• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
The youtube algorithm has fed me this video recently and I thought it was super interesting.
It starts off a bit slow, but at some point the realshit music kicks in and he gets to the crux of the matter

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0UMG3iVYZI

I think most are aware of what was identified to have likely been the cause of the YLOD years back, which is solder balls breaking and that reheating the system either with a heatgun or by letting it overheat itself would fix it temporarily. More professional approaches would outright replace those balls underneath the chip (reballing), which was touted to last much longer and be an actual fix.
A few years ago, a new theory had sprung up and caught on: No, it was the capacitors going bad. Some people even started replacing their still working capacitor chips in the hopes of saving their console from future death ("preventive maintenance").

y67kBRd.png

This was now the accepted solution to finally fix the YLOD...or not.

As the youtuber points out: We love simple solutions to complex problems, and if we can blame the capacitors for the YLOD and don't need expensive equipment and knowhow to fix it, then that's wonderful news. Someone more knowledgable than the average tinkerer figured this out, surely he's right.
But he analyzed the responses from popular threads describing the method, and it turned out that there was no conclusive evidence that it actually helped in most of the cases. Most earlier posts would be positive, but either they never reported back on the state of their console after a few months, or - burried in later pages - admitted it didn't help after all. We know from reflowing that even something that provides no longterm fix can still work for a while, so this would've been kinda important.. That doesn't mean that those capacitors cannot be the reason for failure in some cases, but replacing them isn't the magical fix either.

"OK BUT THEN WHAT IS THE REAL REASON??"

Well, according to the theory presented by "RIP Felix", it is..

...the balls. Fuck, we're back to the balls. But not necessarily those balls underneath, but rather the smaller ones inside the GPU:

FC_Zeichnung.png

The big balls underneath are the ones connecting the chip to the mainboard. These are the ones that reballing seeks to replace. But sandwiched between the chip (yellow) and the green substrate lies another set of balls, the "bumps". They are covered in something called "underfill" (blue), which is the glue-like stuff you probably noticed if you've ever delidded a PS3 chip. The underfill serves to relief some stress that occurs when all that shit warps during heating and cooling. Everything involving those bumps, their material properties, what they're connected to, the underfill, it all needs to match. And apparantly, it didn't, and so they start to get cracks over time, eventually causing the chip to fail.

Some time around from when the PS3 launched until 2010ish, Nvidia had problems with their chips and this also caused higher rates of failure with their notebook chips in particular. The underfilling material seemed to have been ill-chosen.
This can't be fixed. It's essentially a bad, broken chip. But that doesn't mean that reballing doesn't solve anything; those bigger solder balls underneath can ofc also break. It just doesn't eliminate the fundamental problem. Later PS3 models have this fixed and they also don't get as hot in general, what with all the shrunk process nodes.

The thing is, none of this is new information, it's just recontextualized coupled with the realization that mayyybe it's the chips that were at fault after all. Maybe you've also seen Louis Rossmann rant about broken Macbooks on youtube, pointing out the same likely causes of failure. It's apparantly a reoccurring problem.

Now, this wouldn't be so bad if those early launch PS3 affected by this weren't so damn valuable, being the only BC models available. Otherwise you could've just told people to get a Slim or something instead.
So we still needed a solution, and the most promising solution as shown in the video is super cool; you create a Frankenstein PS3 by implanting a GPU from a more recent model to a launch model's mainboard. It is a grossly unholy ritual. But it makes so much sense. I've always wondered if this wasn't possible, considering that with the exception of very late models, the GPUs kinda match. Surely someone with the expertise could trick the system to accept the new organ... well here it is, and unbeknownst to the community at large, apparantly been performed by two Indonesian technomancers for quite a few years already. And even Sony themselves have performed such a swap to repair some units.
Luckily there are so many "healthy" PS3 are out in the wild that the pool of potential donor GPUs is quite vast and there won't be a shortage of parts to try this method of repair any time soon, should it ever become more widespread.

