• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
C02bFLm.jpg

The Righteous Gemstones
kicks off its nine-episode season with an hour-long episode this Sunday, August 18th, followed by half-hour episodes on subsequent Sundays on HBO. Telling the story of a world-famous televangelist family with a long tradition of deviance, greed and charitable work, the series was created by McBride (HBO's "Vice Principals" and "Eastbound & Down"), who is an executive producer, director and writer. McBride collaborators Jody Hill and David Gordon Green also serve as executive producers and directors.
HBO said:
Well into the second generation of a grand televangelist tradition, the renowned Gemstone family is living proof that worship pays dividends in all sizes, including their megachurch. Danny McBride stars as Jesse Gemstone, the eldest of three grown Gemstone offspring, who looks to lead in his father's footsteps, but finds his past sins jeopardizing the family ministry.

Playing Jesse's siblings are Adam Devine ("Pitch Perfect") as pseudo-hipster Kelvin, the youngest of the trio and a thorn in Jesse's side, and Edi Patterson (HBO's "Vice Principals") as Judy, who is secretly living with her fiancé and dreams of escaping the Gemstone compound. John Goodman (HBO's "Treme", "The Connors") is Eli Gemstone, the family's patriarch, who finds himself at a crisis point as he mourns the loss of his wife, Aimee-Leigh (Jennifer Nettles), and questions the Gemstones' mission.

Also starring are Walton Goggins (Critics' Choice Award-winner for HBO's "Vice Principals") as Baby Billy, a former child star who clogged and sang for Jesus. As an aging man, he has fallen on hard times and comes to the Gemstones for salvation; Cassidy Freeman ("Longmire") as Jesse's wife, Amber, a former journalist now devoted to the church; Tony Cavalero ("School of Rock") as ex-Satanist Keefe Chambers; Tim Baltz ("Drunk History") as Judy's finance, BJ; and Greg Alan Williams ("Greenleaf") as Martin Imari, Eli's right-hand man.

Reviews have been mixed so far, though note that they were similarly mediocre for Vice Principals and Eastbound & Down. Probably isn't a show for everyone, but if you enjoyed the previous work from this team, you should be in good hands.
Indiewire said:
The lack of searing commentary is a bit of a letdown looking back over the first six episodes, but there's still potential. Putting characters first is rarely a bad idea with ongoing TV series, and McBride ensures viewers will want to keep coming back just to see more of what this cast can do.
THR said:
HBO's new comedy The Righteous Gemstones is likely to resonate with the audience that embraced his previous HBO comedies and perplex those requiring more conventionally "likable" characters. ... The Righteous Gemstones is coarse and enthusiastically performed, with punchlines that don't always hit for me, but the first six episodes have highlights of surprising potency.

LTZ041q.jpg

QMklZXl.jpg

vsQxkCl.jpg

V0w3TD0.jpg

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Trailers haven't done much for me and Vice Principals was nowhere near as good as Eastbound & Down. Regardless, very in.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Awesome, I didn't realize Walton Goggins made an appearance in this as well.

I haven't been super impressed with the trailers so far, but I wasn't impressed with Vice Principals either and that show turned out to be genius. Can't wait.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
I hope this is good. I recently watched the first episode of Vice Principles and while I'm not one that needs characters to be likeable, I want them to at least be human. Maybe its get better, but that started at a 10 so I imagine it only goes further off the rails.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If there is one person I truly "Stan" it's Danny McBride, I am ready and waiting, along with Succession my Sunday nights are now booked solid for awhile.

I hope this is good. I recently watched the first episode of Vice Principles and while I'm not one that needs characters to be likeable, I want them to at least be human. Maybe its get better, but that started at a 10 so I imagine it only goes further off the rails.
Funny enough I really think VP is the most Human role Danny has ever written/played. Underneath the normal bravado that his characters usually are is a middle aged white man who is in a world that a man like that fumbles through but underneath the shit exterior is a heart and a willingness unlike say Kenny Powers to actually learn lessons and grow. Cannot recommend the series enough, definitely the most human and real role out of McBride even amongst his general silliness, the vulnerability is real.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
This is right down Goodman's alley.

Been excited since I've seen the promos on tv, so can't wait.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Damn what a cast! I saw the previews for this awhile back and always wondered what it was. Definitely checking this out!

OP
OP
Cornballer

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
This, Mindhunter, and GLOW within two weeks of each other. We are truly blessed.

tucah

Oct 25, 2017
Even if reviews haven't been glowing (but still solid), I cannot wait. I missed having an HBO Danny McBride show on my television.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Had no idea Walton Goggins was gonna be in this show, that makes me want to watch it even more now.

OP
OP
Cornballer

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Onion A|V Club Review said:
If Eastbound & Down was the story of one man's journey and Vice Principals a friendship-centered two-hander, The Righteous Gemstones is an honest-to-god ensemble piece that's, as you might expect, more concerned with family than it is any single personality. That proves to be the show's biggest strength, as McBride and Hill have an excellent ensemble on their hands.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
Show looks great and john Goodman looks great. I didn't watch the new Roseanne or the the Connors but hes lost a lot of weight

OP
OP
Cornballer

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Brian Grubb said:
The show already feels like McBride's best work, with the needle threading the tiny spaces he has to operate inside to make a show about terrible people work. Your mileage may vary, though. And that's fine. There's plenty of other options out there if this one doesn't do it for you.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Eastbound and Down and vice principals are two of my all-time favorite television shows. Could not be more ready to inject this into my veins.

Lone

Mar 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
And he's about to head down to North Carolina in just about three weeks to start shooting on HALLOWEEN KILLS.

This man is KILLING it.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
Clicked on this thinking it was a weird Steven Universe thing, but I do love Danny McBride.

Especially if its taking the piss out of tele-evangelicals

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah Danny, David, and sometimes Jody are like my own personal seal of guaranteed quality. Just the best.