• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It took most the season to ramp to it but I think I laughed more than I ever did with EB&D or VP, and it still had some touching moments like Jesse hugging Gideon and just sad like with Keefe.

How do these guys do it, they just get better and better.

OP
OP
Cornballer

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Collider: 'The Righteous Gemstones': Edi Patterson, Jody Hill, and David Gordon Green on the HBO Series
While at the HBO portion of the Television Critics Association Press Tour, Collider got the opportunity to sit down and chat with Jody Hill, David Gordon Green and actress Edi Patterson (who plays Gemstone daughter, Judy) about the appeal of a show like The Righteous Gemstones, why Judy Gemstone is "like a fucked up swan," the endless possibilities with the humor, splitting up duties as directors, why this creative team has stuck together on a variety of projects over the years, the biggest production challenges with this show, and whether Judy thinks she could take over the family business.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Jesse completely not getting why Gideon gave him the harddrive and doing that smug self serving speech for his mea culpa was great. A pitch perfect example of a disingenuous apology.

Oct 25, 2017
It just occurred to me that this show will almost certainly be bringing in various comedic actors in future seasons....

Assuming they'll stay closer to EB&D which had Ken Marino, Will Ferrel, Craig Robinson, Lily Tomlin, Jason Sudeikis, Michael Peña....I feel like RG has a responsibility to bring back Stevie in some capacity - maybe a fucked up cousin or something.

Vice Principals was shot in one go so they didn't really have the opportunity to introduce one-off major characters in the same way.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It just occurred to me that this show will almost certainly be bringing in various comedic actors in future seasons....

Assuming they'll stay closer to EB&D which had Ken Marino, Will Ferrel, Craig Robinson, Lily Tomlin, Jason Sudeikis, Michael Peña....I feel like RG has a responsibility to bring back Stevie in some capacity - maybe a fucked up cousin or something.

Vice Principals was shot in one go so they didn't really have the opportunity to introduce one-off major characters in the same way.
i had the same thought recently. i could see him in a hapless sycophantic simpleton role, though in some ways that's already filled by Keef, but i could also see him doing the holy roller routine too.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That was an absolutely phenomenal episode. Is there anything Walton Goggins stars in that he doesnt absolutely steal every scene he is in?

I'm struggling to think of an example. Dude might be the best actor working today.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That was an absolutely phenomenal episode. Is there anything Walton Goggins stars in that he doesnt absolutely steal every scene he is in?

I'm struggling to think of an example. Dude might be the best actor working today.
You might be right, seeing his name is pretty much a seal of quality for me now. Except maybe Antman & the wasp, which while I liked it and thought it was funny it wasted Walton's talents.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

Season 6 of Justified, for all you know!

OP
OP
Cornballer

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Season 6 of Justified, for all you know!
lol

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm pretty certain the HBO voice said that episode was the season finale before it started, but there is another next week, right?

weird.

Anyway. That was top stuff.

The well done emotional moments with all the ridiculousness is the best.

Oct 25, 2017
In a way it feels like a finale isn't necessary now, but I figure they'll open up new threads (Baby Billy and $$) and begin to set up season 2.

I just reached season 5 of The Shield. Goggins is so vanilla in this, comparatively, but still makes for one of the better characters on the show.

Last edited:

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Someone please make a gif of Jesse running away, and Amber's terminator like walk as she shoots him in the ass? lol

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No, it's good (S3 was weak and I think maybe 5 was as well? idk it's been too many years). Solo just never watched it for some reason!

If memory serves I was going through some relationship turmoil at the time and was pretty distracted......funny enough, 4 years later still in that relationship, going strong, and now we have a new daughter!

tldr; I will watch S6 someday, promise!

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
If memory serves I was going through some relationship turmoil at the time and was pretty distracted......funny enough, 4 years later still in that relationship, going strong, and now we have a new daughter!

tldr; I will watch S6 someday, promise!

That's...a pretty good excuse actually. Congrats!

OP
OP
Cornballer

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Season finale tonight:
Better Is the End of a Thing Than Its Beginning

Eli questions his children's future in the Gemstone ministry; Jesse struggles to keep his marriage together; Judy opens up to BJ about her past; a disillusioned Kelvin embraces his dark side.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
That was a really nice finale. Even if it didnt get a second season that was a nice resolution to things.
Judy and Keefe still the MVPs of the show.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Seems weird that there is virtually no hanging threads to kick off from for a season 2, when Vice Principals had an insane cliffhanger.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
I was not expecting that to be the funniest episode of the season. The entire Outback Steakhouse scene was incredible. Judy > everyone else

I liked that it was a happy ending, but am interested in what they have in store for next season. Danny McBride said he always envisioned it as a multi-season show, so they do have an idea of where they're headed even though it seemed like everything was wrapped up tonight.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Loved it. Nice to see a Danny written, Danny acted character actually learn a true lesson the right way and get something out of it, while also being earned (because Gamby was at heart a decent guy and got a happy ending but I don't really feel like he earned the true penance that Jesse has seemed to).

Also cements for me (to the suprise of no one since I am in both action and self admittance their biggest stan on this forum) that the trio is the top of the creative field right now and the height they have reached here convinced me that they are even now getting better with each successive project so the peak is still in the future.

So glad this is in my lifetime, all the horrible shit day in day out especially being who I am and as an American they are one truly bright spot that gets my mind off the shit and inspire hope, even if only for a little while.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
They really did wrap everything with a bow. For a show that was basically guaranteed a second season based on the creators and HBO history, that was surprising to see.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
weird. I didn't realize there was an episode this week. I thought the last episode was a pretty good finale.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
" Even on your butthole sis"
" That's nice"

Love how much more Judy got as the show went along and how up for it Edi was, I hope she gets the proper recognition because she was hilarious throughout

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great finale and makes you want to see where it's headed. McBride has gotten so much better at building the characters and story

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
That Judy story was fuuuuucked up. BJ's takeaway from it was ridiculous.

Eli freaking out about throwing the Jesus figurine was hilarious even after parts of that have been used in promos for months.

Seems weird that there is virtually no hanging threads to kick off from for a season 2, when Vice Principals had an insane cliffhanger.
Vice Principals was conceived and shot as an 18 episode show split down the middle, so that made sense. This show is functionally very different.