• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019

Mark your calendars. The rich will truly "have it all" just 33 years from now.

Yup, that's when the top 10% of all households could have 100% of all the net worth in America.

Reminds me of another article I read in the past:

If Bezos doesn't sell more shares — which is unlikely since he's been selling small amounts to fund his space venture — Amazon stock would need to go above $12,600 for him to become a trillionaire. That may seem implausible or far-fetched, but a year ago, so was the idea of a $1 trillion Amazon.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
then they have robots and ai that does everything for them and let us starve to death.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
End game state of competitive capitalism. Once we get there it's just going to be drone wars to declare the ultimate victor with the biggest money wang and then we all go extinct.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
If you asked me a couple of years ago what I felt about the radical ideas of stuff like Anarchism I would have not agreed with it.

But my mind is changing on this at a pace quicker than I expected.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
As long as they can convince the Mob At Large that it's Dirty Foreigners that are the problem, so please pity me while I lay off workers and cut salaries for freedom, they are all but guaranteed to succeed.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
America is playing a dangerous game here, and very little people seem to care about wealth inequality. Lots of ignorance, and lack of foresight to understand the long-term implications. Just because you're rich, doesn't mean you shouldn't have to pay more. There needs to be a new standard set that to be wealthy means that you pay back into the system more.

Deleted member 45211

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 19, 2018
If you asked me a couple of years ago what I felt about the radical ideas of stuff like Anarchism I would have not agreed with it.

But my mind is changing on this at a pace quicker than I expected.
I mean, in the short term, I guess. But anarchism would eventually lead to a few well-stocked individuals taking over everything, no?

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, in the short term, I guess. But anarchism would eventually lead to a few well-stocked individuals taking over everything, no?

Yeah, that's one my questions about it as well.

I guess I should rephrase my thoughts slightly, the temptation to shop around for more radical ideals and philosophies (As well as philosophy in general, something that I wasn't particularly interested in before) is something that interests me.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nothing will change. People say vote but just not for anyone who will actually change the system. This is all by design and just tweaking what we're doing every few years just keeps kicking the can down the road.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Nothing will change. People say vote but just not for anyone who will actually change the system. This is all by design and just tweaking what we're doing every few years just keeps kicking the can down the road.
And the question is if you can actually change the system. We have had couple of left parties with good intentions (Podemos, Syriza) in europe and they could achieve jack shit. Feels like all the institutions that we have cannot be changed, unless you are far right demagog who gives no shit about democracy.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And the question is if you can actually change the system. We have had couple of left parties with good intentions (Podemos, Syriza) in europe and they could achieve jack shit. Feels like all the institutions that we have cannot be changed, unless you are far right demagog who gives no shit about democracy.

That's true. Sometimes it seems like another dark ages needs to happen then everything rebooted with hopefully people remembering the errors of the past when designing a new economic and political system.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's true. Sometimes it seems like another dark ages needs to happen then everything rebooted with hopefully people remembering the errors of the past when designing a new economic and political system.
Climate Change is a consequence of unchecked capitalism, there you have your dark ages slowly approaching.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
yes-the-planet-got-destroyed-but-for-a-beautiful-moment-12950874.png

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
People do realise that extrapolation as done in the article doesn't actually mean anything, right?

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
So do people say "eat" just because you can't say you want to murder people? :P

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
People do realise that extrapolation as done in the article doesn't actually mean anything, right?
It puts perspective on the rate. I don't think anyone believes this is an announcement that the rich will literally hold 100% of all capital by then, unless you're stepping forward to claim that prize.

The point is that the rich are getting richer at an alarming rate; this is an effective way of getting the point across. Not that I think it'll matter, but just sayin'.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
We're already being sold fake meat and people are okay with that because "it's good for the environment".

The same environment some of those ultra-rich people have had a hand in destroying.

Real meat will soon be just for the people who can afford it.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
At certain point, we will need to rise in arms.

People will still say "that's not the way!!"

Oct 30, 2017
We're already being sold fake meat and people are okay with that because "it's good for the environment".

The same environment some of those ultra-rich people have had a hand in destroying.

Real meat will soon be just for the people who can afford it.
A frequent diet of meat has typically been a staple of the rich until only the last handful of decades.
Whether or not it's fair seems like a worthy question. But for the sake of achieving sustainable agricultural practices, meat consumption needs to decrease. That's likely going to require prices not be so affordable.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Isn't most of the rich's money only real in a excel spreadsheet or in a Forbes list anyway? It's mostly stocks. It looks good when the Dow is at 26 000, but if most of them were trying to convert it to real money, the stock market would crater to nothing and trillions in fake wealth would be wiped out.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It puts perspective on the rate. I don't think anyone believes this is an announcement that the rich will literally hold 100% of all capital by then, unless you're stepping forward to claim that prize.

The point is that the rich are getting richer at an alarming rate; this is an effective way of getting the point across. Not that I think it'll matter, but just sayin'.
i think it's possible that before long anyone outside the upper tier will have to take on enough debt to maintain themselves that their net worth will be $0 or negative

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Eat the rich" is a saying for a reason

Russia in the early 1900s learned this

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
A coward's solution.

A father's solution.

I'm just offering it up, it's up to you to see if you're lucky, willing & able to pull it off.

Top 5% is like 235k/year household and that's my goal for my family. I think the systemic issues are unsolvable at this point, so the best you can do is secure a decent life for your partner and children.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
A father's solution.

I'm just offering it up, it's up to you to see if you're lucky, willing & able to pull it off.

Top 5% is like 235k/year household and that's my goal for my family. I think the systemic issues are unsolvable at this point, so the best you can do is secure a decent life for your partner and children.

That's what they did. "Fuck you got mine"

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
It will seem that way until people finally flip, then they will rebel and the top will come crashing down.