If you have a BC PS3, undust it, give it a hug

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I regret lending my PS3 to a friend who has yet to return it. One day I'm raiding his house.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
Its always been unclear to me if the non-backwards compatible phats also have the yellow light of death problem. Cause mine from 2009 is still going strong with zero preventative maintenance.

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I wish I had the knowledge and tools to repair mine. That generation has some major hardware reliability issues. Even my replacement PS3 super slim is running hot now, and these systems just keep getting more and more expensive as more and more die off.

Banana Ocelot

Dec 12, 2019
OP I just want to mention that your description of creating a Frankenstein's monster PS3 as a "grossly unholy ritual" is super fucking funny and it made me laugh.

Thanks for creating this thread. I got the YLOD in my fat PS3 years ago and never investigated why it happened.

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
I miss my Backwards Compatible model. Let me replay Haunting Ground goddamnit.

I think playing Lords of Shadow 2 YLoD my PS3.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I remember fixing a friends ps3 that got ylod by opening it up and blasting either the gpu or cpu with a heat gun. Worked for a couple more months at least.

Bizar895

Nov 2, 2017
Interesting read, I still own my ylod launch ps3, never touched it anymore since it broke down while playing Skyrim. Didn't even bother taking the Skyrim disc out of the console and it is still in it. Just bought a new copy haha. Maybe want to try fixing it one day.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
so glad I bought the super slim.
I bought a new SS PS3 at the same time the PS4 launched as mine had just died and I happened to have the cash to get both. Glad I got a late model console. It's still hooked up, right next to my PS5. I can easily play four of five generations of PlayStation games on my big screen.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
My original unit did YLOD, and I was able to reflow it and get it working (and get my damn disc out), but it didn't last. Reflowing doesn't work on failed capacitors, so I've always known it wasn't that. When it died the second time, I bought a Slim, which was all they were selling at the time. I got burned by getting rid of my PS2 because I "didn't need it any more", and ended up having to buy another one when my new PS3 couldn't play those games any more. That's why I don't get rid of old consoles any more.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Wait how valuable is a backward compatible PS3? I have a working one and don't really use it (and have offered to give it away multiple times lol)
Really good read too btw, thanks OP for sharing.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Some time around from when the PS3 launched until 2010ish, Nvidia had problems with their chips and this also caused higher rates of failure with their notebook chips in particular. The underfilling material seemed to have been ill-chosen.

Ugh, I had a Macbook Pro that had an Nvidia chip from this era and it really disgusted me that my $1400 laptop died within 2 years

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I think the currently accepted theory of why so many consoles, and even GPUs died back then is because of the direct connections beneath the die failing. Not the solder balls like early fixes assumed. Apparently the resin they used beneath the dies was not good enough at high temperatures and would be too soft to provide support when systems were at operating temperatures. Today these resins are much better and have proven to reliable. Later PS3 consoles use better resin beneath the die. So the best solution today is to swap a new slim model 45nm GPU to the original PS3. Apparently the pin out are the same. Results is way less power usage and better resin = problem solved. But as you expect, you need to kill a perfectly working PS3 slim to fix an OG PS3. And success rate is not favorable especially if the OG PS3 has been reflowed in the past or YLOD already.

OP
OP
horkrux

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Its always been unclear to me if the non-backwards compatible phats also have the yellow light of death problem. Cause mine from 2009 is still going strong with zero preventative maintenance.

there's this neat little chart in the video

screenshot2022-11-252aee03.png

it's less likely to occur on non-bc phats (orange), but it's questionable if this particular issue was actually solved.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Will OG PS3 be valuable? Think mine still works

I still have one that hasn't been updated since June 2008... so it still has OtherOs. 😁

Not that I plan to turn it on anytime soon, but does anyone know if there is some cooling trick that I can do to help those balls not over heat?

Cooling small fan blowing in from a certain direction? Placing the PS3 in a certain stance (Vertical or Horizontal)?

