60 FPS, speedrun leaderboards, and good deathmatch netcode do save the game from being a total flameout, but all I have to do is run around any level for a couple of minutes in the original, or even look at screenshots of the excellent remastered AND classic graphics the GE port was going to have, and I can clearly tell that a lot of the game's heart is missing.

But hey, some people just want the core gameplay. If that turns your crank, cool. But for people like me who adored the ENTIRE experience, the port is a big letdown.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Perfect Dark really ran into a performance brick wall on the N64 because it wasn't just about graphics. Such the game was graphically ambitious (they wanted light and dark to be an integral part of gameplay, but performance concerns got in the way) Perfect Dark has a lot of performance intensive systems. Audio is very complex. You've got room-based sound occlusion. You've got quite complex music eating up a decent chunk of CPU time. Speech is MP3, which isn't free to decode. (Although the game uses standard audio for "barks". So "GET HER!" isn't MP3.) Also, AI is a big performance drain. Unlike many of its contemporaries, Perfect Dark has NPCs just wandering around the level. An NPC might cross the entire level. Use elevators. And more. This might not seem like a big deal, but it was a big deal for a CPU that weak. When Factor 5 made Rogue Squadron, they struggled with AI overheads and eventually resorted to faking pretty much all the AI, with ships moving on scripted paths pretending to dogfight. Perfect Dark's AI completely tanks the framerate if there are several NPCs engaging in combat at the same time. And even if they're not engaging in combat, any "active" AI is draining CPU time for everything from path finding to decision making to physics.

On top of this, you had the N64's terrible RAM latency bottlenecks and lack of CPU DMA and various problems getting data from A to B. It's pretty crazy how stuff like Dinosaur Planet was running at 15fps on the N64 while Star Fox Adventures runs at 60fps on the Gamecube.

There's a lot more to the changes than that. The gamma is different (even with the slider they patched in later, it's still not right), and as a result everything looks a bit washed out.
The game is a bit too bright. And clean. The fake dynamic lighting system doesn't quite work as well because scene brightness is too high, IMO, but it's okay in general. In terms of remaster quality, it sits somewhere between Bioshock: Remastered and the Turok 2 Night Dive Studios remaster. It has problems, and there's a slim chance we might see mods to fix some of them when Xbox 360 emulation matures. But from a gameplay perspective, I would say, Perfect Dark XBLA > PC emulation (which is a bit complicated) > Native N64.

OP
OP
Oscillator

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Perfect Dark's AI completely tanks the framerate if there are several NPCs engaging in combat at the same time. And even if they're not engaging in combat, any "active" AI is draining CPU time for everything from path finding to decision making to physics.

Given how the some of the worst framerate drops occur when crowds of enemies gather together, that wouldn't surprise me.

But from a gameplay perspective, I would say, Perfect Dark XBLA > PC emulation (which is a bit complicated) > Native N64.

From a pure gameplay perspective, XBLA is easily the best, just because of the how responsive the controls are with the high framerate. XBLA's big problem is its presentation. The nitpicks I mentioned, along with a few others I didn't, ruin the immersiveness. I can't stand it when port teams think smearing a game with detail automatically makes it look better. Check out this great emulated footage to see how it SHOULD'VE looked!

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for putting me on SoberDwarf, going to watch that design documentary.

I really need to put some time into the 360 version of Perfect Dark.

El Buga

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Was addicted to Perfect Dark when it released when I was in eighth grade. I remember being completely engrossed in the game, writing which missions I still had to complete on all difficulties, playing multiplayer with my older brother, setting up game modes and saving them to our N64's Controller Pak, getting to Level 2 with my character, and getting addicted to unlocking all of the multiplayer content, single player cheats, and more. Awesome game made better by the content-heavy multiplayer, including a must for FPS games, bots.
Same here.

Perfect Dark was the last time I cared about a FPS title. Ironically I still consider it the best game I've ever played. And it's a game type I normally don't even consider in a purchase.

Got to Level 2 with my character also, after playing for the entirety of 2001 almost everyday. Became truly addicted, and by the time I was forced to stop playing since the RCP processor of my N64 fried, I was clocking more than an entire month of game time spent on multiplayer alone.

