• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Is Vice Principals like this at all? I'm really digging this series so far and need something to watch in my downtime.
Sure, kinda. I mean, it's certainly something I would recommend to anyone who likes Gemstones. VP is one of my favorite works of comedy of the 2000s. Although the tone is a lot weirder and more specific than just comedy. But it is hilarious.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is Vice Principals like this at all? I'm really digging this series so far and need something to watch in my downtime.
Yeah, I feel a lot more comfortable pairing this with vice principals than either with Eastbound&Down, though it's all the same creatives, VP is the middle step between EB&D and the Gemstones. Plus Goggins is Co-Star.

Basically a long winded way of saying hell yeah, should watch anyways but even more if you like the style of the Gemstones.

OP
OP
Cornballer

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
New episode tonight:
Wicked Lips

Judy and Martin take Gideon behind the scenes of the Gemstone enterprise; Eli tasks Kelvin with doing a satanic sweep for Dot, the rebellious teen daughter of the church's biggest donors; Chad's wife finds some disturbing emails.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Great directing form Jody, the opening "Lucifer" number was brilliant. On HBO McBride, DGG and Hill are 3 for 3.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So what are the chances Danny Mcbride's character saw that it was his son at the end of the episode?

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
So what are the chances Danny Mcbride's character saw that it was his son at the end of the episode?
Na I dont think he does. If anyone I would say the mom recognized him because that would lead to a good story beat.

Man, Keath the satanist has got to be the best character. I just love his mannerism and how weird he is. When the satan group blasted off I was dying to!!!

EDebs1916

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man, the plot armor in regards to avoiding massive physical harm and death for
Scotty and Gideon
is absurd right now.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Keefe is amazing. The shot of him stiffly walking down the street eating an ice cream cone in a haze with his turbo-sad face and thousand yard stare was like something out of absurdist cinema

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just finally had a chance to binge all 4 episodes so far. Absolutely love it. Definitely veers a LOT closer to Vice than Eastbound. The direction often really stands out like it did on Vice - Hill and Gordon Green really are phenomenal in this format.

Patterson steals every scene she is in here just like she did in Vice. What an immense comedic talent.

Oct 29, 2017
This show is like Vice Principals in that, Im really not sure what to make of it. Its not as funny as I hoped despite a premise that seems ripe for lampooning. Its still fun to watch these actors doing their thing but I can't say I'm hooked or really invested in this show.

lamaroo

Oct 25, 2017
Going to be honest, the show was losing my interest through episodes 2-3, but the latest was a return to form imo.

Goggins is always glorious, really happy to see him show up in this, I had no idea going in he was going to be a part of it.

Keefe is the best character though.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I loved that the Satanists had their Thomas The Tank Engine rave, my wife was dying.

I like the show a lot, right up there with VP but I think this feels a bit too big for a half hour show.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Lol @ Kelvin being the teen whisperer , but dude was about that action in the Satan club talking to girl's boyfriend

Jesse telling his wife he's playing car pranks with his friends, while causing a major accident was hilarious. She seems pretty nice with the gun action, if she finds out the truth Jesse might need to be worried .

Mega churches pulling in 3 million on Easter...

Nice to see the Season 2 renewal.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
This show is something else lmao
Really enjoying it so far. It made me rewatch some Vice Principals episodes too

goddamn the realization of megachurches being an actual thing is hard to look past at times.

Praying to Megalord that Stevie makes a cameo in this

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
These guys are great at crafting a show that is both funny and incredibly compelling. I stuck around after the credits to see what was coming up on the next episode, which I usually never do. I'm just really invested in this weird fucking story. I'm not watching it for the jokes at this point (although it's still hilarious), I need to know how Jesse is going to get himself out of this.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I said this earlier in the thread, but Devine nails dipshit youth pastor.

Fucking SkyZone.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said this earlier in the thread, but Devine nails dipshit youth pastor.

Fucking SkyZone.
i've always found him really grating but i love him in this. i guess he's still kinda grating, but in a way that actually makes me laugh instead of just annoying me this time lol

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Love this show.

Growing up in Tennessee and Kentucky, there's a lot of cultural quirks that Danny McBride's show does justice on. The low key satire is great.

Oct 27, 2017
The soundtrack is fucking excellent for setting the mood. The mood in that last scene could have been totally different had they picked a different song.

Also that all-white Vatican pistol is fire.

lush

Oct 26, 2017
Knoxville, TN
Man this show feels like a warm blanket. Killer cast and I'm loving the addition of Cassidy Freeman and Anthony Cavalero to McBride and co. Adam Devine is hilarious as the youth pastor too. Happy to hear they already renewed it. Do we know how many seasons McBride and Hill have planned?

OP
OP
Cornballer

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know how many seasons McBride and Hill have planned?
Polygon interview from August:
Q: So is The Righteous Gemstones meant to be multiple seasons?

A: This one, I've set to be longer than anything we've done before. If I had my way, when this is done, it's like this epic, sprawling tale, like the fucking Thorn Birds or something. You'll know everybody in this family, cousins, great uncles, all these people. In my eyes, this season is chapter one. It's just setting the table for who all these people are and what's about to happen. I would like it to go on longer than what Vice Principals was. Vice Principals was us not really ready to commit to another show we wanted to dedicate six years to, so we decided to just do a coordinated strike, do something that we knew what the ending was going to be, and execute it all at once. That gave me time to think about the bigger story I wanted to tell.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Polygon interview from August:

giphy.gif

Stevie definitely will be in this and be some crazy crazy ass Gemstone cousin

He did that one movie where he was a young priest already too

TheCool69

Oct 27, 2017
Just binged the first four episodes and i love this like i loved Vice Principles.

Every episode has milloin little quick lines that keep busting me up, like in ep 3 when Eli made Seasons guys get naked and said something about lets sen those cheeks and Biilly Boy immediately chimed in with "lets see them balls too"

Seeing that i really really like these two shows would you recommend i check out eastboud and Down? Is it similar vibe?

And what is that theme song that they keep repeating, sounds like a choir. Its really haunting

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just binged the first four episodes and i love this like i loved Vice Principles.

Every episode has milloin little quick lines that keep busting me up, like in ep 3 when Eli made Seasons guys get naked and said something about lets sen those cheeks and Biilly Boy immediately chimed in with "lets see them balls too"

Seeing that i really really like these two shows would you recommend i check out eastboud and Down? Is it similar vibe?

And what is that theme song that they keep repeating, sounds like a choir. Its really haunting
Eastbound & Down is actually a lot funnier in my opinion. The characters while fleshed out are not as realistic at times, it can get absurd, and it never does drama straight it always services the comedy in one way or the other.

But yes not only should you watch it but (and this is the reason I point out the differences) VP's and Gemstones so far are more mature, slightly better works, however I consider EB&D to be the greatest television comedy ever made.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually rewatching EB&D right now in between Sundays...

It is great. More raw than either VP or RG and I'd argue it's 'pure McBride/Hill' as they're unconcerned with creating a more complex narrative. Kenny in Mexico is such an awesome turn.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
That was a really, really fucking good episode. Minimal comedy, all character work. Goggins, Goodman, and Nettles doing God's work in the episode.
And also a vital episode because it completely informs how you have been seeing things up until this point, and will shape how you see things to come.

And man, Baby Billy is a great and sad character. I am all for the comedy of the series, but if they can keep delivering episodes like that all is well in the world.