• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.theguardian.com/science...reatest-year-was-probably-when-you-were-young

In 2016, as Donald Trump was busy securing the Republican nomination by promising to "Make America Great Again", a survey of Americans asked a seemingly simple question: in which year was the country great in the first place? Unfortunately, the results were not so straightforward and instead of a consensus, respondents' choices were spread out across the last 70 years. But an analysis by the Atlantic found one factor that seemed to influence people's responses: their age. The younger a participant was, the more recent the year they tended to choose.

This correlation was fairly weak, and it would be easy to dismiss it as a fluke. Yet recent researchpublished in the Journal of Applied Research in Memory and Cognition has found that age isimportant. In this study, Americans disproportionately chose the years of their own youth as the country's greatest years – no matter how old they were now. This finding is the latest involving a phenomenon known as the reminiscence bump.

Basically a scientific study that reinforces the "it's not me who's wrong, it's the kids" meme, and how that probably ties into a conservative "good old days" mindset and "Make America Great Again".

There's a lot more to the article, so check it out.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Usually I love the feeling of nostalgia. But at the moment it makes me become a cranky old man, I hope I can check myself.

OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the jokes guys, but there's also a serious political implication to this research. That's what I'd like to discuss as per the article.

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of things really are worse, however. The environment, income inequality, the cost of basics like housing and healthcare vs. income, the thread of war is higher than some 'golden ages'.

OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of things really are worse, however. The environment, income inequality, the cost of basics like housing and healthcare vs. income, the thread of war is higher than some 'golden ages'.

A lot of other things are better though. We have defeated some diseases, minorities have more rights now (even though there is still a lot of room to improve), life expectancy has increased, etc. Depends on what metrics you choose to use. The point is that this is a cognitive bias regardless of reality. If things were generally better in the past, there would be a consistent time frame in which people thought things were better. But this is entirely subjective and based on personal biases.

hiryu64

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of other things are better though. We have defeated some diseases, minorities have more rights now (even though there is still a lot of room to improve), life expectancy has increased, etc. Depends on what metrics you choose to use. The point is that this is a cognitive bias regardless of reality. If things were generally better in the past, there would be a consistent time frame in which people thought things were better. But this is entirely subjective and based on personal biases.
This is a point that I try to communicate with those around me. Despite a lot of the social and political strife and dysfunction, we really do live in some of the greatest times in human history. But you wouldn't know that by watching the news, which would have you believe that we live in the worst of times.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ignorance is bliss. The longer we live in this imperfect world the more we are exposed to its flaws and injustices. I don't see how you can overcome this in the general population without managing to make data matter more to their perception of the world than their experienced memories, which is a hard thing to accomplish for anyone

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe my fondest times were when I was a kid, but I'm definitely aware enough to know that things are objectively better, and for what I want it's gotten better. But I guess for some of these people either they are going "fuck you got mine" on things like social issues, or they're letting the warmth of nostalgia drown out logic.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I love the 80s, was a kid during the decade and love a lot of shit about that time, but would I want to turn back all we have accomplished between then an now just to live in a perpetually eternal state of how it was back then? HELL NO! I love the 80s but I ain't blind over the 80s. I always say, sure, there was a lot of good times, but also a lot of bad times back then. Maybe I love a lot of 80s movies and music more than anything nowadays, but that time is gone. If there was time travel and I could take a trip to the 80s, it would be most definitely an instance of "It's a nice place, but I wouldn't want to live there!".

We are better off now, though we still gotta FIGHT to keep it that way seeing that people wanna roll everything back.

It's also what I've been saying, the whole "Make America great again", as in "the way it was in the good old days" is remembering an idealized version of reality. They are thinking of Leave it to Beaver and Norman Rockwell paintings, fabrications of the most pure intentions. A depiction of a world that people WANTED to exist, but never actually did. The "good old days"... pfffft! I've always said sarcastically, "Yeah, the good old days, when you could slap a secretary's ass and she'd give you a smile, a wife knew her place in the kitchen and blacks knew best not to mingle with whites!", times which are most DEFINITELY NOT good and over time, have made steps to progress away from (which is the RIGHT thing to do).

My dad, who was also a kid during that time (the 50s), believes in that bullshit in full (one of the reasons he voted for Trump).

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have fond memories of my teenage/college years- but it was legitimately a boom time for America as the payoff for winning the Cold War. 9/11 was the end of that era and it's been mostly downhill ever since.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Not really a surprising result for a study, but it's good that there's actually some solid data to back this up now. Of course, common sense would dictate that if you were a kid, and had a relatively simple, good life, you would automatically highlight that as "the best years." Subjectively they were. But once you let that actually influence your political decisions, that's where it all starts getting problematic. We're seeing that now with the Baby Boomer generation that is still digging its claws in with what's left of its authority just before the push comes and it's Generation X's turn to take over, although they largely already have.

I guess it also depends on how much media you have left available to you. Future generations, like the Millennials, will have unprecedented access not just to the general past, but their own. I'm Gen X, and have largely missed the wave of social media. Hell, I STILL don't have a Facebook account. But future generations will have never known a time when they didn't have a digital footprint, first as photos as babies on their own parents' social media accounts, and then their own once they got into Twitter/Snapchat/Instagram. All the ugliness, the anonymous hate speech, the stuff that used to just go on in whispers in bars and schools is actually documented now as doxxing, hate speech, digital bullying/sexual harassment, and other things.

I don't actually know if future generations will have as easy a time saying "Yeah, it was so much better back then," when they call up timelines from their own teenage years with cyberbullies gleefully asking them to kill themselves, or documented Tweets from people caught up in mass shootings, or protest suppression by the police.

grady

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
My ex girlfriend is doing her PhD on this subject and the linked theories, it's an interesting concept and from her research I found that it was definitely solid reasoning; this sort of research will hopefully one day help with Alzheimer's in some way.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Isn't this the exact same phenomenon that causes everyone to claim whatever music came out when they were 12 is the best music that has ever been? Nostalgia is a powerful thing.