OP
OP
Oscillator

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Funny that this topic just popped up, as 1964, an N64 emulator dedicated entirely to the two games Perfect Dark and Goldeneye 007, just got its first patch in a zillion years yesterday. http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=7045

The base version of 1964 is a standard emulator like Project64 and Mupen. What you have there is a modified version with 60 FPS and mouse support for GE and PD (a couple videos in this thread use footage from it). And that modified version has been getting constant updates for over a year.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
The base version of 1964 is a standard emulator like Project64 and Mupen. What you have there is a modified version with 60 FPS and mouse support for GE and PD (a couple videos in this thread use footage from it). And that modified version has been getting constant updates for over a year.

Gotcha. I clearly misread the latest patch notes when checking back in for my first time in forever. I'd love advice on the best way to get PD or GE running on a PC with 60FPS optimizations in mind, whether or not that requires 1964. (I've admittedly yet to install/test in a while.)

OP
OP
Oscillator

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Gotcha. I clearly misread the latest patch notes when checking back in for my first time in forever. I'd love advice on the best way to get PD or GE running on a PC with 60FPS optimizations in mind, whether or not that requires 1964. (I've admittedly yet to install/test in a while.)

Just install the modified package you linked to, and ask for help in that same thread if there are any problems. The package's maintainer seems highly dedicated, given the rapid updates. :)

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Goldeneye was definitely a game that was popular with some friends but since I never owned it I ended up making do with a copy of TWINE that I got second hand from a pawn shop. Fun in it's own way, but lacking compared to Goldeneye.
Eurocom had a slightly different take on Rareware's design ideas. They weren't really as "mini sandbox" focused. They had some neat ideas of their own, too. I always loved how they faked motion blur on trains by blurring the actual textures. Or how bullets would ricochet off certain surfaces. Or the pistol silencer removal functionality that they kept in all their later games.

Nice looking game, too. Crazy high asset quality in places, particularly weapon models. Notice, however, how Bond's fingers are segmented? Rareware used properly rigged models with bones. With TWINE, Eurocom were using an older method that you did still see for a few years in games like the PS2 version of GTA 3.
TWINE_N64.gif

Going back now the framerate is unbearable, particularly Perfect Dark. I'm not a 60hz or die person but when a game is breaking into the teens regularly that is my limit.
Have you tried the 60fps remaster?

OP
OP
Oscillator

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
TWINE had some great setpieces, like the boat chase, ski chase, helicopter battle, and underground explosion, and good cinematics too. But the mechanics were clunky. The characters you had to speak to were long-winded, the gunfire didn't feel satisfying, you had to be in precise positions to activate switches and gadgets (Mission: Impossible was also greatly affected by this), and most of the levels were really linear. Also, if you didn't perfectly time guard movements in stealth levels, instant fail. It was nearly the polar opposite of GE's arcadey freedom. It had so much order, it was rarely fun. All the Bond games that came after seem to have followed this template too. I was impressed with the clear graphics, clear audio, and strong colours, though.

Oct 27, 2017
Now that is a great OP, very nice. I really should get PD remaster since I've recently became the owner of a Xbox 360. Never had one before.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Man, all of this just makes me want to play through Goldeneye, PD, and TWINE again on the highest difficulty. Will probably get to that at some point.

I usually play these games on Agent just to sort of calmly breeze through the games and it's not often that I play them on a higher difficulty. The cool thing about these N64 shooters is that the higher difficulties totally changed the levels up. Different objectives, stronger enemy AI (or in the case of TWINE, they made them both stronger and put more of them in the levels), new areas are opened up in the levels, etc. You might as well be playing a different game with each difficulty setting. All of that combined with the sandbox type level design just made it so interesting and even encouraged exploration to some degree. Too bad shooters don't really do this kind of thing anymore.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
I very much enjoyed the read and the links, OP. If you forced me to choose only one game as my all-time favorite it would be Perfect Dark. So many good memories of both the campaign and combat simulator. It'll be the game that, when I'm on my deathbed, I'll think back and say "man, it would be great to have one last round on Complex with my friends and some Sims (especially FistSim with his red overalls and alien head)".

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Okay, so I just found this on YouTube and I NEED to show this here:

This is some sort of mod that someone made for Goldeneye where all the characters are replaced with Mario characters (the mod uses Mario 64 models). In fact, it's not just the characters. The mission briefings, dialogue, and story are also changed to make sense with the Mario setting! It is the most bizarre thing ever.

OP
OP
Oscillator

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
This is some sort of mod that someone made for Goldeneye where all the characters are replaced with Mario characters (the mod uses Mario 64 models). In fact, it's not just the characters. The mission briefings, dialogue, and story are also changed to make sense with the Mario setting! It is the most bizarre thing ever.

Ridiculously epic. XD