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
...the balls. Fuck, we're back to the balls. But not necessarily those balls underneath, but rather the smaller ones inside the GPU:

FC_Zeichnung.png

The big balls underneath are the ones connecting the chip to the mainboard. These are the ones that reballing seeks to replace. But sandwiched between the chip (yellow) and the green substrate lies another set of balls, the "bumps". They are covered in something called "underfill" (blue), which is the glue-like stuff you probably noticed if you've ever delidded a PS3 chip. The underfill serves to relief some stress that occurs when all that shit warps during heating and cooling. Everything involving those bumps, their material properties, what they're connected to, the underfill, it all needs to match. And apparantly, it didn't, and so they start to get cracks over time, eventually causing the chip to fail.

Most GPUs around this time has issues related to soldier cracking due to the EU's ban on lead based soldier. The new type of soldier that was being used was prone to this cracking. Hence Nvidia GPUs with issues, RROD, YLOD.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
My fully BC PS3 is still working* and it's my pride and joy

*The disc drive doesn't work. I acquired it from Goodwill and it came like this. I attempted to replace the drive, matching the logic board and all that, with a working one but it still would not accept or read discs suggesting some other component is at fault which I simply don't have the tech knowhow to figure it out.

I ended up jailbreaking it and making it solely a PS2 machine. I have fan control homebrew that makes it quite loud, but I'm terrified to not have it running like that. Least it isn't much louder than my phat PS2.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
I had some adventures with my PS3. At least two reballings (both of which worked for a few years), stolen and recovered in a pawn shop.

Still, the last and most recent time it crapped out about a year ago, I finally just binned it. Wish this solution was around at the time, I would've seriously considered it.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe the reason there are multiple theories is because there are actually multiple different types of failure happening that lead to the same result?

Like how there is no one "real reason" for the Check Engine light coming on in your car; a bunch of different failures can cause that.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Had a launch 80GB FAT BC model and it got YLOD in 2011..sold it for a slim which I barely played because I missed BC

Gold!e

Jun 7, 2018
Britain
I actually have both a dead OG BC PS3 and a Super Slim, wish I had the technical knowhow to carry out this ghastly operation

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
This is good to know in case my ps3 finally gets the YLOD. I don't know how I got so lucky but my launch ps3 has been trucking along and still works to this day and I used it daily for multiple hours over its lifespan before the ps4 came out. I know it's basically a ticking clock until the YLOD hits it so I'm glad there's at least some method to keep it alive for BC. Only issue I have on it is the disc drive not wanting to eject discs every time now haha.

Man that ps3 did well for me though, still remember the cold winter night when my boiler broke and couldn't be fixed for a day so I shut myself up in a small room of my house with it and plugged it in just purely for the heat it would kick out the back vents. Pointed the vents towards me and got real cozy after a couple of hours with the door shut to the room haha.

Oct 27, 2017
So my super slim is good to go then lol. But I'd love to see if you could do it and put the newer gpu in a launch model. I kinda want one of those launch ps3 systems around again, was a beast but a great one

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I never understood why Microsoft got dragged so hard over RROD while Sony got a pass for the YLOD - which was just as prominent.
I guess because YLOD tended to show up later? (because the PS3 launched later)
Sony really should have been held accountable for it.

I think I did eventually buy a slim after my system died, but after multiple 360 failures, my launch PS3 dying, and the dismal game performance by the mid-point of that generation, I decided that enough was enough and ditched the consoles - never looking back.

Now, this wouldn't be so bad if those early launch PS3 affected by this weren't so damn valuable, being the only BC models available.
While I get the convenience factor of it - especially when a lot of modern TVs don't even have analog video inputs - the PS3's backwards compatibility wasn't great.
  • It couldn't do 240p and would display the games as 480i. I had to use a video processor to convert that back to 240p.
  • I seem to recall that the output was blurred to some extent (no, not the filter that you can disable).
  • I think there was an extra frame or two of latency as well?
Again: it's a nice convenient way to play PS1/2 game discs via HDMI - and probably less expensive than HDMI-modded original hardware.
But I don't think I would seek one out for playing PS1/2 games these days.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
Still have a launch BC unit that never YLOD but as soon as I could I retired it, kind of weird that this appears to be something with much higher than normal fail rates that would have justified some type of recall process